Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

ungulateman posted:

Re: Lucina's mom

Marrying Chrom to the Avatar is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Your self-insert just stole the main character and had his babies. You monster.

- Morgan/Lucina sibling support sucks and is bad.

Marrying Chrom to Olivia is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Chrom does not call Cynthia his pega-pony-princess.

- Lucina cannot marry the Best Dude since he's her brother.

Marrying Chrom to Maribelle is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Haha, you're using Maribelle.

- Brady without blonde hair looks absolutely ridiculous.

Marrying Chrom to Sumia is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- No Lucina/Cynthia non-sibling support ("SHINE FORTH, LIGHT OF JUSTICE!").

- Henry is not the Best Dad for the Best Girl.

Marrying Chrom to Sully is a Good Right Thing for the following reasons:

- gently caress Galeforce.

- Sully is the Queen of Badass and Kjelle the Princess of Being a Dick.

Therefore, marrying Chrom to anyone but Sully is badwrongfun. QED. :colbert:

Gaius is better as Cynthia's dad because she looks the best with his hair.

Otherwise this is fairly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Davincie posted:

I don't know about the Kjelle/Lucina sibling support but the normal one is actually funny and fleshes her out a bit.

Also shelve Vaike, worst drat character by far.

Bizarrely, the sibling support is basically Lucina/Cynthia, which is pretty weird since it clashes so badly with her personality.

And Vaike isn't an archer with worse stats than the generic level 1 Hard mode archers in his joining chapter, so I can't really call him the worst. I mean, I always bench him because he's a fighter, but at worst he can pair up with someone who could use the strength boost.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

All sibling support conversations are the same. So are parent supports.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

And Vaike isn't an archer with worse stats than the generic level 1 Hard mode archers in his joining chapter, so I can't really call him the worst. I mean, I always bench him because he's a fighter, but at worst he can pair up with someone who could use the strength boost.

The trick with Vaike is he can only work with his steroids(second seal) pumping through his veins. Make him hit the gym enough to become a Barbarian and watch him wreck everything he can touch.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

The trick with Vaike is he can only work with his steroids(second seal) pumping through his veins. Make him hit the gym enough to become a Barbarian and watch him wreck everything he can touch.

To be honest, part of my problem with him is that most enemies before Cherche are sword or axe users, unless I'm remembering wrong. Even someone like Bartre was okay despite his lopsided stats for another guy to smash in cavalier and pegasus knight skulls, at least on Hector Normal.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest, part of my problem with him is that most enemies before Cherche are sword or axe users, unless I'm remembering wrong. Even someone like Bartre was okay despite his lopsided stats for another guy to smash in cavalier and pegasus knight skulls, at least on Hector Normal.

Bartre had one of the best supports in the game with Canas, though.

The first time I played through FE:A, I didn't realize what an S support meant and married the Avatar to Panne. Which wasn't so bad, except it makes Morgan start as a Taguel. This is all super interesting, though. Thanks, y'all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bogart posted:

Bartre had one of the best supports in the game with Canas, though.

Bartre's supports are cool in general, it's why I'm trying to use him even though he can't double HHM Soldiers. Vaike is just Bartre but less cartoonishly melodramatic and dumb. He has tenure though. :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My Vaike is a loving critlord despite his numbers not being that high, and I made him a Hero to encourage that. That's enough backtalk. :c00lbert:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Can definitely vouche for Vaike as a barbarian, as soon as he hit 10 on my current hard run, I flipped him over to barbarian and actually had to hold him back at lv.5 to keep him from hogging too much experience.

edit: the extra gold from pillage is really really nice. More second seals :unsmigghh:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Pair Vaike with Lon'qu. Now Vaike and double people and Lon'qu can do non-pathetic amounts of damage.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Manatee Cannon posted:

All sibling support conversations are the same. So are parent supports.

Yeah, but even generic supports can fit certain characters better than others. Lucina's sibling supports seem to fit Cynthia or (to a lesser extent) Morgan better than the others, if only because both of them actually look and act younger than Lucina.

VVVEdit: Which is why I like him as Chrom's son. That and, frankly, he just looks the part with his hair and affinity for swords and the color blue.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 1, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, but even generic supports can fit certain characters better than others. Lucina's sibling supports seem to fit Cynthia or (to a lesser extent) Morgan better than the others, if only because both of them actually look and act younger than Lucina.

Yeah, the best generic father support is Chrom to Inigo. Chrom's support with Brady, Kjelle, and Cynthia only barely makes any sense but its absolutely amazing with Inigo.

Ditto Kellam as Severa's father, and Vaike as Laurent's.

The worst fitting family I think you can make though is through pairing the Avatar and Tharja. None of the supports make any sense in context with each other. Its actually hilarious. You have Tharja alternate being creepily submissive to the Avatar and absolutely dominating the Avatar. Noire swinging between her normal (insane) self and relatively hinged elder sister to wacky Morgan. Morgan's own supports with the parents which paint a really weird picture... Its a huge clusterfuck. Not to mention the timeline issues that Noire's father support imply.

Marrying Panne is a close second though considering Yarne keeps up with his 'last of the Taguel' schtick.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 1, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Regarding Noire's father support with the Avatar, I recall reading that in the kids's timeline, considering Lucina is obviously not around, what sets off the war with Plegia is Emmeryn's assassination. As such, no leap of faith for peace, and Plegia's army remains firmly with Gangrel, sparking a much longer war, giving ample time for everything to happens.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

Can definitely vouche for Vaike as a barbarian, as soon as he hit 10 on my current hard run, I flipped him over to barbarian and actually had to hold him back at lv.5 to keep him from hogging too much experience.

edit: the extra gold from pillage is really really nice. More second seals :unsmigghh:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Pair Vaike with Lon'qu. Now Vaike and double people and Lon'qu can do non-pathetic amounts of damage.

Do both of these and have Vaike become an unstoppable axe murderer who beats out your avatar for MVP by like 30 kills. Worked for me on my first playthrough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Geostomp posted:

VVVEdit: Which is why I like him as Chrom's son. That and, frankly, he just looks the part with his hair and affinity for swords and the color blue.

You're right, they do fit some people better. Though I don't agree that Lucina's support fits Morgan. In fact I'd say it fits him the worst as it outright contradicts a few things that are established about him through other supports.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're right, they do fit some people better. Though I don't agree that Lucina's support fits Morgan. In fact I'd say it fits him the worst as it outright contradicts a few things that are established about him through other supports.

And in the end, as always, it comes to a victory for Chrom's little pega-pony princess.

(Really, looking at the details the biggest disappointment for Kjelle isn't the fact she and Lucina don't benefit from the relevant genetics. It's that her unique dialog with Chrom as a father in the recruitment mission is dull as all hell.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ungulateman posted:

Marrying Chrom to Maribelle is a Bad Wrong Thing for the following reasons:

- Haha, you're using Maribelle.

Says the guy who clearly never had the RNG give him Maribelle, the destroyer of worlds. :colbert:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Says the guy who clearly never had the RNG give him Maribelle, the destroyer of worlds. :colbert:

I didn't either- I just got Maribelle, Not Even a Very Good Healer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And yet still the best healer you get. Lissa is so bad. :sigh:

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Zore posted:

Yeah, the best generic father support is Chrom to Inigo. Chrom's support with Brady, Kjelle, and Cynthia only barely makes any sense but its absolutely amazing with Inigo.

Ditto Kellam as Severa's father, and Vaike as Laurent's.

The worst fitting family I think you can make though is through pairing the Avatar and Tharja. None of the supports make any sense in context with each other. Its actually hilarious. You have Tharja alternate being creepily submissive to the Avatar and absolutely dominating the Avatar. Noire swinging between her normal (insane) self and relatively hinged elder sister to wacky Morgan. Morgan's own supports with the parents which paint a really weird picture... Its a huge clusterfuck. Not to mention the timeline issues that Noire's father support imply.

I just finished up my first playthrough and oddly I had every pairing that you listed. I knew there were generic supports but some were so fitting that I thought there might be a few unique ones(mostly Chrom+Inigo).

I think one of my stranger pairings was Lissa+Lon'qu. Owain actually ends up looking a lot like Lon'qu and at first his little act makes it seem like hes trying too hard to be cool like his dad, only with the opposite method.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have never played FEA without getting a billion statups for my characters by the time they cap levels even without abusing Seals, what are you doing wrong? :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

In what universe can a Lissa end up bad enough to be not one of the best healers across all FE games?

Seriously I've never had her end up not completely amazing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Shortest Path posted:

In what universe can a Lissa end up bad enough to be not one of the best healers across all FE games?

Seriously I've never had her end up not completely amazing.

She has the lowest total stat growth of anyone you can recruit and I've been screwed over by her stats early on a lot of times.

14 magic, 11 speed and 7 defense as a level 5 Sage (after 20 levels of Cleric) once. Most of the time she's not all that much better than that. And I've never had her become more than passable without pretty extreme grinding.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Zore posted:

She has the lowest total stat growth of anyone you can recruit and I've been screwed over by her stats early on a lot of times.

14 magic, 11 speed and 7 defense as a level 5 Sage (after 20 levels of Cleric) once. Most of the time she's not all that much better than that. And I've never had her become more than passable without pretty extreme grinding.

This is my current Lissa right here, but in previous runs she turned out alright. Just alright though- I usually end up just slapping a heal staff on one of my Sage/Sorcerors because I go heavy on speed tanks and don't have to heal often enough to justify a dedicated healer after a certain point.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

My first playthrough is still chugging along, I've gotten to the second map featuring Walhart and it's definitely a challenge with the sheer number of units it throws at you. I took a break to fight some Risen so that the people I usually have supporting my monster units could gain a little EXP and maybe be able to fight on their own.

I'm only just getting the hang of this reclassing business, Lucina hit level 20 Lord and I decided to second seal her to a pegasus knight instead of a great lord. I have a pile of unused second seals which will probably come back to bite me somehow. Also I have a few other kid units that I could recruit but I'm torn between just getting cool new characters and waiting a map or two to try and get them fun new abilities.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Is beating Apotheosis really worth it, even if it's just once? I did get it, but after playing all the rest of the DLC, it looks like all that's left on my agenda for this file is 'grind a whole loving lot, use one of a handful of broken strategies to beat one map'.

Gotta admit though, once you get one limit breaker, it's really really easy to get more. Just move Chrom onto Nah, hit end turn 10-15 times. :geno:

edit: mighta screwed myself a bit by cycling some of my units through too many classes. The internal level on Morgan and a few others is high enough that even abusing EXPonential Growth takes a pretty decent time investment. I might be better off starting a new game and this time make sure that everyone who needs a Limit Breaker gets one before I start reclassing.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 16, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

THE loving MOON posted:

Is beating Apotheosis really worth it, even if it's just once? I did get it, but after playing all the rest of the DLC, it looks like all that's left on my agenda for this file is 'grind a whole loving lot, use one of a handful of broken strategies to beat one map'.

Gotta admit though, once you get one limit breaker, it's really really easy to get more. Just move Chrom onto Nah, hit end turn 10-15 times. :geno:

edit: mighta screwed myself a bit by cycling some of my units through too many classes. The internal level on Morgan and a few others is high enough that even abusing EXPonential Growth takes a pretty decent time investment. I might be better off starting a new game and this time make sure that everyone who needs a Limit Breaker gets one before I start reclassing.

Don't grind on EXPonential growth, grind on Lost Bloodlines 3 as soon as your character is strong enough to solo it. Eventually you get to the point tha all kills give the minimum amount of experience, and that map has the most enemies that suicide into you the fastest.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just got the game, and I'm on Chapter 3. 4 People have already permanently died. :negative:

Is this normal for Fire Emblem? This is my introduction to the series.

Also, Fredrick is just too good. I know the OP says not to use him as much, but drat does he wreck dudes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

People usually just reset when someone dies. Also Fred is good now but he falls off incredibly hard by the mid game. Any normal promoted unit would have 10+ more points in every stat at his level. Your other units want experience way more.

THE loving MOON posted:

Is beating Apotheosis really worth it, even if it's just once?

You get a legacy character for beating the easy path and an ultimate emblem for beating the hard path. Legacy characters are only good for rallying and the emblem is just a chunk of money (though really, at that point what could they eve give you that would make a difference anyway?), so if you don't care about the challenge Apotheosis has nothing for you. I think it's fun but it does require a shitload of grinding.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The reason Fredrick is so good is that he's already promoted and thus way outclasses the mooks you're fighting at the beginning. What you need to realize though is that by relying on him, you're wasting experience by not giving it to weaker units. As you get further in the game, Fredrick will become less useful as enemies get stronger and you could be in trouble if you don't train other folks.

That's the general concept anyway. It's not as big a deal in this game since experience is unlimited, but if you abuse Fred too much you may end up getting stuck grinding.

As for losing people, you should consider restarting a level if someone dies. I wouldn't recommend an ironman run for your first time through an FE game. It is possible, even in this game which is easier than some past ones, to permanently screw yourself over if too many people die.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It still is a big deal because Fred requires ridiculous amounts of experience for diminishing returns. After hitting the level cap 3+ times and needing multiple max level revenants in the grinding chapter to level up he'll still have stats in the mid 20s/low 30s if you're lucky.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Though, if you have Lost Bloodlines 3 and give him Paragon, it significantly lessens the burden of training him.

Also, if you're min-maxing, his class set packs Cavalier as one of his classes which you'll want to pass down to kids who can't access that class or the Knight class. The reason for this is that Great Knight skills own.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just ended up restarting since I lost too many people. I'm doing better now, but I have a lot of dudes. Should I be switching them in and out of battles to keep them all around the same level, or use the same guys throughout the whole game?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

I just ended up restarting since I lost too many people. I'm doing better now, but I have a lot of dudes. Should I be switching them in and out of battles to keep them all around the same level, or use the same guys throughout the whole game?

That's more up to personal style, but it never hurts to spread the XP around a little bit. Eventually you'll develop a core of units you like using who are really strong, and then you can bring basically anyone else along for the ride that you feel like trying out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That said, you're never going to be able to field more than 15 people at once, and for most of the game it's going to be less than that. Ultimately you're going to want to settle on a core team of about that size, but don't be afraid to switch people out and experiment. You keep gaining new units well into the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That said, you're never going to be able to field more than 15 people at once, and for most of the game it's going to be less than that. Ultimately you're going to want to settle on a core team of about that size, but don't be afraid to switch people out and experiment. You keep gaining new units well into the game.

Well, you keep getting new units if you keep the old ones alive and marry them off. Otherwise between chapters 13 and 23 you get all of two units. And then only two more after that.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Speaking of units you gain later in the game, I found that the support system spoiled me so much that I pretty much never used Say'ri since she could only interact with the avatar and that's just boring. But then I play on casual so everyone gets to live!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She has another support, but yeah Say'ri is really crippled by her support options. She'd be a straight upgrade to Lon'qu otherwise. That's the problem with the support/eugenics stuff, if a unit doesn't have many supports and doesn't have a kid there's zero reason to use them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Manatee Cannon posted:

She has another support, but yeah Say'ri is really crippled by her support options. She'd be a straight upgrade to Lon'qu otherwise. That's the problem with the support/eugenics stuff, if a unit doesn't have many supports and doesn't have a kid there's zero reason to use them.

On the other hand, Chrom is kinda bland on the F!Avatar side and everyone else are much more interesting options. :v:

Though I tend to marry +Mag/-Str Female Avatars to Gangrel for some rather sweet magic modifiers on Male Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not sure what that has to do with Say'ri, but ok? :shrug:

Though you could do waaaaaaaay better than Gangrel for mage Morgan.

• Locked thread