Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Remember, sound in space. I find that slightly more annoying.
They actually apparently cover this in the radio play for ANH, of all places. Basically the sound is made by the ship computer so some idiot like Luke can get an idea of where the TIE Fighters he can't look at are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

They actually apparently cover this in the radio play for ANH, of all places. Basically the sound is made by the ship computer so some idiot like Luke can get an idea of where the TIE Fighters he can't look at are.

Actually it makes sense.Your ears ain't doing much else when you're star fighting and we actually use sound to get a sense of our surroundings in the real world, so the computer using sound to tell you "HEY! ITS OVER THERE" would be perfect.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
We don't need a remaster of Republic Commando, we need Imperial Commando. They really would need to make the guns more punchy, though. They felt anemic in RC.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Preechr posted:

We don't need a remaster of Republic Commando, we need Imperial Commando. They really would need to make the guns more punchy, though. They felt anemic in RC.

Yeah! I never thought I would ever hate Yoda, but dammit if I wasn't up for a Jedi purge by the end of RC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

Actually it makes sense.Your ears ain't doing much else when you're star fighting and we actually use sound to get a sense of our surroundings in the real world, so the computer using sound to tell you "HEY! ITS OVER THERE" would be perfect.

It's also an increasingly common bit of technology in science fiction. Mass Effect and Star Trek have both made mention of auditory simulators for pilots.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Calax posted:

Yay for original Xbox technology! IMO I think Republic Commando would be the perfect game to update for a new product line by disney. Give it to Crytek or Respawn and you could have something very special (if you force them to make it Single Player only which is the antethesis of the current business model)

Wolfenstein seems to be doing pretty well by excelling at being a single player shooter.

And then there's DXHR holding down the other corner of FPSes with the FPS RPG.

I couldn't tell you anything about MP shooters other than their business models being ultimately self-defeating with the DLC map playerbase segmentation and all and I honestly haven't played or know about any current MP shooter, but I realize that is just me.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

Wolfenstein seems to be doing pretty well by excelling at being a single player shooter.

And then there's DXHR holding down the other corner of FPSes with the FPS RPG.

I couldn't tell you anything about MP shooters other than their business models being ultimately self-defeating with the DLC map playerbase segmentation and all and I honestly haven't played or know about any current MP shooter, but I realize that is just me.

I meant just "Cram multiplayer and online connectivity into EVERYTHING" more than just MP FPS's. Wolfenstien was from bethesda, Deus Ex was from Eidos. From activision and EA in recent years we've had solely multiplayer focused titles (the Recent CoD's etc have all been obviously MP first story second). And EA itself is heavily pushing Origin into the arena, Although I'm not sure EA would want to produce something that would deliberately take out of their own marketing base (Battlefield Hardline hasn't done that well long term on PC it seems though).

The thing about MP based FPS's is that they're a license to print money. You pay to get the base game, you pay to get the map packs, you can get some extra support from console developers because your players are paying THEM to even play the bloody thing, and you can find other ways to micro transact within the game to allow people to unlock everything early.

I would think that if they did a Republic Commando sequel it'd be for the Imperial era, or the new movies Era that they're trying to hype up. But the games in and of themselves seem to be in a wierd spot because they're supposed to be like the Saving Private Ryan of Star Wars's 1942.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cythereal posted:

It's also an increasingly common bit of technology in science fiction. Mass Effect and Star Trek have both made mention of auditory simulators for pilots.

It's a useful excuse for the kind of reader/viewer who gets mad about sound in space, but it's never made any practical sense.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Come on, man. Rollin' low through the trenches with a 7.1 surround sound, spinners on your ion engines, thumpin' the bass, and gettin' the honeys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

General Battuta posted:

It's a useful excuse for the kind of reader/viewer who gets mad about sound in space, but it's never made any practical sense.

In Mass Effect, it's purely for psychological effect: we expect space flight and battle to be noisy, so auditory simulators make it so. Your shuttle pilot in 3 mentions he sometimes likes to turn them off to fly in silence.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, the idea of 'use sound to convey information' is a good one! We've evolved to use sound to cue for danger and environmental data. The silly part is the idea of some software engineer carefully mixing up TIE engine noises out of elephant bantha screams, or explosions sounding like explosions. It'd probably work more like modern military aircraft, with a set of clear, easily distinguished cues that the pilot can associate with imperative information.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Clearly Star Wars space just has oxygen in it. That also explains all of the huge open bays we see in docking bays (what, you thought they had force fields?), the general lack of airlocks anywhere, X-Wing pilots with nothing separating them from open space but a flimsy cockpit canopy, the fact that every planet we visit (including Bespin, a gas giant) just happens to have a breathable atmosphere, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hangar bays have magnetic containment fields. That's what the glowing outlines around hangars are

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In Star Wars sound can travel through a vacuum and space ships fly like planes. Now don't worry your little pumpkin head about it.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Cythereal posted:

In Mass Effect, it's purely for psychological effect: we expect space flight and battle to be noisy, so auditory simulators make it so. Your shuttle pilot in 3 mentions he sometimes likes to turn them off to fly in silence.

Weirdly enough, this has already happened. Some of the first mass produced hybrid cars were so quiet in electric mode, pedestrians couldn't hear them coming, so they were fitted with external speakers that play an MP3 of audible engine noise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calax posted:

I would think that if they did a Republic Commando sequel it'd be for the Imperial era, or the new movies Era that they're trying to hype up. But the games in and of themselves seem to be in a wierd spot because they're supposed to be like the Saving Private Ryan of Star Wars's 1942.

The scene in the first teaser with the stormtroopers in the transport kind of reminded me of the Republic Commando intro cinematic when I first saw it.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Cythereal posted:

Where in Star Trek? Why do I feel like it involve Tom Paris. loving Voyager! :argh:

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Weirdly enough, this has already happened. Some of the first mass produced hybrid cars were so quiet in electric mode, pedestrians couldn't hear them coming, so they were fitted with external speakers that play an MP3 of audible engine noise.
Like in The Office when Andy ran over Dwight in his Prius running at low speeds. Before the Dark Times. Before Michael left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did any of the Legends supplementary guide books (e.g. the Essential Guide series - I didn't get any of them past New Alien Species) ever go into the "how" of the Force and Force powers? Like, it's explicitly laid out as being "an energy field created by all living things" but then it must also follow that everyone must have some Force inside them even if they can't sense it or touch it. I believe Qui-Gon says this when he's explaining midi-chlorians to Anakin; he says life can't exist without them, so everyone must have them, and your sensitivity to the Force depends on how many you have. So, when a Jedi or a Sith or one of the seemingly millions of other Force cults "uses" the Force, are they using internal Force energy they have inside them, or are they channelling external ubiquitous Force energy through themselves, with their Force-sensitivity/midi-chlorians acting as a kind of facilitating medium?

I suppose what I'm wondering is whether (and leaving aside the Mortis characters and Abeloth and all that stuff for a moment) the Force is more akin to chi or aether?

(And yes, before anyone says so, I realise this is pretty :spergin: even by the standards of a Star Wars Expanded Universe thread. :v:)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wheat Loaf posted:

(And yes, before anyone says so, I realise this is pretty :spergin: even by the standards of a Star Wars Expanded Universe thread. :v:)

It's just magic dude.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did any of the Legends supplementary guide books (e.g. the Essential Guide series - I didn't get any of them past New Alien Species) ever go into the "how" of the Force and Force powers? Like, it's explicitly laid out as being "an energy field created by all living things" but then it must also follow that everyone must have some Force inside them even if they can't sense it or touch it. I believe Qui-Gon says this when he's explaining midi-chlorians to Anakin; he says life can't exist without them, so everyone must have them, and your sensitivity to the Force depends on how many you have. So, when a Jedi or a Sith or one of the seemingly millions of other Force cults "uses" the Force, are they using internal Force energy they have inside them, or are they channelling external ubiquitous Force energy through themselves, with their Force-sensitivity/midi-chlorians acting as a kind of facilitating medium?

I suppose what I'm wondering is whether (and leaving aside the Mortis characters and Abeloth and all that stuff for a moment) the Force is more akin to chi or aether?

I think it's more channeling external energy, and your "power" as a force user depends on how well you can channel it. That's how I think of it at least.

Yoda posted:

Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us, and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 16, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember the really early RPG stuff that West End put out in the late 80s (even before the EU proper began) stated that everyone had at least some degree of Force potential/contact with the Force. The reason Han and Wedge were so lucky according to it was because they were slightly more in tune with the Force than others, even if it wasn't anywhere close to the Jedi. I think a few of the 1980s Marvel comics also indicated that pretty much anyone had the potential to become a Jedi and use the Force if they could train enough and achieve that sort of mental balance.

I'm guessing the Essential Guide to the Force that came out 10 years or so ago probably goes into it more in-depth but that's one of the guides I never got around to reading. Although there are some EU books I can recall kind of touching on this even so - in Tales of the Jedi for example, when Ulic is killed in the last issue he still becomes one with the Force even though he supposedly had been cut off from it, and in Traitor Vergere teaches that the Yuuzhan Vong are still part of the Force, just at a level beyond what the Jedi conceptualize.

Anyway, on a different Legends-related topic, back in 1992, a fantasy author named Kenneth Flint was commissioned to write a trilogy of books set immediately after Return of the Jedi. He wrote the first book but apparently due to Bantam politics it got pushed aside in favor of The Truce at Bakura. He's now releasing it on the Star Wars Timeline website in chunks, albeit with editing to make it fit within the EU timeline as it developed (so it's instead set immediately after Truce at Bakura, though that's almost completely irrelevant). The link is:

http://www.starwarstimeline.net/The%20Heart%20of%20the%20Jedi.htm

I've just started reading it, but it's interesting to read basically what's not only a lost Bantam work, but one that could have set the EU on a wildly different path if it had actually been published in 1993 rather than Truce at Bakura.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's so weird to look at the evolution of the Force and Force Sensitivity. In ANH, it really seems like literally anyone could become a space wizard Jedi if they just put in the time and effort, and had faith. Luke goes from zero knowledge of the force to 'able to deflect blasters blind' in a couple hours' tutelage. Motti and Han refer to the Force use in religious and magical terms, not as something genetic.

When RotJ hits, Luke is talking about the force being strong in his family. It's become something genetic/dynastic.

Then in the prequels, the Jedi are a monastic order that track down children and take them from their families for training.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 16, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously, Lucas was heavily influenced by Kurosawa's samurai films, and, while I may have just read too much Usagi Yojimbo, I have a distinct impression that the Jedi were conceived as being more along the lines of samurai in the original trilogy, before becoming more akin to the Knights Templar in the prequels.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
This is my favorite explanation of the Force. It's essentially just author fiat, straight up (as opposed to magic, which can seem a lot more like an independent entity in some universes). I mean, it's not fundamentally different, but I think Star Wars is the barest example. It's not a system of super powers with rules or even much flavor - the way authors use it seems defined by their whims and the precedents set by previous authors.

But the biggest thing to me is that it gets used so often not just for powers but to explain plot events and worldbuilding. It literally manifests morality into the fabric of the universe. People use it to explain destiny things all the time - that Infinities story about the "R2 unit with a bad motivator" or even that stupid explanation of Wedge and Han's "luck." It's kind of obvious and tautological but I think it's a neat frame to apply.

KOTOR 2 has some particularly interesting stuff about this idea, since Kreia is trying to kill the Force and end its influence over everyone's destinies. She's trying to stop SW writers from incessantly destroying the galaxy for audience amusement, essentially. Which is a neat metafictional idea and it makes me wish KOTOR 2 didn't suck at executing it :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Anyway, on a different Legends-related topic, back in 1992, a fantasy author named Kenneth Flint was commissioned to write a trilogy of books set immediately after Return of the Jedi. He wrote the first book but apparently due to Bantam politics it got pushed aside in favor of The Truce at Bakura. He's now releasing it on the Star Wars Timeline website in chunks, albeit with editing to make it fit within the EU timeline as it developed (so it's instead set immediately after Truce at Bakura, though that's almost completely irrelevant). The link is:

I've just started reading it, but it's interesting to read basically what's not only a lost Bantam work, but one that could have set the EU on a wildly different path if it had actually been published in 1993 rather than Truce at Bakura.

There's something wonderfully innocent about it. I mean, c'mon, look at this

quote:

The vast silence of that planetless sector of space was pierced through with the sizzling noise of laser fire as a huge craft glided suddenly into view.

It was a Victory-class Star Destroyer of the Empire, and it was engaged in a savage fight.

The powerful battleship was a massive, sharply angled wedge of metal. The keen spear-tip of its long prow thrust far into the empty dark ahead. The sides of its broadening hull bristled with rows of turbolaser batteries.

These were all firing frantically now, spewing out a blazing network of ruby colored bolts. But those bolts were not directed at some target ahead. They were all being fired toward the rear, and other bolts of a brilliant emerald hue were being returned, crisscrossing the Imperial fire.

And then the source of this other fire hove into view close astern. The Star Destroyer was not giving chase. It was being hotly pursued.

The pursuer was an MC80 Liberty type Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, another battleship, but one of pelagic design with a blistered oval hull.

Though an organic-looking and well-designed craft in contrast with the hard-edged bulk of the Imperial ship, it was still a fair opponent for the other man-of-war.

In fact, as the two dreadnoughts sailed on, locked in furious battle, it became quickly obvious that the Star Destroyer was vastly overmatched. The intersecting exchanges of broadsides that wove a brilliant latticework across the blackness caused many more blooming flashes of hits upon the Imperial than on its foe. And the pursuer was slowly but relentlessly closing in.

The frequency of its hits was soon creating a constant fireworks display across the Star Destroyer’s sides and rear. They were inflicting much damage, destroying systems and power supplies, their accumulated effect crippling the Imperial ship.

:ohdear:

Prose aside, the premise of the opening's actually pretty cute as a piece of formal gamesmanship. They replay the ANH boarding with Luke and the rebels on the attacking side.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember the really early RPG stuff that West End put out in the late 80s (even before the EU proper began) stated that everyone had at least some degree of Force potential/contact with the Force. The reason Han and Wedge were so lucky according to it was because they were slightly more in tune with the Force than others, even if it wasn't anywhere close to the Jedi. I think a few of the 1980s Marvel comics also indicated that pretty much anyone had the potential to become a Jedi and use the Force if they could train enough and achieve that sort of mental balance.

I'm guessing the Essential Guide to the Force that came out 10 years or so ago probably goes into it more in-depth but that's one of the guides I never got around to reading. Although there are some EU books I can recall kind of touching on this even so - in Tales of the Jedi for example, when Ulic is killed in the last issue he still becomes one with the Force even though he supposedly had been cut off from it, and in Traitor Vergere teaches that the Yuuzhan Vong are still part of the Force, just at a level beyond what the Jedi conceptualize.

Just started reading but something about the writing just screams "This is Bantam!"

Also,that's certainly a death.

quote:

“I’m Chief Dockmaster Ptomel,” said the other with an air of much self-importance, “Now, I’m quite busy,” he added dismissingly. “You must notice there’s a great deal of confusion here. All the panic since the Emperor’s death, and…”

Tharkus brusquely cut him off. “That will end right now, Dockmaster! You will see that no more craft depart this base without permission of the High Command.”

The man gave a laugh at that. He waved about him at the colossal bedlam. “Can you see this? Do you really expect me to stop it?”

“I do,” Tharkus said domineeringly. “It’s my order.”

Ptomel’s red face grew redder, “And just who are you to give that order?” he said indignantly. “These are mostly civilian people here. Members of the Emperor’s government, not of your military. And some of them with a bit of their own rank, as well. You have no authority over them. Especially now,” he added contemptuously, “with the dismal showing you’ve made defending us.”

From the hostile looks, agreeing nods and dark mutterings in those crowded around and watching this exchange, it was clear the rotund supervisor had their strong sympathy.

High Admiral Tharkus glanced around at them, then back to the little man.

“So you refuse to obey me?” he challenged forcefully.

“Yes, I do.” Ptomel said, drawing up to the full of his height and meeting the still higher gaze defiantly.

In response, the High Admiral stepped back, gesturing at the strange, clear-skinned being as he moved behind him. “See to it,” he snapped.

The being nodded. His violet heart pulsed brighter. His body was instantly enveloped in a sapphire glow as his preternatural metabolism swiftly absorbed vast quantities of ambient energy from the atmosphere, transforming it into matter. The cocoon of light obscuring his image as his figure swelled in moments to a giant size.

Just as instantly the light faded, revealing a monstrous, amphibious-like being where the man had been.

The green-skinned thing squatted on broad haunches, a flat and wide mouthed head with bulging eyes looming two stories above them on a thick, deeply puckered neck.

As the dockmaster stared in astonishment, the head shot forward, the neck stretching far out in rubbery ease. The mouth gaped open. The man screamed.

It was over in an eye blink.

The thing had seized and swallowed Ptomel in one gulp; the head had shrunk back onto the body. The only sign left of his chubby form was a round, still wiggling lump in the monster’s neck. But another big swallow quickly pushed that down out of sight.

The crowd around stood flabbergasted, frozen in shock. Tharkus swept a frigid gaze around at them.

“No one refuses to obey me more than once,” he slowly, pointedly told them.

RIP guy swallowed by a frog monster.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
BRB guys just gotta create matter out of ambient energy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chairman Capone posted:

From the author's explanation at the end of that page:

quote:

I spent most of the next year writing that book, putting my own books aside. My primary sources were the movies themselves, which I watched over-and-over (often in slo-mo), and a Star Wars Sourcebook for game players from West End Games that Lucasfilm supplied. By the end of 1992 I had a draft ready. I sent it in and waited… and waited. When I inquired as to how it was going, my editor said that the process of the Star Wars project had stalled as they developed the rest of the series. And she still had to go through it herself before sending it to Lucasfilm for their assessment. I believed her. Why not? I finally got a list of mostly minor stuff and started revisions.

After more months passed, I heard from my editor that “things were moving ahead again with the Star Wars project.” I finished my revisions and submitted it. Again, I was told the Lucas people approved it. In fact, they said they “quite liked it.”

Then I waited. Yet more months went by. I heard nothing. Stupidly, I had no agent through all this. I didn’t think I needed one, as I’d always dealt directly with Spectra and been fairly treated. Finally, growing concerned, I contacted an agent who contacted Spectra. He discovered only then that Spectra had determined my book couldn’t be published because it “no longer fit into the sequence for the new series.”

I was told that this happened because of my Spectra editor. She had supposedly promised another author of the group (a friend of hers, according to one source) that her book would be placed in Position One. This apparently accounted for the “delays” that I had been told about, while she wrote her own book to slip into my slot while I sat idle and ignorant of what was happening for months. I have made a point of not knowing who this other author is, and I have never been able to bring myself to read her book, or any other of the subsequent series, saddened that this so violated my love of everything Star Wars.

I read most of the Bantam-era stuff when it was coming out but I can't quite recall the details of what was published when. Would this editor's friend Flint says he was backstabbed for be Kathy Tyers with Truce at Bakura?

I'm not sure the excerpt there is of the highest quality, but if it would have prevented Bakura and the Jedi Academy trilogy, that's a small price to pay.

EDITED because I misread something.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 20, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The title sucks but I'll give it a read. Stories of behind the scenes drama on movies and tv are easy to come by. There are so many people working on them that eventually someone is going to talk. With something like the EU there a fewer people involved, meaning less people willing to rock the boat. The exception is when highly unstable people like Traviss decide to air their grievances. I'm hoping this doesn't get slapped down and perhaps we can get more releases of lost books, and behind the scenes stuff.

There was supposed to be a a novelization of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Rob MacGregor, who had written many of the other novels, had finished it. But then Lucasfilm decided not to publish it. Their behavior was often weird on contradictory. We had a discussion in the GOG.com thread last month about weird Lucasarts stuff, mostly related to the The Phantom Menace tie-in game. I dug up a forum thread from 15 years ago where one of the developers talked about the weird poo poo Lucasarts made them do like replace all the Gamorrean guards with the weird horned guards (YOOOOUUUU'REE A NOO GOOD KIIILLLER!!) for whatever reason. Then in Retrogamer one of the developers on Mysteries of the Sith said they had to propose some crazy poo poo just so management would tell them to dial it back a bit instead of outright saying what they wanted to do.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

From the author's explanation at the end of that page:

I read most of the Bantam-era stuff when it was coming out but I can't quite recall the details of what was published when. Would this editor's friend Flint says he was backstabbed for be Kathy Tyers with Truce at Bakura?

I'm not sure the excerpt there is of the highest quality, but if it would have prevented Bakura and the Jedi Academy trilogy, that's a small price to pay.

EDITED because I misread something.

It had to be Truce at Bakura, both because of when it was published (early 1994, I think?) and the fact it's set in the same immediately post-ROTJ period. Plus he references the author who replaced him as a 'her' and I don't think there was another female author at Bantam for a few more years (Crystal Star, maybe).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Casimir Radon posted:

The title sucks but I'll give it a read. Stories of behind the scenes drama on movies and tv are easy to come by. There are so many people working on them that eventually someone is going to talk. With something like the EU there a fewer people involved, meaning less people willing to rock the boat. The exception is when highly unstable people like Traviss decide to air their grievances. I'm hoping this doesn't get slapped down and perhaps we can get more releases of lost books, and behind the scenes stuff.

There was supposed to be a a novelization of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Rob MacGregor, who had written many of the other novels, had finished it. But then Lucasfilm decided not to publish it. Their behavior was often weird on contradictory. We had a discussion in the GOG.com thread last month about weird Lucasarts stuff, mostly related to the The Phantom Menace tie-in game. I dug up a forum thread from 15 years ago where one of the developers talked about the weird poo poo Lucasarts made them do like replace all the Gamorrean guards with the weird horned guards (YOOOOUUUU'REE A NOO GOOD KIIILLLER!!) for whatever reason. Then in Retrogamer one of the developers on Mysteries of the Sith said they had to propose some crazy poo poo just so management would tell them to dial it back a bit instead of outright saying what they wanted to do.

I'm really curious to learn more about this, especially with that PSX Phantom Menace tie in game which I played the hell out of.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm really curious to learn more about this, especially with that PSX Phantom Menace tie in game which I played the hell out of.
It was here. Although Lucasforums seems be down right now.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Casimir Radon posted:

It was here. Although Lucasforums seems be down right now.

Huh

quote:

Yes, Big Ape was originally supposed to do an Eps 4-6 game starting in early 1997, but then somebody did the math and realized that there would be no character-based game released for Ep1 at the same time as the movie (Racer was vehicle-based), so after much reconsideration, our focus was changed to follow Ep1. Our original storyline, as you mentioned, would follow a teenager who takes over for an old Jedi Knight that is mortally wounded when his starship crashes near the boy's home. The Jedi is carrying something of great power that EVERYBODY wants, but can't continue his quest. His dying words to the boy are to continue, this item must not fall into the hands of the Dark Side. So everyone's involved, the Hutts, the Empire, mercenaries, bounty hunters, and even the Rebellion who want to help. Would have been a lotta fun to make

The Mos Espa level was interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF1ZAU-WzlU

Because it allowed this to happen (10:11 for amazing voice acting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hXQrbMmobQ

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 23, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never figured out what the little garage with the turret was supposed to be there for. If you went in there you got mobbed by jawas, some of them having shields.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My abiding memories of that game are both from the Mos Espa levels:

"BETTER STAND BACK, MISTER... CAUSE I'M ABOUT TO SLASH... ALLLLL MYYYY PRICES!"

And

"Would ya like some fresh dried chokie?"
"How do you make fresh dried chokie?"
"Ya take some chokie when it's fresh... and ya leave it in th'Doon Sea fer threeee daaaays."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My abiding memories of that game are both from the Mos Espa levels:

"BETTER STAND BACK, MISTER... CAUSE I'M ABOUT TO SLASH... ALLLLL MYYYY PRICES!"

And

"Would ya like some fresh dried chokie?"
"How do you make fresh dried chokie?"
"Ya take some chokie when it's fresh... and ya leave it in th'Doon Sea fer threeee daaaays."

I just remeber the ability to go GTA in mos espa and kill everything, even the younglings.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Meesa no wanting cruching.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Is that the Jedi Knight 2 engine?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Calax posted:

Is that the Jedi Knight 2 engine?

Nope

quote:

Long story. LEC was very insistent that we make this game MUCH more easily playable for a novice gamer than JK was, so that meant keeping the controls easy and the gameplay easier. We looked at Loaded on the PSX, which had an above camera angle, and realized that it sort of reminded us of Zelda. This reinforced the perception that a FPS game is more for the hardcore gamer, but 3rd-person games are more accessible to the casual gamer.

We (Big Ape and LEC) thought that the focus of the game should be on the 'look' of the game, to make you 'feel' like you're seeing some movie locations. The best way to do that is to keep the camera at some distance, so you can't see the pixelization of the textures etc. Anyone who has done the 'naughty naughty' cheat knows what I mean, we were able to get away with a lot with very few textures because the camera was so removed. Because of that, we were able to build levels that had a pretty good framerate because we didn't have to spend polys on making the levels look 'exactly' right, the camera distance let us cheat out a little bit of detail. For instance, chairs could be made out of 5 or 6 polys instead of the 40 or 50 that would be spent if the camera could be zoomed-in close.

Also, JK was VERY much being about blasters, and it was pretty clear to us that in the MOVIE, it was all about the lightsabers. In first-person, if you saw a Battle Droid standing WAY off in the distance, well, you grab your blaster and become a sniper. Kyle Katarn was primarily a mercenary, so it was completely acceptable for him to rely on a blaster. The Jedis were totally different, and from what we knew of the movie script for Ep1, they were really into close-combat. Thus, by keeping the camera looking down, we kept all combat fairly close. This is NOT to say that we didn't make a number of screw-ups with people firing at you while they were offscreen. We made a pass or two at adjusting the different 'active' ranges of the AIs, but while we got many of them, we missed a number of others.

quote:

There aren't any Big Ape games using the TPM engine apart from TPM and to a MUCH lesser extent, Simpsons Wrestling. We only used the TPM tools because, well, they were usable, and Fox Interactive wanted Simpsons Wrestling out ASAP...which, NOT so coincidentally, is why the Simpsons game is lacking in so many areas. Funny, if you think about it, the BEST thing about TPM was the huge levels to explore and interesting world backgrounds, while the worst things were the character control, collision problems and stiff animation. So what contract do we wind up getting? A game that has NO worlds to explore (everything takes place in a ring), and RELIES on solid character collision and fluid animation (as all fighting games do). Go figure. As a result of the short development cycle, we didn't have a lot of time to rebuild the TPM code, so those same problems went lock, stock and barrel into Simpsons Wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, man, I remember Simpsons Wrestling, but I'm not sure if I want to.