Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Lorini posted:

Glad I use the auto-combat in battle....never was affected by it. And this is why I use the auto-combat, too many times the AI knows more about the combat than I do.

I was doing this too. Also, and I've noticed in other games that this happens as well, but in regards to the auto combat option you're always better off starting manual combat, then turning on auto mode. If you do the blind auto mode your guys will be beat up for no good reason, whereas if you auto through the manual combat your guys will always do a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I know I'll probably enjoy the base game, but how is multiplayer? Is it feasible to play with tactical combat on, and are there many goons who would be around to play a multi-hour single session game?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

gently caress the ROW posted:

I was doing this too. Also, and I've noticed in other games that this happens as well, but in regards to the auto combat option you're always better off starting manual combat, then turning on auto mode. If you do the blind auto mode your guys will be beat up for no good reason, whereas if you auto through the manual combat your guys will always do a lot better.

There is literally only one difference between auto-combat, and starting manual and letting the AI take over:

In autocombat, the Independent AI will deliberately avoid targeting your heroes and leader. This leads to the other units taking more damage, but, vitally, prevents you losing your leader when you autocombat a brigand camp on turn 3 (this used to happen a lot). Auto-combat versus armies controlled by other factions is identical to manual combat and letting the AI take over.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Gerblyn posted:

There is literally only one difference between auto-combat, and starting manual and letting the AI take over:

In autocombat, the Independent AI will deliberately avoid targeting your heroes and leader. This leads to the other units taking more damage, but, vitally, prevents you losing your leader when you autocombat a brigand camp on turn 3 (this used to happen a lot). Auto-combat versus armies controlled by other factions is identical to manual combat and letting the AI take over.

This is very interesting to hear, I've always wondered about stuff like that. Makes sense. Sometimes I start the battle and just position/spell a few guys before turning on auto combat and can get a pretty decent result. A few battles watching the AI control your guys gives you several good tips on positioning and so forth.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Heroes could really use at least twice as much effect from their basic stat level up choices. It's essentially suicide to make a hero melee, but there's entire inventory slots and a ton of level up options for melee attacks. They're just far too squishy and melee just means "do the same damage I could at range, but also get hit by retaliation attacks".

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

gently caress the ROW posted:

This is very interesting to hear, I've always wondered about stuff like that. Makes sense. Sometimes I start the battle and just position/spell a few guys before turning on auto combat and can get a pretty decent result. A few battles watching the AI control your guys gives you several good tips on positioning and so forth.

Autocombat is horrid to get right. It used to be that brigand camps would spawn Assassins as well as scoundrels and berserkers. I don't know if you've come across them, but Assassins are probably the best tier 2 unit in the game, they do insane damage, they're tough, fast and they can walk through walls. It was a nice challenge for when you did manual combat, but it made every auto-combat a literal dice roll for if you'd lose the game. If the AI decided the assassin should attack your leader, then game over, if they didn't, you'd probably win with 0 losses.

Pro-tip: Play Rogue with the Explorer specialization and get the Trail Running Upgrade (+8 move points for irregulars). Then spam armies of assassins, and laugh as they completely murder everything they come across.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
So is the elf campaign also a tutorial?

Because I started a game as a goblin and had no idea what was going on.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, play the elf campaign. It should explain most of what you need to know.

Alternately you could watch some of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhAjLeSwzp3hLPeLqY2p-R7Ubbauwhxpe

They explain just about everything as well.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Manifest posted:

So is the elf campaign also a tutorial?

Because I started a game as a goblin and had no idea what was going on.

The Elf campaign doubles as a tutorial but it's not very hand-holdy and won't explain everything. There is, however, a very good in-game manual that you can access by pressing F1 at any time.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Gerblyn posted:

Pro-tip: Play Rogue with the Explorer specialization and get the Trail Running Upgrade (+8 move points for irregulars). Then spam armies of assassins, and laugh as they completely murder everything they come across.

I really enjoyed Trail Running + the two monster hunters you could get in the first campaign map, so I was disappointed when I realized monster hunter is a warlord unit -- I (apparently falsely) assumed that Trail Running was a rogue class thing. Good to know some of those things can be mixed up more than I thought. Is there a list somewhere of which specializations lead to which research?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Just a heads up, Marbolzir, who regularly crushes Deity Civ 5 is playing this game, with a nice Lets Play. He has an Orc Sorcerer and a Goblin Something going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPi26jYNChw&list=PLHQyGGzRHYIYEP2hm7iSqgPxGp2ydGl7v

is the link. I've actually learned a bunch about how to play from watching, since the first episode goes over the mechanics fairly well.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Goncyn posted:

I really enjoyed Trail Running + the two monster hunters you could get in the first campaign map, so I was disappointed when I realized monster hunter is a warlord unit -- I (apparently falsely) assumed that Trail Running was a rogue class thing. Good to know some of those things can be mixed up more than I thought. Is there a list somewhere of which specializations lead to which research?

Open the Tome Of Wonders, click on the "Skills" tab, then you should see a drop down that lets you pick a class. You can choose "Water Adept" and see all the skills that that specialization unlocks.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.

MrBims posted:

I know I'll probably enjoy the base game, but how is multiplayer? Is it feasible to play with tactical combat on, and are there many goons who would be around to play a multi-hour single session game?

YEEEEEEEESSSSSS

Join the Steam Group and hop on mumble.

Then the ritual will be complete and in Age of Wonders 3 we will compete.

Alternatively, here are two bad haikus.

Age of Wonders Three
Come Multiplayer With Me
Just Do It You rear end

I Lost To A.I.
gently caress, Again? It's Only Turn Ten
New Game Up On Me

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Is it me or does Mana income seem a little out of scale? The random map generator seems particularly generous with mana nodes, together with random mana as loot and the income buildings I quickly end up with thousands in the bank, despite constant spell-casting and global enchants. Granted I haven't really tried much with a sorcerer which seems to rely a lot more on units with mana upkeep, but it kinda feels like the system was balanced around having a lot more mana upkeep (unit enchantments out of combat maybe?) that now just ends building up in the bank.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Woozy posted:

The Elf campaign doubles as a tutorial but it's not very hand-holdy and won't explain everything. There is, however, a very good in-game manual that you can access by pressing F1 at any time.

It's REALLY good if you've played the other games but are a little unclear on the mechanics now (it's been a while).
Perhaps a bit poo poo if you have never touched the game though. It is a bit of a shame there's no tutorial.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Something about the AI gets hilarious in the campaign when you start amassing stacks of doom.

They start abandoning the cities you are going attack and raze them and then turtle up with their huge rear end stacks at the next available city.

Then once you arrive there they start retreating for some reason and you can pick off the stacks that get left behind. This continues all the way back to the throne city where there truly is a clusterfuck of stacks

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

boho posted:

Since they probably won't ever update combat mechanics to account for figures (and they shouldn't, the rules are fine), I'm hoping we'll get an option or mod where units are all-or-nothing in terms of figures. Sure all my men will fall over at the same time, but it beats "oh there's only one of those left, it must be pretty weak by now."

It's hilarious when you have a hero with a musket shoot a low HP, big model count unit like goblin swarm darters. The hero shoots a single gun and like 20 goblins die at the same time.

DatonKallandor posted:

Heroes could really use at least twice as much effect from their basic stat level up choices. It's essentially suicide to make a hero melee, but there's entire inventory slots and a ton of level up options for melee attacks. They're just far too squishy and melee just means "do the same damage I could at range, but also get hit by retaliation attacks".

This (like aggresive dispelling) is another problem brought up by how good the AI is. It will mercilessly target and murder your heroes if you leave them even the slightest bit exposed. Heroes are pretty squishy and it's hard to tank them up significantly with the increasing costs on stats.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

boredsatellite posted:

Something about the AI gets hilarious in the campaign when you start amassing stacks of doom.

They start abandoning the cities you are going attack and raze them and then turtle up with their huge rear end stacks at the next available city.

Then once you arrive there they start retreating for some reason and you can pick off the stacks that get left behind. This continues all the way back to the throne city where there truly is a clusterfuck of stacks

Yeah, I actually think it's awesome. In other games the AI would just throw stacks at you without thinking. Now it seems to have threat detection and it's a funny behaviour that makes me feel cool for amassing such a scary army.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I really find the fact that the AI seems to just walk around anything that could be remotely dangerous annoying as hell.

In the first campaign mission i have a major border city next to the AI's territory. It is well defended and fortified with a decent army. Except the AI keeps deciding to run 4-5 stacks right by the city using the hexes around it. Which is extremely frustrating.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So how long before someone recreates the Lord of the Rings map in the editor? My bet is one of the developers already has a version on their flash drive.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I really find the fact that the AI seems to just walk around anything that could be remotely dangerous annoying as hell.

In the first campaign mission i have a major border city next to the AI's territory. It is well defended and fortified with a decent army. Except the AI keeps deciding to run 4-5 stacks right by the city using the hexes around it. Which is extremely frustrating.

I have to give it to the ai in this game it is alot better than most 4x games at finding your weaknesses and exploiting it, sure it can run a stack into your city and lose because you have a defensive advantage or it could run around your city and snap up an expansion or something. its pretty drat clever.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The ai are major dicks. You have an empty city? They are going to send one stack out there to capture it and be an nuisance and as it soon as it sees you coming it runs away.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So it mimics a human player? Props to the AI coders then

With Elf mission 2, am I supposed to be the one to declare war? I've built 2 cities, met 2 opponents, but have nowhere else to go without pushing through borders. I thought this was the tutorial oh god I'm lost already

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bennyfranks posted:

I tried to win a game while staying Pure Good, but I don't think it's possible. Because the map is small and non-cylindrical, these two other Theocrats built up enough to block me off from the rest of the map by every route I can see. They both hate my guts and declared war on me the second they met me, then immediately demanded peace when they realized I could wreck their poo poo no problem I guess. They won't accept Alliances, though, so I can't pass through without declaring war from peace and eliminating one of their cities.

Is there a way to win the game without murdering everyone else and incurring Evil points?
Have you tried asking for open borders?

dud root posted:

So it mimics a human player? Props to the AI coders then

With Elf mission 2, am I supposed to be the one to declare war? I've built 2 cities, met 2 opponents, but have nowhere else to go without pushing through borders. I thought this was the tutorial oh god I'm lost already
I think so. I'm on the same mission, currently amassing a few stack of dooms to assault them with.

---

It was pointed out to me that there is no Dire Penguin mount. When will this horrific oversight be remedied?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This game owns holy poo poo. Thanks for the replies earlier in the thread.

Is there a way to see how many movement points an action in combat costs? As in, if I move to the orange square will I be able to use X skill or not?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started a Random Map and now I'm 100 turns in, I've explored almost the entire map, all the neutral cities now belong to the four player empires, except we're all Pure Good. I played a good guy Goblin Warlord and the four random AI opponents all happened to be Good as well. So now we're all kind of hanging out, producing armies but not doing anything with them.

Do I have any option for victory in this situation other than deciding to abandon my alignment and destroy them all? I'm going to make sure not to leave leaders up to random chance in any future Random Maps I play.

e: I guess I could just make an alliance with them, but where's the fun in that?

Foxhound posted:

Is there a way to see how many movement points an action in combat costs? As in, if I move to the orange square will I be able to use X skill or not?

I think all non-movement skills take all remaining AP. Some skills can hit up to three times depending on amount of AP left (color of the square you're in), which is also shown at the very top center of the screen near the unit's portrait.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 1, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Foxhound posted:

I think you can always use a skill (provide it's not once per combat or on cooldown and you're in range) no matter how far you move. The basic attacks that trigger 3 times will trigger one less for ever zone you go to. So if you travel somewhere in green it triggers all three times, two if you stop in yellow, and only once if you go all the way to orange.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There are some skills that need specific amounts of action points. I know Teleporting does for example. If your wisps or whatever were forced to retaliate, they can't phase when it's their turn.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Zasze posted:

I have to give it to the ai in this game it is alot better than most 4x games at finding your weaknesses and exploiting it, sure it can run a stack into your city and lose because you have a defensive advantage or it could run around your city and snap up an expansion or something. its pretty drat clever.

Except it makes every form of fortification almost completely pointless (except the domain boost). Furthermore its not really clever because the AI just seems to beeline to any of your unoccupied city, even if they cannot tell if it is unoccupied.

Also i do not understand how am i supposed to beat the first campaign mission. The AI has a bunch of those tier 4 super towers all piled up near their last city. Moving around the map near him is horribly frusturating since every other turn my army is loosing half its health to wrath of the gods.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So can anyone tell me if the extra scenario in the deluxe edition is worth it or not?

I'm big on having epic games where I actually manage an empire, as opposed to shorter term wargames. Fallen Enchantress was great for this once it got patched up, but I always loved AoW's aesthetics and gameplay. Seems like that map might be up my alley if it's actually huge and the game supports that sort of gameplay.

Edit: That's five dollars I might otherwise not have if it sucks. I'm a penny pincher. Sue me (Please don't.). :colbert:

Edit 2: gently caress it, I blew like 700 hours on AoW2 way back in the day, and probably just as much on SM since I could play them on the go on my laptop. I'll make an exception and drop the five extra bucks on it. If only for the fact that AoW2 was so fantastic and the game appears to be well supported, it'll probably be worth it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 1, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Archonex posted:

So can anyone tell me if the extra scenario in the deluxe edition is worth it or not?

I'm big on having epic games where I actually manage an empire, as opposed to shorter term wargames. Fallen Enchantress was great for this once it got patched up, but I always loved AoW's aesthetics and gameplay. Seems like that map might be up my alley if it's actually huge.

It's $5 more and they're active on our forums as well as good about awareness of issues. I think it's worth it right there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dud root posted:

I've gotten my rear end handed to me twice now on that mission. First time I declared war and had the AI send a doomstack to snipe one of the weak insta-lose heroes you're saddled with baby sitting. The second time I built up more before declaring and got swarmed by tier 3 shadowy units. :sigh: I'm so bad at this game.

The human campaign was similar. Even on the first mission the AI starts out with cities and armies all over the map and sent hit squads to take empty towns (apparently you can sail armies along rivers, oops) and murdering the useless sorceress. You're ruining everything. Go home and don't come back until you've learned implosion or meteor shower. :argh:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Let it begin.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They inclunded the "Dun dunnnnnnnn. Da dunnn dunnnnnnnnnnnn." song that has pipes playing near the end. I wept nostalgic.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the "Game Flow" option on random maps. I was showing a friend the game because he used to play a lot of HOMM2 with me a couple years ago and we had always kind of talked about how something like a multiplayer King's Bounty (No city building, earn new units through adventuring) would be really fun. I had him set up the random game and he set the Game Flow to adventure and that was pretty much what we got :aaa:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dandywalken posted:

They inclunded the "Dun dunnnnnnnn. Da dunnn dunnnnnnnnnnnn." song that has pipes playing near the end. I wept nostalgic.
I meant to say earlier that the music is everything I hoped for and more.

Also disjunct talk: An enemy just cast a thing on one of my cities, and disjunct is right there as a button on the effect notification! How could I have not pressed it? I choose to believe the AI feels the same way.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Splicer posted:

Have you tried asking for open borders?
I think so. I'm on the same mission, currently amassing a few stack of dooms to assault them with.

---

It was pointed out to me that there is no Dire Penguin mount. When will this horrific oversight be remedied?

I eventually beat that map by taking advantage of the fact that the orc and the goblin do not declare war until you declare war on one of them and building a giant stack of doom with the heroes gaining the maximum number of abilities to counter shadow beasts or whatever the rogue tier 4 unit was called. This was the complete wrong way of doing it and took way too long. I suspect the way you should do it is to try and move forward and be agressive instead of hanging back and building - they start with a lot more territory and resources than you so you can't outturtle them, be on the aggressive, since heroes beat anything early game but low level heroes will get curbstomped if you let her reach tier 4.

One thing that helps a lot once she DOES start getting tier 4 is to get Favored Enemy : Monster as a druid research option, and level up the priest and the sorcerer as much as possible. Both of them are an amazing source of unresisted damage to the shadow beasts.

Another important thing is ten turns in your golden wyvern mount egg will hatch - if you don't wait so long that the enemy's domain starts covering every non-impassable mountain, you might be able to send in your archdruid leader to fly over to the top left corner, where there's a dragon city. If you talk to him with your archdruid on the golden wyvern mount, you'll get a free golden dragon which MURDERS poo poo DEAD SO HARD. ALSO you get a dragon city that can produce golden, fire, and ice wyverns, as well as golden, fire, and ice dragons with a couple of structures, as well as defensive structures to help you keep it that automatically bombard attacking enemies with fire and ice spells. I only discovered this after I had already curbstomped the goblin, but I see that the objective recommends you sneak past her to get the dragons, which could make getting her a lot easier.

If you go to the south of your starting location, there will be two underground tunnels. On the right is a cave filled with various monsters/treasure but you'll need a digger to get most of it. On the left is a bunch of resource buildings pre-captured by a fortress from the goblin - however chances are this will be undefended or almost undefended. The fortress blocks you from getting to a teleporter just on the south side of it that leads to two almost undeveloped elven cities. If you get to these fast, they could be useful. However, if you take too long, when you activate them you will get attacked by the orc within one or two turns - and if you've taken too long, the orc will be attacking them with tier 2-4 units (you get four free tier 1 units to defend them, which is not enough if you're distracted by the goblin), which means that it may be best to ignore them if you don't get them fast enough, until the goblin is entirely dead if you don't have enough of an army to defend the cities until they can defend themselves - normally the orc has no idea where you are and will not attack you, and does not attack the neutral elven cities until you take them.

Also, in the same cave that has the portals to the elven cities, if you go north instead of south, you'll run into a rather large, and completely isolated/largely undefended goblin lady's city - both tunnels lead straight into the heart of your territory so she has no way of reinforcing it or recapturing it, and if you leave it alone she'll constantly pump out succubi to sneak out of the tunnels to capture your back cities (I hadn't noticed the northern tunnel, so i was wondering how she snuck succubi past me). Just as importantly, and the map itself seems to be designed for this, as you get a digging tutorial when you capture that city, to the left of that city is a bunch of diggable terrain that if you keep digging will spiderweb throughout the map, with tons of treasure spots and items and gold and mana, and with exits that drop you all over the place, including in the (not yet hostile) human territory, as well as a shortcut to the orc territory. You may want to build six goblin beetles and send them out to explore while the rest of your troops take care of everything else - six goblin beetles can beat almost anything you run into underground no problem, and then they can use the courier feature to send the items to your heroes.

After killing the goblin and orc, the human was a complete and total pushover - I wonder if there's a way to sneak past the goblin and orc and take him out before they declare war? He has a lot of nice and juicy cities, so it might help. However, he's neighbors with the orc, so who knows if that's a good idea.

All in all, it's a surprisingly evil map, but there are a lot of secrets you can take advantage of, that I unfortunately only discovered too late to truly benefit from - but with some foreknowledge you might be able to do it a lot better than me.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
The more I think about it, the more I'm glad Draconians made it into the game. A draconian dude commanding an army of tanks would be scary as gently caress.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

How I did the that mission. Had a dude nearby a border so when it expanded I was trespassing so they got pissed off at me and declared war. Had to go offensive early game and get rid of nearby towns including underground so they could only attack through one point.

Research the Gargantuan Monster skill. Spam the gently caress out if it and have doom stack of tier 3~4 monsters that you can afford to lose. Buff the gently caress out of them in battles. Rinse and repeat.

That campaign made me really love Archdruid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

boredsatellite posted:

How I did the that mission. Had a dude nearby a border so when it expanded I was trespassing so they got pissed off at me and declared war. Had to go offensive early game and get rid of nearby towns including underground so they could only attack through one point.

Research the Gargantuan Monster skill. Spam the gently caress out if it and have doom stack of tier 3~4 monsters that you can afford to lose. Buff the gently caress out of them in battles. Rinse and repeat.

That campaign made me really love Archdruid
I was about to ask, is anyone using unit enchants? Having to give up not just an action, but your only spell action, means I'm not really touching them.

• Locked thread