Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Built a MURDERGOATS with white a few weeks back b/c I'm too poor to afford Purphoroses (Purphorii?).

I can assure you that Assemble the Legion is a total house. Chained to the Rocks is also pretty good ways of dealing with just about any creature. Elspeth is a given as well.

If you're relying on Young Pyromancer and Tymaret to work your magic, then you want to steer clear of early white cards unless they help clog your opponents aggro, or make tokens, and you certainly don't want to run white so heavily that it crowds out your oh-so-important red burn and black removal.

I found myself struggling between an enchantment heavy build (Pacifism, Path of Bravery, Sphere of Safety) to try and build the safety dance while I combo out, or simply using white to bring in more defensive stuff like Rootborn Defenses, Riot Control and Congregate.
Safety Dance is relatively easy to build into because of Assemble the Legion, but each enchantment you run hampers your Young Pyromancers. Rootborn Defenses is a really fun play when you have at least two Pyromancers on the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AnacondaHL posted:

If money is no object you're looking for Dismember(s) and Fulminator Mage(s). Given your meta I'm also not sure why you're running Obstinate Baloth, let alone 2, since no one is attacking your hand or life-total aggressively.

I'd max out on Thoughtseizes over Reaper of the Wilds too.

I'll get those as soon as I can, and decided on 2 Golgari Charms for that Form of the Dragon poo poo, or the MINDCAGE.
The reason why I put the Baloths in is because I know there will be more people this time, and I don't know if they'll be Jund or not - 2 guys I've seen that haven't come in a while play both variants of Pod, and another runs RG Tron. I have very little to scrap for a sideboard at the moment, so I'll have to make due with some hackneyed poo poo.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Built a MURDERGOATS with white a few weeks back b/c I'm too poor to afford Purphoroses (Purphorii?).

I can assure you that Assemble the Legion is a total house. Chained to the Rocks is also pretty good ways of dealing with just about any creature. Elspeth is a given as well.

If you're relying on Young Pyromancer and Tymaret to work your magic, then you want to steer clear of early white cards unless they help clog your opponents aggro, or make tokens, and you certainly don't want to run white so heavily that it crowds out your oh-so-important red burn and black removal.

I found myself struggling between an enchantment heavy build (Pacifism, Path of Bravery, Sphere of Safety) to try and build the safety dance while I combo out, or simply using white to bring in more defensive stuff like Rootborn Defenses, Riot Control and Congregate.
Safety Dance is relatively easy to build into because of Assemble the Legion, but each enchantment you run hampers your Young Pyromancers. Rootborn Defenses is a really fun play when you have at least two Pyromancers on the board.

Were you running some populate cards? Like Rootborn Defenses? Or were you not so concerned with overpopulating the field?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Fun deck I wanna try running for FNM.

Deck: Grixis be Millin'

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
8 Island
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Breaking // Entering
3 Hidden Strings
3 Mind Grind
4 Pilfered Plans
4 Quicken
2 Rakdos's Return
4 Claustrophobia

//Creatures
4 Wall of Frost
4 Nightveil Specter
4 Hover Barrier

//Sideboard
4 Wight of Precinct Six
4 Cremate
4 Psychic Strike
3 Woodlot Crawler

Display deck statistics

Notes:Was originally running Ultimate Price and Underworld Connections. I decided since I had such a higher commitment to blue devotion with the walls, I'd skip Ultimate Price and continue devotion and pseudo-removal with Claustrophobia. Going with blue devotion made me consider removing Underworld Connections as well. So I replaced it with Pilfered Plans. Also considering replacing ~something~ with Murmuring Phantasm (0/5 for 1U) since my LGS tends to have aggro players. Would likely drop Claustrophobia for it. edit: Or poo poo, Nightveil. I like his devotion but its not like he'll be swinging often.

Game Plan:Breaking turn 2, Wall up on turns 3, 4, 5. Quicken at the end of their turns with Pilfered Plans or medium Rakdos's Return/Mind Grind for a reasonable amount. Use Hidden Strings during my turn to untap Nykthos for much bigger Rakdos's Return/Mind Grind. Sideboard in Wight of Precinct Six against aggro decks, because a 8/8 on turn three after a Breaking on Turn 2 is fun.

Deckit fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 13, 2013

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Deckit posted:

For FNM in my area this wouldn't work...the mill decks have to stall long enough to work and there is a lot of Aggro in my area. I'd have a sideboard for creature removal as well...Hero's Downfall or Doomblade maybe? I know my Mill deck struggles without creatures out to take hits...I even had to drop a couple counterspells for Duskmantle Guildmage so I could use Jace for a second win condition.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Deckit posted:

I posted this about a week or two back and I wanted to re-post it for you. It is about $100 more than your build but it is much more of a 'punch you in the face' mill. I personally don't think red does anything for you here. Grab some thoughtseize instead of Rakdos Return and do not worry about activating "Entering".

Turn 1 - Tome Scour, turn 2 - Breaking, turn 3 - huge Wight or continue to the mill pain with Nightveil and establish board presence and prep devotion

or

Turn 1 - Thoughtseize, turn 2 - breaking, etc. etc.

Thoughts?

EDIT: It would be kind of me to post my build wouldn't it?

Deck: Dimir Control

I would love to squeeze Claustrophobia in here for blue devotion removal (better than pacifism).

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 13, 2013

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Accidentally put this in the general MTG thread and am c&ping it over for some general tips/criticism.

I was wondering if I could get some critiques and tips with regards to a Boros aggro deck I've been building. It's in the description but for context I'm pretty new to MTG (I have experience from having bought random starters and packs over the years since '98 but never really got into things deep until the past month or so) and am running with a limited cardpool. Specifically I have two 2014 deckbuilder's kits and a gatecrash fat pack, I'd love to get more over time but I'm not too interested in hunting singles specifically. This is a super super fast aggro deck, pure one and two drops with three drops to seal the deal as quickly as possible and literally one card with a converted mana cost over three. I'd want to keep it standard legal but am not too worried about making it a full on tournament level competitive deck, mostly I'd just want any tips that could be offered as far as what direction I'd want to aim in with any changes I'd make and any particular cards to look out for out of the current standard legal sets especially Theros, I know what cards are in Gatecrash but have no idea what I'd want to look for out of Theros. Right now I'd really like some more efficient/powerful one drops and maybe take out a small amout of the basic lands, ideally with some guildgates or something to replace one or two but this is definitely not a mana hungry deck and if I don't draw well I find it's easy to get mana flooded as is.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-sunrise/

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
MURDERGOATS update!

Removed some of the burn spells and maxed out Akroan Horse, Molten Birth, and Dreadbore. I ended up pulling a Hero's Downfall out of a pack tonight, but unless I get a few more copies I'm unlikely to maindeck it. If that became the case, I'd definitely move the deck towards the slower, more control-oriented version.

Also, cool thing I realized about Barrage of Expendables: unlike Tymaret or Gnawing Zombies, it can actually damage creatures, rather than only players. Also unlike Gnawing Zombie, it adds to the red devotion count. Not that getting Purphoros online is a goal of the deck, but it's there.

Anyone have success with the deck tonight, or have some thoughts on the deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So Rakdos Aggro is awesome. I ended up in 2nd of 15 people last night. I absolutely destroyed mono-U round 1, mono-G round 2, and UB control round 3. Round 4 I wrecked BW game 1, couldn't hit a 3rd land which would have won at any point before turn 6 before his Fiendslayer got him out of kill range, and I couldn't find a kill spell to save my life game 3. He somehow got out Soldier of the Pantheon, Fiendslayer, Spear, Heliod in that order every game, which is really hard for me to stop. He eventually won game 3 with that spell where white guys get pro-color of your choice and hit me for enough a turn before I was going to draw a Mogis's Marauder for lethal.

My first 3 rounds combined took less than 15 minutes. The last one took about that long. Fiendslayer completely shuts me off unless I can get Marauders to get around him or find an Exava.

I got 6 RTR for prizes and got Overgrown Tomb, Sphinx's Revelation, and shiny Cyclonic Rift. I'll take $30-something in prizes for a $7 entry fee.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I had a blast playing my Counters Simic deck at FNM last night. I went 5-0, beating Esper, Mono-Blue, Dimir, Naya, and Mono-green.

Kalonian Hydra is an insane card and I will be so sad when it rotates out. Multiple times I was able to double his counters, along with all of the counters on Scavenging Ooze, Cloudfin Raptor, and Zegana. Prophet of Kruphix is also ridiculous. It's still a sleeper card that isn't seeing much play, and there were a couple opponents that couldn't believe the things I was doing with it. "Wait, all of your creatures untap on my turn?" "How did you just flash out an Arbor Colossus to block my Nightvale Specter?...wait, Prophet does that?" I almost hope it doesn't get super popular, because I love having my opponents completely unprepared for it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Considering getting a set of matching lands for competitive play. Besides full art Zendikar lands and Swamp #238 in Alara, can anyone recommend swamps or plains?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Considering getting a set of matching lands for competitive play. Besides full art Zendikar lands and Swamp #238 in Alara, can anyone recommend swamps or plains?

I use Portal lands myself, I'm partial to this plains:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm partial to the #288 and #289 Mirrodin Plains. Can't say I've dabbled in Swamps, so I don't have any opinions there.
But I generally like the look of pre-modern frame lands.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm partial to the sets of Shadowmoor Plains and Swamps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Ravnica and RTR lands are the best because they're lands without being lands. :v:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Plains 233, Shards of Alara.
http://magiccards.info/ala/en/233.html

(Alternately DGM promo plains)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I play with all Snow Covered lands in my Black Legacy Deck. :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

a dozen swans posted:

Plains 233, Shards of Alara.
http://magiccards.info/ala/en/233.html

(Alternately DGM promo plains)

Gorgeous that one, can't get them on eBay right now. Not sure if there's a better way, my LGS has lots of land but besides going through it all being a pain, I think they want to keep it for draft. Also like [url=http://magiccards.info/10e/en/372.htmlthis[/url] John Avon Swamp.

Has Agent of Fates seen much play yet? I've been thinking about BR humans and that I like the idea of dropping him t3, then sticking Madcap Skills on him. His Heroic might make the difference on if he can be blocked, and your opponent loses two creatures if they can block. Granted a couple of 1/1s will trade, but it still seems good to me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Unhinged Swamp looks amazing. I'm also partial to the Ice Age Swamp 355.

For Plains, I recommend the Japan APAC one.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mirage has the best Swamp/Plains:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aren't Zendikar and Unhinged lands absurdly expensive now?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Retcon posted:

Mirage has the best Swamp/Plains:

I use this one also. There's another one with a little hut, but I don't remember what set it's from.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

For Plains, I recommend the Japan APAC one.

Oh gosh that's lovely. :3:
A lot of those APAC things are very nice actually, there's a Plains with the Great Wall of China on it.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities-apac.html

More info.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yeah they're not exactly cheap, for Basic Lands. But if someone's looking to bling out, they expect to drop money, so it's not surprising I'd say.
Many thanks again to the cool guy at my FLGS who brought me a pack of pre-7th basic lands (around Urza's block I think), and wanted nothing in return. I'll have to find him an Isochron Scepter one of these days.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 14, 2013

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Serperoth posted:

Oh gosh that's lovely. :3:
A lot of those APAC things are very nice actually, there's a Plains with the Great Wall of China on it.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/rarities-apac.html

More info.

I really like the Euro lands as well, I have one or two that were being handed out to players at their SDCC off-site thingy. Does anyone know somewhere those can be acquired in bulk? I only see singletons or small sets on ebay right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The best Plains are the Urza's Saga plains, haters vacate.

bhsman posted:

I got to play a couple games with it against UWR Control at my EDH event today. Game 1 I had a nuts draw of Purphoros, Tymaret, and a Molten Birth (and drew another) with which he couldn't keep up, Game 2 he ground me out with Elspeth and Detention Sphering my combo pieces. Not to take away from him but I made a couple blunders there- not only did I sideboard out my Mortars for Slaughter Games but I also chose to exile his Jaces instead of those other cards for whatever reason. It was fun to finally play it against a "competitive" deck though!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Definitely love the Shadowmoor Swamp/Island (with flowers). Happiest bog on the planet.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I just switched my EDH deck over to snow covered swamps and realized I have a foil full art zendikar land. It is the John Avon one so it is a wee bit pricy.

edit:

favorite lands:

plains: don't have one
island: unglued
swamp: Unhinged
mountain: Kamigawa #302
forest: unhinged

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 15, 2013

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I really like all the tempest plains:
http://magiccards.info/tp/en/327.html

and this tempest swamp:
http://magiccards.info/tp/en/334.html

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012

bhsman posted:

MURDERGOATS update!

I have a strictly casual build that mashes together Purphoros/Tymaret/Akroan Horse with Maze's End/Hold the Gates/Korozda Guildmage (MURDERGATES?), but the Guildmage/Purphoros interaction is good enough that it might work in a real deck. Perhaps something like this:

Deck: MURDERFUNGUS

// Creatures
3 Korozda Guildmage
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Nighthowler
4 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Akroan Horse
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Nemesis of Mortals

// Spells
4 Grisly Salvage
4 Commune with the Gods
1 Whip of Erebos

// Lands
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Blood Crypt
1 Temple of Abandon
1 Mountain
9 Forest
6 Swamp

Display deck statistics

Drown in Filth should probably find a way in, and I'm not familiar enough with the current state of standard to build a good sideboard, but could this be an angle worth exploring?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Leper Colon V posted:

Zendikar non-foil lands are about as expensive as regular foil basics nowadays. If you really don't want to hunt around there are a lot of retailers selling them for a buck each, which yeah it's pricey compared to when they were new, but it's likely still cheaper than the rest of your manabase.

Unhinged lands are more like $4-$5 each, which is absurdly expensive.

The one upside to pimping out your basic lands is that you'll be able to use them for every deck you ever build, and they're really good at holding value. Probably a better idea than foiling out your Sphinx's Revelations or whatever.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone tried a MURDERGOATS! variant that uses Deathrite Shaman? I know the deck is mean for low-cost casual, but it is reeeeeaaally nice to be able to Lightning Strike your opponent for effectively 5 using only 3 mana along with all the other bonuses you get for having Young Peezy and Purphoros out.

And the random extra mana for having Mutavaults in (either) grave is nice bonus.

I built a version that swapped out Molten Births for Deathrites but haven't had a chance to actually test it.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
Land-chat: Any lands from Tempest, Portal or Mirage are the best lands.

This reminds me that I will have to go raiding the collection at the weekly market on Sundays to rebuild my collection.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

I built a version that swapped out Molten Births for Deathrites but haven't had a chance to actually test it.

Meh, my concern is at that point you've cut out a lot of spells that make Young Pyromancer so good. I feel awkward leaving it at 14 spells in my own build.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, the Islands and Swamps in Portal Second Age are really great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone tried a MURDERGOATS! variant that uses Deathrite Shaman? I know the deck is mean for low-cost casual, but it is reeeeeaaally nice to be able to Lightning Strike your opponent for effectively 5 using only 3 mana along with all the other bonuses you get for having Young Peezy and Purphoros out.

And the random extra mana for having Mutavaults in (either) grave is nice bonus.

Molten Birth is way too good to cut, even if Deathrite does work out. Two creatures for 3 mana and a 50/50 chance to get the card back is exactly what the deck wants, that's four damage with Purph in play and two chump blockers/victims for Tymaret. I'd sooner cut Rakdos' Return and/or whatever removal you can get away with cutting in your meta, but definitely not Molten Birth. I'd go so far as to say it's the most important non-permanent in the deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

Molten Birth is way too good to cut, even if Deathrite does work out. Two creatures for 3 mana and a 50/50 chance to get the card back is exactly what the deck wants, that's four damage with Purph in play and two chump blockers/victims for Tymaret. I'd sooner cut Rakdos' Return and/or whatever removal you can get away with cutting in your meta, but definitely not Molten Birth. I'd go so far as to say it's the most important non-permanent in the deck.

How much land do each of you play? I'm floating around 25 (with 4 Mutavaults) just because hitting 4 mana is so important. I could drop 1 land, 1 Deathrite, and 1 Rakdos' Return to put them back in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

How much land do each of you play? I'm floating around 25 (with 4 Mutavaults) just because hitting 4 mana is so important. I could drop 1 land, 1 Deathrite, and 1 Rakdos' Return to put them back in.

23 lands, with a few Keyrunes for extra mana and/or hitting. How about I just link the list-

Deck: MURDERGOATS

Display deck statistics

There's an argument with my list for going down to 3 Purphoros and up to 24 land but if I'm not playing Purphoros on turn four or five I'm probably not winning. Plus you can always use the extra copies as Trading Post fodder or when one gets D-Sphere'd (this happened to me twice in one of my games)

E: Speaking of landcounts and my EDH time today, how many lands do you all typically run in EDH and what percent of them are basics? I got mana-screwed both rounds of competition with my Grixis EDH deck (38 lands, 17 basics) and I'm also working on fine-tuning a GW deck current at 38 lands with 14 basics. I have a few land-grabbing effects in both decks (including a Journeyor's Kite, currently in GW but maybe getting moved to Grixis) but they all grab basics, and I'm not sure how many are too many when half or fewer of your lands can be fetched with such cards.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 15, 2013

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

E: Speaking of landcounts and my EDH time today, how many lands do you all typically run in EDH and what percent of them are basics? I got mana-screwed both rounds of competition with my Grixis EDH deck (38 lands, 17 basics) and I'm also working on fine-tuning a GW deck current at 38 lands with 14 basics. I have a few land-grabbing effects in both decks (including a Journeyor's Kite, currently in GW but maybe getting moved to Grixis) but they all grab basics, and I'm not sure how many are too many when half or fewer of your lands can be fetched with such cards.

38 is a good number. I usually run a ton of card draw/land search in every EDH deck, as you really want to be hitting every land drop per turn. Plus, I think it's fun to run all the cards (besides staples like Kodama's Reach) such as Oath of Lieges in (Wx) and Gem of Becoming (in Grixis).

What percentage of basics? Probably similar to your numbers (except for my Wx deck with Emeria, which needs a ton of Plains). Basically, the more colors in a deck, the higher percentage of non-basics that I run in order to try achieve consistency; so Ruination against one of my 5 color decks is pretty crushing...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

logis posted:

38 is a good number. I usually run a ton of card draw/land search in every EDH deck, as you really want to be hitting every land drop per turn. Plus, I think it's fun to run all the cards (besides staples like Kodama's Reach) such as Oath of Lieges in (Wx) and Gem of Becoming (in Grixis).

I think I'm running 32 or so now, and sometimes still flood, but that's after trying and tweaking, probably the result of the amount of draw I have, and manarocks. The number of colours you take and their spread will probably also be a factor. 100 card singleton is weird for calculating such things, I think a lot of it will have to be trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I really like the Euro lands as well, I have one or two that were being handed out to players at their SDCC off-site thingy. Does anyone know somewhere those can be acquired in bulk? I only see singletons or small sets on ebay right now.

I highly doubt it (at least at anything resembling reasonable prices). Star City has a bunch, but they are stupid expensive there.

I got a few of them when I was living in Japan, the local store was giving them out as promos around M10, I think it was something like 1 land for every 1000 yen (~:10bux:) spent.

• Locked thread