Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

What the gently caress, Awful?

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I told you to edit the post, not re-post it!

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 20, 2012

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I honestly thought Fantavision was pretty terrible and am kind of confused at the sudden praise. It was barely worth the dollar I paid fir it.

How much did you play of it? It's a game that gets better as you get better at the mechanics, and like I said, where it really shines is in multiplayer.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wasn't it basically a launch game that went down to like $1 almost immediately?

Yep, it was a launch game and was priced at just $20 even then, as there's not a ton to it (though there was no multiplayer in the JP version). The price plummeted when everyone passed up "that dumb fireworks" game and went straight for Madden, Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, TimeSplitters, Tekken Tag Tournament, Ridge Racer V and SSX. Man, for all the poo poo the PS2 got at launch, that's actually a pretty decent set of day one games.

Spaz Medicine posted:

I LOVE Sky Odyssey. I sold it eight years ago and I'm still kicking myself.

You are a good person for loving that game, and don't feel bad; even good people do bad things from time to time (I had to sell mine too after the dot-com crash and I'll never find a new copy for cheap because Activision ran off like six copies).

...! posted:

So THQ has jumped into the online pass poo poo with Darksiders 2. They're going on my boycott list for that, but given that they're speculated to be about to have to close anyhow, I feel even less bad about it than usual. :\

They've been doing that for quite a while, actually (I think it started with the 2011 WWE game, but gently caress if I know for sure since I hate everything related to wrestling, especially the lovely games). The difference with Darksiders is that none of the stuff is really needed, but it's enticingly supplementary. You'll still get the full game, but you don't get the Crucible and you can't do the whole item gifting/messaging system (which means you can't technically Platinum the game, by the way). At least it's not chopping content from the main storyline, so you're still getting a couple dozen hours of game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat Soundshapes is loving dope.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

drat Soundshapes is loving dope.

Indeed. The first record is fun and all but the jump in quality from the first to the second is incredible. I still need to play it alot more though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Beck album is like digital drugs. By far my favorite, but the Superbrothers ones are awesome too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Have they fixed the servers? I spent like three days making a level when the game first came out and then couldn't upload it for another two days so I got frustrated and haven't touched it since. :(

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I didn't see a thread about it, so I assume this is a good place to talk about the upcoming Way of the Samurai 4 release? It's releasing on PSN this Tuesday for $40.

I absolutely loved the first one on PS2. One of my favorite games of all time. 2 and 3 were also pretty enjoyable. Although they severely lack funky fresh afro samurais. They make up for it with a better combat systems and the ability to screw the entire story and chop fish/make rice cakes all day long.

So, wondering if anyone knows how 4 is gonna turn out?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dawnfire posted:

So, wondering if anyone knows how 4 is gonna turn out?

Sanders reckons that reception to it on Japanese message boards has been very poor, but that's not going to stop me getting it in the slightest.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

Sanders reckons that reception to it on Japanese message boards has been very poor, but that's not going to stop me getting it in the slightest.
Not messageboards, rather Amazon.jp user reviews. They're the most reliable thing I have to go on for import games...but that's not really saying all that much.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, my bad! That's slightly more legitimate, yeah, but I never got the chance to play any of the other Way of the Samurai games, so I'm pretty determined to check out what's up with it anyway.

I've encountered my only real problem with Sleeping Dogs - some of the later drug busts get really dull when you've got to punch your way through twenty guys. Get into a decent rhythm (instakill the brawlers, take out the grapplers, take out everyone else) and it still takes a little too long.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I just completed Uncharted 1, after having loved Golden Abyss on Vita.
I liked it and all, but I thought there were way too many firefights, which were kinda hard (I am bad at games) even on easy, and the jet ski section was really annoying to control. Looking forward to 2 and 3 though!

Also completed MGS4 and now I don't know what to do with my life.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Elec posted:

Also completed MGS4 and now I don't know what to do with my life.

Download the Digital Database for MGS4 and then read it all without falling asleep. (You will fail at this.)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ah, the elusive triple post. This site has an edit button, you know. :)

quote:

you can't technically Platinum the game

That's what pisses me off about it. (Cue a bunch of smartasses talking about how trophies are meaningless. I know they are, but I like them anyway, dammit.) I'm not about to pay $10 for a couple of trophies. The gaming industry really needs to give up on the whole online pass thing. At least I'm following through on my convictions and refusing to buy any new game from companies that do this. THQ will only be getting rentals and used sales from me (if they survive for much longer).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The point isn't $10 for trophies, it's $10 so that developers get some money out of used games. If you buy the game new, you'll get a pass with it and it'll cost the same that it always would have if it was new.

Hopefully the only difference will be that retailers have to lower the price of used games to (old_price - $10) to compensate for the online pass, meaning that people playing online will be out the same money they were before and people playing offline only will save :10bux:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's pretty much what Gamestop does already.

"I hate online passes so much I exclusively put myself in the two situations where they affect me" is an interesting plan.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Aphrodite posted:

That's pretty much what Gamestop does already.

"I hate online passes so much I exclusively put myself in the two situations where they affect me" is an interesting plan.

This is the last post of yours that I will ever answer because I feel like I'm just feeding a troll when I do. If you're not trolling, you're really dumb. Think about it for a minute. I don't exclusively rent games. I buy several new games a year and none of those will be from companies that have implemented online passes in any of their games. This is not hard to grasp but it seems like you're being purposely obtuse.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

...! posted:

At least I'm following through on my convictions and refusing to buy any new game from companies that do this.

That's fair enough if you feel that way, and kudos for sticking to your convictions, but I have a feeling that in a couple years you're not gonna have many options for games to buy that don't have some form of online pass to punish the used game market.

The funny thing is that despite their reputation amongst gamers being quite poor, I can honestly see Activision being one of the last companies to adopt that strategy. I think Call of Duty will be the only major shooter franchise that doesn't require an online pass pretty soon.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Stelas posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not messageboards, rather Amazon.jp user reviews. They're the most reliable thing I have to go on for import games...but that's not really saying all that much.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B001OI242O
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B0061ZTG58

This is what I can sum up from Google Translate.

- Game locks up during the first lap/playthrough often enough for it to be mentioned in multiple reviews. Happens randomly and requires a soft reset. Getting conflicting reports that the "PLUS/The Best" version comes pre-patched to fix this. Hopefully the XSEED/North American version is already patched.
- The torture minigame when you get arrested is terrible. It's pretty easy to get arrested when breaking the law/messing around so expect to go through it often.
- Framerate suffers at times.
- Normal difficulty is much harder than previous WotS games (?)
- A single playthrough/lap takes longer than previous WotS titles. (?)
- Some characters cannot be killed or aren't killable at certain points in the game. In WotS games, if you want a NPC's unique sword you have to kill them or there's some related side quest.
- The Heat system has been changed somehow and Amazon reviewers don't like it.

Dawnfire posted:

I didn't see a thread about it, so I assume this is a good place to talk about the upcoming Way of the Samurai 4 release? It's releasing on PSN this Tuesday for $40.

I absolutely loved the first one on PS2. One of my favorite games of all time. 2 and 3 were also pretty enjoyable. Although they severely lack funky fresh afro samurais. They make up for it with a better combat systems and the ability to screw the entire story and chop fish/make rice cakes all day long.
I'll try to get a Way of the Samurai 4 thread up today or tomorrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

This is the last post of yours that I will ever answer because I feel like I'm just feeding a troll when I do. If you're not trolling, you're really dumb. Think about it for a minute. I don't exclusively rent games. I buy several new games a year and none of those will be from companies that have implemented online passes in any of their games. This is not hard to grasp but it seems like you're being purposely obtuse.

Exclusively in regards to those games, genius.

It's masochism. It's funny.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SamBishop posted:

Yep, it was a launch game and was priced at just $20 even then, as there's not a ton to it (though there was no multiplayer in the JP version). The price plummeted when everyone passed up "that dumb fireworks" game and went straight for Madden, Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, TimeSplitters, Tekken Tag Tournament, Ridge Racer V and SSX. Man, for all the poo poo the PS2 got at launch, that's actually a pretty decent set of day one games.

Yeah, that is a lot better than I remember being talked about when the PS2 first launched.

Also worth noting that Fantavision was originally just a tech demo.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gyoru posted:

Hopefully the XSEED/North American version is already patched.

I want to say XSEED are good at making sure this happens, but to be honest I can't cite any specific examples so much as a general feeling, so I might be entirely wrong.

The rest of it I can't say I'm too worried about though I guess I'm getting worryingly used to PS3 frametrate drops. I'm used to Yakuza games, so not being able to kill NPCs doesn't even make me blink for a moment.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Believe it or not but we actually had a whole conversation like back in January about these Amazon Japan reviews for WotS 4. Someone translated the no.1 received review here

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

RichterIX posted:

Do you have RGB full-range set to "on" in your display settings? It's inappropriate for most HDTVs and it crushes the poo poo out of blacks.

I have no idea! I'll dig around and see, thanks for the advice. EDIT: Seriously, thanks a lot dude! That one change has made games that were nigh on impossible to play in night settings to perfect.

second-hand smegma posted:

I have no idea why anyone would do this. 3 is the better game. 2 has the better campaign. Even if you don't care about the order and flow of the story (which you should), the set-pieces and multiplayer in 3 are still far superior, and it is definitely the game to go out on.

I hope nobody else listens to jaded opgoonions (portmanteau!) and attempts this.

Ah, whoops. Silly me, eh? I've seen the majority of one and two via LP (and completed GA on Vita) and knows what happens in both but yeeeah thinking about it... Didn't get that far into 3 though, so I'll just play through 2 instead. Thanks, again, for the advice (and that other dude who said the same thing).

Calexio fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 20, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Stelas posted:

I've encountered my only real problem with Sleeping Dogs - some of the later drug busts get really dull when you've got to punch your way through twenty guys. Get into a decent rhythm (instakill the brawlers, take out the grapplers, take out everyone else) and it still takes a little too long.
This gets solved when they all start packing heat, and the drug busts turn into fights down to their hideout, then holding out against waves of heavily armed backup. The police often get involved too - gets super tense.

... and how on earth are you instakilling brawlers? I've got most of melee unlocked, and the best I can do is counter->exploit opening. I always end up going after the generic dudes first, just because I can actually take them down fast. (usually by throwing them over a railing :3:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

... and how on earth are you instakilling brawlers? I've got most of melee unlocked, and the best I can do is counter->exploit opening. I always end up going after the generic dudes first, just because I can actually take them down fast. (usually by throwing them over a railing :3:)

Once you learn the backroll move, you can use it on an enemy and get an instant "stealth" kill from behind by grappling.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Also one of the later upgrades gives you some amazing skills when your Face Meter is active in fights. My favourite is the fact that you can use the grapple button to just walk up to a guy with a weapon, and disarm him and attack him with his own knife all at once. It's very satisfying.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Shalinor posted:

I might have the name wrong, but to me brawlers are the guys that block a lot? They're completely open to being grabbed, so you just grab them and run at the nearest shining orange object. Bam, instakill. I save all the situational kills for those guys, since everyone else is pretty easy to take out or else absolutely cannot be grappled.

e: Also, the stun knee generally gives me very good results, and as mentioned the backwards grapple is a great thing.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 20, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Stelas posted:

I might have the name wrong, but to me brawlers are the guys that block a lot? They're completely open to being grabbed, so you just grab them and run at the nearest shining orange object. Bam, instakill. I save all the situational kills for those guys, since everyone else is pretty easy to take out or else absolutely cannot be grappled.

e: Also, the stun knee generally gives me very good results, and as mentioned the backwards grapple is a great thing.
The rest of this I am down with, but I completely forget to use the backroll every time. I suppose I need to do more of that.

Is there any way of dealing with the big fat dudes that grab you? The only fights I have difficulty with are when they throw multiples of those at you. I end up doing a lot running back and forth, just trying to not let them gang up behind me.

EDIT: Also, it is totally awesome that this is a big sandbox game with a melee combat system that merits this much discussion. I freaking love Sleeping Dogs. I could never get into Yakuza, but this, this I can do.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Is there any way of dealing with the big fat dudes that grab you? The only fights I have difficulty with are when they throw multiples of those at you. I end up doing a lot running back and forth, just trying to not let them gang up behind me.

They don't block at all, so the best way I've found is to just pick one and wail on him until he falls over, then repeat. The wide knockdown roundhouse doesn't knock them down, but usually does a good job of pushing them and any other people around them far enough back.

And try to get out of the habit of button mashing triangle to get out of their holds, as half the time it'll cost you dearly. I... haven't learnt that part yet.

The problem I keep having is with guys with melee weapons, I always forget that they'll usually go in for a second and then a third strike in quick succession. So if I get hit once I'll usually get hit the other two times as I throw a punch.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Just platted Sound Shapes. A++, awesome game.

Death modes were all p. hard, but rhythm memorization and persistance worked out for me in the end.

Community levels are pretty hit and miss. The highest rated section is all lovely Zelda and Mario "remixes". There are cool levels if you look, but I've had better luck in "Most recent ", fwiw.

Will probably play with the editor pretty soon. I'll report back if anyone is interested.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Calexio posted:

I have no idea! I'll dig around and see, thanks for the advice. EDIT: Seriously, thanks a lot dude! That one change has made games that were nigh on impossible to play in night settings to perfect.

No problem, I had this issue when I first got my PS3 in like 2008, basically because I went "This seems like a good option to turn on :downs:" without actually looking up what it did. I think it's an option that really only applies to computer monitors.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Thumbquat posted:

Community levels are pretty hit and miss. The highest rated section is all lovely Zelda and Mario "remixes". There are cool levels if you look, but I've had better luck in "Most recent ", fwiw.

Yeah, when I first got into the community section, I saw TLoZ music and thought it might be impressive if someone properly creative had done it. It was a slope up, and then back down, and it played the first aprt of the Lost Woods song from OoT. And that was it.

There are definitely some neat ones on there, though. I saw one (I think it was posted by a goon) that was a combination office/volcano level that was pretty neat.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, when I first got into the community section, I saw TLoZ music and thought it might be impressive if someone properly creative had done it. It was a slope up, and then back down, and it played the first aprt of the Lost Woods song from OoT. And that was it.

There are definitely some neat ones on there, though. I saw one (I think it was posted by a goon) that was a combination office/volcano level that was pretty neat.

Yeah, I can only assume the way to go is to "follow " some cool users and do it that way. Trouble is finding the cool people, I guess.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Much hyped, but ultimately flawed PS3 game Tokyo Jungle is coming to the US. For a mere $14.99. Much better than the original MSRP of $50 in Japan.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Harlock posted:

but ultimately flawed PS3 game Tokyo Jungle

Please elaborate... I'm interested in the game conceptually, but I know nothing about how it actually turned out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zenintrude posted:

Please elaborate... I'm interested in the game conceptually, but I know nothing about how it actually turned out.
I hear it's a kind of score attack game with a bunch of side-scrolling stages, with lots of grinding to get the better animals (some animals are more equal than others).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For $15 I can forgive a game a lot if it means I get to run around post-apocalyptic Tokyo as a brave and fearless pomeranian dog.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Much hyped, but ultimately flawed PS3 game Tokyo Jungle is coming to the US. For a mere $14.99. Much better than the original MSRP of $50 in Japan.

Whoa, for $15, I can get in on that. Awesome price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, looking for a game suggestion.

My PS3 broke, and as a consolation Sony offered me a free first-party game of my choice when I pay for the repair. Anyone have suggestions on which game I should choose? Anything from this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Sony_Computer_Entertainment#PlayStation_3

Pretty sure the only game on there I own is GT5. I like all genres, but I usually don't care for pro sports games and I don't have a Move.

• Locked thread