Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rhyno posted:

I saw a special on TLC once about that. One dude had two mortgages on his home so he could have a perfect hot rod.
Which he lost when his wife divorced him.

That's how I got my Mark VII. Dude was selling everything he had before the divorce could be finalized, or something like that.

shoopeach posted:

looks like I'm not the only one who gets bored at work and does houston craigslist searches for "custom" "project" and "invested". They always tend to yield some entertaining results.

I can't stop :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Presented without comment
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4341343033.html

And now, :getin:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/4336705490.html

Coredump fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 20, 2014

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
"Testing the waters..." is really coming across here as "I might steal this vehicle I awkwardly photographed at 7-11; would anyone pay me money for it? "

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4291562675.html

On my phone so best I can do for a screenshot is this, but check out the fender badge.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Terrible Robot posted:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4291562675.html

On my phone so best I can do for a screenshot is this, but check out the fender badge.

$12,500 for a few hundred pounds of rust.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

uPen posted:

$12,500 for a few hundred pounds of rust.

Hmm, OP was on the phone but it looks to be a donor car and a unfinished project car bundle.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

crazysim posted:

Hmm, OP was on the phone but it looks to be a donor car and a unfinished project car bundle.

It's 12,500 for the rust pile and 12,500 for the project car or you can get the friend price of 22,000 for the lot.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Haha I didn't notice he wanted $12,500 for that pile of tetanus, that's insane.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I don't get people who just drive cars out into the middle of a field with the windows down and just let the car rot, and this is from someone who left a car in a salt garage for 7 years for sweet underbody rust.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Octopus Magic posted:

I don't get people who just drive cars out into the middle of a field with the windows down and just let the car rot, and this is from someone who left a car in a salt garage for 7 years for sweet underbody rust.

One thing to keep in mind about that GTO and is something that all of the big muscle cars of the time have suffered from over the ages, is multiple gas crisis and crippling insurance rates. For decades these cars were seen as anachronisms. Couple that with low scrap value and/or lack of facilities to scrap them, it was easier for many to just to dump them out in a field. What is surprising today is that so many are still being found. Many feel the era of the barn find is rapidly coming to an end. I believe it's this nostalgia for barn-finds, coupled with an overabundance of over-restored cars, that's partially driving the rat-rod and survivor markets.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

trouser chili posted:

One thing to keep in mind about that GTO and is something that all of the big muscle cars of the time have suffered from over the ages, is multiple gas crisis and crippling insurance rates.

My Uncle sold his hemi convertable road runner with a manual transmission (of which like 10 were made) for $200 bucks.
He couldn't afford the gas.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Guys, guys... that Malibu wagon was pretty sweet though right?

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4342025955.html

Well now... Here's a interesting find for cheap money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Interesting find if you don't mind the SERIOUS FRAME ROT.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Didn't all Judges have urethane bumpers? That looks like a GTO/Tempest.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Every Omni I've ever been in was an absolute shitbox. I'll never understand why anyone would ever want one out of anything other than desperation.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

leica posted:

Interesting find if you don't mind the SERIOUS FRAME ROT.

If they are admitting this in a CL ad, that fucker must be ready to break in two.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

theacox posted:

Every Omni I've ever been in was an absolute shitbox. I'll never understand why anyone would ever want one out of anything other than desperation.

Regular Omnis aren't special but the Shelby-designed GLH (or even better, the GLHS) models are insane. The generic Chrysler 2.2 turbo they wedged in everything from K-cars to minivans, fitted into a car that weighs slightly over 1 ton. Depending on year they can have 175+ HP, and are pretty easily tuned to produce more with minor bolt-ons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dr.Caligari posted:

If they are admitting this in a CL ad, that fucker must be ready to break in two.

I wonder if the unibody rot will reduce or increase torque steer. I'm assuming at some level of rot the harmonics of the boxed sections waggling apart probably act as a damper.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Some poor MGA got the Fiero treatment.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4342965020.html

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

At least they seem to have done the actual work to make it look good. Body panels all fit, that's a big step up from most Fieros.

He won't get anywhere near what he is asking for it though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

trouser chili posted:

One thing to keep in mind about that GTO and is something that all of the big muscle cars of the time have suffered from over the ages, is multiple gas crisis and crippling insurance rates. For decades these cars were seen as anachronisms. Couple that with low scrap value and/or lack of facilities to scrap them, it was easier for many to just to dump them out in a field. What is surprising today is that so many are still being found. Many feel the era of the barn find is rapidly coming to an end. I believe it's this nostalgia for barn-finds, coupled with an overabundance of over-restored cars, that's partially driving the rat-rod and survivor markets.

I think cheap old cars will come back when the boomers start dying off. I mean, millenials don't like cars anyway, right? :v:

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

subx posted:

At least they seem to have done the actual work to make it look good. Body panels all fit, that's a big step up from most Fieros.

He won't get anywhere near what he is asking for it though.

His biggest problem is that I could buy and build the kit for that price and run circles around that car in looks an performance.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think cheap old cars will come back when the boomers start dying off. I mean, millenials don't like cars anyway, right? :v:

I think there are some millennials that like cars, and there are so many if them it'll only take a small percentage. You also never really know what the tastes of a generation might do over time. I mean the boomers were all free love and free weed and then they gave us the 80's, and then the 90's. I do think your predictions have merit though. The boomers are going to realize that the muscle cars of their youth actually suck poo poo to drive...especially so when your body is old, tired and broken. There aren't enough X-gens to absorb the glut of these cars as the boomers age out, and the millennials aren't showing any signs they're going to appreciate these cars in the way previous generations did. So prices will likely depress over time. I think other cars might see some appreciation though. Personal luxury cars from the 70's I think will see a surge. loving hipsters or some poo poo I don't give a gently caress.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 21, 2014

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I'm 36 and my dad has always driven muscle cars from the sixties, and slower cars from the middle 50's. It makes sense to me that he grew up in a '55 Ford and when he was a teen the 60's muscle cars were in full swing. It's what he wanted at the time and they were cool as poo poo for their time. I think when people are window shopping old cars they loose touch with reality a bit by comparing numbers on paper. Those old cars drive like crap compared to any new car on the road today. You have to love these cars to drive them. My dad's 67 Fairlane will drat near pull the front wheels and it has manual steering with a giant wheel and manual 4 wheel drum brakes. He's fine with it. It scares the poo poo out of me.

I also think his cars are cool because I grew up with them through his love for them. Guess what my favorite cars are though? 80's. lovely 80's cars. When I grew up it was all red letter calculators and super cars shaped like door stopper wedges. Toyota Supra's and the Fox bodies soon followed. I still love a well done LX notchback with a 302.

Look at what has been offered by car dealers since '00 and you will see the future of the car hobby. Cars are more disposable now. I'm honestly surprised LG or GE hasn't started marketing them as cheap appliances. Kids are excited by a Honda Civic that can barely cut a strong headwind. They would rather have bluetooth and apps in the dash then something impracical but cool. When the tires wear out they are looking to trade it in. They think that customizing a car involves double sided tape. A new air filter qualifies as engine work. There will always be a small part of the population that is able to keep these cars going but as the electric cars take over I'm afraid our hobby is going to be relegated to museum pieces.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Drum brakes really aren't as scary as you'd think - they're just heavier, more complex and harder to work on than discs, which is generally why discs are preferred now. Plenty of big rigs use drum brakes to stop, and they're dealing with a lot more inertia than even the biggest land yachts.

My '66 Cadillac never felt unsafe in braking, and it had 4 big ol' drums. My '65 Corvair had 4 manual drums, and stopped incredibly well. My '54 Bel Air was scary only because it had a single circuit master cylinder, but at this point, coupled with radial tires, I trust the brakes just fine!

e: Actually, while I'm thinking about it, it may surprise you to learn that some chain stores did used to sell cars! http://www.cartype.com/pages/3681/sears_allstate__1953

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 21, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrSaturn posted:

Drum brakes really aren't as scary as you'd think - they're just heavier, more complex and harder to work on than discs, which is generally why discs are preferred now. Plenty of big rigs use drum brakes to stop, and they're dealing with a lot more inertia than even the biggest land yachts.

Where drum brakes generally fall down is with repeated heavy braking, since the drum expands when it heats up, and the shoes have to travel further outwards before anything happens.

But if you're doing repeated heavy braking in traffic, you're doing something very wrong.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

What an atrocity. Someone put that poor MGA out of its misery. Bad taste + too much money a good car does not make.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4331775773.html

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Cheap old cars never left. You can pick up '40s thru '50s cars for essentially nothing all day long. It was only muscle cars that got crazy.
Even now, '60s Camaros are back down what looks like 30%-40% off their peaks. Sure, you still see people asking $30k for a clapped out 6 cylinder, but they are not selling at that price.

All that said, I actually don't see muscle prices falling dramatically. There are a couple of things that will keep that from being the case. First, there are not that many '80s cars that really ever made it to "lustworthy" status. Even '80s kids like myself recognized that a 65 Wildcat was cooler than any 80s leSabre.

Things got better in the 90's with the return of non-poo poo box pony cars and solid Japanese rivals (300zx, Rx-7, etc).
But guess what? Those cars are hard to keep on the road now and keeping those computers up and running 20 years from now will border on the impossible. My guess is that in 10 years the only running 3000gt VR-4 will be in a Mitsubishi museum.

So where does that leave the "car guys" over the next 20 years? Well, there are a handful of post-70s cars that will be affordable to keep on the road (Miatas, 240zs, Fox-bodies, some mercedes). But if want a sexy car, that you can afford and keep on the road you will have to consider something from the Muscle car era.

Compound this with the new wealth in the developing world (which has already started importing American classics) and you have a recipe for stable prices.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can't wait for shoeboxes to drop in price so I can drive to work in style. LS swap that beast and drive it for 200k miles.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
If I can get my hands on a trailer and sell another car this weekend I might pick up this shitheap.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/4327603108.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

What's with the advertisement cars thing? I've seen a few around here, what is the appeal of having some random company/brand plastered all over your car?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

If I can get my hands on a trailer and sell another car this weekend I might pick up this shitheap.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/4327603108.html

Well it's got a 16v which is cool, but it looks like hell and it's been auto-xed and who knows what the real reason is for it breaking down.

That said, for $700, what could possibly go wrong? famous last words

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Cheap old cars never left. You can pick up '40s thru '50s cars for essentially nothing all day long. It was only muscle cars that got crazy.
Even now, '60s Camaros are back down what looks like 30%-40% off their peaks. Sure, you still see people asking $30k for a clapped out 6 cylinder, but they are not selling at that price.

All that said, I actually don't see muscle prices falling dramatically. There are a couple of things that will keep that from being the case. First, there are not that many '80s cars that really ever made it to "lustworthy" status. Even '80s kids like myself recognized that a 65 Wildcat was cooler than any 80s leSabre.

Things got better in the 90's with the return of non-poo poo box pony cars and solid Japanese rivals (300zx, Rx-7, etc).
But guess what? Those cars are hard to keep on the road now and keeping those computers up and running 20 years from now will border on the impossible. My guess is that in 10 years the only running 3000gt VR-4 will be in a Mitsubishi museum.

So where does that leave the "car guys" over the next 20 years? Well, there are a handful of post-70s cars that will be affordable to keep on the road (Miatas, 240zs, Fox-bodies, some mercedes). But if want a sexy car, that you can afford and keep on the road you will have to consider something from the Muscle car era.

Compound this with the new wealth in the developing world (which has already started importing American classics) and you have a recipe for stable prices.

Do European cars not exist in your world or something?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

There's a lot more desirable/collectible cars from the 80's than from the 60's.

AE86 Corolla, SA22 and FC RX-7s, S13 240sx, second and third gen Supras, fox body Stangs, IROC Camaros, Buick Regal T-Type/GN/GNX, E30 M3 and 325is, M535i, Merc 190e 2.3s, hell Porsche 959s and Lotus Carltons are old enough to import now.

80s EFI is also usually pretty simple to work on and doesn't require anything more complex than a good DMM to work on compared to newer OBDII cars which will at minimum need a scan tool to pull/reset codes, so I don't know where you get this notion it would make them more difficult to keep running over carbs.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

subx posted:

What's with the advertisement cars thing? I've seen a few around here, what is the appeal of having some random company/brand plastered all over your car?

Well in order to keep the unwashed masses of america enslaved to them forever, the j*ws teach them, via media control and other brainwashing schemes, that the more money you have the more you are "winning" at life and the happier you will be. So, if you can afford to buy name brand products then you are rich and you can put the corporate logos on your car to show that you can afford these products and therefore show everyone how successful and good you are.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Raluek posted:

Suicide doors are so-called because they can fly open while moving (and throw you out? I guess?) because they're hinged backwards. Wouldn't that make a regular hood a suicide hood?

The explanation I heard and have always "gone with" is... You park, open your driver's side suicide door, it juts out into the street and gets whacked by a passing vehicle while you're getting out and you get chopped in half by the door

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

a real rear end nigga posted:

Well in order to keep the unwashed masses of america enslaved to them forever, the j*ws teach them, via media control and other brainwashing schemes, that the more money you have the more you are "winning" at life and the happier you will be. So, if you can afford to buy name brand products then you are rich and you can put the corporate logos on your car to show that you can afford these products and therefore show everyone how successful and good you are.

what the gently caress

is my sarcasm meter broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

rscott posted:

Do European cars not exist in your world or something?

What? The question was posed as to the falling value of muscle cars, and I said it wont' happen because they would remain in peoples consideration set out of necesity. Not that there were not a lot of classic European cars that will also remain in there. That said, I think the exact same problems apply. Think about how much it costs to keep an e34 or e39 M5 on the road? A fortune. It is part of the reason E28/E30 prices are through the roof.

HotCanadianChick posted:

There's a lot more desirable/collectible cars from the 80's than from the 60's.

I definitely won't go that far and I think a check of Craigslist would show the general populace agrees with me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

AE86 Corolla, SA22 and FC RX-7s, S13 240sx, second and third gen Supras, fox body Stangs, IROC Camaros, Buick Regal T-Type/GN/GNX, E30 M3 and 325is, M535i, Merc 190e 2.3s, hell Porsche 959s and Lotus Carltons are old enough to import now.
Cars like the 959 and the GNX are in a totally different universe.
I think you are missing my point. I never said there were no cars that would be interesting to hobbyists from the 80s (I specifically pointed out a couple), but I didn't make any kind of a definitive list. You posted lots of great cars that will have followings for decades, but a LOT of people are going to be turned off of them because of the maintenance cost. Isn't the faulty headlight switch on an FC RX-7 running like $250 ebay? A quick search of Orielly says they have a headlight switch for a 1965 Mustang in stock. $14.

This is the kind of thing that will keep prices up for usable classics for a long time.

HotCanadianChick posted:

so I don't know where you get this notion it would make them more difficult to keep running over carbs.

I never said anything about carbs. I am talking about severe things, like airbag computers having their motherboards delaminate. What do you think is going to happen all those digital dashes in the 280zxs?

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 21, 2014