Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Pizza Dude posted:

So my new roommate has a deep fryer. What are your favorite things to deep fry?

Chicken wings of various types, fries, samosas with various fillings, empanadas, potato cones.

I've been meaning to try tempura style but I'm thinking that might be easier on the stove.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pizza Dude posted:

Oreos.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pizza Dude posted:

Bread pudding.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

walruscat posted:

I've been meaning to try tempura style but I'm thinking that might be easier on the stove.

Tempura is way easier in a deep fryer, unless you meant a pot of oil on the stove... at which point, you might as well be using a deep fryer?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pizza Dude posted:

Pickles.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Pizza Dude posted:

Make sure you do at least one deep-fried Mars bar.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Falafel. French fries.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Heston Blumenthal's Thrice-Cooked Fries, if you have temperature controls.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Someone tell me how I erred terribly by following this borsch recipe here.
It seems mighty tasty to me.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

tarepanda posted:

Tempura is way easier in a deep fryer, unless you meant a pot of oil on the stove... at which point, you might as well be using a deep fryer?

This is good to know. I guess I'll just use my deep fryer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So we got the bel'olio grapeseed oil from CostCo back when they were carrying it, and love the stuff. And are running out.

...I'm not even sure if I can find grapeseed oil anywhere, much less relatively cheap at CostCo. Is there a reasonably findable substitute that is equally high temp, low cost, low flavor?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Entropic posted:

Someone tell me how I erred terribly by following this borsch recipe here.
It seems mighty tasty to me.

So...was there something wrong when you made it?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Pizza Dude posted:

Fresh, whole, mild chili peppers. Just sprinkle on some coarse salt after, it rules.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Kenning posted:

Fresh, whole, mild chili peppers. Just sprinkle on some coarse salt after, it rules.

As a snack or something to garnish food with?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

walruscat posted:

This is good to know. I guess I'll just use my deep fryer.

This is just a random comment because of the guy asking about okra before, but eggplant and okra, while delicious, are two of the most dangerous kinds of tempura to eat IMO. They both contain a liquid that will boil and squirt into your mouth without warning when you bite down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Casu Marzu posted:

So...was there something wrong when you made it?

No, it was delicious. I'm just curious to see if there's a GWS opinion on Borsch. It seems like that could maybe be a thing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think this might just be a difference in regional terms, but when a recipe indicates "tomato sauce" as an ingredient what is it referring to? I assume it's crushed tomatoes or tomato paste? Typically in Canada tomato sauce just refers to pre-made jarred pasta sauce.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd assume it meant pasta sauce, not tomato paste.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

walruscat posted:

As a snack or something to garnish food with?

As a snack or appetizer. It works best with longish thin peppers, like shishitos or padrons or some fancy heirloom stuff. If you can find Jimmy Nardello peppers they are absolutely divine. Poke a whole in them so they don't explode when you fry them.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Chemmy posted:

I'd assume it meant pasta sauce, not tomato paste.

I saw it mentioned in a recipe for homemade barbecue sauce, so I'd assume they don't intend to dump a jar of Ragu in there and it must be referring to something else.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 1, 2013

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Probably tomato ketchup.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Definitely ketchup.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it's barbecue sauce then yes, I'd agree it's ketchup.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Odd that they wouldn't just say ketchup?

I also found this stuff online and it looks like crushed.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Depends on where the recipe writer was from. "tomato sauce" means "ketchup" in some states and many countries.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Kenning posted:

As a snack or appetizer. It works best with longish thin peppers, like shishitos or padrons or some fancy heirloom stuff. If you can find Jimmy Nardello peppers they are absolutely divine. Poke a whole in them so they don't explode when you fry them.

This sounds pretty fantastic.

tarepanda posted:

This is just a random comment because of the guy asking about okra before, but eggplant and okra, while delicious, are two of the most dangerous kinds of tempura to eat IMO. They both contain a liquid that will boil and squirt into your mouth without warning when you bite down.

It's funny you'd mention eggplant and okra as they are both delicious vegetables that I have the hardest time preparing compared to other vegetables. I'd never thought of them in tempura form. I wonder if you could poke a hole him them like Kenning does with his peppers so they wouldn't be so dangerous to eat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Potentially stupid question time: the Internet seems so think that horizontal rotisseries are better for chicken than vertical, since the juices tumble through the body cavity instead of falling out the bottom. What if one were to put a chicken upside down in a vertical roaster? Would the fat in the thighs distribute through the breasts?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wouldn't it just go out the neck?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe? I guess we won't know for sure unless someone with a vertical rotisserie wants to try it out?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Tomato sauce is not just ketchup. However yeah, if making a barbecue sauce you can just use ketchup but use less sugar. Tomato sauce is just another canned tomato product you can buy that is basically a tomato concentrate that is not thick like tomato paste. It's most interchangeable with crushed tomato but is smoother than crushed tomato.

That can you posted is indeed what the recipe is referring to.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

silvergoose posted:

So we got the bel'olio grapeseed oil from CostCo back when they were carrying it, and love the stuff. And are running out.

...I'm not even sure if I can find grapeseed oil anywhere, much less relatively cheap at CostCo. Is there a reasonably findable substitute that is equally high temp, low cost, low flavor?

Dunno where you live, but Trader Joe's carries it, and I've seen grapeseed oil at regular grocery stores around here (but then I live in California and that might just be trickle-down from wine country).

Peanut oil is probably your next best bet I suppose. Avocado oil if you can find it, I've only seen it at my local "health" food store.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mich posted:

Tomato sauce is not just ketchup. However yeah, if making a barbecue sauce you can just use ketchup but use less sugar. Tomato sauce is just another canned tomato product you can buy that is basically a tomato concentrate that is not thick like tomato paste. It's most interchangeable with crushed tomato but is smoother than crushed tomato.

Here in Australia we call ketchup "tomato sauce", it goes on pies (savoury single serve beef pastries) and hotdogs (edit: though not after you're 12 I believe over there in the USA), it's tomatoes with salt, sugar, spice etc, ie a finished table sauce. Pretty sure it's the same in the UK.

The tomato concentrate you're talking about mich, which is nothing except tomatoes cooked and sieved, is known here by the Italian name "passata", or can be called 'tomato puree'.

Basically we have:
Tomatoes - fresh or tinned (duh)
Tomato puree/passata
Sugo (traditional pasta tomato sauce)
Tomato paste
Heat and eat pasta tomato based flavoured sauces from a jar to pour over horrible ground/minced beef and pasta and call it "spag bol"
ketchup/western 'tomato sauce' for pies and hot dogs

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
IIRC, Australian tomato sauce is still a little different from American ketchup. Its close, but our ketchup has more sourness.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

mich posted:

Alright, that makes more sense. I've never seen it here in Canada. Usually for canned stuff there's just whole, diced, crushed and paste.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A friend of mine enjoys mixing chopped almonds into applesauce, which is cool and all — but now she's wondering if she can mix them in before canning the applesauce. Anyone know whether the acidity would do any real damage to the almonds, or vice-versa, or...?

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
I'm currently organizing a 65th birthday for a lady who was always conservative foodwise but has recently become more adventurous and is having a blast over her new findings. The gathering will occur around chinese fondue, so I'm looking for "different" dipping sauces ideas - "different" meaning that she's used to mayo/chili sauce and mayo/mustard mixes. Any suggestions?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

HALP!

I'm making this for my wife's Bday dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAFkYm3u1Q

Anyways, two questions. He says his vinagrette consists of 'olive oil, water, lemon juice, salt/pepper.' Any idea on the ratios/how to prepare?

Second question: For the roasted tomatoes, he puts them in the oven with the pilot light on overnight, and then seasons them. I don't have a gas stove, only electric. What can I do to emulate this?

Thanks!

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
Our friends just had a baby and I was wanting to make a few meals for them that are easy to freeze/reheat at their leisure. I'd really appreciate ideas/suggestions/recipes from GWS goons as I know you won't give me some disgusting tater tot casserole recipe. We're also into spring here so heavy stews etc are probably out.

Thanks!

Eden fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 2, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Lasagna, breakfast burritos, chicken noodle soup (or just nice chicken stock), vegetable soup, macaroni and cheese...

Various curries and proper rice are also good for freezing.

Definitely portion things out and wrap them or put them in ziploc containers first for easy microwaving so they don't have to make the entire thing at once and can just pull out a little thing and nuke that.

When I do this myself, I also make things that don't necessarily make a stand-alone meal, but work well reheated with simple things like bread or some fruit or whatever.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

nwin posted:

HALP!

I'm making this for my wife's Bday dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAFkYm3u1Q

Anyways, two questions. He says his vinagrette consists of 'olive oil, water, lemon juice, salt/pepper.' Any idea on the ratios/how to prepare?

Second question: For the roasted tomatoes, he puts them in the oven with the pilot light on overnight, and then seasons them. I don't have a gas stove, only electric. What can I do to emulate this?

Thanks!

For the vinaigrette: I have no idea why he has water in there. It might help to reduce the acidity of the dressing, I guess, but the point of a lemon vinaigrette is the acidity. Since you're dressing potatoes and salmon and not greens, I would say the ratio is probably something like 1 tbsp of lemon juice to a quarter cup of oil and salt and pepper to taste, but since it's a dressing you can adjust it til it's to your liking, just like any other sauce. Prep it by whisking it in a bowl or shaking it in a container and dunk a piece of potato in it. If it's too acidic, add more oil (or water, if you really want). If it's not acidic enough, add more lemon juice. If it needs salt and pepper, add salt and pepper.

His tomato method I don't understand at all, but I guess that works if you're using cherry tomatoes. Here's a recipe for oven-roasted tomatoes that works with larger ones which might be a good starting place? Cherry tomatoes will definitely take less time than plum tomatoes, though.