Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Istari posted:

I thought it was a dildo :shrug:

Kidney Stone posted:

I can be that as well.

Do you charge by the hour, or what? PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OK Some Butt Stuff posted:

I thought that was a nose hair trimmer

It will definitely end any nose hair issues you might have.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RCarr posted:

Do you charge by the hour, or what? PM me.

Whatever they charge, I'll charge half.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I am pretty sure the one on the right is only an angel to Xena.

Those are Ophanim, giant flaming wheels with eyes, who support the chariot of god according to Ezekiel.

Only the lowest level of angel is supposed to look human, and even them that's not consistent across all sources. Winged humanoids were a Roman motif that got worked into Christianity as it spread throughout the empire.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Istari posted:

I thought it was a dildo :shrug:

The good is good, the penis is stupid and inconvenient.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Little Blackfly posted:

Only the lowest level of angel is supposed to look human, and even them that's not consistent across all sources. Winged humanoids were a Roman motif that got worked into Christianity as it spread throughout the empire.
Angels are really, really not a major topic of discussion in the Bible. The number of supernatural characters in the book not named "God" is actually pretty low, and tons of our heaven/hell imagery comes more from Dante than anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope they keep making more weird old testament movies. We're getting Exodus, but I'd love something like Elisha. Some kids made fun of him for being bald, so he had God send a bear to devour them.

Elijah would make for a pretty decent movie too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Angels are really, really not a major topic of discussion in the Bible. The number of supernatural characters in the book not named "God" is actually pretty low, and tons of our heaven/hell imagery comes more from Dante than anything.

And Milton.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well angels play a big part in the story of Lot and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sends angels as messengers and all the men in town gather around Lot's house to gang rape them. Lot, being the holy man he is, offers his two teenage virgin daughters to be gang raped by the whole city to protect the angels. But it's cool, the town says no, they'd rather rape angels. Then fireballs come down from the sky while Lot and his family play City Escape (level 1). But then Lot's wife turns around (which she was STRICTLY told NOT to do) and becomes a pillar of salt.

The story ends with Lot's daughters assuming they're the last three people alive on earth (because they're dumb). They decide they need to repopulate the earth. So they get their father drunk and rape him. They get preggers and pop out children named Moab (leader of the Moabites) and Ben-Ammi (leader of the Ammonites).

The Bible is fun!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

theflyingorc posted:

Popularized by Dante and Milton and then kept up in perpetuity by thousands of Renaissance artists who then put angels into everything. Honestly, the majority of Western Christian iconography that we know today came out of the Renaissance

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

umalt posted:

The gun is good, the penis is stupid and inconvenient.
Is that what you meant?

Bored has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Sexy Sean Connery's from Zardoz, I'd never have thought I'd see the day that such a thing would exist...

...oh, and yes.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Krinkle posted:

Lotta people going trick or treating as King Wizard Muscles and his Muscular Son this Halloween?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Well angels play a big part in the story of Lot and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sends angels as messengers and all the men in town gather around Lot's house to gang rape them. Lot, being the holy man he is, offers his two teenage virgin daughters to be gang raped by the whole city to protect the angels. But it's cool, the town says no, they'd rather rape angels. Then fireballs come down from the sky while Lot and his family play City Escape (level 1). But then Lot's wife turns around (which she was STRICTLY told NOT to do) and becomes a pillar of salt.

The story ends with Lot's daughters assuming they're the last three people alive on earth (because they're dumb). They decide they need to repopulate the earth. So they get their father drunk and rape him. They get preggers and pop out children named Moab (leader of the Moabites) and Ben-Ammi (leader of the Ammonites).

The Bible is fun!

Now that sounds like the plot of a Zach Snyder movie.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

meatsaw posted:

Now that sounds like the plot of a Zach Snyder movie.

Xerxes from 300 is (possibly) referred to in the Bible, so...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If Noah doesn't end with a naked Russell Crowe laying out in his tent being drunk as poo poo, and condemning his kid into eternal slavery for covering up his old man balls with a blanket, I will be upset :(

It could be the perfect lead for a sequel, Noah 2: We're Jews, We Don't Like Ham.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If Noah doesn't end with a naked Russell Crowe laying out in his tent being drunk as poo poo, and condemning his kid into eternal slavery for covering up his old man balls with a blanket, I will be upset :(

It could be the perfect lead for a sequel, Noah 2: We're Jews, We Don't Like Ham.

I wonder if they'll leave in the rainbow :gay: at the end signifying god's covenant to never kill 99.999 percent of earth's population again (with water.)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

I feel like Ham is going to feel really upset that Noah is ignoring him while showing Shim and Japeth so much love.

Ham is one of the name's of Noah's sons

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

It's 21st century Hollywood. They're going to go through with the sequel, but it's not going to faithfully follow the source because (a) we can't have nice things, and (b) see "a".

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/the-terror-of-em-noah-em-how-darren-aronofsky-interprets-the-bible/359587/

The director is certainly aware of it, and I'm guessing this implies that that's how this movie is gonna end

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vicas posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/the-terror-of-em-noah-em-how-darren-aronofsky-interprets-the-bible/359587/

The director is certainly aware of it, and I'm guessing this implies that that's how this movie is gonna end

They'd better, as that's the whole point of the story - that there are no "good" people and "bad" people - we're all both at once, and separating the world into "them" and "us" is pointless.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Vicas posted:

Popularized by Dante and Milton and then kept up in perpetuity by thousands of Renaissance artists who then put angels into everything. Honestly, the majority of Western Christian iconography that we know today came out of the Renaissance

Renaissance art was commissioned by the rich and powerful of the time. The images of Christ, the angels, and other good biblical characters were modelled on the commissioner and their friends and family. The images of demons and tortured souls in hell were modelled after the commissioner's enemies.

"Durr, imma demon. Imma bad governor."

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

They'd better, as that's the whole point of the story - that there are no "good" people and "bad" people - we're all both at once, and separating the world into "them" and "us" is pointless.

Hitler was decent when you gave him a chance.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This is the slightest bit :nws: so I'll link it:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/80RBHow.jpg :nws:

(No nudity, no lingerie, just a woman in a...compromising? position.)

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

DrBouvenstein posted:

What is all the stuff in and around the sink?!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My first guess is shaving cream. "The Lady Boutique" in the mirror really sells the picture.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Hey remember the time my image was appropriated by a Chinese underpants company?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lost in translation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Lost in translation.

I don't know, I want this one for my lawn.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

Lost in translation.

Oddly enough, it seems that it makes even less sense in Chinese.

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio

yippeekiyaymf posted:

What is all the stuff in and around the sink?!

wet paper hand towels

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Who wore it best?

Vanilla Ice in "Cool as Ice" (1991)

Or

John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy (1418)

twoday has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Mar 29, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Found in the bitcoin thread:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Say Nothing posted:

Lost in translation.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I assume the "I like your smile, but unlike you put your shoes on my face" is supposed to say "I like your smile, but I won't like you if you step on my face."

I think it makes sense; it's a vaguely humorous and interesting way to say "keep off the grass", and maybe being different is enough to get people to not ignore it. I don't think "tiny grass is dreaming" and "the grass is smiling at you" are even mistranslated.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I had to guess I'd say a piss/poo poo accident while on a night out, what we are looking at is the cleanup operation.

Or she's pulled and wants to make sure the lucky fella she's taking home is going to get clean fresh pussy!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

I assume the "I like your smile, but unlike you put your shoes on my face" is supposed to say "I like your smile, but I won't like you if you step on my face."
I think it's pretty much that, basically "I like your smile, I dislike you stepping on my face". Verb conjugation is hard for Chinese speakers. Also interestingly that's 100% not even close to what the Chinese says ("[This] tiny grass is alive, please be compassionate").

quote:

I don't think "tiny grass is dreaming" and "the grass is smiling at you" are even mistranslated.
The "tiny grass is dreaming" one is weird, because even in Chinese it's all kinds of hosed. "The grass is smiling at you" could also be translated as "The grass is smiling at you, asking you to go around". But essentially yeah, they're both pretty neat and do their job - you're not going to forget or not notice them, after all.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

monkeytennis posted:

If I had to guess I'd say a piss/poo poo accident while on a night out, what we are looking at is the cleanup operation.

Or she's pulled and wants to make sure the lucky fella she's taking home is going to get clean fresh pussy!

My guess is that she's pulled, and just dashed off to the loo to shave because she didn't bother doing so before she headed out for the night. (I know girls who have done this.)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Are they doing they doing the examination or being examinated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

(It stands for "Please Do Not Walk On The Grass If You Are Going Across")

• Locked thread