Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Aniki posted:

They can certainly scheme to adapt to his strengths. My concern would be that all of this scrambling is likely to lead to him taking a lot of hits. He's already had some injury scares this season and if he gets hurt like RGIII did, then you worry if he can still be an effective player if that element of his game is taken away. I think that is where him being short by QB standards is a concern. Right now he now counters that by scrambling outside of the pocket and looking down field, but if he's forced to stay in the pocket, then will he be able to find passing lanes and can he make plays when the defense doesn't break down? It's hard to say, Manziel is someone I've been kind of choosing not to think about. I need to start looking into him more and seeing if my concerns are justified. I haven't really honed in on a QB that I think would be the best fit for the Vikings yet, but it's hard at this stage of the draft process, especially when we don't know who will be coaching the team next season.

Now imagine if Russell Wilson was coming out this year, and you were writing this about him. Not to counter it, but just for perspective's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

warheadr posted:

BFeldmanCBS: Ex nfl scout RT @JohnMiddlekauff: Multiple sources tell me Teddy Bridgewater has contemplated returning to school. No decision been made

Well that would sure change things. I doubt there's anything to it, of course.

Well this would make the #1 pick academic I suppose

I'm kind of imagining the Texans picking a Carr #1 overall for the second time though :suicide:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Hopefully you won't have to completely rework Carr 2.0's mechanics as soon as he gets into camp.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One of the fun things about David Carr was his dad coaching him to ignore what the Texans coaches were saying and listen to him instead

I'd sure love to have that poo poo again!

e: Maybe we should draft Carr and it could be Manning 2.0, with the older brother winning a Superbowl ring and the younger winning a pair! :v:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 13, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bhsman posted:

Now imagine if Russell Wilson was coming out this year, and you were writing this about him. Not to counter it, but just for perspective's sake.

It's good to have the ability to scramble and throw on the run, but you just worry whether some guys can be effective without it. You hope they stay healthy and it's a non-issue, but it is something you need to consider when evaluating QBs. I certainly remember Culpepper going from putting up huge numbers to be nothing after he got hurt. Yeah, there other factors and I think most people attributed his success to his receivers, but you worry about investing heavily in a young QB who has a skillset that could be taken away in a second. Maybe better rehab techniques that developed between Culpepper dicking around in a Healthsouth parking lot and now make this less of a risk, but it's still a factor.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

If we're making comparisons just on height, why not compare Manziel to Drew Brees? In the right light his acne could almost look like a facial scar, too.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Sometimes it feels like the main knock on JFF is "it's bad for a QB to get hurt and he might get hurt (because he's a tiny babby man)" and I can't figure out what games they've been watching, because the Aggies aren't playing Purdue every week.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Wanvig posted:

If we're making comparisons just on height, why not compare Manziel to Drew Brees? In the right light his acne could almost look like a facial scar, too.

Does Manziel have a horrible mother too?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Arschlochkind posted:

Sometimes it feels like the main knock on JFF is "it's bad for a QB to get hurt and he might get hurt (because he's a tiny babby man)" and I can't figure out what games they've been watching, because the Aggies aren't playing Purdue every week.

He's been injured a lot more this season than he was last year though which gives a little bit of credence to that notion. I don't believe Manziel is a #1 overall guy (unless he absolutely blows up the combine and gains like 20 pounds and about 3 inches of height), but he looks like a decent passer playing in a defense heavy conference.

Bridgewater not coming out this year seems like a bad move, especially if he's up against Jameis Winston in next years draft. There's no way he'd go over that guy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Aniki posted:

Does Manziel have a horrible mother too?

This made me look up Drew Brees' mom and well..

Deadspin posted:

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees has asked his mother to stop using his picture in TV commercials touting her candidacy for a Texas appeals court. In commercials running on Austin stations, Mina Brees had been using a picture of her son in the uniform of his former team, the San Diego Chargers, to emphasize her ties to football.

Mina Brees posted:

I'd rather air commercials that use Philip Rivers anyway

Woah, man.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Whoa, she also killed herself with a drug overdose

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wait wait...whooooaaaa....that is a huge burn on Drew.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the comment was before his extreme success in New Orleans. Also it came from his mother.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

b0ng posted:

he looks like a decent passer [with good mobility] playing in a defense heavy conference

Fixed a little, but that's basically how I see it. I like needling people about Manziel because I like him and I don't get why people are ready to jump off a cliff at the idea that they might draft him. Embrace Johnny Football.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

On the other side of the coin, you have people saying "You know who else was mobile and undersized? Russell Wilson :smug: " as if they're the same player

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Intruder posted:

On the other side of the coin, you have people saying "You know who else was mobile and undersized? Russell Wilson :smug: " as if they're the same player

The way Wilson plays now and the way Manziel plays now are actually similar

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The SEC didn't appear to be particularly defense-heavy this year to me. There were a few decent ones but man there were a lot of just terrible D's there.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Declan MacManus posted:

The way Wilson plays now and the way Manziel plays now are actually similar

Wilson has about 5 times the brain power though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grittybeard posted:

The SEC didn't appear to be particularly defense-heavy this year to me. There were a few decent ones but man there were a lot of just terrible D's there.

Of the games A&M lost though all of them were top 6 for SEC defense (and the other two they just didn't play) :

code:
SCORING DEFENSE          G   TD  XP 2XP DXP  FG Saf  Pts   Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Alabama............. 12   17  16   0   0   6   0  136  11.3
2. South Carolina...... 12   29  26   2   0  12   0  240  20.0
3. Florida............. 12   27  25   0   0  22   0  253  21.1
4. Missouri............ 13   35  32   1   0  16   0  292  22.5
5. LSU................. 12   30  29   0   0  21   0  272  22.7
6. Auburn.............. 13   37  34   1   0  18   0  312  24.0
7. Ole Miss............ 12   36  34   0   0  13   1  291  24.2
8. Mississippi State... 12   35  34   1   0  14   2  292  24.3
9. Vanderbilt.......... 12   37  34   2   0  12   0  296  24.7
10.Tennessee........... 12   46  45   0   0   9   0  348  29.0
11.Georgia............. 12   44  40   1   0  15   1  353  29.4
12.Arkansas............ 12   49  48   0   0   9   0  369  30.8
13.Texas A&M........... 12   49  45   1   0  10   0  371  30.9
14.Kentucky............ 12   49  46   1   1  10   0  374  31.2

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gendo posted:

I agree, but it's not like the Manziel-Wilson comparisons are completely off-base.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

b0ng posted:

People have been saying that poo poo about AJ for years and are still waiting for it to happen. Yes if you keep predicting it to happen every year you will eventually be right, but AJ was supposed to fall off after 2011 because he was injured and that poo poo sure didn't happen.

Yeah, but to be fair, no one expected to see a drop off from TO, Steve Smith, or Ocho Cinco when they occured though. The older he gets the liklihood of that happening increases. While you can't predict it, you can be sure of it and keeping AJ 80 as part of your long term plans as a franchise isn't a wise option from a cold stand point.

Also Wade Philips scheme might not exist in houston next year. Clowney and Watt is immediately the best duo in the NFL, or at the every least a close top two or three should they go that route. I don't think "not fitting the scheme" really comes into it. It's kind of like refusing a lamborghini because you don't like the paint job.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

BlindSite posted:

It's kind of like refusing a lamborghini because you don't like the paint job.

To be fair, would you drive this?

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Especially if all you need is an umbrella.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Yeah, but to be fair, no one expected to see a drop off from TO, Steve Smith, or Ocho Cinco when they occured though. The older he gets the liklihood of that happening increases. While you can't predict it, you can be sure of it and keeping AJ 80 as part of your long term plans as a franchise isn't a wise option from a cold stand point.

NO, ANDRE IS GOING TO OWN UNTIL HE'S 60 AND THEN HE'LL BE OUR WR COACH FOREVER. FOREVER. :cry:

On the real though he'll be here until he retires. If they pull some kind of "not part of our long term plans" with him once he starts to actually slow down and he ends up bouncing around the league and/or playing two years for the Jaguars before retiring or something the fans will burn down the team facility.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Zypher posted:

Yes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Arschlochkind posted:

NO, ANDRE IS GOING TO OWN UNTIL HE'S 60 AND THEN HE'LL BE OUR WR COACH FOREVER. FOREVER. :cry:

On the real though he'll be here until he retires. If they pull some kind of "not part of our long term plans" with him once he starts to actually slow down and he ends up bouncing around the league and/or playing two years for the Jaguars before retiring or something the fans will burn down the team facility.

C'mon. It's harder to name an all-time great WR who did retire with his first team than one who didn't.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Zypher posted:

gently caress yeah I would

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Benne posted:

gently caress yeah I would

Yeah that owns and is basically my dream car now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zypher posted:

In a goddamn millisecond

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

C'mon. It's harder to name an all-time great WR who did retire with his first team than one who didn't.

FOREVER.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DeimosRising posted:

Jerry Rice in a Seahawks jersey is still the weirdest thing I have ever seen in football

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

Jerry Rice in a Seahawks jersey is still the weirdest thing I have ever seen in football

Not even the weirdest Jerry Rice jersey

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Elotana posted:

Because he's a risk, but his ceiling his higher than any other QB in the draft including Bridgewater. If we're taking Clowney then BQA in the 2nd I would rather that BQA be Manziel than Boyd/Mett/Fales or whoever

For me it's that I just really don't know that much about Bridgewater except for one game I watched where he was middling quality.

It seems like once the media declares you're a first round qb you'll stay there. He was called that at the beginning of the season and I don't wanna qb picked first just because of pre-season inertia.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

SteelAngel2000 posted:

So gross

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

Yeah it's kind of like every small receiver getting compared to Moss and Smith and every small running back getting compared to Sproles.

There's a reason these guys aren't the norm at the position.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Possibly the weirdest thing here is that Jerry Rice has a farmer's tan?

PrinceRandom posted:

For me it's that I just really don't know that much about Bridgewater except for one game I watched where he was middling quality.

It seems like once the media declares you're a first round qb you'll stay there. He was called that at the beginning of the season and I don't wanna qb picked first just because of pre-season inertia.

It's not that rare. Clausen dropped out of the first, just off the top of my head. I think it's less an issue of inertia and more one of the constant shortage of QBs. There are so few, it's hard for their value to drop a lot unless they lose an arm or something.

BlindSite posted:

Yeah it's kind of like every small receiver getting compared to Moss and Smith and every small running back getting compared to Sproles.

There's a reason these guys aren't the norm at the position.

Why would a small receiver be compared to Randy Moss? edit: nevermind I'm sure you meant Santana Moss, I just sort of forgot he existed.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 14, 2013

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Intruder posted:

Well Watt wouldn't be a DE in a 4-3 and Clowney wouldn't be a DE in a 3-4. What I'm really looking at is Clowney and Watt on the same side of the line daring teams to block either of them 1 on 1

But yeah only if we're not going into the season with Keenum as the only hope at QB

Pages back, but I was thinking about this the other day: if the Texans do hire Lovie, Watt is totally a three-technique DT in his scheme. Watt's what? 6'5" 290? Tommie Harris was 6'4" 295, Henry Melton is 6'3" 295, etc. And the number one quality that the three-tech needs in Lovie's defense is just being disruptive. Like, they just have to be able to collapse the interior of the pocket, which Watt can definitely do.

Plus, Lovie sometimes likes to put his best all-around defensive end at DLE, the way he did with Wale Ogunleye. That would put Clowney and Watt on the same side of the d-line, where the right tackle can't help out with Watt because he's the guy on Clowney. Then Watt is singled up on the right guard, which is awesome. Then you put Whitney Mercilus at DRE in a Mark Anderson type role, where he just rushes outside real fast and cleans up when the QB gets flushed out the back of the pocket. A line of Mercilus-Somebody-Watt-Clowney in a Tampa 2 defense would be terrifying.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

defiantgiant posted:

Pages back, but I was thinking about this the other day: if the Texans do hire Lovie, Watt is totally a three-technique DT in his scheme. Watt's what? 6'5" 290? Tommie Harris was 6'4" 295, Henry Melton is 6'3" 295, etc. And the number one quality that the three-tech needs in Lovie's defense is just being disruptive. Like, they just have to be able to collapse the interior of the pocket, which Watt can definitely do.

Plus, Lovie sometimes likes to put his best all-around defensive end at DLE, the way he did with Wale Ogunleye. That would put Clowney and Watt on the same side of the d-line, where the right tackle can't help out with Watt because he's the guy on Clowney. Then Watt is singled up on the right guard, which is awesome. Then you put Whitney Mercilus at DRE in a Mark Anderson type role, where he just rushes outside real fast and cleans up when the QB gets flushed out the back of the pocket. A line of Mercilus-Somebody-Watt-Clowney in a Tampa 2 defense would be terrifying.

This is the main reason why I hope Detroit doesn't go after Lovie. Imagine Suh and Ansah stomping on a human face, forever

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Ansah's too nice to stomp on people :mad:. Suh could certainly double the dirtiness and remain as effective as he is now.

Maybe the Bears will let Cutler go to spare him the fate that awaits McCown, Rodgers and Ponder Manziel next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Gendo posted:

Yeah, but if Johnny Football got drafted by Seattle, he'd lay so much pipe between Texas and Washington they wouldn't even need the Keystone XL

• Locked thread