Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Wolves hunt in pack.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Still waiting for a Souls game where the boss battles are really punishing like Monster Hunter.

That and full destructible environments to add to the danger/fighting enemies.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Still waiting for a Souls game where the boss battles are really punishing like Monster Hunter.

That and full destructible environments to add to the danger/fighting enemies.

I like hunting games but I would rather the souls bosses not take 30 minutes to beat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Punishing how? Because there are several bosses in the series that can one-shot you if you make a mistake. So if that's not what you mean by punishing, I'm curious. I have never played Monster Hunter.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lotish posted:

Punishing how? Because there are several bosses in the series that can one-shot you if you make a mistake. So if that's not what you mean by punishing, I'm curious. I have never played Monster Hunter.

Punishing as in every boss will loving kill you into next week of Sunday and each battle is around 15 minutes of glorious precision. One false move and every monster has a one hit kill. Most monsters have like 2-3 OHK moves.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Lotish posted:

MH bosses are punishing the way punching yourself in the dick for 15 minutes so that you can construct stronger dick-punching gloves from your shattered scrote is punishing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Agnostalgia posted:

MH bosses are punishing the way punching yourself in the dick for 15 minutes so that you can construct stronger dick-punching gloves from your shattered scrote is punishing.

The last boss also changes elements every 15 seconds and there's also no ideal armor set up to resist his attacks. So mitigating damage by armor is nigh useless.

It's amazing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

It's a leak of promo footage. Everyone fakes their promo footage.

It might be like that leak of The Last Guardian, which was a proof of concept video that ended up looking even better when it was showed off at E3.

Hopefully it won't be too much like The Last Guardian, or we won't be getting it until the PS5.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

suddenlyissoon posted:

I still think the Xbox leak a few years back was real and I think (hope) that Fortaleza is going to make a huge appearance at E3. A glass-like HUD I think would be awesome for games.

Of course, there have been little to no rumors of it and I haven't really heard much chatter lately. But I think it would explain why Xbox has been open to sharing so much news early that they would normally hold for the conference.

The leak almost certainly was real, it had "Input One" before the bone's name announcement and people have dug up patents for it which included the name. The only question is whether Fortaleza got derailed, killed etc. in the meantime. We never got that haptic controller, afterall.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yechezkel posted:

Century City is the same place where PlayStation is doing the theater viewing of their E3 conference. Neither of them are doing things at the same time there, which would have been pretty funny if that happened.

I'm the only one here going to the PS theater viewing, aren't I?

I imagine you don't get a +1 right? All sold out

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I've read The Forever War half a dozen times and I don't remember a gunpowder ban. Are you talking about the section where the enemy neutralized their regular weapons?

Yeah, more trying to say the idea of 'our modern weapons are useless/disabled/unworkable swords and armor for everyone!' isn't new. Forever War just did it infinitely better then Thesda.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, we know Konami will do something at E3:

quote:

June 10th. E3. Snake Returns. pic.twitter.com/QmLBDRnXxS

IGN has a bunch of live events. Click on View Schedule and look at all of the "E3 Secret Games". :iiam:
They will also stream all of the conferences. That is another alternative if the usual stream sites take a dump.

Rinkles posted:

At least you're probably getting a free year of ps+ or something similar.
I would be very surprised if it didn't include beta access for Destiny.
They said it is a "a commemorative PlayStation collectible and a surprise gift". So, at least 2 free things.

Alan Smithee posted:

I imagine you don't get a +1 right? All sold out
I swore I read that somewhere, but I think it's too late for that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah when we get close to E3 week I'm gonna revise the OP with links to streams at the top so people don't have to wade through all my bad humor. There's:

- Gametrailers/SpikeTV who may only be doing the first day? They will show Microsoft and EA's press conferences and have stage demos, and Jack Tretton will be co-host.

- IGN and Gamespot will cover the entire convention, and have stage demos as well as floor reports.

- Twitch has an official partnership with E3, so I assume they will have every press conference, and possibly have stage demos? They have a booth in the convention center just like Gamespot and IGN. Also, Xbox will have some sort of "post-game" Twitch of their own after their briefing.

- Nintendo is streaming from the show floor for the entire convention. Limited, of course, to their games. There may be skits and Iwata Ask segments if it's anything like their all-day E3 stream from 2011. If Nintendo only has like 5 games to show then this will probably be boring?? For their sake they'd better have as much of their portfolio at E3 this year as Sony will.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 31, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRn1i0Bp5L4

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Every fantasy game needs the greet the player with butt-rock on the start screen.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Butt Ghost posted:

Every fantasy game needs the greet the player with butt-rock on the start screen.

Some of them already do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxd73pbuwg&t=66s:hellyeah:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Feh. Unless David Hayter returns, I'll continue to be blase about this poo poo.

And unless Konami says something about an IGA Castlevania, I'm pretty much writing them off at this point.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Butt Ghost posted:

I can only assume that with a name like Butt Ghost, you're saying this sincerely.

I'm sincere about it too. Love me some butt rock.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Grimace posted:

And unless Konami says something about an IGA Castlevania, I'm pretty much writing them off at this point.

David Hayter?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

David Hayter?

(ring ring) David Hayter!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Bongo Bill posted:

David Hayter?

He's pretty cool guy.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

A pretty cool guy?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Huh

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Quest For Glory II posted:

- Gametrailers/SpikeTV who may only be doing the first day? They will show Microsoft and EA's press conferences and have stage demos, and Jack Tretton will be co-host.

I sincerely hope Tretton reveals his lifetime Sony allegiance by making fart noises throughout the MS presser, to the point that Spike has to cut his mike less than a minute in.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yechezkel posted:

I'm the only one here going to the PS theater viewing, aren't I?

I considered it until I realized I'm working when it's on. And who else would be there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I might have to go to the raffle thing because I'm a sad person who needs to beg Major Nelson for an E3 badge

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

I was honestly pretty irritated when this song got replaced with that generic chanting music that's in every fantasy game.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

:krad: :krad:

I know that Capcom is going to publish Deep Down in Japan as a free to play game, but I'd really love if Capcom announces a Dragon's Dogma sequel for the 8th Gen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

Punishing as in every boss will loving kill you into next week of Sunday and each battle is around 15 minutes of glorious precision. One false move and every monster has a one hit kill. Most monsters have like 2-3 OHK moves.

The Taint Reaper posted:

The last boss also changes elements every 15 seconds and there's also no ideal armor set up to resist his attacks. So mitigating damage by armor is nigh useless.

It's amazing.

So what you're telling me is that the Monster Hunter games are the product of someone taking a look at I Wanna Be The Guy and going "This, but unironically"?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

Hopefully it won't be too much like The Last Guardian, or we won't be getting it until the PS5.

What an optimist you are. :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

What an optimist you are. :allears:

I'm still a believer. Now I'm going to play ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for the umpteenth time.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Unfortunately the above is the faster version that sounds like poo poo.

The proper version is much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

So what you're telling me is that the Monster Hunter games are the product of someone taking a look at I Wanna Be The Guy and going "This, but unironically"?

This is a bit of exaggeration. Yes, you can die in 2 hits to harder monsters (1 shots are usually pretty telegraphed), but considering you can stock up with dozens of healing items before a fight, 2 hits is pretty lenient if you're smart about healing after you get hit. The game teaches you not to panic after you're 1 hit away from death and wait for the best time to heal (using a heal item leaves you vulnerable and rooted for around 3 seconds while you use it.)

Also the mentioned last boss here is unlocked after something around 50 hours or more of gameplay, and is intended to be fought by 4 people. If you try it solo, the difficulty is not scaled down much, but of course people will do it.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 31, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Possible E3 appearance: http://www.scribd.com/doc/227321489/Prey-2-Document-2

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

No way

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

That seems like some game design fanfic. The bit where there is literally no art produced by a studio that has a fully staffed team of artists including concept artists whose entire job is to draw concepts for what games could be is really, really suspect.

Also "we're totally going to make a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and have conveniently not elaborated on anything that isn't "we'll flavor SS2 to be Prey" is loving hilarious. Treating the new IP as an understood given but explaining in detail an older IP is not how you pitch a new IP.

And yes, I'm aware that there is a previous Prey game, but the last Prey2 relaunch, plus this, would both be functional reboots of the IP and thus they'd probably say one or two words about them.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That's 15 minutes work with no creative input at all. If anyone tried to present that anywhere, meeting, pitch the idea to a coworker or whatever they would be laughed out of the room. Its fake.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That Prey 2 stuff is a distillation of the rumors flying around when Bethesda gave development of the game to Arkane (of Dishonored fame) after the Human Head fiasco. Maybe it's a really early mission statement but most likely it's fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Grimace posted:

Metroidvania is dead. And after how poo poo lords of shadows 2 was, I wouldn't be surprised if Castlevania was gone for a while.

• Locked thread