Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Northjayhawk posted:

We're.... going to play the ALCS probably against the Orioles? Holy poo poo!

KC of all teams shouldn't be comfortable with a 2 game lead in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, hadn't seen Salvy get hit in the head with the bat.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
with machado not playing, are there any players on the orioles or royals worth caring about?

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

with machado not playing, are there any players on the orioles or royals worth caring about?
Terrance Gore

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

RRAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLL

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Lorenzo Cain is a pretty cool dude.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just a PSA, never eat at a KC Masterpiece if you make a visit here. It is garbage.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

vegaji posted:

Well he's the Royals' best starter, though maybe Duffy is better if we're being honest. Soaks up lots of innings (I think he led the AL in innings pitched last year), though he's not some crazy good ace.

Ya, honestly Duffy, Shields, and the good Ventura are all similar in merit I think. And honestly, that's a pretty good position to be in. I mean having 2.5 not great, but real good starters is perfectly fine.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Nelly Cruz owns.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Delmon Young

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Wiltsghost posted:

Just a PSA, never eat at a KC Masterpiece if you make a visit here. It is garbage.

I've heard enough about oklahoma joe's that's the first place I'm heading if I'm ever in town

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Akbar posted:

I wonder if you'd call this a KC Masterpiece

Well they certainly barbecued the Angels. Eric Hosmer really smoked that ball. And they fought to the burnt end.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Is that Cain in fknlo's avatar? That guy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Grittybeard posted:

KC of all teams shouldn't be comfortable with a 2 game lead in the playoffs.

Yeah, counting chickens, etc.

Akbar posted:

I've heard enough about oklahoma joe's that's the first place I'm heading if I'm ever in town

Jack Stack and Arthur Bryant's are also places to head long before KC Masterpiece

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Alex Gordon.
He doesn't deserve them, but he will get some MVP votes this year. He's been quietly good for years now.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, counting chickens, etc.

Jack Stack and Arthur Bryant's are also places to head long before KC Masterpiece

why would start anywhere but Arthur Bryant's?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--awesome BBQ from a gas station is something everyone should experience in their life, but yeah you won't go wrong either way

alpha_destroy posted:

Alex Gordon.
He doesn't deserve them, but he will get some MVP votes this year. He's been quietly good for years now.

Alternately Billy Butler for slow man hilarity.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I was in Kansas City for the first time this summer. We ate at Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack. They were both awesome. Didn't have time to make it to Bryant's. :(

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Lived in KC for twenty five years. Never went to KC Masterpiece.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Alternately Billy Butler for slow man hilarity.

You know I love Billy. We've said it before, the most joy you can get out of watching the Royals is watching that fatty run out doubles. But that's advanced Royals viewing. I think anyone unfamiliar with the team would just wonder why the Royals allow a hotdog vender to DH.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

vegaji posted:

Terrance Gore

Abel Wingnut posted:

RRAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLL

Super Jay Mann posted:

Lorenzo Cain is a pretty cool dude.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Nelly Cruz owns.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is that Cain in fknlo's avatar? That guy.

alpha_destroy posted:

Alex Gordon.
looked up those guys, they all kinda suck, any serious answers?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
How loving awesome is Finnegan? 16 teams decided not to draft him in June.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Uhhh... I'm assuming no, because two of those answers are literally the Royals best position players. Maybe lower your standards ya nut.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Wait you're looking for scary hitters on the Royals? I mean, that's just not how they work.

e: Dyson's in fknlo's av whoever asked.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

i don't think you 'get' the royals

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
The Royals are good at intangibles.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I thought your benchmark was Machado.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

How loving awesome is Finnegan? 16 teams decided not to draft him in June.

He's the one that, if the Royals go all the way, will pitch in the College World Series and professional World Series in the same calendar year, right?

There's the neutral observer's excuse to hope on the Royal bandwagon.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

Uhhh... I'm assuming no, because two of those answers are literally the Royals best position players. Maybe lower your standards ya nut.
standard would be something like a future hall of famer.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Speaking as a Royals fan, this team is pretty damned weird.

Our offense is dead last in HR, dead last in Walks, but best in the league in avoiding strikeouts. They put the ball into play and depend on the other team eventually booting balls. We also have crazy-fast base runners who warp the conventional wisdom about playing small-ball, and the outfield defense is terrific. The Royals also have an amazingly good bullpen.

Somehow, Dayton Moore has constructed a team that can win despite having a pretty bad offense, and a starting pitching staff that is merely "pretty good". On paper they should be a .500 team, but they are built to maximize those nutty high-variance plays to get the last few wins needed to make the playoffs.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

You really don't get the Royals.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ambassador of Funk posted:

You really don't get the Royals.
i wish them well.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I'm really confused here. Are you saying Machado is worth caring about because he is a future hall of famer?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DeltaAttack2go posted:

I'm really confused here. Are you saying Machado is worth caring about because he is a future hall of famer?
just watch.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

What's the URL to this guy's blog again? All I can remember is "World War Z" and Google isn't being helpful.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--redibirdmenace or something like that

DeltaAttack2go posted:

Wait, Machado's big deal is hitting a ton of doubles in some year that isn't this one?

Billy loving Butler.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

toe knee hand posted:

What's the URL to this guy's blog again? All I can remember is "World War Z" and Google isn't being helpful.

redbirdmenace.com

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

haha. Third basemen don't get into the hall of fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Now I'm thinking of all the Royals I have loved because they sucked. And you know who I miss? Ken Motherfucking Harvey. I still remember the first game I saw him play. I'm pretty sure it was opening day and he smoked two doubles. I mean smoked em. More importantly he smoked one down each line. And I went, "o man, this guy, this guy will be one of the greats."

And he wasn't. He wasn't even one of the goods. I think some poster saw him a year or two ago still playing Independent ball, and he still can't hit a lick. But damnit, he was memorable. He swung like an angry 9 year old and played defense like a pig on ice and it was wonderful.

I loving love the Royals.

• Locked thread