Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
I'm sad that some people are being shitlords in this thread instead of discussing the joy of robotting.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BigwigML posted:

I'm sad that some people are being shitlords in this thread instead of discussing the joy of robotting.

It's not 2012/early 2013, how are we supposed to talk about robutting being joyful?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

BigwigML posted:

Yes we should totally be talking about what kind of Mechpack to buy.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Is there any good heavy metal fits anymore or did ghost heat ruin it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Coolwhoami posted:

It's more that being a highlander ruined it. It's one gimmick (jump assault!) is done better by the victor and its hitboxes are pretty bad. Now that poptarting is much worse on the risk/reward scale they're just slower, fatter victors.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Which is sort of funny because when the victor first appeared a lot of people were :geno: about it.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Which is sort of funny because when the victor first appeared a lot of people were :geno: about it.

The vic used to be my favorite mech and I still own two of them in hopes the can be the anti-twolves they deserve to be

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

sebmojo posted:

Not really. The Ilya Muromets is ok but not spectacular. I've heard people say good things about the Huginn, I think?

e: vv

ee: it feels strange and eerie that goons are cheerfully recommending spending money on mwo like i took a right turn through an alley and now i'm in narnia or w/e

No, I was specifically asking how to spend MC I got from a Founders pack two years ago that I wasn't able to return.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

No, I was specifically asking how to spend MC I got from a Founders pack two years ago that I wasn't able to return.

I would look into some of the mastery packs depending what chassis they offer and what you like to play as they seem to be the best deals.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Seconding this, the mastery packs are the best way to spend MCs you got sitting around; they will get you two money-grinding mechs (a hero and a champion) and an additional third chassis. They also come with a month of premium. This way you're set up to fully spec out the skill tree of whatever mech you want to drive and got some good c-bill income on top.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Coolwhoami posted:

The saddest thing about the Heavy Metal is I keep coming back to a Gauss, LRM 30 & 3 ML fit because its the only build I can get any mileage from. You can't turn it into an 80t dad, it's too goddam slow, the jumpjets don't help all that much, it doesn't have a lot of options hard point wise - the only thing going for it is the butt rock.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You've all done it. Now I don't even want to post in this thread. Awww gently caress I'm doing it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Supraluminal posted:

With the caveat that I haven't even tried CW yet: It seems like, if your objective is to disincentivize light rushes, you shouldn't decrease the strength of the main gun and set up dispersed, relatively fragile targets to destroy. Isn't that pretty much what light Mechs are good at?

If you want people to actually duke it out, you probably need some kind of king-of-the-hill take and hold objective, at least somewhere in the chain of goals.

Some conquest style control points instead of the mini generators would work nicely. Slows the push and gives both sides time and a reason to shoot robots instead of generators.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Some conquest style control points instead of the mini generators would work nicely. Slows the push and gives both sides time and a reason to shoot robots instead of generators.

Or even contestable conquest style points on both sides of the gates to allow the defenders to close them again.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Fil5000 posted:

Or even contestable conquest style points on both sides of the gates to allow the defenders to close them again.

Closing the gates with a push halfway through would be pretty hilarious.

What are people's opinions on IS mediums? I'm considering picking up hunchbacks since my only mediums right now are stormcrows, and while I love broke-rear end clan mechs, I can't play crows in CW. Are the Kintaro or Blackjack viable options too or should I just mash the buy button for a hunchie?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Feindfeuer posted:

Seconding this, the mastery packs are the best way to spend MCs you got sitting around; they will get you two money-grinding mechs (a hero and a champion) and an additional third chassis. They also come with a month of premium. This way you're set up to fully spec out the skill tree of whatever mech you want to drive and got some good c-bill income on top.
Champions are +XP only. Hero mechs are +cbills only. So you only get 1 cbill mech per pack.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kaninrail posted:

Closing the gates with a push halfway through would be pretty hilarious.

What are people's opinions on IS mediums? I'm considering picking up hunchbacks since my only mediums right now are stormcrows, and while I love broke-rear end clan mechs, I can't play crows in CW. Are the Kintaro or Blackjack viable options too or should I just mash the buy button for a hunchie?

Hunchbacks are a blast to play, particularly if you like the AC/20. Once you get accurate with the cannon, you can have a lot of fun. From blowing the legs off of ballsy Jenners, to knife fighting with anything short of an assault, the 4G can do some work.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
The 4G is a classic. Running around behind the main push shooting Ac20s at people is one of my favorite things.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I'm giving this another go after barely touching it a year or so ago, and goddamn the Locust with an XL 190 engine and 5 pulse lasers is a good time. I'm struggling to see a reason not to cram my mech bays with a bunch of locust variants so I can get the elite upgrades or whatever.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you're going to run something you might as well try to elite it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

MadWOPR posted:

The 4G is a classic. Running around behind the main push shooting Ac20s at people is one of my favorite things.
I'm doing this with Grid Iron instead, although 4G does have range/velocity bonus which can be handy. Lights and mediums run from you (or try to circle and die), and even heavies back off. Only problem is ammo runs out pretty fast :(

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I was dinking around with my Misery loadout because I wasn't too happy with the 3 ERLL and 2 ERPPC build's performance. So I made this which I am dubbing the "Misery Wubs Company":

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=75&l=92b8cfc0b5dd10cb1f3eac147a8010101e786da2
4 MPL
1 LPL (the center torso slot)
1 AC20 +3 tons ammo
300 STD
17 d heatsinks

Might want another ton or two of AC20 ammo, but I can downgrade the MPL to ML as needed. Or when I start regularly living that long. Thoughts?

Aesis posted:

I'm doing this with Grid Iron instead, although 4G does have range/velocity bonus which can be handy. Lights and mediums run from you (or try to circle and die), and even heavies back off. Only problem is ammo runs out pretty fast :(
Just use the gauss in the Grid Iron. You get +50% firing speed (or 2/3 the cooldown). There's not a good reason to use the AC20 in it unless you just absolutely loathe guass rifles.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 24, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Supraluminal posted:

Yeah. I had hopes that the SA MWO thread/crowd would be chill and fun this time around, but... I guess not. After the way things went in the beta days it was probably foolish to expect anything different.

I think I must have more fun as a terrible solo pubbie than any of the actual good players in this thread.

Well it was going swell for a couple of pages then it seems like it went back to the days of old.

I'll be hanging out in Mumble looking for some help spending my 20k MC on some decent mechs for CW play. If anyone would be kind enough to give me some guidance, I'm still terrible at robots but w/e.

Wafflecopper posted:

Have you tried changing your texture detail to medium or lower?

Hey Waffle this seems to have worked. I only played a handful of matches last night but enough time with the client running that I would expect a crash.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 24, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

A hero Mech that you'll enjoy playing to help grind Cbills is always really handy.

Kylra posted:

I was dinking around with my Misery loadout because I wasn't too happy with the 3 ERLL and 2 ERPPC build's performance. So I made this which I am dubbing the "Misery Wubs Company":

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=75&l=92b8cfc0b5dd10cb1f3eac147a8010101e786da2
4 MPL
1 LPL (the center torso slot)
1 AC20 +3 tons ammo
300 STD
17 d heatsinks

Might want another ton or two of AC20 ammo, but I can downgrade the MPL to ML as needed. Or when I start regularly living that long. Thoughts?

I've seen a very similar build in action and it's terrifying. You'll probably need that extra ton of ac20 ammo but otherwise pretty solid.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 24, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

demonR6 posted:

Well it was going swell for a couple of pages then it seems like it went back to the days of old.

I'll be hanging out in Mumble looking for some help spending my 20k MC on some decent mechs for CW play. If anyone would be kind enough to give me some guidance, I'm still terrible at robots but w/e.

Hey Waffle this seems to have worked. I only played a handful of matches last night but enough time with the client running that I would expect a crash.

Is there a thunderbolt mastery pack? If so you should get that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

There is no thunderbolt hero yet so no.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Not yet, but when there is one I probably will unironically get one. Those things are loving amazing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Thronde posted:

Not yet, but when there is one I probably will unironically get one. Those things are loving amazing.
If the hero is no good then there's not really a point.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Well poo poo. Probably the dragon pack maybe? gently caress, it's got the wrong dragon hasn't it?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

demonR6 posted:

...looking for some help spending my 20k MC on some decent mechs for CW play. If anyone would be kind enough to give me some guidance, I'm still terrible at robots but w/e.

As previously mentioned, a mastery pack for a chassis you like or hero mechs is probably the best way to spend MC, unless you have mechs you already enjoy, and if that's the case then just get premium time I guess.

I have a few hero mechs and tend to play them more than my other mechs to offset the grind, especially in public, regular drops. Probably the heros that I've seen most often for CW are the Misery (stalker), Ilya (cataphract), Grid Iron (hunchback) or the Ember (firestarter). All of these chassis are pretty decent, and perhaps more importantly, fun to play. I don't have the misery, but I regularly use 2 stalkers in my drop dec, and stalkers are probably the best IS assault for CW. Firestarters are almost all evil in some way or another, if you like lights. The cataphracts have seen better days, and are somewhat outlcassed by thunderbolts in the current meta, but are still fun robots you can do a lot of different things with. I don't really IS medium (aside from a bad defense LRM kintaro or hobo with a shotgun cent), but it looks like others have opinions regarding such mechs.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Well poo poo. Probably the dragon pack maybe? gently caress, it's got the wrong dragon hasn't it?
Dragon pack comes with Flame. The one with 2E in each arm, a ballistic in the left torso, and the general ballistic quirks.

From theorycrafting I think that's probably the good one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Here's a map style that might work for CW: Capture the HPG (king of the hill match).

You've got an HPG in the center of the match, and each side has a (idk, 5 minute?) countdown. The hpg has a slow capture rate, and a single hostile mech blocks capture. Winner is whomever runs out their timer, or kills all 48 of the other team's mechs. Winning represents holding the HPG long enough to send a message out. Seems easy enough, no?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Its got Flame, the 1C, and the 5N champion. You could sell the 1C and get the 1N, I guess. Flames just a better 1C/fatter hunchback and the 5N is tolerable for grinding.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Marathanes posted:

As previously mentioned, a mastery pack for a chassis you like or hero mechs is probably the best way to spend MC, unless you have mechs you already enjoy, and if that's the case then just get premium time I guess.
Unless you want the XP a hero mech is a better buy since the hero mech works forever, especially on the lighter end. Which means the bundle is probably going to be the best buy. Premium and 3 mechbays alone is 3400mc, which is often over half of the pack's price. Plus you get some grinding mechs/extra cbills from resale.

Kylra posted:

Dragon pack comes with Flame. The one with 2E in each arm, a ballistic in the left torso, and the general ballistic quirks.

Looking a bit closer it's probably Fang that's better. I am not well versed in Dragons though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 24, 2014

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I never noticed those mastery packs before. The Firestarter pack is tempting since I still only have one Jenner, one Raven, and three Locusts in my light tab.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, the mastery packs are great deals and give you everything you need to elite the chassis, which is nice.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

gwarm01 posted:

I never noticed those mastery packs before. The Firestarter pack is tempting since I still only have one Jenner, one Raven, and three Locusts in my light tab.

I'm enjoying the firestarter pack, especially since I had a grand total of 1 light before I bought it out of 20 odd mechs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kylra posted:

Looking a bit closer it's probably Fang that's better. I am not well versed in Dragons though.

Fang is poo poo. Do not get Fang. Its better post-quirks but its still not good because AC10s are big heavy wastes of space. Flames shoulder ballistic lets you peek over hills and not lose your main gun arm to a single alpha.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kylra posted:

It's the 1N I was meaning which isn't in there. That's the one with the ridiculous AC quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Fang is poo poo. Do not get Fang. Its better post-quirks but its still not good because AC10s are big heavy wastes of space. Flames shoulder ballistic lets you peek over hills and not lose your main gun arm to a single alpha.
Just as planned.

• Locked thread