Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

hard counter posted:

It's insane that certain machines can fall to chaos imho, chaos marines straight up have a better drop pod variant because its machine spirit loves itself some daemon-worship and kept killing the loyalists who used them. That a machine can somehow get itself shacked up with a chaos patron is insane.

There was at least one AI (specifically the AI of the very first Titan) that straight up made a deal with one of the chaos gods, gaining the ability to shoot daemons out of its guns. Not shoot at daemons, shoot actual daemons as projectiles.

Oddly despite dealing with Chaos the AI showed no actual signs of Chaos corruption; it still wanted to serve the Emperor and was still on the side of the Imperium. Sadly the Grey Knights who found the Titan convinced it that it had in fact become a demon itself and it committed suicide rather than continue to live as an abomination against the Emperor.

Amusingly it's hinted at and implied during the story that the AI may actually have been smart enough to come up with a way to hold the powers of Chaos to the deal it made, but the Grey Knights happened so we'll never know and all the incredible tech that went into its construction is now lost forever. (The Titan was human shaped, larger than an Imperator and used incredibly advanced synthetic muscles that allowed it to jump and kneel and matrix dodge shells fired at it, as well as a nanite based self-repair system that gave it the kind of resilience and regenerative ability normally reserved for Necrons.)

At the height of its power, Imperial science was serious business. The Imperium never quite reached the Necron's level of technological prowess but they got close enough in a few fields to be able to see the Necrons from where they were standing right before everything went completely to poo poo.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As if you needed more reasons to loving hate the Grey Knights. Team killing fucktards that they are. (It is common practice that if the Grey Knights even suspect normal Imperial forces notice their actions, they kill everyone on the planet.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

At the height of its power, Imperial science was serious business. The Imperium never quite reached the Necron's level of technological prowess but they got close enough in a few fields to be able to see the Necrons from where they were standing right before everything went completely to poo poo.

Important clarification: that is not the Imperium. The Imperium of Man was founded during the Great Crusade by the Emperor, but nothing has ever been stated about what human government was like during the Dark Age of Technology when that Titan was made.

In the book of Fire Warrior, Kais notes that the Leman Russ tank looks like an outdated piece of garbage and Tau forces, including himself, almost always deride the things and believe they can't possibly be a threat to modern Tau armor. He says that impression for him lasted right up until he saw a Russ destroy a Hammerhead in one shot from beyond rail gun range while both tanks were moving at top speed.

Imperial technology may not even be a shadow of humanity's past, but do not mistake their primitive looks, ritualistic understanding of technology, or immense fall from their technological height for Imperial technology being ineffective. By and large, the Adeptus Mechanicus knows drat well what they're doing (even if they don't know that they know what they're doing) and produces most of the galaxy's most terrifying weapons of war.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Was it the Land Raider or the Russ that was redesigned from a tractor or other farming implement?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah while current Imperial technology looks crude and is often operating at less than optimal effectiveness due to issues with AI or lack thereof, it still gets the job done. The fact that the Adeptus Mechanicus are probably communing with the Void Dragon who appears to still be helping the Imperium, for some reason, probably helps a lot too.

Why exactly the Void Dragon is still helping out despite the Emperor no longer being around to beat him up and imprison him on Mars is a very good question, possibly whatever shackles the Emperor put on the Void Dragon are still holding or possibly the Void Dragon has its own reasons, it was always the most stable and least hostile of the C'tan. (Assuming of course that the Omnissiah is the Void Dragon, which is heavily hinted at but not outright confirmed.)

Eimi posted:

Was it the Land Raider or the Russ that was redesigned from a tractor or other farming implement?

Land Raiders are an STC template (also one of the few pieces of tech confirmed to have a legit AI in it, though of course the Adeptus Mechanicus claim it is a machine spirit :v:), I don't think the Leman Russ was a redesigned tractor either though that does sound familiar. I think one of the other Imperial Guard vehicles was a redesigned piece of farming equipment with guns taped onto it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 9, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Leman Russes can do all that while running on wood. They're powered by some kind of incredibly efficient heat engine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh we're talking about the height of humanities technology? Then lets talk about the Ark Mechanicus

quote:

In this novel written by Graham McNeill, it is revealed that the Ark Mechanicus Speranza, an incredibly old and massive ship used by the Adeptus Mechanicus to explore new stellar territories, has some of the most advanced technological achievements of mankind encoded in its very structure. This revelation, unfortunately, was only discovered during a brief moment when one of the main protagonists of the novel, Archmagos Lexell Kotov, made some sort of spiritual connection with the Machine Spirit of the Speranza(alignment: True Neutral) in order to save the day, and he forgot what he had seen immediately after.

Which may suck, yes, but this was compensated by the fact that upon the Archmagos linking with the ship, the Speranza's AI went godmode, deploying all kind of unimaginably super-high-tech targeting systems that NOBODY knew it had, systems that were capable of functioning with 100% precision in the middle of a space-time gravitational storm, and detected and fatally damaged an Eldar cruiser in ONE loving SHOT using a dorsal mounted BLACK HOLE CANNON so unbelievably advanced even the Necrons would have been scratching their heads trying to understand how it worked, although the narration tells us it involves antimatter, gravitons, and dark matter.

What makes it even better is that the Eldar ship was guided by a Farseer, and thus managed to actually DODGE the weapon's blast, which was explicitly stated to be moving at the speed of light. The Speranza wasn't having any of it, and instead of missing like some plebian battleship with its macro-cannons and lances, used chrono-weaponry to shift the Eldar ship a nanosecond into the past to make the shot connect. IT loving TELEPORTED AN ENEMY SHIP THROUGH TIME SO IT WOULDN'T HAVE TO TURN AND FIRE AGAIN.

Also neither the Russ nor the Land Raider are the tractor, but their is a tractor based tank.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

Oh we're talking about the height of humanities technology? Then lets talk about the Ark Mechanicus

Also neither the Russ nor the Land Raider are the tractor, but their is a tractor based tank.

I think it's not just the Ark Mechanicus with those abilities, ANY battlecruiser's machine spirit is that capable (I mean not all have the time traveling guns but) if they get woken up, any enemies facing that ship are well and utterly hosed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Land Raiders are an STC template (also one of the few pieces of tech confirmed to have a legit AI in it, though of course the Adeptus Mechanicus claim it is a machine spirit :v:), I don't think the Leman Russ was a redesigned tractor either though that does sound familiar. I think one of the other Imperial Guard vehicles was a redesigned piece of farming equipment with guns taped onto it.

The Rhino was in part a farming vehicle. It's an STC vehicle originally designed as a multipurpose workhorse vehicle for frontier colonies, and specifically was used in some colonies as a farm tractor.

Other common Imperial vehicles:

Land Raider: An exploration and survey vehicle for human colonies on inhospitable worlds, intended to be a mobile base station for a surveying crew.

Land Speeder: A completely new vehicle from the Great Crusade era, based on anti-grav tech recovered by Magos Arkhan Land (the same guy who discovered the Land Raider STC which was also named after him).

Leman Russ: A completely new vehicle from the Great Crusade era. Includes many bits of STC tech, but was introduced to standardize the tanks of the Imperial Army in order to simplify the Great Crusade's logistics.

Chimera: STC design.

quote:

Leman Russes can do all that while running on wood. They're powered by some kind of incredibly efficient heat engine.

Rhinos share this bit of fluff. Presumably they have the same engine.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah that's what I meant by lots of Imperial tech isn't running at full capacity due to issues with the AI: any major ship of the Imperium is armed with systems of that caliber, it's just that no-one alive knows the correct command codes to turn everything on properly.

Imperial spaceships basically go into battle on standby mode and they are still some of the most dangerous ships in the galaxy.

Imperial AI's are not to be hosed with, which is why the setting bends over backwards to explain why the Imperium doesn't know how to use them properly.

It's also worth noting that Land Raiders are in fact fully capable of operating with zero crew and it is not at all unheard of for a Land Raider to lose its temper because someone killed its crew and take revenge on the person responsible. The most famous example being the Land Raider Rynn's Might which threw a hissy fit when an Ork Warboss killed its crew and proceeded to kill the Warboss and most of his followers before the Orks finally took it down.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 9, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

quote:

Ye Olde DAoT seemed focused on mass producing extremely sophisticated tech for everyone in an exceptionally modular, adaptable and easy to use form that can be altered to deal with numerous kinds of challenges. Eldar tech was probably more advanced regardless but nowhere near as accessible to the masses as dark age human tech. Eldar stuff relies on hard to make wraithbone and other exotic materials - certain constructs even require things like very psychically gifted twins working together, one dead in a soulstone and one living as a pilot, just to make work.

Not like mankind's tech. In DAoT mankind could just roll enemies over with mass produced but nonetheless mighty machines. The Baneblade was supposedly a regular MBT during the DAoT that could come off the conveyor belt one after the other.

The Tau haven't quite hit their tech limit but it looks like their tech might eventually be the kind that's very powerful and comes with no strings attached - things like having hard to corrupt AIs that don't rebel or fall to chaos, or having weapons that would never backfire on its user.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If the Tau already field massed combat drones why do they even bother with line infantry, manned battle suits, and piloted vehicles? Just turn your giant fighting robots into an actual robot army and play space mans safely from an underground bunker or something.

Then what are you going to do with the Fire caste? Just leave them to sit around getting bored?

(Bored soldiers = bad)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If the Tau had a good five or ten thousand years to build a proper Empire they'd be able to match the Imperium, technologically the Tau are approaching what Humanity was at right around when the Men of Iron (supposedly there were Men of Gold and various other materials which were either prototypes or specialized Men of Iron) first set off to conquer the galaxy in Humanity's name. Sadly they are unlikely to get that time because even if they survive the Imperium the entire galaxy is going to be eyeballs deep in Tyranids long before the Tau manage to become large enough to be relevant on a galactic scale.

Hopefully the Necrons or Orks get their poo poo together and fight off the Tyranids, no-one else has a snowball's chance in hell of winning that fight. If they do and the Tau somehow survive the ensuring galactic catastrophe then they might just have a chance of actually being important.

Of course if the Tau are related to the Necrons that changes everything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neruz posted:

If the Tau had a good five or ten thousand years to build a proper Empire they'd be able to match the Imperium, technologically the Tau are approaching what Humanity was at right around when the Men of Iron (supposedly there were Men of Gold and various other materials which were either prototypes or specialized Men of Iron) first set off to conquer the galaxy in Humanity's name. Sadly they are unlikely to get that time because even if they survive the Imperium the entire galaxy is going to be eyeballs deep in Tyranids long before the Tau manage to become large enough to be relevant on a galactic scale.

Hopefully the Necrons or Orks get their poo poo together and fight off the Tyranids, no-one else has a snowball's chance in hell of winning that fight. If they do and the Tau somehow survive the ensuring galactic catastrophe then they might just have a chance of actually being important.

Of course if the Tau are related to the Necrons that changes everything.

If the Tau, Imperium and Eldar put aside their differences and worked together they could take down the Tyranids. But none of them alone can. The Imperium is too busy fighting everyone everywhere ever, The Eldar are more focused on saving their own drat selves and speaking in riddles, and the Tau, while willing, are too small.

Worth noting, the Imperium as of the 7th Edition is pretty low on the Tau empire (they used to work much better) while having a better relationship with the Eldar.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As far as politics go the longer the Tau exist the more they're going to piss off the Imperium because they have more time to annex Imperium planets and steal good honest Imperial citizens with their promises of a better life when working for the greater good. Eldar on the other hand don't steal planets and don't take away the only resource the Imperium has in droves, human lives, and also tend to be pretty nice about warning humans of impending doom when you can get past the flowery bullshit language. So I can totally get the Eldar looking better and better if only because everyone else continues to look worse and worse as allies. One point for the Tau and Necrons being the same species is that the Necron Lords have a remarkably similar body shape to the Tau Ethereals and have very similar stances/weaponry.

I still love that there's an imperial vehicle that on the table-top has a range of 1000 feet or something in a game where most ranges are listed as anywhere from 6 through to 48 inches. Someone once used his last turn of a game to fire it from his store at a game in the next store over for fun. Also the reason Machine Spirits can fall to chaos is because more often than not they quite literally have a person making up part of it somewhere. The Imperium is really, really careful about having another Men of Iron occurrence so any-time they actually need a thinking Machine they tend to just plug either a vat grown person raised for the job or a criminal forced into it. Also the Men of Iron was not chaos it was Matrix/Terminator style robots realising they don't need humanity nearly as much as humanity needed them and deciding to take over because of it. However instead of winning they lose although I don't actually know why they do so.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

If the Tau, Imperium and Eldar put aside their differences and worked together they could take down the Tyranids. But none of them alone can. The Imperium is too busy fighting everyone everywhere ever, The Eldar are more focused on saving their own drat selves and speaking in riddles, and the Tau, while willing, are too small.

Worth noting, the Imperium as of the 7th Edition is pretty low on the Tau empire (they used to work much better) while having a better relationship with the Eldar.

This makes some sense. The Imperium working with the Eldar. They are a more or less known quantity, and while the Eldar always try to use you, they know that. And I think to the Imperium it is a big deal that the Eldar don't want to govern humans, and the poo poo the Tau do to their gue'va are enough to get them a black mark forever to the Imperium.

Granted I think the forever war everywhere is why the Imperium would need help in the first place. If they could muster all the Space Marines, all the ships, all the Guard, all the Titans in one place, I'm not sure anything could stop the tide of humanity. They never would be able to however.

On the Men of Iron I'm pretty sure humanity won by using our standard tactic of this, drowning them in bodies. Sure each Man of Iron could kill 50 humans but, there were 100 waiting to replace them.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 9, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Onmi posted:

Yeah that's why I discount them as realistic opponents for the Nids; the Orks may realistically unite on a galaxy-wide WAAARGH! behind Ghazghkull Margaret Thatcher Mag Uruk Thraka once the main Hive Fleet arrives and Ghazghkull hears the news and the Necrons may realistically unite behind the Silent King if he can stop whining and sulking in his bedroom long enough to explain the situation to the other Necron Lords but there's no way the Imperium, Eldar and Tau will unite together even in the face of the main Hive Fleet.

If either the Orks or Necrons get their poo poo together and take the brunt of the Hive Fleet's assault the others can probably survive and fight off the inevitable splinter fleets that will fragment off the main Hive Fleet, but the Necrons and Orks are really the only two factions that could take the brunt of the Hive Fleet and have a chance of winning.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the reason Machine Spirits can fall to chaos is because more often than not they quite literally have a person making up part of it somewhere. The Imperium is really, really careful about having another Men of Iron occurrence so any-time they actually need a thinking Machine they tend to just plug either a vat grown person raised for the job or a criminal forced into it. Also the Men of Iron was not chaos it was Matrix/Terminator style robots realising they don't need humanity nearly as much as humanity needed them and deciding to take over because of it. However instead of winning they lose although I don't actually know why they do so.

Certain pieces of imperial tech are known to contain genuine AI's (Land Raiders are an example) which are simply properly sanctified and protected against Chaos and believed to just be strong be Machine Spirits by most. No-one knows what actually happened to the Men of Iron beyond 'they turned on Humanity', Chaos corruption is suggested as a possibility but there has been no clear official stance on the subject.

The fact that a Chaos corrupted STC that produced Chaos corrupted Men of Iron was found (and destroyed) strongly hints that it was totally Chaos corruption that made the Men of Iron suddenly turn on Humanity.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 9, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The Imperium knows the Eldar will always backstab them, but the Eldar know that as soon as the Imperium runs out of enemies they will hunt the Eldar down and kill them all too. :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Eimi posted:

On the Men of Iron I'm pretty sure humanity won by using our standard tactic of this, drowning them in bodies. Sure each Man of Iron could kill 50 humans but, there were 100 waiting to replace them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Depending on how much set up they have I could also see the forces of chaos making an honest go of it. The big problem is each major Tyranid hive-fleet has been about 3 times the size of the previous one, and based on their timing the next one will becoming right after the dawn of the new MIllenium and will likely be large enough to attack everywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy at the same time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Neruz posted:

Yeah that's why I discount them as realistic opponents for the Nids; the Orks may realistically unite on a galaxy-wide WAAARGH! behind Ghazghkull Margaret Thatcher Mag Uruk Thraka once the main Hive Fleet arrives and Ghazghkull hears the news and the Necrons may realistically unite behind the Silent King if he can stop whining and sulking in his bedroom long enough to explain the situation to the other Necron Lords but there's no way the Imperium, Eldar and Tau will unite together even in the face of the main Hive Fleet.

If either the Orks or Necrons get their poo poo together and take the brunt of the Hive Fleet's assault the others can probably survive and fight off the inevitable splinter fleets that will fragment off the main Hive Fleet, but the Necrons and Orks are really the only two factions that could take the brunt of the Hive Fleet and have a chance of winning.

well Ghaz got blown back to M41.694 from M41.990. so not only is he as strong as he was years before he ever back important, but now he has Gork and Mork directly commanding him to unite the Orks

After leaving Armageddon, Ghazghkull engaged in a space battle with Helbrecht and Yarrick and was saved by the direct intervention of Gork and Mork, who commanded him to make a Waaagh! so massive that they could lead the Orks personally. And then they threw him through the warp, 300 years into the past, from M41.990 to 694. He's currently on his way to Octarius to krump the Tyranids and show the Overfiend who's the real boss of the Orks. Since the first recorded mentions of Thraka are from about 7 years before the first Ork invasion of Armageddon, in M41.934, this means that he traveled into a past in which his giant WAAAGH and his huge reputation amassed from it didn't even exist yet. So he's literally building an army in the past, possibly to jump into the future with again and back up his M41.990-era horde once it's big enough. Emperor preserve you if Ghazghkull ever meets with himself due to time shenanigans.

There is a huge emphasis on the End Times theme, with the Orks suddenly being seized with a religious fervor to gather for the Last WAAAAAAGH!!! - that often mentioned hypothetical galaxy-conquering unification of the Orks seems to be less and less hypothetical as time goes on, especially given Ghazghkull's new blessings from the Ork gods.

The idea that Orks' psychic fields help their otherwise impossible technology work has been really downplayed, possibly removed. The Meks are really competent in this edition. The book Evil Sun Rising places a lot of emphasis on Meks going off of luck and inspiration with little memory about how they did it.

That last point shows for every attempt to do something cool GW fucks up something that was wonderful about their world.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Depending on how much set up they have I could also see the forces of chaos making an honest go of it. The big problem is each major Tyranid hive-fleet has been about 3 times the size of the previous one, and based on their timing the next one will becoming right after the dawn of the new MIllenium and will likely be large enough to attack everywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy at the same time.

eh given all that Abbadon has accomplished in 10,000 loving years (dick all) Failbadon the harmless has about as much chance against the Tyranids as the yarn people of Nylar 4.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Iretep posted:

The Imperium knows the Eldar will always backstab them, but the Eldar know that as soon as the Imperium runs out of enemies they will hunt the Eldar down and kill them all too. :v:

The funniest part about Eldar in setting is that, despite the fact that they are usually following a long term prophecy in doing it, they are actually incredibly short sighted and predictable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Onmi posted:

Emperor preserve you if Ghazghkull ever meets with himself due to time shenanigans.

I believe the general consensus is that he would kill himself so that he could have two copies of his favorite gun.

Also Chaos doesn't stand a chance against the Tyranids because the Shadow in the Warp of the Hive Mind completely cuts off the Warp from the material realm and also totally fucks up the Warp as well. Presumably this is because the Hive Mind is effectively a really weird and alien Chaos God with more 'worshipers' than there are people in the Imperium a thousand times over.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 9, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To be fair, the Orks tech working because they believe it should is a fan theory that GW has never actually supported.

And have routinely maintained that that's not how it works.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

I believe the general consensus is that he would kill himself so that he could have two copies of his favorite gun.

Ghazkull is a Goff so he would probably just kill his double since he doesent like such nonsense. Grizgutz who actually killed his past self for his favorite gun was a noted kleptomaniac.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

To be fair, the Orks tech working because they believe it should is a fan theory that GW has never actually supported.

And have routinely maintained that that's not how it works.

It's not so much that it's an unsupported fan theory as that fans exaggerate the effect a lot. What the Ork Gestalt field does is makes their tech more reliable. In the hands of a Human Ork tech is unreliable and prone to just breaking and malfunctioning, in the hands of an Ork, well it's still unreliable and prone to breaking and malfunctioning but less so. And the effect gets stronger and stronger the bigger the WAAAGH! If you get a really big one going you can sometimes get effects like the number of bullets in a clip increasing and other similar minor physics tricks, but that stuff only happens in the sector-wide WAAAGH!'s and is largely irrelevant for the scale that the game's rules are set at.

That said, the Gestalt field absolutely does have some physics tricks at lower levels; painting Ork vehicles red does in fact make them go faster, amongst other things.

Iretep posted:

Ghazkull is a Goff so he would probably just kill his double since he doesent like such nonsense. Grizgutz who actually killed his past self for his favorite gun was a noted kleptomaniac.

Sure but I don't see why he wouldn't then loot himself, be a shame to waste such a good gun and power klaw.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Neruz posted:

Also Chaos doesn't stand a chance against the Tyranids because the Shadow in the Warp of the Hive Mind completely cuts off the Warp from the material realm and also totally fucks up the Warp as well. Presumably this is because the Hive Mind is effectively a really weird and alien Chaos God with more 'worshipers' than there are people in the Imperium a thousand times over.
It would be hilarious if a Hive Fleet got close to the Eye of Terror and it closed because of the Shadow. Then Chaos would be really up a creek without their main avenue of getting into the material realm.

The Orks and Necron being matches for the Hive Mind sort of make sense since some of their respective (oldish) codex contend that they were designed to fight it. Orkz via 'lets use their methods against them' and Necrion via 'wipe everything out leave nothing left.'

Then again it would also be hilarious if it turns out that there is no main Hive Mind because it died from growing too big and each fleet is a separate entity (though the entire force is still a gestalt entity) and the Tyranids are just a boned as everyone else is in the grimdarkness of the future.
Or maybe I just wish it so because Tyranids sound so boring as a cataclysmic species.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In the Grimdark future of the 41st Millenium, everyone is boned.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
From my understanding the ork psychic field thing started out ridiculous like having a gun with no bullets that still shoots people and the clip just contained some screws and bolts so that when they shook it they thought there was still ammo left. Then with each edition GW and stepped farther and farther away from it until it basically doesn't exist outside of red making things go faster.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or maybe I just wish it so because Tyranids sound so boring as a cataclysmic species.

I can see how some people think they're boring but I think the 'nids are a hilarious end to the galaxy. The implication from the way 'nids travel between the stars and the fact that they've attacked the galaxy at numerous, weird angles above and below its plane suggests the milky way may be the one galaxy left that hasn't been overrun, at least locally. Despite the enormous scale of the horrible events transpiring in the 40k verse, that even all that could be a tiny, insignificant drop compared the possibily cosmic scale of other events is amazing - that things could still get worse, like logarithmically worse, is hilarious as it's also been suggested all those 'nids are running from something even worse.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah I agree. They're only species that doesn't have any interesting flaws or characters or anything. They're just a random heap of space teeth, so of course they're the unstoppable super race that wins everything in the end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I agree. They're only species that doesn't have any interesting flaws or characters or anything. They're just a random heap of space teeth, so of course they're the unstoppable super race that wins everything in the end.

It is the law of 40k: The less personality you have, the stronger you are.

I've tried to write adventures around the Nids for the RPGs several times but they always run into the wall that an enemy who won't interact with you, can only be interacted with through shooting him in the face, and has tons of 'nu uh, I didn't actually lose' elements to him is actually boring as gently caress to fight. This is also why the Oldcrons were terrible.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The tyranids flaw was messing with the Orks. At the early days of the imperium a human sent probes outside the galaxy. Today an Ad-mech is monitoring the probes signals.They are still sending the message "ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS". The nids are basically trying to escape giant Orks from outside the galaxy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the rest of the universe is just endless seething carpets of Orks, the most likely candidate for the thing that the Tyranids might be running away from? Orks.

Orks are by far the most successful ecosystem in the universe; the Old Ones weren't loving around when they set out to make the perfect life form. The Orks hit their win state millions of years ago and they've been riding high ever since.

Imperial Scientists also suspect that Squigs are in fact a Tyranid strain that evolved symbiosis with the Ork ecosystem, effectively self-domesticating like Cats did with Humans :v:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 9, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Iretep posted:

The tyranids flaw was messing with the Orks. At the early days of the imperium a human sent probes outside the galaxy. Today an Ad-mech is monitoring the probes signals.They are still sending the message "ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS". The nids are basically trying to escape giant Orks from outside the galaxy.

Or in universe Orks just looted the probes after a particularly bad Warp trip.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Onmi posted:

The idea that Orks' psychic fields help their otherwise impossible technology work has been really downplayed, possibly removed. The Meks are really competent in this edition. The book Evil Sun Rising places a lot of emphasis on Meks going off of luck and inspiration with little memory about how they did it.

They...they did what to my Orkz?!? :negative: I'm even more glad that I had to stop playing ages ago.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ShootaBoy posted:

They...they did what to my Orkz?!? :negative: I'm even more glad that I had to stop playing ages ago.

They also like to play up how grimdark and evil orks are now.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

They also like to play up how grimdark and evil orks are now.

I'm pretty sure this is just to spite all the hooligan the Ork players who keep ruining their preciously crafted narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ugh, I'm just gonna keep living in the period where either the Dark Eldar or the Grey Knights got a new book, which ever came later can't remember, 'cause oh man have they butchered everything I loved about it.

• Locked thread