Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nakar posted:

Yes. Just get all the prisoners and don't get caught. I didn't even have Reflex Mode off. You can take loving forever.

Ditto. Carry all the dudes to the helicopter pickup before calling the chopper for Chico. Also get the other dude first. This works on Hard too, you just have to watch out for the guards that patrol that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

superh posted:

Ditto. Carry all the dudes to the helicopter pickup before calling the chopper for Chico. Also get the other dude first. This works on Hard too, you just have to watch out for the guards that patrol that area.
That score actually is on Hard, too. I think you need somewhere in the 60-65k range for an S Rank, so the prisoners alone should account for half your score. You just need to either be faster (20-30min is perfectly workable even if you're not a speedrunner) or get most of the bonuses for no alerts/kills/retries/reflex. That run was just me sneaking around holding up every single guard on the map. I wasn't even shooting for score and figured it would be like a B or something. No, the prisoner bonus is seriously that good on Ground Zeroes.

I can't quite figure out what triggers the guards to be down at the coast when you get Chico instead of walking down the road toward the cliffside guard hut. The latter obviously makes extraction way easier and I don't know what exactly causes the former to happen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just started playing through Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for the first real time (Not counting the demo I played a few years back), and am now finished with Chapter 1.

The action mechanics feel pretty natural, especially once I got a hang of parrying, though I never quite feel like I have any idea of how much damage I am doing to enemies at any give time. Bosses are an exception with their fairly obvious HP bars, and are generally more fun than fighting Gekkos and the like. I'm not too big on the quick time events in boss battles though. A cutscene will start and I'll think I can put the controller down finally but nope I have to mash triangle now that a prompt has appeared on screen. I guess I know to look out for them now, at least.

Not quite sure how I feel about the story or its presentation- part of me loves the whole Dragon Ball Z meets Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots meets Yojimbo thing it has going, while the other part of me doesn't like the idea of Raiden being the main character at all, especially because I wasn't a fan of his "badass" reinterpretation in MGS4. Perhaps there will be a reveal later on in the story to show that all this "samurai honor" stuff is just a facade though.

It's a fun game, but it just doesn't quite click right with the rest of the franchise for me, at least so far.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Just started playing through Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for the first real time (Not counting the demo I played a few years back), and am now finished with Chapter 1.

The action mechanics feel pretty natural, especially once I got a hang of parrying, though I never quite feel like I have any idea of how much damage I am doing to enemies at any give time. Bosses are an exception with their fairly obvious HP bars, and are generally more fun than fighting Gekkos and the like. I'm not too big on the quick time events in boss battles though. A cutscene will start and I'll think I can put the controller down finally but nope I have to mash triangle now that a prompt has appeared on screen. I guess I know to look out for them now, at least.

Not quite sure how I feel about the story or its presentation- part of me loves the whole Dragon Ball Z meets Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots meets Yojimbo thing it has going, while the other part of me doesn't like the idea of Raiden being the main character at all, especially because I wasn't a fan of his "badass" reinterpretation in MGS4. Perhaps there will be a reveal later on in the story to show that all this "samurai honor" stuff is just a facade though.

It's a fun game, but it just doesn't quite click right with the rest of the franchise for me, at least so far.

I spent the evening doing the same thing coincidentally (bought it on steam sale months ago, never touched it), it is a good game. I dig that it just spits you the hell out if you don't pay attention and figure out the mechanics. The QTE's could be worse, not as drawn out as some and usually paired with something ridiculously anime happening. drat solid PC port too, even renders properly in 21:9 with Flawless Widescreen patch.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 12, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Killing people in creative ways is the best part of MGS yall should do that more often. Slit a drat throat every once in a while.

God yes this. My Slit every throat, destroy all food supplies run of MGS3 was fantastic. I think The Sorrow lasted like 20 some odd minutes.

Though that wasn't as hilarious as my brother's "trap, kill, and eat everything" run where after the soldier ghosts stopped spawning it was almost five solid minutes of dead fish and snakes in the water.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
MG:Rising is a good litmus test to see if a person is brain dead when it comes to following direction and figuring things out in games. It can reveal if a person is even vaguely capable of sussing things out from context, or that they require being hand held through everything with the aid of paint by numbers tutorials designed for least common denominator utter retards with no patience.

All the people who never figure out how to parry in MGR:R are basically the reason games are so filled with mind numbing amounts of tutorial garbage.

There are people who suck at MR:R mainly because they don't know how to parry, and don't make an effort to understand the combat system on even a basic level, and are frustrated that it is even slightly challenging and unique in it's mechanics. People like this who then proceed to blame the game as being bad, instead of understanding they are the problem, are the worst. That's why it makes a good litmus test to see if you are Brad at games.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 12, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Don't Brad-shame

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I spent the evening doing the same thing coincidentally (bought it on steam sale months ago, never touched it), it is a good game. I dig that it just spits you the hell out if you don't pay attention and figure out the mechanics. The QTE's could be worse, not as drawn out as some and usually paired with something ridiculously anime happening. drat solid PC port too, even renders properly in 21:9 with Flawless Widescreen patch.

I'm playing the PS3 version myself. Seems to run great for the most part, though I notice some slowdown when transitioning from an in-game cutscene sometimes, like when Raiden is talking on his codec.

Love the codec system here, btw. It's a nice throwback to the classic games with how you have 4+ people to talk to at any given time.

Damo posted:

There are people who suck at MR:R mainly because they don't know how to parry, and don't make an effort to understand the combat system on even a basic level, and are frustrated that it is even slightly challenging and unique in it's mechanics. People like this who then proceed to blame the game as being bad, instead of understanding they are the problem, are the worst. That's why it makes a good litmus test to see if you are Brad at games.

I'll admit to having trouble with it a few years back when I tried the demo, though just messing around with the game this time I got a hang of it pretty easily. One thing I like about parrying in this game is that it is a pretty good alternative to just straight-up blocking. People go on about a game like Dark Souls being hard, but there's a lot of that game you can get through just by turtling with a decent shield. MGR's parry system seems like a good alternative to something like that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Rising is kind of addle-brained about explaining certain necessary mechanics. I got parrying down just fine, but locking dodging away as a purchasable skill and not telling the player about it ASAP seems like a bad idea that could have easily been fixed by either making the dodge available by default, automatically unlocking it after finishing the prologue, or adding a codec VO to the start of act 1 that prods the player towards unlocking it.

Certainly not the end of the world, but when people are passing around a 15 minute "THE TUTORIAL THAT THE GAME DOESN'T GIVE YOU" video that basically amounts to "buy the dodge skill and practice parrying" as a must-watch before playing...

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I played through MGR:R on Easy with Auto-Parry on, and never manually parried or dodged even once :shobon:

e: I also played through the entire game without realizing you could lock on to enemies.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It still seems like a strange decision to me that Platinum likes to lock dodging and sometimes blocking and parrying inside game shop purchasing systems. They tend to be the first recommended purchases and often come with a eureka moment from players who were struggling without. I encountered this with the various blocking/parry forms in Wonderful 101 early on before I knew you could buy important stuff like that (I'd only played Vanquish otherwise from them). Not a game breaker but some of the frustration I see about Bayo/W101/etc. are from people who expect those things to be available at the start and I guess assume they aren't in there.

More games need the "press toward your enemy at the correct time to parry" fighting game mechanic, it feels awesome when you nail it down.

e: The Kins beat me to it up there

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Interesting. I noticed the lack of lock-on, but I figured that was just one of the game's quirks. Gonna have to buy that skill now, I guess.

For dodging, I figured you were expected literally to just run away, though this explains all those "Beat These Bosses Without Taking Damage" Trophies now.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Rising would be far from the first Metal Gear game to just not explain core mechanics. How many people finished MGS3 without ever learning CQC?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 12, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Raxivace posted:

How many people finished MGS3 without ever learning CQC?

You mean other than DSP?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Interesting. I noticed the lack of lock-on, but I figured that was just one of the game's quirks. Gonna have to buy that skill now, I guess.

Lock-on is always available from the very start, it's just never mentioned in the tutorial or anywhere in-game besides the control scheme settings, which is always the first thing I check out in any game but some people just never do. It's only the dodge move that's hidden behind a paywall.

quote:

EDIT: Come to think of it, Rising would be far from the first Metal Gear game to just not explain core mechanics. How many people finished MGS3 without ever learning CQC?

Almost every little mechanic the game has is explained in optional codec conversations, but if you listen to all the tutorial dialogue at the beginning you're looking at like over 2 hours of conversation so I can't blame anyone for not doing that.

However, whenever I recommend the game to someone I add that, while printed manuals were already pretty bare and useless by the time MGS3 was released, that game is an exception and i'd very much recommend to at least browse through it before playing it for the first time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hello, I like Venom Snake's ponytail.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I'm playing the PS3 version myself. Seems to run great for the most part, though I notice some slowdown when transitioning from an in-game cutscene sometimes, like when Raiden is talking on his codec.

That's when it's loading the level ahead of you.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone not like the slo mo when spotted mechanic in Ground Zeroes? It feels so jarring to slo mo lock onto a guy when spotted, and feels like it makes the game sort of easy. When I turn it off the game gets way too hard because it seems like there is no time between one guy spotting me and the entire base going onto alert mode. Previous games had the enemy radioing for backup but that does not seem to be the case in Ground Zeroes.

I am hoping some of these mechanics have been refined for the Phantom Pain. I am curious to see how alerts work when you run away from a base and into the wilderness. I am guessing patrols will follow you...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Bleh mod that poo poo out on the PC. Actually how many goddamn names does Big Boss have so far for TPP?

Played the game some more on the PC...I still suck at stealth but I did get through it a lot further with stealth then I did before and I finally beat the Intel tape mission...well kinda had no clue the first tape was a trap and kept wondering why the apc would show up. Still have to do the sniper mission.

Now I really want to play PW to complete for once as the mother base stuff is a lot more appealing to me....but that's mostly for watching all the game play trailers again. Man GZ is such a small sampling of all the crazy poo poo we're going to be able to do.

In general are people using controllers or m/kb for the PC. I have trouble remembering all the keys but I do love aiming with the mouse.

Such a dilemma over whether to get the PS4 collectors edition or just wait for steam and red box the game. I really am interested in the behind the scenes doc as the MGS4 stuff was fantastic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gfanikf posted:

Bleh mod that poo poo out on the PC. Actually how many goddamn names does Big Boss have so far for TPP?

They haven't referred to him as Punished Snake since that one trailer, so it could well have bitten the bullet. He's been referred to as Venom Snake exclusively since then.

I don't know why he's not Big Boss when he takes up the mantle in Peace Walker, but whatever I guess?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Does anyone not like the slo mo when spotted mechanic in Ground Zeroes? It feels so jarring to slo mo lock onto a guy when spotted, and feels like it makes the game sort of easy. When I turn it off the game gets way too hard because it seems like there is no time between one guy spotting me and the entire base going onto alert mode. Previous games had the enemy radioing for backup but that does not seem to be the case in Ground Zeroes.

I am hoping some of these mechanics have been refined for the Phantom Pain. I am curious to see how alerts work when you run away from a base and into the wilderness. I am guessing patrols will follow you...

Reflex is a little polarizing. Hard core speed runners detest it. Casual gamers don't complain. When I play TPP, I'll generally sneak around, but I'll leave reflex turned on for when I royally gently caress up.

When messing about, I enjoy sneaking up on a pack of guards, letting them see me, triggering reflex, then headshot all of them to watch all of their bodies drop at the same time. Very satisfying.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

net cafe scandal posted:

Agreed. It reminds me of Toshiro Mifune

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Reflex is awesome if you don't care about rank because you have ages to tranq guards in the head so if you're good at aiming you can basically stroll anywhere on the base and not worry about discovery.

Glad it's optional though, would feel a little too easy-mode if it was always on.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Reflex is a little polarizing. Hard core speed runners detest it. Casual gamers don't complain. When I play TPP, I'll generally sneak around, but I'll leave reflex turned on for when I royally gently caress up.

When messing about, I enjoy sneaking up on a pack of guards, letting them see me, triggering reflex, then headshot all of them to watch all of their bodies drop at the same time. Very satisfying.
Speedrunners use Reflex Mode precisely because it slows down the game clock and allows you to headshot 4 guys in the span of a single game second. It's not as impressive as the guys who do the no detection/kills/reflex speedruns, but it is actually faster and vaguely impressive in its own right. My best times for Neutralize All Enemies trials are 4+ minutes behind the best players because they devise routes that allow them to kill 3-4 guys per Reflex and essentially spend half of a 6 minute real-time run in Reflex, making the game time actually end up clocked at 2.5 minutes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Speedrunners hate it... Speedrunners love it... Truly Big Boss is at his most divided...

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I am glad Reflex Mode exists because too often in GZ I found that guards would spot me and trigger the alert only after I have moved out of their direct line of sight, meaning I had no opportunity to actually stop the alert.

There is also an annoying tendency for guards to spot me through things that I can't shoot through. Like those barbed wire fences around the tent city on the way to the prison that arbitrarily blocks bullets even in the empty space between the wire coils. Reflex Mode lets me re-position myself and not get penalized as badly. Sure I lose points because I used Reflex Mode, but I save more because I don't have to waste time waiting out an alert.

It's a crutch, but it's a crutch that cuts down on player frustration so it is fine by me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oddium posted:

Speedrunners hate it...

Find out how Big Boss got RIPPED in only 15 days.

Click here!

(Militaires sans Frontieres™)

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
I would probably play with reflex mode on if the game didn't have the dramatic "whoosh" sound whenever a guard gets suspicious, accompanied by a "danger from this direction" marker that I don't think you can turn off anyway.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Damo posted:

MG:Rising is a good litmus test to see if a person is brain dead when it comes to following direction and figuring things out in games. It can reveal if a person is even vaguely capable of sussing things out from context, or that they require being hand held through everything with the aid of paint by numbers tutorials designed for least common denominator utter retards with no patience.

All the people who never figure out how to parry in MGR:R are basically the reason games are so filled with mind numbing amounts of tutorial garbage.

I got that impression from it, the game is obvious about Doing It Wrong but once the mechanics sink in it's never unfair, a good hallmark for legitimate challenge. This might be the best MGS game purely based on the parity between cut scene protagonist ability and in game ability. Nothing killed immersion faster than crap like in MGS4 when Meryl and her brain linked super soldiers show up in cinematic and pull of some matrix poo poo, then proceed to be standard useless videogame AI in gameplay that can barely navigate the map.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 12, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There were so many times where reflex mode slowed me down rather than help out

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

gfanikf posted:

He is referred to as Venom Snake, Punished Snake, and Big Boss, and just V in the first mgsv trailer, which is probably short for Venom Snake.

I think he becomes Punished Snake later in the game. I like his three-strap eyepatch. He just looks really cool, drat.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

He is referred to as Venom Snake, Punished Snake, and Big Boss, and just V in the first mgsv trailer, which is probably short for Venom Snake.

I think he becomes Punished Snake later in the game. I like his three-strap eyepatch. He just looks really cool, drat.

Has this been confirmed at all? Given that we haven't seen the Punished Snake name mentioned for nearly two years I was beginning to think it had been scrapped and that Venom Snake was a replacement.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Has this been confirmed at all? Given that we haven't seen the Punished Snake name mentioned for nearly two years I was beginning to think it had been scrapped and that Venom Snake was a replacement.

Idk.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

John Luebke posted:

I would probably play with reflex mode on if the game didn't have the dramatic "whoosh" sound whenever a guard gets suspicious, accompanied by a "danger from this direction" marker that I don't think you can turn off anyway.
You can turn off the markers at least, but possibly not the soundtrack sting. You can turn off most of the UI if you want to make stealth harder, it's not like you won't quickly notice if you got spotted because they'll start an alert instantly.

Bholder posted:

There were so many times where reflex mode slowed me down rather than help out
Yeah, it's terrible if you do CQC a lot because you end up just laboriously running at a guy in slow-motion to throw his rear end against a wall.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Could very well be that those names are just for the trailers and not use in-game. Like people will either call him Boss or Snake. Or someone will go 'LOOKS LIKE THIS SNAKE HAS SOME VENOM LEFT IN HIS BITE' or something I dunno.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Nakar posted:

You can turn off the markers at least, but possibly not the soundtrack sting. You can turn off most of the UI if you want to make stealth harder, it's not like you won't quickly notice if you got spotted because they'll start an alert instantly.

Yeah, it's terrible if you do CQC a lot because you end up just laboriously running at a guy in slow-motion to throw his rear end against a wall.

Or when you are driving a truck, or when you are caught by a camera...

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Or someone will go 'LOOKS LIKE THIS SNAKE HAS SOME VENOM LEFT IN HIS BITE' or something I dunno.

I would not at all be surprised if this exact line made it into the game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the ponytail's alright but I think the big piece of shrapnel lodged in his head is even cooler

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Punished Snake better as a name. Venom Snake sounds like secret character in a Marvel vs. Capcom game.

TheMaestroso posted:

You mean other than DSP?
We don't talk about DSP.

John Luebke posted:

However, whenever I recommend the game to someone I add that, while printed manuals were already pretty bare and useless by the time MGS3 was released, that game is an exception and i'd very much recommend to at least browse through it before playing it for the first time.
I remember trying to make sense of MGS3's manual years ago, and not really understanding the more advanced stuff you could do. There was probably just no hope for some of us, lol.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone found out how long different types of cqc or weapons knock people out for?

Also when a guard wakes up on his on how does the affect alert status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

oddium posted:

Agreed. It reminds me of Toshiro Mifune

Same. I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional.

• Locked thread