Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Not that many highlights from the NXT Live Events the past two nights. Thursday they paired Andrade Almas, Hideo Itami & Oney Lorcan against Austin Aries & The Revival in the main event. Last night At 6-foot-9 and 350 lbs ex-Minnesota Viking Babatunde Aiyegbusi debuted in angle with Bronson Mathews.

https://twitter.com/MorGunShow/status/751585980612694016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Yeah Bayleys got a same old poo poo vibe to her right now, and its not going away until they either put her in an angle besides a respect feud, or they add a wrinkle to her character far beyond what she is working with now.

Still very talented in ring but ive had no investment in her after she's came back. If i was in a crowd that started to boo her, I'd join in p quick. Not my hill to die on to start that one.

I will be at the Jacksonville armory show on the 30th and i will totally be that guy if I get to see a sabby piscatelli match

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i had to check youtube to see if sabby piscatelli is as bad a wrestler as he was a football player and i had to post the first vid i found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U51HkJpOQP4

german wrestling chants. i'm partial to the "Ja! Ja! Ja!" myself.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I get the impression that Bayley's treading water until Charlotte & Sasha are done, so she can move up and be a big deal on debut instead of turning up in the middle of someone else's angle. I wouldn't worry about her position in NXT right now, when the dark shadow of Raw is looming.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This is only shipping now! The action figure that changed the Wrestling industry:

https://twitter.com/FiguresToyCo/status/751574113324523521

pressedbunny posted:

I get the impression that Bayley's treading water until Charlotte & Sasha are done, so she can move up and be a big deal on debut instead of turning up in the middle of someone else's angle. I wouldn't worry about her position in NXT right now, when the dark shadow of Raw is looming.

Bayley and Balor are hard subjects to talk about as there's still stuff in the can NXT wise.

But both are likely to debut on the main roster within the next two weeks. Bayley is Wrestling on the Toronto Live Event tonight and Balor posted a picture of himself on Instagram in Long Island.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The brand split is probably going to raid the hell out of NXT's top talent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That happens on Tuesday during Smackdown live yeah?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Edit: Scratch that. It is taking place on the live SmackDown on July 19th. I thought they'd have it on Raw with the bigger audience, but I guess they really want to make the debut big.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 10, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I got the week wrong then, lucky I checked!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

rovert posted:

But both are likely to debut on the main roster within the next two weeks. Bayley is Wrestling on the Toronto Live Event tonight and Balor posted a picture of himself on Instagram in Long Island.
Turns out that Bayley unfortunately didn't wrestle at that live event

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

rovert posted:

Greenpoint, Brooklyn is not really considered Long Island. Part of the same land mass but substantially different in character, history, demographics and government.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Two reasons: #1 NXT is a minor league promotion

#2 Bayley's entire run was built around her being the underdog going for the title. She did that, she won it, and then she lost it. To another face for that matter. What is there really left to do? It wouldn't make sense to change her character when she should be called up to the main roster with the same character.

And if they duplicate that story on the main roster, then what? Once it's done, do they let her go?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

And if they duplicate that story on the main roster, then what? Once it's done, do they let her go?

Unfortunately, as we've seen with other NXT call-ups, they won't duplicate that story, Instead, they'll expect the full WWE audience to already have followed along with NXT and be emotionally attached to the character. Then, when she doesn't get over, she becomes a jobber and winds up in NXT again like Emma did.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

The only real noteworthy exception being Enzo and Cass, of course. With Apollo Crews and Emma, their characters were relatively weak (smiling guy and eccentric dancing lady) so there wasn't enough there to create a cross-brand excitement like Enzo & Cass built up. They need to follow that sort of formula more, and not just throw people like Adam Rose with characters that weren't established onto the main roster.

Of course, Vince was the reason why Apollo Crews was dumped onto the main roster, so that's always a factor.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Enzo & Cass aren't really guys who need a backstory. Debuting the night after WM was the best way to do it because the smark crowd would know their catchphrases; all they are is a couple of guys who are incredibly entertaining on the mic and fun in the ring. With Bayley and Emma, there's a whole character backstory that is essential to connecting with an audience. Enzo & Cass have it right out of the gate because they're fun and that fun doesn't depend on a 6-month character arc.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I think Sami Zayn and Bayley have it easier to get cheered. It's people like Emma and Alexa Bliss that I'm worried about, because it's much more difficult to get a reaction as a heel (especially as a woman) than cheers as a face, I personally believe.

All Bayley has to do is embrace the kids during her entrance and show off her bubbly and infectious personality and she will definitely get over with the crowd.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 10, 2016

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

If they debut Bayley first, Emma or Alexa Bliss can just viciously assault her after she hugs some kids and everyone will know to boo.

Alexa also has picture-perfect bitchface so that should help for TV audiences at least. Taped promos would sell the same to live audiences.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure they're just biding their time with Apollo Crews until Neville is cleared so they can put them in a tag team. Also if Tozawa signs, that's a no-brainer.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
All in all I think Bliss could do really well as Babyface or heel, she's pretty drat good at playing both.

The Brand Split should (in theory) help out a lot of NXT people treading water because then you'll have RAW/Superstars and Smackdown/Main Event to help build characters instead of having 5 hours a week trying to fill between PPVs. If they let Smackdown's writer go hog-wild it should be great again, just like the Smackdown 6 era, and I really hope they keep the old identities (RAW being the mainstream, high starpower show vs Smackdown being more focused on great wrestling). I really wouldn't mind seeing Cena on Smackdown either, because the US Open was a drat good time to watch wrestling.

e: Scratch that, bring back the US Open gimmick and attach it to the TV Title after the IC/US belts are merged, have the opponent of the TV Titles just be a "random" lotto draft with a 15/20 minute time limit. Could lead to a lot of great matches, could build up a lot of newcomers, and could also be used to make great heels.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 10, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Maybe it's because I never watched WCW or any territories stuff, but I don't really understand the love people have for matches with time limits. Like an Iron Man match I get, but the idea of a time limit draw just seems like the worst.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ShakeZula posted:

Maybe it's because I never watched WCW or any territories stuff, but I don't really understand the love people have for matches with time limits. Like an Iron Man match I get, but the idea of a time limit draw just seems like the worst.

It is.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah time limits suck. Unless it's an iron man match or something they don't add anything of value.

That said I still really like that one Bryan Danielson vs Low Ki match from 2002 that ended in an hour draw, but otherwise meh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/gravenbabies/status/752001815416365056
God Hideo is looking a little lopsided there

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Maybe he needs to get a compression sleeve sponsor so he can bulk up

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Rather than fill out the page with YouTube videos, I'll just say that WWE has been adding promo packages about the competitors, including those not covered in the Bracketology special like Tony Nese and Noam Dar.

http://www.youtube.com/WWE/videos

Be that as it may, here's Tony Nese's, since he was just signed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwzZgUIr5_A

I'm sure more will get added as it gets closer to the tournament.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Phenix Rising posted:

Maybe he needs to get a compression sleeve sponsor so he can bulk up

Nah, Waffle House is Tajiri's deal, Itami is an IHOP man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guess we know his 'batin' arm.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
There's a NXT TV taping on Wednesday and a CWC taping on Thursday this week. So avoid Twitter if you don't want to be spoiled I guess.

It is the final TV taping before NXT Brooklyn too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

rovert posted:

It is the final TV taping before NXT Brooklyn too.

How many episodes do they need to tape to get to that point, 5?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Astro7x posted:

How many episodes do they need to tape to get to that point, 5?

Just 4, like a normal NXT taping. They already have one for the 20th still in the can, so just July the 27th, and August 3rd, 10th, and 17th, with Summerslam on the 21st, and Takeover Back to Brooklyn on the 20th.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Germansimp posted:

Nah, Waffle House is Tajiri's deal, Itami is an IHOP man.

Wars in the Sengoku period were fought for less.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Please stop buying Triple H's story that NXT is 'equal' to the main WWE roster. WWE don't see it that way, no-one outside of smarks see it that way, and while the wrestlers may enjoy having more freedom in their matches, they're sure as hell not getting paid as if it's equal.

NXT is wrestling university. Once you've completed your degree, you graduate.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Please stop buying Triple H's story that NXT is 'equal' to the main WWE roster.

You're right, NXT is better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cvnvcnv posted:

You're right, NXT is better.

From a quality standpoint, yes, from literally every other standpoint, be that financial success, public awareness or personal career goals for the wrestlers, no.

Like, you might think division 2 soccer/football is the best competition, the best games you can watch, but NO-ONE wants to be in division 2 when they could be in the premier league

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks for the input, JBL

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gaz-L posted:

Negativity

You clearly need to inject yourself with 50cc of The Power of Positivity.

Just repeat after me:

N!
XT!

N!
XT!

N!
XT!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm not financially tied to the WWE so I'd rather watch the better product, which is NXT, if it's all the same to you really.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not financially tied to the WWE so I'd rather watch the better product, which is NXT, if it's all the same to you really.

I don't think he was saying that you shouldn't watch and enjoy nxt he was saying that for pretty much every wrestler in the company they are trying to get to the main show, and nxt is not the big league. Which is objectively correct.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/752931649067810816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

email posted:

Dear NXT Fan,

The WWE and NXT have instituted a new bag policy for all of our Florida events including tapings at Full Sail.

Please note that there will be NO bags allowed into the building including clear bags.

The only items that will be allowed in are women’s small clutch bags and baby bags. These WILL be subject to search at the door.

This policy goes into effect immediately.

We thank you for being loyal fans and look forward to seeing you at the next WWE NXT event.

So did they just go crazy or did some fan do something?

• Locked thread