Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The good people at TSHS have put out a Giant Gorg episode every week for the last four weeks. Get on that if you've ever wanted to watch Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's 1984 TV series.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guyver posted:

The good people at TSHS have put out a Giant Gorg episode every week for the last four weeks. Get on that if you've ever wanted to watch Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's 1984 TV series.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/

I'm just starting Giant Gorg right now and five minutes in our hero is spray painting in a ratty subway car in New York City :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm halfway through Zambot 3 and I just realised how short it is, did it do the usual Tomino thing from this time period and get cancelled? 24 episodes for a 70's giant robot show is just weird.

Also Kappei is still kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nope. I've heard the toy sales were good and it was popular enough that they went ahead with its sister series Daitarn 3. Never heard anyone say it was canceled.

Also a bit of trivia. Zambot 3 originally was going to be a warring states robot anime till Tomino got his hands on it and threw all that poo poo out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Warring states super robots would have been aces, shame.

It still boggles my mind that this is a kids show made to sell toy robots when about a hundred civilians get killed on screen every episode and I've been spoiled to the fact that practically everyone dies at the end.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Killer the Butcher! :argh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The team behind Star Driver is coming back together for an anime called "Captain Earth". Not much else is know at the moment.

http://www.jefusion.com/2013/09/star-driver-team-reunites-for-captain-earth-mecha-anime.html

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GorfZaplen posted:

The team behind Star Driver is coming back together for an anime called "Captain Earth". Not much else is know at the moment.

http://www.jefusion.com/2013/09/star-driver-team-reunites-for-captain-earth-mecha-anime.html

I've heard of some doofy mecha series names before but that takes the cake

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
With a name like that I can only hope that it's tremendously super robot.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Schwarzwald posted:

With a name like that I can only hope that it's tremendously super robot.

I heard (from a guy who I didn't bother asking for a source, so take it with a grain of salt) that the influences are 'Zeta Gundam, Gunbuster, L-Gaim, and Linebarrels'. So I'm cautiously excited for it... but given the mention of Gunbuster and Linebarrels, VERY cautiously.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Son Ryo posted:

but given the mention of Gunbuster and Linebarrels, VERY cautiously.

Are you talking poo poo about Gunbuster cause you and I are going to have to have words if that's the case. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can understand trepidation about it being influenced by Linebarrels, but why are you hesitant about Gunbuster being an influence?

If anything, I would think that would mean a possibility of colossal earth-defending space militaries with ridiculously huge starships, robots, and superweapons. Led by Captain Earth, of course! We can hope.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ActionZero posted:

Are you talking poo poo about Gunbuster cause you and I are going to have to have words if that's the case. :colbert:

I guess it depends on what exactly they're taking from Gunbuster. 'Cause I could do without the fanservice and the training stuff that takes way too long, but I liked the science stuff and as Captain Invictus says anything from the last couple of episodes is good.

I think most of my problems with Gunbuster (few as they are) come from the pacing being weird because they only had 6 episodes to work with, come to think of it. And that isn't the case here since it's a full TV anime.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Son Ryo posted:

I heard (from a guy who I didn't bother asking for a source, so take it with a grain of salt) that the influences are 'Zeta Gundam, Gunbuster, L-Gaim, and Linebarrels'. So I'm cautiously excited for it... but given the mention of Gunbuster and Linebarrels, VERY cautiously.

Better than the influence being Star Driver itself at least.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Well, Star Driver's biggest influence was probably Utena and...we didn't get anything remotely as interesting as Utena. So even if that list was sourced it wouldn't alleviate my huge skepticism for another show by this team in the slightest.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Star Driver is why I can't get hyped about a show based on the staff's credentials any more.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'm assuming Captain Earth won't be identical to Star Driver, one way or another, but I also think some people tend to be harsher on that show than it deserved.

Either way, I will not expect anything about the new series until we get something more than a vague promotional image to discuss.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There was a translated interview posted with Igarashi and Enokido from Newtype on /m/ a few days ago. Link to the archived thread. I'm assuming it's been translated correctly, but I've no way to verify that so take with a grain of salt I guess.

Newtype Magazine posted:

The Robot Anime that Dares to Pitch Right Down the Middle

末The two of you were just working on Star Driver and its movie, but just what is this new project going to be like?

IGARASHI: Star Driver was a project about balancing "school" and "robots." So this time, we decided to try digging deeper into the 'robots' part of that. And that's how we got started with this project.

ENOKIDO: I think it's pretty risky to make another series in the same genre right away. People might start thinking we were one-trick ponies! Or that we'd lost our groove. But, with all that in mind, we wanted to try taking it to the next step this time.

末So, what sorts of things is this new project inheriting from previous works and what sorts of things are completely new?

IGARASHI: I guess you could say the themes of youth and adolescence that have shown up in my previous projects are sort of my 'life's work.' So, those themes will be a component this time and I thought I'd try my hand at some 'tear-jerking drama' too.

末Just what kind of robot anime is this going to be?

ENOKIDO: To put it simply, Star Driver was a series where robots could only move in a special, closed space called Zero Time. That was a bit of a curve ball for robot anime, but this time I thought I'd try pitching a straightforward game (lol). {tl note: I can't in2baseball so I'm sorry for butchering that metaphor}

IGARASHI: If you think of Star Driver as a story about leaving a closed space, in this project, that happens in the very first episode. Once we leave Earth for space, what happens next? I think that's one thing to look out for.

末The title is 'Captain Earth.' What does it mean exactly?

IGARASHI: I just think clear and easy-to-understand titles are nice.

ENOKIDO: I wanted to give it a more mainstream title. When it occurred to me that there wasn't any 'Captain Earth,' I thought it might work. So there's 'Captain Future' a captain from the future, and there's 'Captain America' a captain of America, but there's no captain of Earth. And its seemed perfect for the story of a boy leaving earth (lol).

IGARASHI: I was a little hung up on questions like, 'just what does "captain" mean and what kind of captain are we talking about here?' It's really a question of what it means to be an adult. And what it means to lay your life on the line for someone. This time, we wanted to center [the story] around those themes.

末I hear you've already started scouting locations. Where have your feet taken you?

ENOKIDO: (Pulling from our previous work) We wanted to to set it on a southern island. It seems rather BONES-ish, that was the thinking. BONES has made quite a few robot anime set on southern islands after all(lol).

IGARASHI: This time we took it a step further and decided to set it on a real island. So we decided on Tanegashima where the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)is located. We've been there twice to scout the location. We saw a rocket launch the second time.

末How did you feel watching the rocket launch?

IGARASHI: It was deeply moved. The conditions were so good Tanegashima locals were even saying, 'this doesn't happen very often.' Beneath the sparkling Milky Way, we could see the whole thing from take-off until it disappeared into the sky.

ENOKIDO: When the countdown hit zero, a brilliance, as bright as the sun, appeared on the ground. It was almost as bright as mid-day. And that 'sun' rose into the sky. That rare sight of those noctilucent clouds gleaming in the night sky left a real impression on me.

末I'm looking forward to seeing how this location is used in the story.

IGARASHI: I'm so happy that I can keep making original works in this day and age. And mecha anime is sort of a special genre of animation末there's a lot of staff involved and a lot of elements [in general]. I think it's [a genre] full of the feelings of a greater number of staff. So I've been whole-heartedly focused on how to convey all of those feelings on the screen.

ENOKIDO: This time, I'm planning to challenge [the audience] with such a simple robot gimmick that it'll make everyone wonder why no one's done it yet. But, the 'strike-zone' that'll make people go, 'now THIS is mecha anime!' is a little different [from what we're doing]. I'm facing the difficulty of doing that and pitching straight down the middle at the same time.

IGARASHI: We've gotta throw fast balls straight over home plate hard enough to blow the catcher away. That's the issue Enokido and I are facing right now.

BONES WATCH!
"If I hadn't joined BONES, I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to make mecha anime. This time we plan to have the robots drawn by hand again. I think I have the opportunity to take up that challenge over and over thanks to BONES as well." (Igarashi)

"The first thing I worked on at BONES with director Igarashi was Ouran Host Club. It was based on a shoujo manga, playing to our personal strengths. But, BONES's forte is definitely mecha anime. Since we went to Tanegashima, I wanted to see a rocket launch. And since I'm working at BONES, I figure I should be making mecha anime. Something like that (lol)." (Enokido)

I don't know that I'd really be that excited myself since it just sounds like more of the same to a large degree, but maybe they learned from the criticism of Star Driver and will inject a bit more tension in to it and end it a bit better at least.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Captain Earth sounds like the '70s super robot anime based on Captain Planet that never happened. I'm pretty sure only me and Mercury Crusader would watch that though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That does sound pretty promising.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

HitTheTargets posted:

Captain Earth sounds like the '70s super robot anime based on Captain Planet that never happened. I'm pretty sure only me and Mercury Crusader would watch that though.

Hell yeah I'd watch the poo poo out of that :getin:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

HitTheTargets posted:

The budget would consist solely of an empty unmarked manila folder and the laughter of a man with no hope.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

HitTheTargets posted:

That depends. Is there an enemy robot that shoots endangered animals? I don't mean it goes around shooting them, I mean it has a gun that uses endangered animals for ammo.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm picturing the Grendizer vs Great Mazinger fight, but with pandas.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of that, doubly so if it has HK Subs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So Japan just did something weird but cool, it sadly is not translated (and probably won't be anytime soon) but it sure sounds interesting and maybe some thread regulars fluent in Japanese can get a kick out of reading it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

HitTheTargets posted:

I would watch this whole-heartedly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I imagine 70's Captain Earth as basically God Mars, only the component mecha are named after the Aristotelian Elements, plus heart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Zambot 3, wasn't quite as depressing as I expected since it was mostly noble self-sacrifice deaths rather than Ideon style ironic pointless deaths.

So, how high does Daitarn 3 rank on the 'kill 'em all' scale?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished Zambot 3, wasn't quite as depressing as I expected since it was mostly noble self-sacrifice deaths rather than Ideon style ironic pointless deaths.

Not even a blip.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sakurazuka posted:

Barely. It's one of Tomino's more light-hearted shows, like Xabungle.

Here's a fun game: try and find the number of things the show has in common with Big O!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

One of the parts I love about Daitarn 3 is it has this veneer of wackiness and playfulness but as the show goes on and you see more of Banjo you realize he has a barely contained seething rage under the surface. The reasons for it and way it's presented are very serious and that it's not at all a good thing for Banjo or anyone around him.

Of coarse it's all sandwiched between slapstick and jokes but it's there.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Another good thing to check out if you want to want something similar to Xabungle is Overman King Gainer. Tomino is at the helm, but surprisingly no kill 'em all tendencies show up, it is also an excellent show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly don't think I've seen any of Tomino's more light hearted stuff, I've only really got Dunbine to go and then I've seen all of his 'everyone dies shows' so I'll save them for after that.

Speaking of which, EG just started putting out subs for the Ideon BR's, well the first episode anyway.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Don't download the first episode if you haven't yet, he hosed up the encode a bit and will be rereleasing.

Bunny Hat is rereleasing Xabungle with vastly improved video too, by the way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And Overman King Gainer's blu-rays are getting released too.

IIRC EG might be getting someone to do a new translation for Ideon? I hope that's the case since those Shin-Getter subs are rather janky.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Another good thing to check out if you want to want something similar to Xabungle is Overman King Gainer. Tomino is at the helm, but surprisingly no kill 'em all tendencies show up, it is also an excellent show.

While I admittedly haven't watched King Gainer in years, I don't recall enjoying it close to as much as I did when I recently watched Xabungle. I just don't recall King Gainer being nearly as fun and funny, even if it has some sweet designs and some cool ideas. I also felt that the show didn't really do as much world-building as it should have, and you never really get a clear picture of what the rest of the world is like, what's happening to the non-Siberian places like London they mention and a really vague sense of progression and time. I do think it's worth a watch if you're a Tomino fan, I just wouldn't place it on the same level as Xabungle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Excellent is a bit of a sretch. King Gainer is pretty fun and light hearted, but the characters are all really shallow and it suffers from this weird thing where it can't decide if it wants to be a goofy slapstick slice of life episode-of-the-day comedy show or to actually have a coherent plot. It's a pretty okay time waster but it's not remotely as good as Xabungle, which manages to have a coherent plot while also doing the goofy slapstick stuff really well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

On the other hand, it gave us dancing robots and Episode 17 (I think? The one with the mind reading Overman) is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It also has one of the best modern ninjas on tv.

• Locked thread