Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Josh Lyman posted:

He was trying to convince Holden to let him hitch a ride off the station after he betrayed them. How was this unclear in any way?

Yeah I got that, but they framed the shot through his camera eye, so I was wondering if maybe he had a bigger angle. At the conclusion of this episode, I see that he did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

This show is effing awesome

Also, that guy from all the induction footage in Lost! :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Impressions of the finale:

Holden is a bitch.

Somebody said that Amos was a sociopath, but he's not. He's a survivor. Definitely my favorite character, right away he's like 'we gotta loving get out of here', no time wasted. But he also vouches for the little girl to come with the group without hesitation, and when he realizes the guy isn't her father, he commands him to take care of her anyways. He's got a heart. Everybody kinda freaked out because he shot that guy, but it was probably the right call. You don't just pull a gun on the captain, if he didn't end up shooting then he'd end up pulling his gun out as soon as something else happened he didn't agree with.

If anything Miller is a sociopath, drat. Shooting dudes for armor, starting a warfight. I did love him using other dudes as human shields though, he really doesn't give a drat.

So much explained in these episodes, really good.

Feels kinda like the ending of episode 8 should have waited for 9 instead of flashing back right away. But they wanted to end 8 on a big cliffhanger so they kinda jumped ahead. No biggie.

I like that the UN woman said "Luna" and not "the moon". Its a small but nice touch, since calling it "the moon" makes less sense when you deal with other moons frequently.

So, its not aliens, but its just some evil megacorp? But they're "saving us all" ??? Very cryptic. You'd think if they were really saving humanity they'd be able to just be honest about what they're doing, but I guess the idea is they can't do it without human sacrifice and most people wouldn't support those extreme measures? Hm.

That ending!! Haha. So the bad guys are pretty much a nanobot or nanovirus version of the flood from Halo? And the big blue stuff is like a gravemind? Really? Well, I guess that works.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

etalian posted:

I'm glad that the whole episode really went into the whole body horror for what it was like getting infected and transformed by the infection.

I gotta wonder why the gently caress they did the black spider thing in the previous episode if they were gonna go ahead and do the blue crystals out the mouth thing an episode later. Changed their minds?

Maybe the idea was it was dormant and then turning on the lights in her apartment made them grow, but that was awfully fast. They kinda retconned it between episodes, but I guess the lighting in the previous episode just kinda sucked?

Anyways this was way better. Although reading about "vomit zombies" sounds like we still missed out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Impressions of the finale:

Holden is a bitch.

Somebody said that Amos was a sociopath, but he's not. He's a survivor. Definitely my favorite character, right away he's like 'we gotta loving get out of here', no time wasted. But he also vouches for the little girl to come with the group without hesitation, and when he realizes the guy isn't her father, he commands him to take care of her anyways. He's got a heart. Everybody kinda freaked out because he shot that guy, but it was probably the right call. You don't just pull a gun on the captain, if he didn't end up shooting then he'd end up pulling his gun out as soon as something else happened he didn't agree with.

Yeah, Holden is more self-righteous than righteous in the TV show and I'm not sure I like that as much (minor niggle).

Amos isn't so much a sociopath but rather completely and utterly amoral outside of a very narrow set of criteria. There is zero gray in his ethical framework. You are a threat or you are not. You need protection or you should be able to protect yourself (kids vs. adults). You are in the "family" group he's part of or you are not.

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta wonder why the gently caress they did the black spider thing in the previous episode if they were gonna go ahead and do the blue crystals out the mouth thing an episode later. Changed their minds?

Maybe the idea was it was dormant and then turning on the lights in her apartment made them grow, but that was awfully fast. They kinda retconned it between episodes, but I guess the lighting in the previous episode just kinda sucked?

Anyways this was way better. Although reading about "vomit zombies" sounds like we still missed out.

They were dosing it with major radiation in energy levels far in excess of what it was leeching from the power conduits and reactor on the Anubis, and it seemed to get pretty active in a matter of minutes. So I'm OK with it reacting and spreading as fast as it did on Eros.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Amos is a deeply damaged person but he cares about his friends. That's the gist of it, I don't want to spoil his character development.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Well dhuuueghamn Miller, guess we've got to hide from the bad guys in

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

When they found her she was still early on in the first stage of post mortem transformation.

Pumping in energy as shown in Anubis makes the protomolecule mass grow at a extremely accelerated rate.

I'm glad to did end up being pretty gruesome similar to the book with the blue crystals growing out of her eyes and mouth.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Really great finale. I don't mind the lack of vomit zombies since they did a nice job of conveying the body horror that the protomolecule causes (certainly moreso than last week). They also do a nice job of leading the other plot threads to an appropriate point - the force behind the stealth attacks, the greater conspiratorial side of things, Avasarala's continued agency, etc. I also appreciated seeing the Rocinante crew's escape; the book really only had Holden and Miller as PoV characters so this was a good way to expand on the overall situation on Eros.

The only awkward point was not being a little clearer on how Holden and Miller were going to survive a lethal dose of radiation, but that's relatively minor in the scheme of things.

Bring on season 2!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Adam Jensen finally got augmented. :unsmith:

It's going to be a hella long wait for Season 2. :( I'll probably break down and read the rest of the books in the interim.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasarala had pretty amazing costumes the whole season.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

etalian posted:

20% of the budget went into those dresses.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

God yes. Amazing contrast to Belter poverty and jumpsuits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

flosofl posted:

They were dosing it with major radiation in energy levels far in excess of what it was leeching from the power conduits and reactor on the Anubis, and it seemed to get pretty active in a matter of minutes. So I'm OK with it reacting and spreading as fast as it did on Eros.

For everybody else that makes sense, but there were no radiation emitters in the girl's hotel room. Only Holden and Miller got dosed with radiation because they went into one of those rooms full of belters. The rest of the ship crew were fine; so how did her body get all crystal-y so fast?

etalian posted:

When they found her she was still early on in the first stage of post mortem transformation.

Pumping in energy as shown in Anubis makes the protomolecule mass grow at a extremely accelerated rate.

I'm glad to did end up being pretty gruesome similar to the book with the blue crystals growing out of her eyes and mouth.

Yeah I'm glad too, it just seems weird that the only real energy they shined on her body was like some flashlights, but between episodes 7 and 8 it goes from black spiders to full on blue crystal growths.

For the other people it makes sense, but for her not so much. Or... I guess those other scientist dudes were dosing her with bonus radiation? Yeah that makes sense. Although they weren't wearing protective clothing...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah I don't mind the rad treatment not being that clear, a big ol' pip-boy like device diagnosing the patient and maybe auto-dispensing the right treatment is fine with me. I had to kind of reach to even nit-pick about that.

This show's so drat good and I can't wait to see it with a few more episodes and what I can only assume is a slightly larger budget, the effects, sets, costumes, really everything they've put together so far have been better than we've seen in a space show since probably BSG, and I'd put it above BSG in most of those categories.

I can only hope it becomes even more like Game of Thrones with its own long-rear end intro before every episode going forward, that GoT intro has become pretty iconic and really does serve as a nice hook on the show. Of course, GoT also has way more time to work with.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

For everybody else that makes sense, but there were no radiation emitters in the girl's hotel room. Only Holden and Miller got dosed with radiation because they went into one of those rooms full of belters. The rest of the ship crew were fine; so how did her body get all crystal-y so fast?

Yeah I'm glad too, it just seems weird that the only real energy they shined on her body was like some flashlights, but between episodes 7 and 8 it goes from black spiders to full on blue crystal growths.

For the other people it makes sense, but for her not so much. Or... I guess those other scientist dudes were dosing her with bonus radiation? Yeah that makes sense. Although they weren't wearing protective clothing...

They were using some sort of laser looking thing, maybe a future radiation laser, or maybe it's like a mini Whatever-Reactor that powers the ships in this universe and they were shooting it with crazy space exhaust? But basically they were pumping it up,

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NowonSA posted:

I can only hope it becomes even more like Game of Thrones with its own long-rear end intro before every episode going forward, that GoT intro has become pretty iconic and really does serve as a nice hook on the show. Of course, GoT also has way more time to work with.

Well the pilot had a longer sequence which was pretty awesome but apparently they cut down to a greatly reduced intro which just has few notes from the full theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Finally getting to watch the episode. I don't think I remember Miller having a hand cannon that's Hellboy's smaller cousin, but I like it.

Avasarala's expanded role is also so good, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think Miller's revolver was a Mateba, a very futuristic looking revolver.

That reminds me of a question I meant to ask awhile back, what is the gun technology in this show? Bullets? Some of the other weapons kinda seemed like energy weapons, but Miller's was a revolver, but then the bullets kinda looked like energy cells?

Some sci-fi tries to avoid throwing metal slugs around in pressurized compartments so I wasn't sure if it was just bullets still or some early laser weapon tech or what.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

Finally getting to watch the episode. I don't think I remember Miller having a hand cannon that's Hellboy's smaller cousin, but I like it.

It's a real world revolver even though it looks like something out of Shadowrun:
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/75

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The delivery of "y'all look like poo poo" was perfect. I actually laughed out loud.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

etalian posted:

It's a real world revolver even though it looks like something out of Shadowrun:
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/75

This is what I was thinking of, and its straight out of ghost in the shell:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateba_Autorevolver

E: Hahaha, they were both designed by the same guy.

Fister Roboto posted:

The delivery of "y'all look like poo poo" was perfect. I actually laughed out loud.

Once again, Amos rules.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

The America's were discovered 500 years ago and colonization began almost immediately. Currently the population of the America's is a total of ~950 million. Mars is much more remote, requires expensive upkeep and is completely inhospitable to human life so 4 billion requires astronomical migration and birth rates, even accounting for modern (and future) medicine, if we assume a 2-300 year timeline.
This is exactly what's wrong with nerds and sci-fi.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I wasn't too crazy about casting choice from the actor but the actor really stepped into the role with each new episode.

Also you pretty much knew what would happen to Sentimba after he threatened Naomi with the gun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

This is exactly what's wrong with nerds and sci-fi.

You're not wrong.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

qirex posted:

Yeah when I first heard they were doing this show I thought it would be a quick run up to 4-6 episodes of generic zombie adventure and I'm glad they went the way they did. Not sure why Miller got so much more hosed up by the radiation, though. That said the effects they did show [book spoiler] make the protomolecule stuff look a lot more obviously "alien" with the glowing and that tentacle at the end than "oh poo poo some scientists made something really hosed up but it's still of human origin"

If I had to guess, it's because he's a Belter born and raised. Not growing up inside a nice, safe magnetosphere like Earth's isn't very healthful, and radiation damage tends to be cumulative, plus probably just a generally weaker constitution from the low G/lack of everything all the time

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

They were using some sort of laser looking thing, maybe a future radiation laser, or maybe it's like a mini Whatever-Reactor that powers the ships in this universe and they were shooting it with crazy space exhaust? But basically they were pumping it up,

It could have been the camera moving, but it looked to me like they were carving a piece out. Grisly but with all the other samples they were taking it made sense when I was watching it.

Chard fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 4, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also holden was UN space navy, guess they have booster shots (+screening) or whatever. Plus miller is an alcoholic. And maybe he just got a higher dose.

Also miller just lost his imaginary girlfriend to gross blue poo poo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

etalian posted:

Well the pilot had a longer sequence which was pretty awesome but apparently they cut down to a greatly reduced intro which just has few notes from the full theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUATesLdcs

Yeah I know, I'm hoping they get something like the long sequence all the time. I think the full intro was in front of the double-episode finale too.

Chard posted:

If I had to guess, it's because he's a Belter born and raised. Not growing up inside a nice, safe magnetosphere like Earth's isn't very healthful, and radiation damage tends to be cumulative, plus probably just a generally weaker constitution from the low G/lack of everything all the time

That's what I assumed. Holden was also some kind of designer baby with lots of DNA strands involved because ~future~ so he might be slightly more durable than your average earth-born human, depending on how much of a Gattaca-like genetic screening/improvement process is going on.

If they can find a Gundam and Holden instantly becomes an ace pilot in it then this show will really be going somewhere, Gundam Seed it up baby!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

That's what I assumed. Holden was also some kind of designer baby with lots of DNA strands involved because ~future~ so he might be slightly more durable than your average earth-born human, depending on how much of a Gattaca-like genetic screening/improvement process is going on.

Hm, yeah that would make alot of sense. (Book question, not really a spoiler, would be like fuckin season 7 material at this fuckin rate) why was holden not blinded by those space slugs on planet of the space slugs? I forget, I forget again.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Baloogan posted:

Hm, yeah that would make alot of sense. (Book question, not really a spoiler, would be like fuckin season 7 material at this fuckin rate) why was holden not blinded by those space slugs on planet of the space slugs? I forget, I forget again.

The anti-cancer drugs he takes as a result of being on Eros

Zaphod42 posted:

Once again, Amos rules.

"I'm going to just take this down below."

Indeed. Amos rocks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Quorum posted:

Well dhuuueghamn Miller, guess we've got to hide from the bad guys in

:perfect:

edit: Except Miller is obviously Rick in this scenario.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

When I red the books for some reason I pictured Ceres and Eros looking more like the underground PATH from toronto:

(when I was young I could go from home to downtown without going outside and would pretend I was on a space station and not in the crippling depression of feb winter)

but this is pretty spot on:

Ceres:

Eaton Center:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

20% of the budget went into those dresses.

it was worth it IMO

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are there any other good shows Avasarala's actress was in? I have to say I love her acting and voice. Perfect casting imo. I really hope there is more Avasarala-Mao interactions.... Love both those actors.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Baloogan posted:

Are there any other good shows Avasarala's actress was in? I have to say I love her acting and voice. Perfect casting imo.

As far as TV shows go, she was in half of season 4 of 24, and won an Emmy for playing Saddam Hussein's wife in an HBO movie called House of Saddam.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Well, I enjoyed the hell out of this season and SyFy's continued return. Looking forward to next season!

Zaphod42 posted:

:confused:

The design (prosthetic/mannequin?) was the same from the reveal episode to the next, it's just that we saw it actively growing and killing her (receiving energy from lights, her, etc.) in the flashback opening of the next episode. The blue crystal out of the mouth (and forehead) was there in the original reveal, as were the "fruiting body" stalks pointing out from her. When the baddies are collecting their samples from her, the body growth is still in the "black spider" phase. It's only once they start shooting it with the lasers in the final episode that the bright blue returns and becomes widespread throughout the mass.

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess the lighting in the previous episode just kinda sucked?

It's this.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 4, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKJoEO21s0

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

flosofl posted:

Yeah, Holden is more self-righteous than righteous in the TV show and I'm not sure I like that as much (minor niggle).

Amos isn't so much a sociopath but rather completely and utterly amoral outside of a very narrow set of criteria. There is zero gray in his ethical framework. You are a threat or you are not. You need protection or you should be able to protect yourself (kids vs. adults). You are in the "family" group he's part of or you are not.

I didn't like the changes to Holden at the start of the series but they're my favourite part now because of course the guy who always tries to do the right thing, consequences be damned, is going to be an insufferable rear end in real life.

I think we're just seeing Holden (and Miller) as themselves, not as the people they think they are.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

I didn't like the changes to Holden at the start of the series but they're my favourite part now because of course the guy who always tries to do the right thing, consequences be damned, is going to be an insufferable rear end in real life.

I think we're just seeing Holden (and Miller) as themselves, not as the people they think they are.

You're either some kind of genius Mr. Holden, or you're the luckiest dipshit in the solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Whew! Finished up. It's not as good as 10 Monkeys but it's pretty drat good. The best space show since you know what.

12 Monkeys, I was kidding you

• Locked thread