Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Awesome! posted:

how relevant is that though since you wont be able to friend people cross-platform i assume

Well, when I booted it up, it asked me about some sort of "Zen account" where I just linked my Steam account. I would presume PS4 users and the like would be able to do the same, and we'd be able to find each other like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
FX3 is very nice. I only played for an hour or so last night, but it's quite an improvement visually and the balls feel the same.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

iRend posted:

FX3 is very nice. I only played for an hour or so last night, but it's quite an improvement visually and the balls feel the same.

Is there an OSX version?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Definitely like familiar balls.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Did a couple score challenge things in the new Matchup mode. Pretty neat! Though none of the scores I saw were all that challenging to beat. I'm sure it gets tougher as you climb the ranks, though. Didn't play too much cause I couldn't get my controller working for some reason. Also I didn't notice much graphical changes, but I hadn't played FX2 in a while.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you had cab mode unlocked in FX2, you can auto-unlock it in FX3. Just make sure you launch FX2 once, quit out, then launch FX3, and the cab-mode code should have transferred over.

If it doesn't take right away, try it a few times. Took about six tries for it to transfer for me. Don't know if it actually took six before it worked, or it was slowness on their back end profile server that caused the delay, but it did it in the end.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Season 6 for PA finally dumped all at once on PS3.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not sure how i feel about table upgrades. i hope people still play on classic mode.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Awesome! posted:

not sure how i feel about table upgrades. i hope people still play on classic mode.

Yeah I am not really into the unlockable upgrades either but I understand that they are trying to appeal to a wider playeebase.

The ET and Back to the Future tables are pretty great. Jaws hasn't really clicked for me yet but I like how clean the layouts for the new tables are. They look really simple at first but have a lot of depth once you start going through missions.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Honestly, I like the upgrade system. It seemed weird to me, but since these tables aren't "real" pinball tables anyway, putting another spin on the concept by allowing the player to selectively enhance certain parts of the game for bigger scores isn't too blasphemous either, and I think it adds an interesting bit of strategizing into the mix.

Of course, because Zen is a good company, they give the player the option of not using them and leaderboards for that as well so everybody can be happy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What's the deal with the football table in Pinball FX? I don't see it in the list of "stuff we couldn't get the license for to transfer over", but it also just doesn't appear to be in FX3

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they say they are planning on bringing the generic zen version to fx3 but they need to do some work on it first. they lost the licenses for the real team versions awhile ago

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

they say they are planning on bringing the generic zen version to fx3 but they need to do some work on it first. they lost the licenses for the real team versions awhile ago

Cool. I have zero attachment to any actual clubs, but the generic Zen version was my most-played table in FX2.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pro tip for anyone getting FX3: as soon as you start the game, turn off "Menu Voiceover" in audio and "Guide Character" in UI because HOLY poo poo that goddamn reject from "Sci-Fi Game Of War Clone #2341" will NOT. SHUT. UP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheMcD posted:

Honestly, I like the upgrade system. It seemed weird to me, but since these tables aren't "real" pinball tables anyway, putting another spin on the concept by allowing the player to selectively enhance certain parts of the game for bigger scores isn't too blasphemous either, and I think it adds an interesting bit of strategizing into the mix.

Of course, because Zen is a good company, they give the player the option of not using them and leaderboards for that as well so everybody can be happy.

I am the target market for this stuff. I really enjoy the timed score attack matchup thing, and the challenges give me something to shoot for. There's a bit more here than just the leaderboards from FX2. I like.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Man, I burn out on the PFX games, but the new lighting is sharp as hell. These games look great.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Fathom is out on TPA on PC, Mac, and mobile. It's one of my favorite solid states, so I'm happy to see it in digital form.

Below is the table hint for the next table. I'm pretty stumped on this one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Still haven't gotten around to buying Season 6, at this rate I may just skip over it for now and buy Season 7 because it's been getting nothing but great tables so far. Season 6 was pretty dire, like maybe worse than Season 2

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MajorMarcus posted:

Fathom is out on TPA on PC, Mac, and mobile. It's one of my favorite solid states, so I'm happy to see it in digital form.

Below is the table hint for the next table. I'm pretty stumped on this one.

People have found that that's a re coloured face from the ghost busters logo eg:

Assuming it isn't GB reskin, people also think Gottlieb Spirit

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
People have "found" that? It wasn't glaringly obvious at first glance?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People have "found" that? It wasn't glaringly obvious at first glance?

Some people were born after the 80s.

Yes, I know, it scares me too

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ran into a notable drawback with Pinball FX3 as opposed to FX2, and that's just performance on my laptop. I found out disabling vsync actually gives a major performance bump on this one, too, so at least I'm averaging about 40-60 FPS now as opposed to actually dipping below 30 FPS on some tables, but it strains my laptop more than Overwatch does even at its bottom settings, which is odd.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I was so preoccupied with whether or not I could that I didn't stop to think if I should.

I am never playing this table again. It's really, really poo poo. To think that this happened just because I wanted to beat a friend's high score... of about 3 million. Then, things... escalated.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MajorMarcus posted:

It's nice to see something that hasn't bought into Hollywood's pro-mermaid bias. :patriot:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

King Vidiot posted:

Still haven't gotten around to buying Season 6, at this rate I may just skip over it for now and buy Season 7 because it's been getting nothing but great tables so far. Season 6 was pretty dire, like maybe worse than Season 2

s6 is what made me stop buying seasons until the whole thing is out. it is real bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, Eight Ball Deluxe is great, Jacks Open and Centigrade are fine EM tables but when that's the best thing you can say for a season then it's pretty bad. I may just buy those two packs sometime.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Holy crap there is a lot of stuff in FX3.

There's probably loads of tables that I won't replay as much as I had on FX2, but this is pretty cool for the tables I do like.

I already have a bunch of you, but since I can see this renewing my interest for a bit - add for more TPA and FX2/3 friends.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BeatnikFilmstar/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheMcD posted:

I was so preoccupied with whether or not I could that I didn't stop to think if I should.
I am never playing this table again. It's really, really poo poo. To think that this happened just because I wanted to beat a friend's high score... of about 3 million. Then, things... escalated.

Congrats! How long was the run? What was your method?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Discendo Vox posted:

Congrats! How long was the run? What was your method?

In total, it took me about three hours to pull this off, but the run itself was never really long. The non-challenge game where I pulled that score off was about... eh, I'd say ten minutes long.

The method is dead simple, because this table was designed by imbeciles. If you combo the left loop and the right ramp ad nauseam, the fifth combo shot and all following combo shots will be worth 2 million a pop. This is grossly imbalanced and makes ridiculous scores easy as long as you can combo. If you use upgrades, grind a bit to get the combo time bonus up to make it easier to combo, and rank up the score boost wizard power, then you can have many 4 million combo shots, which is even more ridiculous.

Like I said, this took me three hours. I never even played this table before, and it took me about ten minutes to learn how to break it in half, then the rest of the time practicing the combo shots (which are fairly difficult, mind - the left loop is quite a gently caress of a shot) and executing the runs.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Similarly, I may as well put myself out there for folks looking to have another PinGoon on FX3, as relatively amateurish as I am.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/arbco/

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I guess I could also go for a second round of adding people. If anybody wants to have another name on their list, feel free to add me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/themcd/

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

add me if you are bad so i can feel better about my lovely scores http://steamcommunity.com/id/sa_awesome/

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

TheMcD posted:

In total, it took me about three hours to pull this off, but the run itself was never really long. The non-challenge game where I pulled that score off was about... eh, I'd say ten minutes long.

The method is dead simple, because this table was designed by imbeciles. If you combo the left loop and the right ramp ad nauseam, the fifth combo shot and all following combo shots will be worth 2 million a pop. This is grossly imbalanced and makes ridiculous scores easy as long as you can combo. If you use upgrades, grind a bit to get the combo time bonus up to make it easier to combo, and rank up the score boost wizard power, then you can have many 4 million combo shots, which is even more ridiculous.

Like I said, this took me three hours. I never even played this table before, and it took me about ten minutes to learn how to break it in half, then the rest of the time practicing the combo shots (which are fairly difficult, mind - the left loop is quite a gently caress of a shot) and executing the runs.

my high score on that table is somewhere in the $300 million range. the combo is actually dumb. The best way to score is to upgrade the autoparts. Each upgrade is $25 million a pop. The crankshaft is really easy once to figure out how to toss the ball back and forth between the pistons.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there some weird bug on Sorcerers Lair or something? I played the other day for maybe 15 minutes and ended up with a 300,000,000+ score. I'm not even sure how it really happened, I wasn't paying attention to the scoring and was surprised when the end of match totals came up.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there some weird bug on Sorcerers Lair or something? I played the other day for maybe 15 minutes and ended up with a 300,000,000+ score. I'm not even sure how it really happened, I wasn't paying attention to the scoring and was surprised when the end of match totals came up.

If you get a lot of Obsidian Stones (awarded for successfully finishing a mode) when you go to the wizard mode you get a poo poo tonne of points.

devmechanic
Oct 21, 2008
Hey, long time lurker here, but I finally have something to contribute! I'm looking for some feedback on this app that we developed. We're still in the pre-launch phase, and tightening up a few things, but good enough for a preview

It allows you to find gaming machines (video arcade cabs, pinball, midway) in your area. Search for places in a specific map area and filter locations based on a specific game.

Here's the link to the app:

http://arcadepla.net/app

We're continuously working to improve this so any feedback is greatly appreciated! One thing we're currently working on is getting data up to date and accurate.

Thank you, goons

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

devmechanic posted:

Hey, long time lurker here, but I finally have something to contribute! I'm looking for some feedback on this app that we developed. We're still in the pre-launch phase, and tightening up a few things, but good enough for a preview

It allows you to find gaming machines (video arcade cabs, pinball, midway) in your area. Search for places in a specific map area and filter locations based on a specific game.

We're continuously working to improve this so any feedback is greatly appreciated! One thing we're currently working on is getting data up to date and accurate.

Thank you, goons

I checked Toronto and it looks like it's mostly cribbed from what's on Pinside, but a lot of that info is old too?

Der-Wreck has bequeathed upon me curation of the Toronto Pinball Map and I've been spending the past few weekends wandering around town updating the locations. I'm far too lazy to maintain two or even three maps, but feel free to copy it from there yourself. Anything with a star logo has been updated recently, the "pin" (lol) logos haven't been verified recently and might be outdated.

devmechanic
Oct 21, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

I checked Toronto and it looks like it's mostly cribbed from what's on Pinside, but a lot of that info is old too?

Der-Wreck has bequeathed upon me curation of the Toronto Pinball Map and I've been spending the past few weekends wandering around town updating the locations. I'm far too lazy to maintain two or even three maps, but feel free to copy it from there yourself. Anything with a star logo has been updated recently, the "pin" (lol) logos haven't been verified recently and might be outdated.

Thanks for the data source! I'll see what I can update in that region. Pinball locations are great, though we track all machine types as well

The data we collect is obtained from the crowd, and it can be outdated and incorrect...we'll try to fix it up and keep it current

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

devmechanic posted:

Thank you, goons

This kind of stuff is cool, I always check the Pinball Map app when I'm exploring a new area.

I uploaded all the locations I operate pinballs at, good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ran into a notable drawback with Pinball FX3 as opposed to FX2, and that's just performance on my laptop. I found out disabling vsync actually gives a major performance bump on this one, too, so at least I'm averaging about 40-60 FPS now as opposed to actually dipping below 30 FPS on some tables, but it strains my laptop more than Overwatch does even at its bottom settings, which is odd.

I've noticed this too. I feel like I'm still jiggering settings to get rid of the occasional pop of slowdown but it kind of sucks and puts me off of playing the game.