Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Those drystars are a bit more than I was hoping, but they sound nice. I'm ok with not-overpants. Does the protection stay in place nicely? And are they comfortable up to 90-ish for Chicago summers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Need to replace my alpinestars air flow jacket. If I could get another one just like it, I would in a heartbeat. It has tons of protection while keeping me cool and comfortable in 90F weather. I considered the revit airwave or a modern a* mesh jacket, but it seems like they don't cool as well. My modern a* mesh pants are terrible at airflow for what they are.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an ARC Battle Born adv jacket, based on features. It's reportedly comfortable with all vents open at 80F, but 80 isn't very hot to begin with.
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/battle-born-adventure-motorcycle-gear/
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...aign=thirdparty

Anyone know of anything with holy grail level airflow that doesn't cost hundreds?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dutymode posted:

Those drystars are a bit more than I was hoping, but they sound nice. I'm ok with not-overpants. Does the protection stay in place nicely? And are they comfortable up to 90-ish for Chicago summers?

Yeah, the armor stays in place fine. No, you'll probably be uncomfortable in Chicago summer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coydog posted:

Need to replace my alpinestars air flow jacket. If I could get another one just like it, I would in a heartbeat. It has tons of protection while keeping me cool and comfortable in 90F weather. I considered the revit airwave or a modern a* mesh jacket, but it seems like they don't cool as well. My modern a* mesh pants are terrible at airflow for what they are.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an ARC Battle Born adv jacket, based on features. It's reportedly comfortable with all vents open at 80F, but 80 isn't very hot to begin with.
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/battle-born-adventure-motorcycle-gear/
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...aign=thirdparty

Anyone know of anything with holy grail level airflow that doesn't cost hundreds?

I dunno about holy grail level, but I really like my firstgear mesh jacket. Stitching and construction is solid, definitely a huge jump up from my Xelement mesh jacket. Armor inserts feel pretty beefy too. Never tested it, thankfully, but I think it'd do pretty well for itself protection wise, and the cooling is top notch. Especially if you wear it while it's 35° out like I accidentally did this morning :ohdear:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dutymode posted:

Any suggestions for a decent pair of pants for sport touring for under $200? It's about time I stopped using these crappy Cyclegear overpants.

I really enjoyed my Dainese Drake Airs before I swapped over to leather, but they're $260-ish.

$200-$300 is probably a better range to look in for pants IMO but ymmv.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The left thumb of my nice Dainese gloves tore out the other day. I guess it was from my super hardcore max performance turn signaling. The gloves are all comfortable and broken in and they aren't damaged anywhere else, so I don't want to just throw them out. What's the best way to repair this?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Send them to the d-store and get em fixed.

Or if you have heavy thread and a leather needle stitch em up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can't really repair gloves like that and expect them to hold up in an accident - too much stitching in the seams on thin leather. Just suck it up and go to Helimot. I'll be there on Saturday sometime!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The left thumb of my nice Dainese gloves tore out the other day. I guess it was from my super hardcore max performance turn signaling. The gloves are all comfortable and broken in and they aren't damaged anywhere else, so I don't want to just throw them out. What's the best way to repair this?

It's not on the seam, is it? Probably best to get a proper patch sewn on.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
This is going to be a really odd and specific request, but I figure I'll take a shot in the dark. If anyone has a crashed RF1200 in MD, I'd like to buy it from you. I have an idea in mind for a project, but I don't want to tear my own helmet apart :v:

Random fitment info for some 2016 suit updates for anyone who may be looking for a 1pc this season:

My stats
I'm 5'8", 150-160lb (varies month-to-month), ~32-33" waist, ~38" chest, skinny build (no calves/quads/arms), "standard" shoulders (not overly narrow or wide - don't have the measurement handy). I typically wear a size 50 in A/S & Dai's ~$1500 suits (the only reason I mention the price is because the 'entry-level' suits like the Motegi and Chrono aren't as aggressively cut, so you can sometimes size down).

2016 Alpinestars Atem Suit
Runs a bit small. In a 50, it's a pretty drat tight fit, but fairly close to ideal. I'd be able to squeeze a low profile back protector in, but I'd have to do some serious conditioning to the leather and maybe aerobics or crossfit in the suit to break it in. It has Alpinestars' hip protectors in it, so the waist area is a bit bulky. Nice suit though and I imagine it would be good once it's broken in.

2016 Dainese Laguna Seca D1
Runs a full size small. In a 50, the thing is loving painted onto my body. The stretch panels on the knees were fully extended while I was sitting on a bike (without raised rearsets - so it'd pull even more if you had aftermarkets). No room for a back protector. It uses Dainese's proshape hip protectors, which frankly I like more than A/S' - they're much lower profile and extremely flexible (as in, you could almost squeeze them into a ball). Same armor they use in their jeans. I didn't have a chance to try on a 52, but my only concern is that the shoulders on the 52 may be a bit too wide. I'll throw one on next week. Overall, I really, really like the suit. Though it's obviously not kangaroo, it uses Dai's highest quality leather (Tutu, they call it). Great cut for a slim build, and though I'm not aggressive/fast/lanky enough to use them, it's nice to have elbow sliders on a reasonably priced suit.

Since 2016 stuff is starting to trickle in, let me know if there's anything (suit or otherwise) that you guys would like fitment or impressions on. I've also tried on the X-14 and new Bell Star (not the Race Star or Pro Star), but I didn't take detailed notes so I'll get back to y'all with full details soon. My brief impressions were that the X-14 isn't spectacular enough for me to want one (I'd take a Corsair X over it) and I have some qualms with the interior of the Star.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Anyone know any good ways to sell used gear online besides ebay? I've got some Dianese Delta Pro Evo pants I've unfortunately grown out of. They're still in great condition, never been crashed, so I figured I could get some money out of them to put towards something.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Betty posted:

Anyone know any good ways to sell used gear online besides ebay? I've got some Dianese Delta Pro Evo pants I've unfortunately grown out of. They're still in great condition, never been crashed, so I figured I could get some money out of them to put towards something.

What size?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Local fb bike groups and CL.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I need new gloves. I've got super warm gloves for winter weather, but lost one of my summer gloves. So I guess I need mid-warmth gloves for the pacific northwest for spring/summer/fall.

Any recommendations? I do street riding, and would like something that still gives me some control. Nothing with inner liners or anything, I've got warm gloves for that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

I need new gloves. I've got super warm gloves for winter weather, but lost one of my summer gloves. So I guess I need mid-warmth gloves for the pacific northwest for spring/summer/fall.

Any recommendations? I do street riding, and would like something that still gives me some control. Nothing with inner liners or anything, I've got warm gloves for that.
Price range? There are a bunch of different options, depending how much you need to spend.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-dominator-gtx-gloves

These have suited me well for the chilly mornings/evenings in the PNW and are waterproof more or less. Shorter cuff but a solid retention system. Has a liner but I hardly notice it. I'm a Revit fan when it comes to gloves. Have a few different ones. These are p great for fall/spring/rain.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Any have have any recommendations for summer mesh gloves? Something without a cuff but has impact protective bits on the knuckles and whatnot.

I like my current gloves, but getting cuffed leather on and off sweaty hands is a non-starter when it's hot and humid out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Price range? There are a bunch of different options, depending how much you need to spend.

<$100 preferably. But I can go above that if need be, to $150.

I looked at these, they felt really nice and supple while being warm at the same time. Plus some decent scrape protection.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/104-717

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 3, 2016

Betty
Apr 14, 2008

Size 50

M42 posted:

Local fb bike groups and CL.

Good idea. I live in a super small town but maybe some of the neighboring ones will have some groups.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

I looked at these, they felt really nice and supple while being warm at the same time. Plus some decent scrape protection.

Roland Sands strikes me as a company more interested in pushing their fashion and the brand name rather than concentrating on making a solid functional product. I don't think I'd buy those over a pair of Revit or A* or Dainese gloves in the same price range.

Also you'll get the best bang getting something from Revzilla's closeout section: http://www.revzilla.com/closeout-motorcycle-gloves
(Always buy from Revzilla)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

OSU_Matthew posted:

Any have have any recommendations for summer mesh gloves? Something without a cuff but has impact protective bits on the knuckles and whatnot.

I like my current gloves, but getting cuffed leather on and off sweaty hands is a non-starter when it's hot and humid out.

I like my Held sambia gloves. Not the biggest protectors on the fingers, but one of the few light shorty gloves I found that had proper heel sliders. They're pure summer gloves though, they got much ventilation.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-hero-gloves I wear these year round in socal

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-corozal-drystar-gloves

or

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-boxxer-h2o-gloves

I lean towards the Alpinestars because the pinky seam is protected, but they're both quality gloves for the price.

OSU_Matthew posted:

GP Airs are unquestionably my favorite mesh gloves this year. Great price, protected pinky seam, outer palm protection, and :siren:dual closure:siren:. I've talked about it a million times, but I'd never buy a glove that isn't dual closure (or similar system) because otherwise the glove has way too high of a chance to just come off your hand in a crash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: ^^^^^so yeah the Celer I like are the one step below Inu's recommendation.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I have a pair of AlpineStars Celer gloves that would fit your requirements perfectly. Cuff goes down far enough to cover your wrist bones but they aren't gauntlets, and they're ventilated everywhere. Good solid palm padding, big heavy duty knuckle piece, and the A* thing where they stitch the ring and little finger together, which I think is pretty cool. Recommended.

btw, I have long thin fingers. A* stuff fits me perfectly but if you're a sausage hands kind of guy YMMV.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-celer-gloves

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 3, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The A* Drystars are pretty good for 45-60 degree weather. They do have insulation but it's not too much.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ended up going for these guys:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...FUyaRoC6wHw_wcB

Road with them for about 30 miles through twisty stuff, they worked really well.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

These are more expensive than and inferior to the FG-17, but if they're your thing they should be shipping sometime later this month:

Iron Man

Captain America

Punisher

edit: I'm exhausted and left out the fact that the Iron Man helmet is an IS-17, which has an internal sun visor, so it's more expensive than a CL-17. And it's Iron Man, so that's why it's $250.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 6, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tony Stark dont gently caress with no base model poo poo

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I bought a ten year old, 100,000mile Aerostich Darien jacket off of ADVRider for $100. It arrived Monday. I absolutely love it.

I simply cannot believe this jacket has seen that many miles or is ten years old. Nobody will believe me when I tell them it's ten years old. Aerostich makes some top-notch quality gear. I'm absolutely astounded by the fit and the feel. It fits me like my gloves do. I don't even notice the padding in the shoulders and arms, and the back pad is only just present, not uncomfortable. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. My Firstgear Jaunt T2 feels bulky and clunky by comparison.

The only thing wrong is that the two wrist cuff and one underarm vent zipper sliders need to be replaced. New sliders from Aerostich are on the way.

By far the best bike-related purchase I have yet made.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Beach Bum posted:

I bought a ten year old, 100,000mile Aerostich Darien jacket off of ADVRider for $100. It arrived Monday. I absolutely love it.

I simply cannot believe this jacket has seen that many miles or is ten years old. Nobody will believe me when I tell them it's ten years old. Aerostich makes some top-notch quality gear. I'm absolutely astounded by the fit and the feel. It fits me like my gloves do. I don't even notice the padding in the shoulders and arms, and the back pad is only just present, not uncomfortable. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. My Firstgear Jaunt T2 feels bulky and clunky by comparison.

The only thing wrong is that the two wrist cuff and one underarm vent zipper sliders need to be replaced. New sliders from Aerostich are on the way.

By far the best bike-related purchase I have yet made.

you're riding in ten years of accumulated grey beard ball sweat

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Razzled posted:

Lol

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

I made sure to pee on it to mark my territory.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was impressed with the darien I tried on but it didn't fit right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

well, duh. that's why the material is so well preserved

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Why would there be ball sweat on a jacket?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Keket posted:

Why would there be ball sweat on a jacket?

After the age of 50, they start descending below the knees. It's better to heave them over your shoulder instead of having them dangle down a pant leg and touching the exhaust or the chain.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm glad the bike newbie is providing so much entertainment material for you grizzled veterans :D

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beach Bum posted:

I'm glad the bike newbie is providing so much entertainment material for you grizzled veterans :D

Grizzled veterans is what you can call the mix of sweat and old man skin cheese coating your jacket.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
lol if you don't buy pre-worn jackets so you can look down on all the other riders in their shiny new leathers

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is why I only buy used knee pucks.