Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Apologies for being late on this. I now have a new LP project that takes a lot of my time. If you're interested, look in my post history for the thread. I don't want to post a direct link here unless Leave says ok.

Lakitu Alphonsa's Missed Monsters Update 7:

Greetings, fans of this Final Fantasy VI LP! Lakitu Alphonse, here once again!

- And I'm here also!

- Today we bring you the missed monsters from the Kohlingen area of the World of Ruin and Darrill's Tomb! Ultros?

- I'm proud to say I catalogued a few of these in the field myself!

---
World of Ruin (Kohlingen Area)
---

Bogy

Level: 29 HP: 1318 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 15 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 102 Magic Defense: 153 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: None
Elemental Absorptions: None
Status Immunities: None
Steal: Hi-Potion Rare Steal: NA
Drop: NA Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 532 Gold: 1200
Game Commentary: There's nothing meaner than a junkyard Bogy, but he'll only come at you with direct physical attacks.
Lakitu's Commentary: Turning these dogs into Imps is a bad idea, as evidenced by my assistant's bruises. Otherwise, they are usually not difficult to put down.
---

Marchosias

Level: 29 HP: 1418 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 19 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 102 Magic Defense: 153 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Wind.
Elemental Absorptions: Immune to Earth attacks because they're flying.
Status Immunities: Imp, Petrify, Death, Confuse, Meteor Strike, Stop, Slow, Sleep, and Critical Hits.
Steal: NA Rare Steal: Phoenix Down
Exp: 449 Gold: 909
Game Commentary: Attacks with the wind spell Aero, and revives with Pearl Wind.
Lakitu's Commentary: AKA Harpiai, these birds are usually found in the woods north of Kohlingen. Their wind attacks will blow you away. Perversely, their weakness is also wind.
---

Deepeye

Level: 28 HP: 1334 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 14 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 100 Magic Defense: 150 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Fire
Elemental Absorptions: None
Status Immunities: Imp, Sleep.
Steal: Eyedrops Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 385 Gold: 485
Game Commentary: A foe with an immense eye. Sends you to sleep with Dreamland. Wait a while and it'll run away.
Lakitu's Commentary: This creature appears on an island northwest of Kohlingen. We have the Falcon, so I included him. Watch out for Deepeyes as they can inflict both Sleep and Petrify on characters. They usually appear in groups too.
---

Mousse

Level: 28 HP: 900 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 11 Magic: 10 Speed: Evasion: 0
Defense: 110 Magic Defense: 105 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: None
Elemental Absorptions: Takes no damage from wind, poison, water, holy, or earth.
Status Immunities: Everything except Slow, Stop, and Meteor Strike.
Steal: NA Rare Steal: Magicite
Exp: 189 Gold: 287
Game Commentary: Slows down adversaries with Gunk, and revives allies with Pep Up.
Lakitu's Commentary: Obviously not the French dessert. Hard to run away from and die if reduced to 0 MP.

---
Darrill's Tomb
---

- We got most of the monsters here. Cloudwraith, Marlboro, Exoray, Angler Whelk, and Dullahan will be in Lord Bowser's next update along with the Tentacles that were the boss in Figaro Castle. The monsters from the Tomb we missed were:

---
Borghese

Level: 30 HP: 1584 MP: 250
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 45 Magic: 10 Speed: 35 Evasion: 0
Defense: 105 Magic Defense: 140 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Fire, Holy, Healing.
Elemental Absorptions: Poison.
Status Immunities: Death, Blind, Poison, Zombie, Sleep, Petrify, Imp, Silence, Berserk.
Steal: NA Rare Steal: Amulet (prevents Zombie)
Drop: Amulet Rare Drop: Holy Water
Exp: 510 Gold: 716
Game Commentary: A fierce, 4-armed warrior. Zombifies enemies with Zombite.
Lakitu's Commentary: AKA Orog. These guys are nasty undead. They only appear in the first room of the Tomb, but usually show up in pairs and can take two actions per turn. This and their Zombite makes them the most dangerous enemy in the Tomb, possibly. Grab their Amulets to prevent gaining ghastly gray skin, shambling gait, and intense desire for brains.

---
Skeletal Horror

Level: 30 HP: 1584 MP: 143
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 45 Magic: 10 Speed: 33 Evasion: 0
Defense: 115 Magic Defense: 155 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Fire, Holy
Elemental Absorptions: Poison, Healing
Status Immunities: Death, Zombie, Blind, Imp, Poison, Berserk, Petrify, Silence, Sleep.
Steal: NA Rare Steal: Remedy
Drop: NA Rare Drop: Holy Water
Exp: 770 Gold: 542
Game Commentary: Turns enemies into zombies with Fossil.
Lakitu's Commentary: Another Undead enemy that can inflict Zombie status. That seems to be a theme of the Tomb. AKA Osteosaur. Dies at 0 MP. Their normal reaction to Healing may be a bug.
---

- 'And we're done! For this update.'

- 'Yep. By the way, this isn't my only job now. I might see you guys again soon. Remember- be nice to octopi! Outa here!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the deal with that floating sword by the Borghese's knee? Doesn't look like he's holding it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think it's supposed to be a sheathed sword that's tied to the scabbard above it, I've seen something like that in some art.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Yeah, I always assumed a samurai-esque two sword setup.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'll get an update out for you guys tomorrow night or so. I was going to update earlier this week, but then I got sick.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Leavemywife posted:

I'll get an update out for you guys tomorrow night or so. I was going to update earlier this week, but then I got sick.

Hope you're feeling better, man!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Get well soon, Leave. We look forward to your work and are patient. :)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leavemywife posted:

Don't push yourself if you aren't feeling well.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

achtungnight posted:

Get well soon, Leave. We look forward to your work and are patient. :)
He's sick. He's the patient, not us.

(get well, leave, and take all the time you need!)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Fifty Two: Bah Humbug, Bah Humbaba

Howdy folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we rescued the Falcon from Darill's Tomb and got our airship back. Today, we're going to go pick up Terra, who was voted first to be recruited back, so let's roll.

But first, there's a special stop we have to make.

Wholly unnecessary, I'll grant, but I'll be goddamned if I'm not doing it.

That might just look like a little group of trees, but there's a great secret hidden in here.

And not just a crappy little house. Oh, no, far from it.

No, it's not Banon. I'm okay with that. We don't need him back.

In case you've forgotten, Master Duncan was believed dead.

If you remember when we first met and recruited Leave, it was when we were fighting Vargas, Duncan's son and pupil, who boasted about having bested his father.

We were definitively told that you were pretty fuckin' dead, man.

Then again, considering the beating we laid on Vargas, I'd have been disappointed to find out that Leave's master was killed by that punk.

Apparently, tears make Duncan able to fly. Too bad he didn't teach that one to Leave.

:allears:

Duncan is loving fantastic and I would trade Han for him in a heartbeat.

Just look at that fuckin' guy! It's amazing he doesn't go punch Kefka in the dick himself.

But, this is why we stopped over here first.

We're picking up Leave's ultimate Blitz.

Which Duncan teaches to Leave by having them beat the poo poo out of each other.

I don't know what happens when they leap into the air, but I'm assuming some Dragon Ball Z poo poo.

In the original English translation, it was the Bum Rush. I kind of like that name better, but I honestly cannot tell you why.

But first, strike a pose!

Now, there is another way to get this Blitz, but you have to get Leave to level 70 to learn it naturally, which, frankly, gently caress that.

The Phantom Rush is fantastic, though. It's based off of Leave's Magic stat, ignores Defense, and is non-elemental, so there ain't poo poo that's going to resist it. It's incredibly powerful and the only downside is that it hits one foe at a time.

We can talk to Duncan again, but that's all we get. However, if you remember when we were on the way to Mt Kolts, we stopped by this cabin and Remain realized that Leave had been staying there.

With that done, let's go find Terra.

Or, rather, pick up Terra.

Well, Humbaba hasn't turned this place into a pile of ash yet.

Terra, get out here and get in my party!

The pregnant lady?

He did a lot more than that, kiddo.

Oh, don't be a dick to the pregnant lady. It doesn't end well.

Don't ask how I know that.

Yes, I am. You'll be abandoned again.

The others ask that same question, so let's go find Terra.

Who is not in her bedroom.

Quickly, to the other building we can enter!

Eat me, dog, I've got poo poo to do.

Well, you nut the hell up, take care of her, and be a good dad. It's not that difficult.

Thankfully, Terra has this area for Katarin to give birth in.

Lemme tell you, birth is a messy process and the children don't need to see it.

Eh, he's just scared. And who can blame him? You've got an ancient evil prowling around your village, most of the people in the world are dead, and God only knows what else is lurking out there.

Which is fair enough. I know when my wife (fiance at the time) told me she was pregnant, I had an interior freakout.

No, they're not freaking out over Duane accepting responsibility. There was a loud noise outside and the ground shook.

Good. I need to get some revenge.

Oh, believe me, we got this.

Honestly, bud, if Humbaba kills these guys, you should probably just take yourself out. It'll be much easier that way.

Uh, same for you, too. I don't know what Humbaba eats, but I'm going to guess newborns are probably a delicacy to him.

Not that they have to worry about that.

We're going to go stomp a mudhole in his rear end.

:ducksiren:If you want to see the fight in motion, click on a duck!:ducksiren:

Humbaba is still weak to Poison, so Bio is going to do wonderful things here.

Honestly, Han is just there. He's not going to be doing much.

Remain is kind of in the same boat.

See, Olivia and Leave are the stars of this fight.

Watch the video to get a better look at this, since it doesn't .gif well, but if you think it looks like Leave is just spinning around this guy, you're right.

I assume it's a very DBZ effect where he's actually kicking the poo poo out of him so fast we can't see it, but I kind of like the thought that he just rotates fast enough to severely injure Humbaba.

:smugdog:

Humbaba Breath is a fancy version of Sneeze.

It targets two random party members, according to the FFWiki, and it just happened to be the two that were kicking the poo poo out of him.

But, since this is Terra's schtick, we're not going to crush him like that.

We'll need a little help.

Thankfully, Terra has pulled her head out of her rear end and decided she can fight.

Still weak to Bio, and with 26,000 HP to whittle down.

Terra is Morphed for this entire fight, too, so she's going to be kicking some rear end.

Keep in mind, she has no Earrings on. She has an Enhancer, which is +7 to Magic, but I think that's the only magic boosting gear she has right now. Morph will double that damage, so it'd be 2,800 without it; if she had a pair of Earrings, it would be 7,800 damage or so.

Keep in mind, if that were the case, Terra is not only dealing double damage, but hitting a weakness to boot. Phantom Rush dealt that much damage without hitting a weakness. Phantom Rush is loving amazing.

Humbaba still has the same old attacks; Thundara, Thundaga, 1,000 Needles, and Solar Plexus, which is just a powerful attack.

And just like that, Humbaba is no longer a threat to Mobliz.

Yes, children, it's safe. Be careful where you walk, the entrails are still steaming.

The children scatter at the sight of Morphed Terra.

They don't realize they only have to fear her if they're a boss fight.

Though, with that pissed off look on her face, I'm a little intimidated and she's part of my party.

Yes, children, your Mama can turn into a monster and lay waste to whatever poor schmuck gets in her way.

Jesus, now I see why that portrait doesn't come up much.

:barf:

I think I liked it better when Terra was asking, "What is love?"

Then I could be like, "Baby don't hurt me..." and I didn't have to confront any difficult questions.

That's right, Terra, love makes you abandon those who need you.

Or maybe it forces you to make hard decisions that are for the best, even if you don't like them.

Or maybe love is something that's way out of the scope of this LP as it's extremely complicated, deep, and difficult to truly define in simple terms.

For those of you who are going to the dictionary, get outta here with that nerd poo poo.

I'm glad we got that settled, Terra. Sorry we've gotta drag you away from your surrogate family, but at least you're being dragged into another surrogate family. And Humbaba is gone, too, so they don't have to worry about that anymore.

Hey, whatever you want; I just want to kick Kefka's rear end.

There we go. Now Terra is back to her old rear end-kicking potential.

And with that, I've booted Han's rear end out of the party.

Next update, we're going to go get Wendy back, so stay tuned!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Rush all the Bums, forever.

Getting that move for the first time back in the day was just further vindication that Leave is the best character.

Spin to win.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Terra is the best and was resident rear end-kicker #1 in my party whenever possible.

On the topic of Terra, though, it's a shame that the original Dissidia decided the best point to adapt her character was from around the time she wakes up after turning into an Esper for the first time. In a game where every other character acts like they just came from the end of their stories.

New Dissidia has post-Humbaba Terra, so that's cool.

Also, Duncan owns and I refuse to believe Vargas defeated him.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, Duncan owns and I refuse to believe Vargas defeated him.

Pulling punches because it's his son, didn't take it seriously enough.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Fun fact. After she rejoins here, Morph/Trance gets a silent upgrade: It now lasts twice as long.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So did the power of love give birth to any kind of magicite?

...probably be for the better if it didn't.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

Glazius posted:

So did the power of love give birth to any kind of magicite?

...probably be for the better if it didn't.

It's a curious thing.

Made one man weep, and another man sing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I pointed this out a while ago, but you spoiled the Katarin pregnancy back in one of the first updates when those two sprites are staring at each other in the World of Balance. I'm too lazy to search for it right now and it's too late on my end.

I know you didn't ask for a vote on this, but I vote to have the LP call it "Bum Rush" instead of "Phantom Rush". Shouting "Let's phantom rush him!" isn't a thing that happens in the real world, but shouting "Let's bum rush him!" is. That's why it was probably the worst retranslation that I know about for the GBA version.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phantom Rush sounds more elegant for an ultimate skill, I think.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
But what about Sabin says "elegant"?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You make a good point.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
According to the FF Wiki, the original Japanese name for it was "Mugentobu" which literally translates to something like "illusory fighting dance".

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
You said it wasn't Banon staying at that cabin, Leave. But for the first time in years of playing this game, I finally noticed something. Duncan is just a palette swap of Banon.

Banon is secretly Duncan. This is now my headcanon and I will hear nothing that says otherwise, and it's also why Banon isn't seen in this world. He's now going by his "secret" identity.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Did she say it must be... love?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Also a bum rush sounds like a hectic gay sex party in British English. Sheds new light on what Duncan and Leave were up to.

So I also vote Bum Rush.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let's do a scary combo name.

Phantom Bum Rush!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

achtungnight posted:

Let's do a scary combo name.

Phantom Bum Rush!

Seconding this

"Hey brother, spare a dime? If you dont Ill spook ya"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Phantom Bum for short.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I like "Phantom Bum Rush" because I want to be able to call it the Ghost-rear end Hurry.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

: Looks like we're in for another round of losers who get trounced by the heroes...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Methinks you are a turtle.

: A DRAGON turtle!

Leavemywife posted:

Thankfully, these aren't Koopa turtles and don't go flying out of their shell when jumped on.

: What? That's not how turtles work! There's no way that thing is a turtle!

Chapter 13: Ruined Rabble Rousers

Prepare to be Muddled by this chubby guy's Grab.
: Yeah, no comment. NEXT!

This bizarre monstrosity Muddles with its BrainStorm.
: Confusion seems to be the order of the day. I wonder if I could confuse Green Mario into attacking Mario...

Careful or the ferocious Mad Sickle attack will leave you Muddled.
: Stop! Muddle time!

Attacks with QuartzPike and L.3 Muddle.
: Muddle? Who saw that coming? Geeze! These guys need a new gimmick!

Uses the zombifying Daze Dance to suck MP.
: PowerDemon doesn't muddle! Hooray!

A familiar foe for many FF players, the Mad Oscar can screw up your status with his Sour Mouth.
: Mad Oscar sounds like he's been eating Kammy's stew...

Spreads Doom Pollen to turn the party into Zombies.
: Fantasy Zombies are so much better than Science Zombies!

Each Tentacle's weaknesses are different, so use Edgar's AutoCrossbow and Sabin's Vacuum Wave to be safe when attacking.
Uses Seize to grab someone from the party and drain HP. He'll Discard you when he's done.
Another way of killing these off is to attack with three different types of elemental magic, then deliver the finishing blow physically.
: Wow! Wordy! And grabby! Sounds like my kind of party!

This foe's PetriBlast, Blow Fish, and El Nino attacks will keep you on your toes.
: Hmm... there's something about this guy...

Attacks with Ice 2, N. Cross, and L? Pearl, but is weak vs. fire attacks.
: This guy looks slow! I bet my Land Ship could beat him!

This battle is much like the one before. After a while Terra will jump into the fray when Phunbaba knocks a character out of battle with BabaBreath.
: Humbaba came back to lay down another beating, but lost! If only I could learn BabaBreath...

: Waitaminnit! What Angler Whelk guy! He has my claws!
: Time to get my claws back!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
ROFL! Nice one Kheldarn! Get him, Bowser! Get that Angler Whelk!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Just saw this and had to include it here, other things on the Back to Bits website are pretty cool too, could maybe even make for good avatars?

http://www.backtobits.com/#/

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Vadoc posted:

Just saw this and had to include it here, other things on the Back to Bits website are pretty cool too, could maybe even make for good avatars?

http://www.backtobits.com/#/

Nice.

On a side note, now that I've gone through this game and cleared out all the post-game content as well, I have a piece of advice, that may already have been shared:

Don't try to fill out Gau's Rage list. It is so, so very much not worth the effort. Most of the worthwhile rages are from the first part of the game, anyways.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just used a code to automatically fill the list, because gently caress getting all 256 of those.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Wow, really? There's nothing worthwhile for the Rages after the first part of the game? That's honestly a little hard to believe. though I wouldn't be too surprised if that really was the case.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Blue Magic has always been in a weird position balance-wise in any Final Fantasy. Too much, too little, overpowered, completely useless.... 6 was the second attempt at it, and I'm not certain that Squaresoft knew what they were doing with it given the fixed job system in this game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ParanoidLogician posted:

Wow, really? There's nothing worthwhile for the Rages after the first part of the game? That's honestly a little hard to believe. though I wouldn't be too surprised if that really was the case.

Gau's rages are interesting in that since you fully take on the properties of what you rage, you can literally become immune to certain bosses/enemies. Used properly, he's probably the strongest character in the game, since he has a wide range of possible immunities and resistances. That being said, in order to properly use him, you need to have encyclopedic knowledge of his rages and every boss attack, so it's pretty much an exercise in messing around with the game long after you've already mastered it.

He's also the source of some rather hilarious glitches, though I think most of the fun ones were patched out after the SNES version.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Blue Mages have rarely been as good as they were in FF5, whether due to getting overshadowed by later baseline magic that everyone has access to (6), or being tied to the Limit system (8, 10). Poor Kimhari got the worst of it... So, probably for the best that he was also the flattest main character and least story-relevant party member.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kimahri's issue is that he was Dragoon/Blue Mage, but got neither as regular abilities while the other skills were his Overdrives.

X-2 made him a better character, at least.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Saying that Gau's rages stop after the early game is saying you don't understand the pile of broken amazing that is Gau :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Just spam Stray Cat for that sweet sweet 4x damage Cat Scratch like everyone else does. Bam, easy peasy.

• Locked thread