Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed mm15 drafts and I didn't realize it was leaving modo today. There were multiple fun archetypes and the commons/uncommons were strong.

Also whoever was asking about burn sideboards, yes, molten rain is a fine card to dedicate slots to. Good against greedy decks and tron, which is popular right now. Deflecting palm is my current favorite new SB card, I added two and they've been pure gas. Best part is vines of vast wood and apostles blessing do nothing about it. I still let people cast those spells and find out the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Look everyone knows the real payoff to domain in MM1 was your opponent receiving like, way fewer faerie tokens on an Oona activation.

you also got to do 40 damage when you cast tromp instead of just 20

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

....no? It meant that half the table was always in your colors and would invariably take all of the Nameless Inversions, Hikari, Arrest, etc. Domain decks don't have to settle for anything. They take every Arrest, Pillory, Lightning Bolt, Inversion, Mirror Entity, etc. Anything that is generically good was good for their deck.

Admittedly I brainfarted on the fact that this would include Bolt, Arrest, etc., but it's not like those cards are going to get to you from around the table in a typical draft anyway, is it? Sounds like you've got the usual pick 1-3 window for universally excellent cards and then the rest of the pack to scoop up stuff that's more specialized to whatever deck is open for you. Just like usual.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Admittedly I brainfarted on the fact that this would include Bolt, Arrest, etc., but it's not like those cards are going to get to you from around the table in a typical draft anyway, is it? Sounds like you've got the usual pick 1-3 window for universally excellent cards and then the rest of the pack to scoop up stuff that's more specialized to whatever deck is open for you. Just like usual.

I'm not suggesting there's a draft group alive that would table a Lightning Bolt, but there are plenty of formats where I'd expect to see some of the more color-restrictive cards actually move a little bit. If you have two guys on the opposite sides of the table drafting everything good, you're basically not going to see anything other than, say, the cards that only work in Spirits (Waxmane, etc.). But those usually aren't enough to win; you could oftentimes get around this by forcing unpopular archetypes (RW, UR), but I feel like that's kind of missing out on the promise of the draft format.

That's not to say that's the only thing that made it a bad format in my opinion. It just wasn't really all that fun for very expensive set, which I think is a relevant consideration.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Just call WoTC Herb Dean because something something early stoppage print run MMA

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Courtesy of Chewy on IRC, it turns out Gideon is actually insane:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/16/magic-the-gathering-unveils-gideon-battle-forged.aspx

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well at least one DFC planeswalker will be played.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Holy poo poo. It's the one mana planeswalker.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:captainpop:

Holy moley.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Holy gently caress Gideon looks insane.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqycJpRdVaY

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I've been saying for years that Savannah Lions need to have a 4 mana activated indestructibility as well as a flip option. It's about time WoTC.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Holy poo poo. It's the one mana planeswalker.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=290529

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

I've been saying for years that Savannah Lions need to have a 4 mana activated indestructibility as well as a flip option. It's about time WoTC.

3. 3 mana.

This along with maybe Jace look like they'll be the ones that are worth playing entirely on their own merits and if they flip, hey, bonus!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The WoTC designers are obviously more lenient about the power value of indestructibility than I am

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

You're going to want to pack -1/-1 effects against lil' Gideon here.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This guy seems almost unreasonable, poo poo. Savannah Lions. With activated indestructible. And flips into a walker that gives you Wrath protection. Yeah, he seems good.

T1 Battlefield Forge and play Kytheon. T2 Mountain, Swiftspear, Swiftspear, swing. Then give a poo poo eatin' grin.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 17, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like how they gave him fake-Battalion. :v:

Edit: Tell me Boros 1-drops becomes a thing after Anger of the Gods and Drown in Sorrow rotate. :pray:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 17, 2015

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

does anyone else remember what a huge deal it was when they reprinted savannah lions in 8th edition

welp

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
turn 1 kytheon. turn 2 raise the alarm at their end step, and hold up a trick to save him. turn 3 swing and trigger indestructible.

Gideon is just the best, and I am glad about that. He is one of the easiest to turn on, and all three of his abilities are good. Also, his stats to CMC are good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Why the "indestructible" and "prevent all damage" redundancy?

e:To prevent non combat damage to his loyalty, I guess, and that VV

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 17, 2015

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rinkles posted:

destroy target creature vs getting blocked by something w/ lifelink

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Indestructible doesn't actually prevent damage, so it would still take the damage, and, as a planeswalker that is dealt damage, lose loyalty and then possibly die from losing all the loyalty. Same story as Gideon Jura, really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Indestructible doesn't actually prevent damage, so it would still take the damage, and, as a planeswalker that is dealt damage, lose loyalty and then possibly die from losing all the loyalty. Same story as Gideon Jura, really.

Planeswalkers turned creature take loyalty damage on top of normal damage?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I could definitely see boros being a deck in modern. You could build it to be nearly as fast as burn, but with a better top end.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Indeed, it's still a planeswalker. It's unlike Sarkhan 3, which loses its planeswalker status when he turns into a dragon. When a planeswalker takes damage they lose loyalty, no matter what other types they happen to be at the time.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Yes, although it only comes up in fringe cases because both planeswalkers that naturally turn into creatures have that prevent damage clause.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

eSporks posted:

I could definitely see boros being a deck in modern. You could build it to be nearly as fast as burn, but with a better top end.

Wild Nacatl probably means there wouldn't be an especially good reason to make a Boros deck around this guy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Indeed, it's still a planeswalker. It's unlike Sarkhan 3, which loses its planeswalker status when he turns into a dragon. When a planeswalker takes damage they lose loyalty, no matter what other types they happen to be at the time.

I was confused exactly because of KTK Sarkhan. Why does his +1 turn off his pw status?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

MM2 was an ok format but MM1 was significantly more fun to draft, imo

:agreed: with the goon with the andy dalton av

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I was confused exactly because of KTK Sarkhan. Why does his +1 turn off his pw status?

Flavor, I'm assuming. Not sure.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Wild Nacatl probably means there wouldn't be an especially good reason to make a Boros deck around this guy
You could definitely slot him in zoo yea. I could still see boros though, going for more top end and disruption.
I envision something like that sledgehammer red deck from a few standards ago that plays the beatdown vs control, but has disruption and control vs aggro with some 4 drop trump cards.

Now I just want to throw him in a deck with koth.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

eSporks posted:

Yes, although it only comes up in fringe cases because both planeswalkers that naturally turn into creatures have that prevent damage clause.

Sarkhan doesn't prevent damage even in dragon form. He stops being a Planeswalker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am kind of on the fence about how I I feel about this card.

I don't know how I feel about a legendary 2/1 though but at least the flip seems easy enough. But what turn is he reasonably flipped? 3? 4? 5? When he is flipped he is obviously removed from combat all together (so no damage), then he does gives another creature vigiliance at sorcery speed? Forces an opponent's creature to attack? He can't attack until next turn and at best its is a 4/4 without warrior tribal fuckery.

On the other hand he does seem pretty efficient though. The flip is already probably part of your gameplan if he is on the board or not.

But honestly, would savanna lions even be playable in standard with the power level of creatures today?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Flavor, I'm assuming. Not sure.

Ah I missed that one of them had the "that's still a planeswalker" rules text. Can I ask why it follows he's no longer a PW without it being explicitly stated, since a PW can obviously be a creature at the same time?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
he flips at the end of combat, he's getting in

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

When he is flipped he is obviously removed from combat all together (so no damage),
Wrong. He flips at end of combat, which is after the combat damage step.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Ah I missed that one of them had the "that's still a planeswalker" rules text. Can I ask why it follows he's no longer a PW without it being explicitly stated, since a PW can obviously be a creature at the same time?

Because the rules say so? A type changing effect that doesn't specify that it keeps its old types makes it lose them.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Rinkles posted:

Because that way when he takes damage he does not lose loyalty. Planeswalkers all have the rule "when this takes damage, remove that many loyalty counters from it" and "when this has 0 loyalty counters it dies as a SBA." In combination, that means that even if Gideon is indestructible, without damage prevention he blocks a 7/7, loses 7 loyalty and dies. Whoops.

Also, new Gideon is loving bizzonkers. I don't think it'll happen in Standard but turn 1 Gideon -> turn 2 Raise the Alarm -> turn 3 swing with all three, make Gideon indestructible if need be, flip him is totally ridiculous.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

Wrong. He flips at end of combat, which is after the combat damage step.

Well, I guess that is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

If you see the line of text "A becomes B" on a card, it means it loses all of its previously relevant types and gains those new types instead, unless the card says otherwise.

It's the difference between these two cards, basically:

• Locked thread