Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonkish posted:

So why does my crosshair keep disappearing? I have to hit Q periodically to get it back. It's not a huge issue, but it's loving annoying.

Meanwhile, I simultaneously do and do not want them to fix the MAV/SOFLAM combo. It's hilariously broken and needs to be fixed, but it's also AMAZING for pissing off pubbies.

It's :dice:s way of encouraging you to always spam Q!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

But... but I already spam Q! RELIGIOUSLY! Q IS THE JESUS OF BUTTONS. Why does :dice: have to do this to me?! :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Fuckin' same. I'd never not run PDW Support.

This to me says it's balanced as it is.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

WastedJoker posted:

Kicked for using M2 slams on the ground on zavod :picard:

What a dumb loving rule

Edit: Apparently you're only allowed 4 C4/M2 kills per round....at 1500 tickets

What a lovely server. They did you a favor banning you from there.

Some of the most fun you can have in this game is by throwing bombs everywhere and driving them into everything and everyone. I don't even hate it when I get bopped by a jihad jeep or even better, a jihad little bird. It creates tension when you spot a vehicle that seems a bit too keen on getting on you instead of past you.

Plus, it's really funny on Normal servers since everyone but the explosives' owner will die from a jihad little bird explosion, unleashing rocket launcher toting engineers on whatever other vehicles are nearby while using the victim's tank wreckage as cover.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
After 15-20 minutes of gameplay my game disconnects and I get the error message "Client closed down connection." This is with no AV and no firewall. Anyone else had a similar issue and have a fix?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

fletcher posted:

I don't care much for Silk Road but I've been having a blast with the other China Rising maps.

If you don't care for Silk Road, you clearly haven't been doing enough wookie hunting.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have to say I only play guilin of the CR maps. The rest just don't seem that fun.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How many people are listed in the credits after you beat the single player? It seemed like an insane amount of names.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I never got the crosshair bug til the last couple of days of using PDW's.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

fletcher posted:

How many people are listed in the credits after you beat the single player? It seemed like an insane amount of names.

Apperantly it's all of DICE + Visceral games.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I find myself pressing q as I'm firing at people right beside me.
It's kind of funny watching you point at someone while shooting him with your AR from your free hand.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I find myself pressing q as I'm firing at people right beside me.
It's kind of funny watching you point at someone while shooting him with your AR from your free hand.

I actually need to stop my self from spotting people at close range as it wastes that split second. I even find myself trying to spot people in other non bf games like dayz all the time, it's been ingrained in me. Totally ridiculous.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jippa posted:

I actually need to stop my self from spotting people at close range as it wastes that split second. I even find myself trying to spot people in other non bf games like dayz all the time, it's been ingrained in me. Totally ridiculous.

The vocal part can get you killed too. I have turned and killed quite a few people who snuck up on me and my squad only to decide that it would be a good idea to stop and spot everyone instead of just opening fire.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/27/5249178/report-china-bans-battlefield-4-on-grounds-of-national-security

The Ministry of Culture of the People's Republic of China has reportedly banned Electronic Arts' Battlefield 4 on the grounds that it contains content that endangers national security, according to news outlets like China.com, QQ and an article on PCgames.com.cn that has since been taken down.

The Chinese websites cite a notice the Ministry of Culture recently issued that declared Battlefield 4 illegal. China.com posted what appears to be a screenshot of the notice to its website, which translates to:

Ministry of Culture: Battlefield 4 is an illegal video game, with content that endangers national security. It is an aggressive attack on our culture. After the ban of Battlefield 4, we demand that all items related to the game — downloads, Raiders, patches and news — are to be deleted.

Polygon has reached out to EA for comment, and we have contacted the Chinese Embassy to obtain an original copy of the notice. As of this writing, Chinese social media site Weibo has banned searches for the Chinese translation of Battlefield 4. Searches for the game are met with the message: "According to relevant laws, regulations and policies, 'Battlefield 4' search results are not displayed." Users of the service have taken to referring to the game as "BF4," a term which has not yet been blocked.

:china:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I was confused at first cause multiplayer doesn't portray one side as being better than the other (unless your team is terrible :v:), then I realized they're talking about Single Player.

Simple solution for the Chinese Market: take it out. EA can sell the game again and nothing of value is lost!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I haven't played any of the single player game, how are the chinese portrayed? I would have thought dice would have a bit more tact than your usual flag waving "merica gently caress yeah" type of modern miltary game producers but then I have no idea?

I always thought BF games were actually relatively neutral because they were basically multi player and neither side was the "good guy". Like I say though, I never play the campaigns.

e - same point as snuffman

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

There was a story in the single player campaign?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jippa posted:

I haven't played any of the single player game, how are the chinese portrayed? I would have thought dice would have a bit more tact than your usual flag waving "merica gently caress yeah" type of modern miltary game producers but then I have no idea?

I always thought BF games were actually relatively neutral because they were basically multi player and neither side was the "good guy". Like I say though, I never play the campaigns.

e - same point as snuffman

The single player, in terms of what China does, is basically "Chinese military stops DEMOCRACY LOVING MODERATE from CHANGING THINGS in China by shooting everything. Also Russia is in there for some reason." A communist oligarchy generally has problems with things like that.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Couple dumb noob questions. I played BF1942 and BF2 way back when on PC and was decent but sparingly on consoles since. I decided to do BF4 on PC this go round and have just been awful now, not sure why.

1. What sensitivity/DPI are most using? I don't seem have good mouse control so I either find my aim turning like a battleship or wildly flailing around hitting anything but the mans I'm aiming for

2. For any with decent gaming mice, are there good hotkeys you'd suggest to map? I have the Logitech G700 which has something like 12 buttons but other than the standard 2 buttons for shoot and aim, nothing else set up. I figure there's got to be a better way to do it

3. Related to #2, I think someone had mentioned remapping the vehicle buttons somewhere in this thread? I'm godawful at both helicopters and jets so anything simple I'm missing can't hurt to change

4. Probably the most important question, just because playing with a team is what makes BF so great: what's the best way to play with fellow US goons? I added the LLJK tag but didn't seem to find many people when I'd search by it.

I've done the KFS whitelist for BF4 and join the Mumble channel often but both seem to be empty 99% of the time, even at peak hours. Is there a metatag I'm missing or servers that most goons hit together? FWIW my origin ID is sticksy4312
Thanks for reading my :saddowns: questions and any advice

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

The single player, in terms of what China does, is basically "Chinese military stops DEMOCRACY LOVING MODERATE from CHANGING THINGS in China by shooting everything. Also Russia is in there for some reason." A communist oligarchy generally has problems with things like that.

Yeah, it really portrays them quite negatively, and I do totally agree with why they're doing it.

I also felt uncomfortable shooting the MEC in BF2, so...yeah. :shobon:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

WastedJoker posted:

In all honesty, China Rising is very poor. It's only fun if you exploit the hairy balls out of the soflam/mav bug.

I'll chip in a reaction on the opposite side and say China Rising is pretty cool and the infantry dynamics on maps without heavy vehicle respawn/lots of dudes everywhere are amazing. I've gotten in the best firefights out of any map yet on the new ones.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Silk Road is the most fun map for both tanks and scout choppers. It was also the most fun for the SUAV back when it was still not less than worthless.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is this a known glitch or something new? Found 2 dudes in the ceiling behind this wall above D on Locker. They weren't too happy about being teamkilled. I have no patience for glitchers :colbert:

drat you really are a funhating nerd. Why teamkill people at all, why is your judgement of what's fun or not have to impede on other people's enjoyment of a game?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat you really are a funhating nerd. Why teamkill people at all, why is your judgement of what's fun or not have to impede on other people's enjoyment of a game?

Eh, I can understand it. I don't really agree, but I can understand.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Because it ruins the game for everyone else and is against the tos of the game? I don't see the difference between this and aimbots personally.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
dmr.gif

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

This is why I don't DMR.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Freinds don't let friends DMR

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
China has the lowest self esteem of any nation.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love hearing the POP POP POP POP POP of someone trying futilely to kill me at 15-20f with a DMR only to turn around and waste them with pretty much any other weapon.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I like your gifs fletcher, but you might want to work on getting them to a smaller filesize.

DMR chat: I was hating them for a while, then the other day I started messing around with the Mk11 and it clicked. ACOG with canted irons, angled grip, and a supressor has allowed me to murder a couple squads that I got the drop on. I guess you just have to remember you can't use them like an assault rifle like in 3.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DMRs require you to pick your battles a lot more selectively than any other weapon type in the game, I think, even shotguns. You can make them work, but the problem is that there's no reward in effectiveness for managing your engagement range perfectly. You'd still be better off with an assault rifle or carbine, which sucks because I love DMRs and their intended role, but sometimes I want to be an effective player.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Deeters posted:

I like your gifs fletcher, but you might want to work on getting them to a smaller filesize.

Thanks! I can definitely make them smaller, but I liked how pretty and smooth they looked. Is 15MB really too big these days?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Did they buff the attack jets or something, lately these Brazilian autist pilots get on and ruin Paracel rounds by going 40-0. It's real bad.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a good way to search for pistol-only servers? I need to grind up a few pistols, getting tired of the P226.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a good way to search for pistol-only servers? I need to grind up a few pistols, getting tired of the P226.

Put the word pistol in the search filter?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

SquadronROE posted:

Just enter the word pistol into the search box when you filter servers. It should give you a nice list of pistol and pistol/shotguns only servers.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

SquadronROE posted:

There were a bunch listed a while back.

This is my favorite if you don't mind hard core: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...S-ONLY-64-Plyr/

I'm pretty sure U-Rock has some regular pistol servers as well.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wish they would do something about that too. Goddamn there is just poo poo everywhere. Just have the distant objectives / markers fade out or scale their size relative to distance. Anything but the current clusterfuck.
That would be a nice solution. I'm really, really glad DICE is giving me all this information but they really need to fade some of it as it can become overwhelming.
Why are you hip firing a DMR doofus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

vaginal culture posted:

Did they buff the attack jets or something, lately these Brazilian autist pilots get on and ruin Paracel rounds by going 40-0. It's real bad.

There is also a factor that I swear was in BF3 and I always heard pilots bitch about. Higher ping in a dogfight makes you nigh on invincible due to hit registration at that speed in a turn.

• Locked thread