Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

The transformation took place the first volume of X-Treme X-Men, which ran between 2001 and 2004. I didn't mean to suggest he was trying to copy hentai or anything, just that it's what it ended up looking like. I mean, it takes place during a story arc where the villain uses his mutant powers to make himself look like Marilyn Monroe, one of his minions has orgasm powers and another wields an energy whip and dresses in the gimp suit from Pulp Fiction.

Was it set in Japan as well? I can't remember.

Wait, he used the "tentacle rape arms" thing twice? I only know of the Uncanny issue from 1985.

In any case I think a lot of Claremont's inspiration came from classic pulp fiction, what with the x-men's frequent trips to space/savage land/medieval New York etc.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wait, he used the "tentacle rape arms" thing twice? I only know of the Uncanny issue from 1985.

That's news to me. I was only familiar with the story arc in X-Treme X-Men wherein Storm goes undercover in an underground mutant trafficking/pit-fighting ring in South East Asia.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Welp. Here you go: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/SVlUp3w.jpg :nws:
Uncanny X-Men 191. An evil wizard sends all of New York back to the middle ages, including most of the cast of the Avengers and the X-Men. Supposedly that's Selene, but there are some shapeshifting shenanigans going on as well.

There's an awesome panel in the same comic wherein a crucified Spider-Man breaks free of the cross but that should probably go in the badass panels thread.

Edited for NWS and something actually funny. BPRD: The Dead #1

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 20, 2013

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
And then in the next issue:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Why can't Captain Daimio stop looking at Roger's junk?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone get that thing a kilt!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Please tell me his name is Cock Knocker or something like that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

C. Everett Koop posted:

Please tell me his name is Cock Knocker or something like that.

Roger isn't good enough for you?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roger

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Metal Loaf posted:

That's news to me. I was only familiar with the story arc in X-Treme X-Men wherein Storm goes undercover in an underground mutant trafficking/pit-fighting ring in South East Asia.

He also had Masque, the fleshwarping Morlock, give tentacle arms to Jean Grey in an issue back in the day; I can't recall the issue number, but it was not long after the Australia Team had gone into the Siege Perilous (the whole "Dissolution And Rebirth" arc). Banshee and Forge and Jean Grey were in the Morlock tunnels for some reason or other and Masque removed Banshee's mouth and gave Jean (on loan from X-Factor) tentacle arms that somehow used the same parts of her brain as her telekinesis, so she could use one or the other but not both at once.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Honestly, the idea that mutations can literally make you into body-horror freaks is a more interesting idea than them making you supermodels who have claws or laser beams. It's always touched upon here and there, but in the end, comics need to sell and that means we need sex appeal, so the hot people take center stage.

Meanwhile, I've never heard of this or read this, but if the concept is Amsterdam fighting, I'm sold:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Deadpool #5

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Threep posted:

Deadpool #5

"My jelly belly! :supaburn:" was the best thing in that issue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Welp. Here you go: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/SVlUp3w.jpg :nws:
Uncanny X-Men 191. An evil wizard sends all of New York back to the middle ages, including most of the cast of the Avengers and the X-Men. Supposedly that's Selene, but there are some shapeshifting shenanigans going on as well.

There's an awesome panel in the same comic wherein a crucified Spider-Man breaks free of the cross but that should probably go in the badass panels thread.

Do you have that panel to post? I've never seen it as I wasn't big on X-Men.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mister Roboto posted:

Honestly, the idea that mutations can literally make you into body-horror freaks is a more interesting idea than them making you supermodels who have claws or laser beams. It's always touched upon here and there, but in the end, comics need to sell and that means we need sex appeal, so the hot people take center stage.

You should check out Wild Cards, I guess. As I understand it's a forums taboo or something but it's pretty rad. Alternate history mutation poo poo, mutants with useless powers, etc etc. Long-rear end book series plus a 4 issue comic from the early 90s (I think) (I haven't tracked down a copy of #4 yet. I should just loving buy it online) and then a 6-issue that came out just a few years back.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Wild Cards gets stupid pretty loving quick.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lobok posted:

Do you have that panel to post? I've never seen it as I wasn't big on X-Men.

Yeah, I'll track it down this evening.

Mister Roboto posted:

I actually really liked some of the late 90's characters for that reason. "Ugly" characters like Marrow and Skin had a lot of potential, even if the writers mostly didn't know what to do with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I actually really liked some of the late 90's characters for that reason. "Ugly" characters like Marrow and Skin had a lot of potential, even if the writers mostly didn't know what to do with it.

They tried to do that with Maggot as well, but as far as I'm aware it didn't quite work out as well as they'd hoped.

I believe Skin was killed off eventually, but whatever became of Marrow? I think she developed increased control over her powers (which basically meant she was able to become a standard supermodel mutant) but she disappeared around the time the Neo showed up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

She was depowered after M-Day, showed up in the early days of the new X-Factor, and got "killed" off, kinda. This isn't the X-Men thread, though? Maybe we should move that discussion there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

QuasiQuack posted:

"My jelly belly! :supaburn:" was the best thing in that issue.

You mean Deadpool quoting Method Man while wielding a sword. God drat i'm loving this storyline.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Demon Knights #17- I don't think I need to provide context other than Horsewoman can talk to horses (loving shocking, right?).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 21, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From Avengers #6, Doc Ock Spidey is a jerk.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

From Avengers #6, Doc Ock Spidey is a jerk.

Doc Ock is getting better at being Spider-Man I see.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What I love about Strange Adventures is any given page could probably be posted here.

e: Strange Adventures 133

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Something I found on tumblr. No idea the issue:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Those are some oddly colored pigeons.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Oh I actually know this one, it's Journey into Mystery 88.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

What I love about Strange Adventures is any given page could probably be posted here.

e: Strange Adventures 133

Whelp, that's an accurate title.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Those are some oddly colored pigeons.

Pigeons and doves are the same thing, and you can have white doves, so it's not that insane.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

From Hitman: One Million

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The best part from Hitman 1,000,000 is the guy who turned his rear end into a grenade.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hollis posted:

The best part from Hitman 1,000,000 is the guy who turned his rear end into a grenade.

The entire issue fits with this thread, really.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Judges were a nice touch too.

The more I see of Otto-Spidey, the more I think we can probably take those re-scripted news strip Spidey stories as canon now because the characterisations aren't too different. I eagerly await the inevitable DIE IS CAST-ing against his dread nemesis, Truck.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Thor, you're holding a hammer. I think we both know how to solve this problem really quickly, and it's goign to involve a bunch of feathers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

theflyingorc posted:

Thor, you're holding a hammer. I think we both know how to solve this problem really quickly, and it's goign to involve a bunch of feathers.

I'd like to see Ultimates reference that and have Thor just electrocute the lot of them

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Opopanax posted:

I'd like to see Ultimates reference that and have Thor just electrocute the lot of them

Tom Lehrer in the background all playing Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Nah, Ultimates Thor is way too environmentalist.

At least he was last I looked, god knows what he's like now.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
What's in a name?
Invincible is sent through space and time, and meets heroes from other worlds.

Marvel Team-Up v3 #14, and Invincible #33

That Ignorant Sap fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 23, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Fabio Man is still my favourite.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

What's in a name?
Invincible is sent through apace and time, and meets heroes from other worlds.

Marvel Team-Up v3 #14, and Invincible #33

Invincible is easily my favorite super hero comic of all time. If you haven't read it, you should really go pick up Volume 1. Series is still ongoing.
http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Ultimate-Collection-Vol-1/dp/158240500X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy poo poo, that's great. Another one to add to the list, drat it,

• Locked thread