Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weirdoman
Jun 12, 2001

I was walking down the street when I saw a bovus. And then it hit me...I was hit by a bovus.

Yechezkel posted:

edit: code taken

Yes, you'll have to play PS Home on a PS3 to get those PS4 codes.

If you only have a PS4 and want codes for Blacklight Retribution or Warframe, post here. I'll give some out and I'm sure others might not need them.

I wouldn't mind a Blacklight code if you still have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
So do we know how much X/X-2 are going to cost (less than $60?) and if so, what would you recommend to shore up that $60 to get the $10 back? Will X/X-2 be available (I think I remember its the 18th) in time for that promo?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Is that home stuff NA only or can I grab resi in the EU?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

mcswizzle posted:

So do we know how much X/X-2 are going to cost (less than $60?) and if so, what would you recommend to shore up that $60 to get the $10 back? Will X/X-2 be available (I think I remember its the 18th) in time for that promo?

It'll be $40 and it'll go live after the promo most likely. The promo probably is only in effect until the next store update but I could be wrong on this.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

mcswizzle posted:

FFX/X-2 will be $40, but MGS 5 will be 20 bucks on PS3 so I'd get that.
e: actually MGS 5 probably comes out too late, and I don't think the preorder is up yet.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ludwig van Halen posted:

actually MGS 5 probably comes out too late, and I don't think the preorder is up yet.

Comes up this week, supposedly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It has taken me 5 hours to download 31% of Dark Souls 2. PSN is the freaking slowest thing. I do not get it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FishBulb posted:

It has taken me 5 hours to download 31% of Dark Souls 2. PSN is the freaking slowest thing. I do not get it.

Try pausing/resuming your download and see if it improves the speed at all. (Might have to do it a few times)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FishBulb posted:

You got a bad server. I got your same progress in 2 hours this morning and I don't have the world's best Internet. Basically pausing and resuming your downloads switches your servers and can be a massive improvement.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also, if you can, try hardwiring it (even if only while you are downloading a big game). My wireless PS3 speed is always lovely, but I ran an Ethernet cable to it this morning and downloaded DS2 in about a half hour.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well if it's not done in an hour I won't be able to play it before tonight anyways so it's not a huge deal I just don't understand how a store's sever can be so lovely in 2014.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I started my download when I woke up randomly at 5:30 AM Eastern and couldn't believe when I woke up again at 7:15 that it actually finished. I have a PS3, PS4, and Vita and I've never gotten speeds like that. I assume I probably stole everyone else's bandwidth.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FishBulb posted:

Well if it's not done in an hour I won't be able to play it before tonight anyways so it's not a huge deal I just don't understand how a store's sever can be so lovely in 2014.

The obvious guesses are not waiting for everything to propagate to central or CDN servers before updating listings, or not deprecating or re-allocating servers that have a low bandwidth ceiling.

But it's internet stuff in a time of protocol transition, so it could be anything.

Either way, pause/resume is at least worth a shot. Or not, because with an hour before your day you'll have about enough time to look at a title screen unless you're close enough to done to not mess with the download.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ludwig van Halen posted:

MGS 5 will be 20 bucks on PS3

Wait what?

Is that because it's only like 5 hours long?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

precision posted:

Wait what?

Ground Zeroes as a digital download on last-gen systems will only be $20.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
PSA that needs to be repeated once in a while about the ps3: HARD WIRE ETHERNET. Do not use wifi, it's awful. Buy a longass ethernet cable and plug it into your router if possible. I run a wire to my router, have a switch at my entertainment center area and plug everything into the switch. Makes a big difference!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

redreader posted:

PSA that needs to be repeated once in a while about the ps3: HARD WIRE ETHERNET. Do not use wifi, it's awful. Buy a longass ethernet cable and plug it into your router if possible. I run a wire to my router, have a switch at my entertainment center area and plug everything into the switch. Makes a big difference!

Am I the only one that has no issues at all over wireless? I get ok speeds if I'm playing something at the same time, but otherwise its ridiculously fast. Granted I'm on a decent fibre line anyway, but it seems to use as much speed as it can get hold of. This is with a 500gb super slim, maybe it was improved later on or something?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

precision posted:

Wait what?

It's also worth noting that MGS5 Ground Zeroes (the title being released next week) is a "prologue" to MGS5 Phantom Pain, which I don't think has a release date yet. It's not intended as a full MGS game.

Also from accounts from people who played it, it's closer to 2 hours.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

precision posted:

Wait what?

Five hours? Hahahha oh, isn't that cute.

Try less than 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

Am I the only one that has no issues at all over wireless? I get ok speeds if I'm playing something at the same time, but otherwise its ridiculously fast. Granted I'm on a decent fibre line anyway, but it seems to use as much speed as it can get hold of. This is with a 500gb super slim, maybe it was improved later on or something?

No, I get the same speed over wifi as I do if I hardwire it. It's probably a complex issue and depends on how good your router is and so forth.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Krad posted:

Five hours? Hahahha oh, isn't that cute.

Try less than 2.

Is that for the main story alone? there are side missions, right? I mean... .It's an MGS game. I wouldn't be surprised if the intro cutscene was over 20 minutes. I'd be surprised if it were fewer than 10.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

redreader posted:

Is that for the main story alone? there are side missions, right? I mean... .It's an MGS game. I wouldn't be surprised if the intro cutscene was over 20 minutes. I'd be surprised if it were fewer than 10.

Apparently running through the main mission is in the 90-120 minute range, but that only gives you ~10% completion. There are a bunch of side missions, collectibles, etc.

More importantly, there are lots of ways to run through the main mission. People have reported playing for 8 hours and still finding new strategies and things to do.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
It's a glorified demo for Phantom Pain.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

redreader posted:

That time is for the main mission with the cutscenes included, and yeah, there are side missions... and all of them in the same map. Hope you like collecting things!

It's really not worth it. I'll wait for a bundle whenever the actual game comes out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Krad posted:

That time is for the main mission with the cutscenes included, and yeah, there are side missions... and all of them in the same map. Hope you like collecting things!

It's really not worth it. I'll wait for a bundle whenever the actual game comes out.

It'll probably drop down to single digits used anyway pretty sharpish. I'll probably grab it then, unless my brother gets it for his ps4 first.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's basically The Tanker chapter of MGS2 if that were released standalone and MGS2 proper were just the Plant chapter. They would've been released at the same time, but Kojima thought Phantom Pain was taking too long to develop and I guess he wanted something to tide us over another year. It's been like 4 years since the last main MGS title, 6 if you're only counting numbered ones. I can't say I blame him.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
No super-early update this time. Hopefully, this doesn't signal a delay. :ohdear:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin has been finally pulled from both NA and EU stores. The EU store still has a bundle of Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Trails in the Sky listed, but if the background info is correct, it will only give you Trails in the Sky, so don't get it.

Weirdoman posted:

I wouldn't mind a Blacklight code if you still have one.
Check your PM inbox.

I still have Warframe codes if anyone wants them.

Policenaut posted:

Wow, that's a great deal on those Warframe things in Home. You guys know Home's getting Trophies tomorrow? They're retroactive even, could be worth looking into.
Oh, now they put trophies. There better not be a full trophy list with platinum. I can't imagine the crap I would have to do in Home to get that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yechezkel posted:

No super-early update this time. Hopefully, this doesn't signal a delay. :ohdear:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin has been finally pulled from both NA and EU stores. The EU store still has a bundle of Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Trails in the Sky listed, but if the background info is correct, it will only give you Trails in the Sky, so don't get it.

Check your PM inbox.

I still have Warframe codes if anyone wants them.

Oh, now they put trophies. There better not be a full trophy list with platinum. I can't imagine the crap I would have to do in Home to get that.

I'll take the Warframe codes, please.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Yechezkel posted:

Persona 2: Innocent Sin has been finally pulled from both NA and EU stores.

is it supposed to be gone from my download list too? because I'm gonna be mad if I paid 10bux for a game I can't redownload.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

is it supposed to be gone from my download list too? because I'm gonna be mad if I paid 10bux for a game I can't redownload.

It's gone until Atlus (and Ghostlight in Europe) puts out a patched version of the game. Standard operating procedure if the game has an exploit in it.

E: We've known about it since Sunday Morning and it took them till this morning to remove it from the store.

NyaoMyao
Mar 29, 2010

Super High School Level BFFs
What happens if I already have the game backed up on my PS3? Is there gonna be some switch flipped that'll make it unable to play until the patched version is up? Would it play if I copied it to my vita tonight?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

With regards to dark souls 2, is it a preload game? Its not out until friday here and I don't actually want the preorder bonuses unless they are going to be paid DLC or something because I don't want to start with a bunch of stuff. Are they preorder exclusive weapons or just stuff you can get later as well?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Stux posted:

With regards to dark souls 2, is it a preload game? Its not out until friday here and I don't actually want the preorder bonuses unless they are going to be paid DLC or something because I don't want to start with a bunch of stuff. Are they preorder exclusive weapons or just stuff you can get later as well?

I think it's preload for EU regions. It wasn't for America for some reason.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dehry posted:

It's gone until Atlus (and Ghostlight in Europe) puts out a patched version of the game. Standard operating procedure if the game has an exploit in it.

E: We've known about it since Sunday Morning and it took them till this morning to remove it from the store.

Yea I kind of assumed I would still be able to download it from my list and they would just remove the store listing so new people couldn't buy it. At least I did get it on my vita beforehand. Now I just can't delete it.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Ah gently caress. My Vita didn't download Innocent Sin.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Policenaut posted:

Wow, that's a great deal on those Warframe things in Home. You guys know Home's getting Trophies tomorrow? They're retroactive even, could be worth looking into.

Hahaha, what?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

...! posted:

Hahaha, what?

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress. I'm curious to see if all the years I wasted on Home playing it between games will pay off in some way, but none of the trophy scraping sites have found the list yet.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Dehry posted:

Standard operating procedure if the game has an exploit in it.

What does "exploit" in this instance mean? Is it like a bug in the game, or can you exploit something in the PS store just by buying it or something?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Attitude Indicator posted:

What does "exploit" in this instance mean? Is it like a bug in the game, or can you exploit something in the PS store just by buying it or something?

you can download someone's doctored save file which loads an exploit that allows you to run custom firmware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

Usually this means figuring out a way to run unsigned code. To use a really simple example, someone figured out in Windows NT that if you entered a stupidly-long password, like 200 characters, there was a point where it caused a "wrap-around" effect and could actually run code. So if you entered something like this as a password:

ghfjdkgshgfjklghfjklfsghlkfdsghlkjfdsghlkgshflkjdSet AdminPassword abc123

As long as the gibberish at the start was the exact right length it would run the command at the end with "root" credentials. There are different ways of doing this, including causing a controlled crash (which then runs code that's fed to it). Oftentimes a specially-corrupted save file will do this.

Sony has gotten really agressive with the Vita because they don't want a repeat of the PSP being custom firmware pirate central.

• Locked thread