Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

Saga Emerald Beyond question - I have a trial to "capture" an enemy combo with my own, but uhh, I have no clue how to actually do that lol. I'm also a couple worlds into Diva's story, and have a trial involving spells...but have no characters that can cast those yet. Am I missing something to learn them, or are they just rare / not a huge part of Diva's team?

For spells: sometimes you can see items for trade that have a spell associated with them. There's a lightbulb next to a skill name. If you buy that, you can cast that spell and eventually learn the other spells from that element(but not the equipped spell, which has to be learned by casting one of the new spells you learned :v:)

ie You get an item with Sharp Pain. You cast that in a few battles then learn Gravity Bind. If you want to use Sharp Pain without having that item equipped, unequip the item that was granting you access to Sharp Pain and then cast Gravity Bind(or another spell from that element) until you learn Sharp Pain.

On Diva's route I managed to recruit Ameya, but she has no spells. I also recruited Scarecrow(in the sand world) and he came with a spell. So if you don't see any items that have spells in the shop, or can't afford them, you can recruit Scarecrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvCweOmHlkk

A new Forspokenlike has dropped, paging Barudak

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Does Eiyuuden's combat get meaningfully more interesting over its runtime?

I am about 5 hours in and just cleared the mine dungeon with the boss fight VS the three "bandits". I got hit by a bug in town immediately after that sequence which softlocked the game in a menu and It sent me back to before the boss fight, which massively sucked the wind out of my sails.

I also finally unlocked the second set of rune slots at level 10, and the rune system seems incredibly barebones and kind of boring. 5% bonus to a stat, amazing! Materia it ain't. I don't remember if Suikoden 3 (the one I actually owned and played) was this simple but I certainly found it more engaging 20 years ago.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 11, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I haven't played Eiyuden yet, but Suikoden runes were incredibly simplistic.

Almost every rune fell into a few basic categories: an enhanced attack of some kind(almost universally bad), a spell rune(which gave level 1-4 spells based on the magic abilities of the user and the rune in question), or a passive boost of some kind(like the Firefly Rune's taunt effect). Some true runes, true rune-adjacent runes, or unique one-off runes like the Blink rune or the Jongleur rune had unique spell lists. True Elemental Runes were just normal elemental runes except the spell list was bumped up by 1 level, i.e. the True Wind Rune's level 1 spell was the normal Wind Rune's level 2 and the True Wind Rune had a new "level 5" capstone spell.

Suikoden 3 technically spiced it up a bit with skills that made some people better with some elements, but all this really meant was that you only put spell runes on people who were good at them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 11, 2024

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Scoss posted:

I am about 5 hours in and just cleared the mine dungeon with the boss fight VS the three "bandits". I got hit by a bug in town immediately after that sequence which softlocked the game in a menu and It sent me back to before the boss fight, which massively sucked the wind out of my sails.

I also finally unlocked the second set of rune slots at level 10, and the rune system seems incredibly barebones and kind of boring. 5% bonus to a stat, amazing! Materia it ain't. I don't remember if Suikoden 3 (the one I actually owned and played) was this simple but I certainly found it more engaging 20 years ago.

It doesn't seem like it. The last two boss gimmicks I encountered didn't have the characters explain the gimmick, it was just "you have to pay attention and figure it out yourself" and I guess that was cool.

I haven't gotten to a point where Runes Are Fun And Interesting yet. I think the slots only being able to equip specific types of runes is... not great, because you end up with characters who seem to only be able to equip +5% Strength for a long time (or Rune of Blindness Immunity, which multiple characters have joined with even though I have yet to see Blind as a status effect).

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

It doesn't seem like it. The last two boss gimmicks I encountered didn't have the characters explain the gimmick, it was just "you have to pay attention and figure it out yourself" and I guess that was cool.

I haven't gotten to a point where Runes Are Fun And Interesting yet. I think the slots only being able to equip specific types of runes is... not great, because you end up with characters who seem to only be able to equip +5% Strength for a long time (or Rune of Blindness Immunity, which multiple characters have joined with even though I have yet to see Blind as a status effect).

Having beaten the game...lots of characters would be made much better by having more than 4 rune slots, and/or having those slots have higher rarity levels.

I only ever saw blind in a single dungeon, and the battles usually ended fast enough that it didn't matter. Same for sleep and poison for that matter. All out offense is almost entirely the way to go.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was able to get XB2 running well via emulator, but it still gets stuttery in places. It only seems to happen in most large areas (though that's kinda a majority of the places you'll be) - like it'll be perfectly smooth but then get stuttery when I cross some threshold. XB2 looks drastically better after you mod out its weird dynamic resolution thing, though, so it's still worth it.

I wish I had some idea if there was anything I could change to address the stutter, but it's hard to find information about this since there are so many factors that can contribute to it, ranging from the version of the emulator you're using to the settings to the specific mods being used.

I forget when the game unlocks Chain Attacks, but I hope it's soon (I'm at the beginning of chapter 3), because fights against stronger enemies take forever without it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ytlaya posted:

I was able to get XB2 running well via emulator, but it still gets stuttery in places. It only seems to happen in most large areas (though that's kinda a majority of the places you'll be) - like it'll be perfectly smooth but then get stuttery when I cross some threshold. XB2 looks drastically better after you mod out its weird dynamic resolution thing, though, so it's still worth it.

I wish I had some idea if there was anything I could change to address the stutter, but it's hard to find information about this since there are so many factors that can contribute to it, ranging from the version of the emulator you're using to the settings to the specific mods being used.

I forget when the game unlocks Chain Attacks, but I hope it's soon (I'm at the beginning of chapter 3), because fights against stronger enemies take forever without it.

what are your pc specs? i rarely get stuttering, though denser areas are a slightly less stable 30. I'm using yuzu, but it worked about as well in ryujinx when I tested it, iirc.

and yeah, my eyes couldn't handle the switch native version (but I have seriously lovely eyesight)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ytlaya posted:

Encoounter with the main villains near the end of Chapter 3. Don't worry, stronger enemies take forever to kill even with chain attacks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scoss posted:

No.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I know the thread warned me, but I just realized the immensity of Ursula's affinity quest. I need how many stamps???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a funny bit but also completely insane as an actual gameplay mechanic

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it sucks because I actually like Ursula's quest until that point

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rinkles posted:

I know the thread warned me, but I just realized the immensity of Ursula's affinity quest. I need how many stamps???

Don't do it. Ursula was the second Blade I pulled and I was farming it from near the beginning, and I still didn't get anywhere close to finishing it

What the gently caress were they thinking

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Ahahahahah.

Its a joke elongated so much we traverse funny, to unfunny, to mouth of madness laughing at the movie.

goblin week posted:

I had this on my radar occasionally but "eastern european souls-like with unreal assets" is a screaming horror void of both jank and uninspired

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Scoss posted:

You've seen everything.
The Suikoden way works better I think - because Eiyunden gives the illusion of depth where there actually isn't any.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Don't do it. Ursula was the second Blade I pulled and I was farming it from near the beginning, and I still didn't get anywhere close to finishing it

Well you should still send your Blades out to do those because they're the best way to level up your skills

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rinkles posted:

what are your pc specs? i rarely get stuttering, though denser areas are a slightly less stable 30. I'm using yuzu, but it worked about as well in ryujinx when I tested it, iirc.

and yeah, my eyes couldn't handle the switch native version (but I have seriously lovely eyesight)

Oh, I'm running it at 60fps lol (with Lossless Scaling's interpolation this becomes like 120fps).

My specs are 12700k and a 4080, though I doubt anything other than maybe the CPU is responsible, since reducing resolution (or any other change to graphical settings) doesn't impact the stuttering.

The only reason I'm still trying to mess with it is that I found a video of someone with a smooth 60fps in Torigoth, which is probably the worst performing area for me. So that implies it should be possible. Otherwise I'd just deal with it, since it's not that bad.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Encoounter with the main villains near the end of Chapter 3. Don't worry, stronger enemies take forever to kill even with chain attacks.

I've actually played the game before. While fights are always a little slow, you can usually end them with chain attacks after getting 2-3 orbs on someone. It feels bad that I can currently get 3-4 orbs on enemies but can't pop them!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Scoss posted:

no. they add armor class to some enemies, you almost don't even know it's there. they add elemental weaknesses, but these aren't highlighted by the UI, and are also barely noticeable. resistances are slightly more noticeable but that's it. rune customization is a joke. still attacks are based on weapon type and there are precious few per type, like, extremely few. and several party members have rune skills unique to them that can't be removed so there's just a fake "slot" that doesn't really exist because it's permanently locked

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 12, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meowywitch posted:

Quite possibly, "This value will do for now, we'll test and balance it later... what do you mean 'Go work on Nintendo's new Zelda game?!'"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, I'm running it at 60fps lol (with Lossless Scaling's interpolation this becomes like 120fps).

My specs are 12700k and a 4080, though I doubt anything other than maybe the CPU is responsible, since reducing resolution (or any other change to graphical settings) doesn't impact the stuttering.

The only reason I'm still trying to mess with it is that I found a video of someone with a smooth 60fps in Torigoth, which is probably the worst performing area for me. So that implies it should be possible. Otherwise I'd just deal with it, since it's not that bad.

yeah 60 is a pipe dream with my CPU. good to know it's possible or close to with newer models.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
to think i'd encounter someone who uses frame generation in the rpg thread...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quite possibly, "This value will do for now, we'll test and balance it later... what do you mean 'Go work on Nintendo's new Zelda game?!'"

iirc it's because her japanese VA rina hidaka took frequent lengthy breaks from voice acting to work on her idol career. the whole thing is basically a gag

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Meowywitch posted:

I have no idea how that’s possible. Maybe if you just beeline the story and don’t do any sidequests?

Personally I got her around halfway through the story and was finished with her stuff long, long before the end. It takes a while, yeah, but it’s just merc missions running in the background as you play the game normally, which you’d want to do anyway even without her. It sucks if you get her near the end, since her quest is all or nothing for NG+ and if you didn’t clear it entirely you have to start over, but otherwise it’s not really a big deal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

Ursula was just introducing people to the hell of trying to max out max rarity common Blades for Overdrive Protocols.

Back when the game initially came out and you didn't get 10 (or whatever) from DLC, you were limited to the 4 or 5 you can get in-game. Only other way was by maxing out the high rarity common Blades, which was only reasonable via a zillion mercenary missions.

It's very nice that they actually give you a good number now (though I still dislike the "blades are stuck on whoever released them" mechanic).

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Taear posted:

The last dungeon feels almost like it's pulled from another game. Why so many doors that are just...there and unopenable?

Late, but: isn't that "another game" Suikoden 2? Big castle, filled with human guards, lots of closed doors, you go there after the war is effectively over and you're just doing clean-up, you get to the end and fight a True Rune Primal Lens super-empowered by repeated human sacrifice, afterward you run away as the castle collapses around you? Of all Eiyuden's invocations of Suikoden 2 I felt like the last dungeon was especially shameless about it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goblin week posted:

I watched this last night and kind of want to play it now just to experience the worst protagonist of all time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

No Dignity posted:

I watched this last night and kind of want to play it now just to experience the worst protagonist of all time

It's not like the VA is even doing a bad job. He's doing a good job of voicing an insufferable dickhead.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's at least two wizardry 1 remakes on steam, and not one of the Busin titles, they need to either make a new one of those or remake the wizardry trilogy, i'm dying for one of those that isn't total rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

It's not like the VA is even doing a bad job. He's doing a good job of voicing an insufferable dickhead.

I think its the same guy since it sounds like him but Brian Caspe is an actor who isn't a star but is good enough to have bit parts in things like Jojo Rabbit and Hellboy and anything else shooting or recording voices in Eastern Europe that needs a convincingly americanish guy with enough talent to not distract.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Playing Tales of Destiny DC right now and I don't get how they made Vesperia after this when the combat is so much more engaging and fun to get into. Also Stahn and Leon, what a beautiful pair~~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Dignity posted:

Playing Tales of Destiny DC right now and I don't get how they made Vesperia after this when the combat is so much more engaging and fun to get into
tales had two teams around that point. team destiny and team symphonia. they were completely silo'd off from each other without much overlap, so they were basically iterating along two entirely different lines. so vesperia was an evolution of symphonia and abyss.

the team destiny games are rebirth and graces, which do actually iterate on the destiny dc combat.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tried ten minutes of the Chain of Memories remake. Wow, this is a huge pain in the rear end. The only reason the original game was a "card battler" was to fit on the GBA's limited hardware. Recreating in 3D is pointless when they could have stuck to the more conventional and better received combat from the second game. To think the card battler genre would take off a few years later, without trying to cram real-time action into the formula.

This series is shonen as hell in that you're best off skipping half the installments. Who the gently caress wanted Coded?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think you should skip half of most shonen either

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are you... talking about like shonen movies or something...? who skips half of hunter x hunter or chainsaw man or something. or even mha or dbz, the point of those is that if you like the basic thing you get a whole whole lot of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
and frankly kh is probably a bit more shoujo inspired

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So like, I get where the plot is going in Forspoken I think, and its neat the wandering dialog has a few different versions that change over time but also this is wrong to have characters who are, at this point still theoretically friends , talk with the first saying "hrmm, that was fair to middling" in a dry tone and then the response being a flat angry "Ill show you middling, rear end in a top hat".

Endorph posted:

i dont think you should skip half of most shonen either

Im just here for the tournament arcs

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 12, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Xenoblade 2: am I playing wrong, or do abilities of your arts become secondary to just using them to build up your special meter? That is, besides the chain combo arts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Xenoblade 2: am I playing wrong, or do abilities of your arts become secondary to just using them to build up your special meter? That is, besides the chain combo arts.

That's fairly consistent with what I remember when I played it years ago. I remember late-game combat being all about setting up and blowing up big combo chains and everything else was just about how much you could feed into that loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rinkles posted:

...sorta. Driver Combos are still very useful. Particularly for farming later on IIRC, but you also get a damage boost from Fusion Combos or accessories that increase damage against launched enemies or whatever (like if your guys have bonus damage against a launched enemy and do a Chain Attack while it's launched, I think it applies). And I think in the very-late game (like "post-game" late) Blades can do a ton of damage outside of chain attacks if built correctly. But this is "late game to the extent most players will never reach" and I haven't done this myself.