Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like you dont need to explain this to me ive actually worked in the industry. ive talked to professionals who have worked in the industry for 30 years who are extremely anti-name changes except absolutely necessary. i tend to agree with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
has treehouse ever given an explanation for how comprehensive and arbitrary their localizations tend to be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) nintendo (both japan and america) is extremely image-conscious so some of these decisions are coming from above
2) treehouse tends to attract people who are more interested in 'working on nintendo games' and dont actually have much jp cultural knowledge or awareness despite knowing the language
3) its insular and not really connected to the broader translation industry so theres some amount of ego

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Grail/Aigis for Pyra is a far weirder translation change imo. Like even if you thought "holy grail" is an odd way to refer to a person, you could go with "vessel" or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what possible meaning is kept when fe fates changes a japanese name to a different japanese name

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
they should have done another set of names for the european release too like with days of ruin......sorry i mean dark conflict

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Personalize every save file by having each character's name randomly generated from a list of names that have an equivalent meaning from a bunch of different languages. Then you can guarantee nobody will have any idea whom anyone else is talking about. Also it'll make replays of the game more interesting.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also the name Hikari is one of the easiest japanese name wtf is that example!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i guarantee more people in english speaking countries know hikari means light than know mythra means light

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Namechanges in like Phoenix Wright makes sense since the names all being puns is like, a core identity feature of the games (even if that led to the increasingly nonsensical japanifornia situation). I don't think it meaningfully helped any part of XBC2 at all and instead just comes off like being scared to expose people to Japanese names.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I tend to assume the same is true for Dragon Quest, that name changes in English are needed to preserve the puns, but I actually don't really know how things are in Japanese so I can't say for sure. I know there are still a lot of puns in Japanese, but not knowing the language myself I have no idea how successful the English script is in translating it.

I'm less into the character name changes in DQXI, though. I mean Sylvia -> Sylvando makes sense, at least to me, "The Great Sylvando" sounds better for that character in English, but for example changing "Martina" to "Jade" just feels arbitrary.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The first western release of Persona 3 gave the protagonist the name "Roger Clever" and I think they were on to something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

I tend to assume the same is true for Dragon Quest, that name changes in English are needed to preserve the puns, but I actually don't really know how things are in Japanese so I can't say for sure. I know there are still a lot of puns in Japanese, but not knowing the language myself I have no idea how successful the English script is in translating it.

I'm less into the character name changes in DQXI, though. I mean Sylvia -> Sylvando makes sense, at least to me, "The Great Sylvando" sounds better for that character in English, but for example changing "Martina" to "Jade" just feels arbitrary.

Localisers thought the names still had to be five characters or less in English

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

1) nintendo (both japan and america) is extremely image-conscious so some of these decisions are coming from above
2) treehouse tends to attract people who are more interested in 'working on nintendo games' and dont actually have much jp cultural knowledge or awareness despite knowing the language
3) its insular and not really connected to the broader translation industry so theres some amount of ego

The insularity feels like it’s especially relevant for the Xenoblade series since afaik the main 1-3 trilogy were done by NoE. But yeah, even Treehouse NoA feels kinda insular relative to other companies wrt localization work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Localisers thought the names still had to be five characters or less in English

Ah yes, who could forget The Great Sylva

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

With Dragon Quest the spells are all stuff like onomatopoeia so the localization is “accurate” there (except for Heal), but iirc a lot of the monsters are pretty straightforward stuff like Teeny Sanguini being just Cow Demon in JP since it’s, you know, a little demon with a cow pattern. Dragon Quest is supposed to be kinda irreverent in the original Japanese from what I’ve heard, but I’m just going off heresy on that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sham Hatwitch is just "Big Hat" in the original JP script and it makes me lol everytime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sham Hatwitch is just "Big Hat" in the original JP script and it makes me lol everytime.

Lol it's so matter of fact

big hat. hat is, indeed, quite big

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Ah yes, who could forget The Great Sylva
He's Sterling Sylva in the Octagonia tournament, though...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished KH1:FM.

Pretty much every boss is overcome with healing and shield magic. The other spells barely get a look-in.

The last level is horrible with the wall to wall enemy spawns in the final room.

feel like these two statements are related lol, attack magic is incredibly useful in kh1. large bodies can't defend against it, gravity destroys defenders, and atlantica in particular is designed for you to use magic almost exclusively the way your combo finishers get taken away and ever enemy drops tons of mana

it might not be immediately obvious but your max mp functions as your magic power stat. the ripple drive combo finisher you get early on with a staff start scales heavily off mp and was kinda ludicrous the whole game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

He's Sterling Sylva in the Octagonia tournament, though...

Lol poo poo shoulda joked about my favorite twin magicians Veron and Seren

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats it were going back to hastily dubbed 1960s foreign film rules. All men are Ken or Hercules, women are mythology assigned at random

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i said it but again, if you don't have a magic meter that stretches halfway across the full length of the screen and aren't constantly casting thundaga and graviga on trash packs by the end, you are playing kh1 entirely wrong. you should only be doing anything different against someone like seph or unknown because their hp is big enough you need to worry more about endurance than offense, otherwise even boss fights encourage you to use attack magic at critical moments to maximize damage output

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The translation in Troubleshooter is a bizarre one. It almost feels 100% literally translated so they're saying their names ALL THE TIME and things like that.
It's not as bad as it was - I can tell what's going on - but it's got a really strange air to it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i feel like chain of memories gets unfairly criticized for being mostly a rehash of kh1 outside of organization xiii scenes. like yeah the worlds (and models in the remake's case) are all the same but the stories are different and I'm always down for stuff that plays with memory. there are some good lines like the Cheshire cat's warning about the false memories that can come from trying too hard to remember something, and alice saving the day by gaslighting the queen of hearts into thinking she ordered them to battle the heartless

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Looper posted:

feel like these two statements are related lol, attack magic is incredibly useful in kh1. large bodies can't defend against it, gravity destroys defenders, and atlantica in particular is designed for you to use magic almost exclusively the way your combo finishers get taken away and ever enemy drops tons of mana

it might not be immediately obvious but your max mp functions as your magic power stat. the ripple drive combo finisher you get early on with a staff start scales heavily off mp and was kinda ludicrous the whole game

the God Combo of abilities in KH1FM is Leaf Bracer, Second Chance, and MP Rage. if you have all of these equipped only a handful of situations like loving up heartless angel are actually dangerous

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lmao

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the God Combo of abilities in KH1FM is Leaf Bracer, Second Chance, and MP Rage. if you have all of these equipped only a handful of situations like loving up heartless angel are actually dangerous

unfortunately in final mix if you start with the staff, you don't learn second chance until level 90 🥴

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's intent behind the Blade names, the point of localizing them is to maintain it in a form the British and europeans punters are more likely to recognize while playing. Even if some of the localizations are definitely goofy or just well off the mark (Percival).

The intent behind the decision was flawed from the start because the people with that intent were operating from faulty premises. Name changes have not been the industry standard for quite some time.

It also goes without saying, but the intent given reads as intensely condescending towards British and European people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
giving everything an Anglo workover and also ditching the Holy Grail reference is the strangest part to me. dartboard-rear end translation planning

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder if the religious connotation was something they feared, but this is the same game where a girl has a verse from Proverbs tattooed on her chest so idk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Runa posted:

The intent behind the decision was flawed from the start because the people with that intent were operating from faulty premises. Name changes have not been the industry standard for quite some time.

It also goes without saying, but the intent given reads as intensely condescending towards British and European people.

I mean that isn't entirely accurate, they're just not usually as wide-reaching. Persona 5 for example changed Anne to Ann. (Despite it being written as Anne in Japanese), FFXV changed Cidney to Cindy which literally removed the joke, Final Fantasy has continued to use the majority of the changed names (Terra, Sabin, Ultros, etc) even in modern stuff, we still use Balrog, Vega, M. Bison and Akuma, it's still Bowser and not Koopa, etc.

That's also ignoring some of the more obviously major examples, like how (almost) every Pokemon gets a translated new name or how Phoenix Wright redoes names.

Hell, it happened (to a lesser extent) in Xenoblade 1 too.. Fiora's name is Fiorung (and still shows up that way in the credits), Sharla is Carna,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy has continued to use the majority of the changed names (Terra, Sabin, Ultros, etc) even in modern stuff, we still use Balrog, Vega, M. Bison and Akuma, it's still Bowser and not Koopa, etc.
that has nothing to do with anything else, that's just legacy. if those games came out today those name changes wouldnt exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

that has nothing to do with anything else, that's just legacy. if those games came out today those name changes wouldnt exist.

They've reverted other names though. Like Bowser is Bowser but Toadstool is Peach.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

I dunno about the FF6 names, given the name changes in the (I guess sorta-kinda recent?) Dragon Quest XI I'm not so sure SE wouldn't change those names today

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well the dq translation team is, very bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like, jokes aside, I genuinely think the reason Xenoblade 2's localization is what it is is because it is being treated roughly the same as something like Pokemon, where they wanted to give everything a distinct Englishified name that tries its best to evoke the Japanese name where possible. For good or ill they seem to think that makes it easier for people to remember characters (and likely makes it easier to market too.) Nintendo, often to the excess, is approaching the publishing as if they are done for an incredibly general audience, even for something like Xenoblade which is far more likely to target an audience who doesn't have a problem with Japanese-rear end names in their Japanese-rear end game.

I don't personally like it but if you're approaching it from Nintendo's standpoint it does seem to be effective at trying to define the characters as That Specific Nintendo Character Yes That One. If people will really remember Tharja over Sallya is obviously something we can't test without dimensional travel but it seems to be what they're aiming for.

Sadly we've lost the best localized name of all time, Khushnood Butt, so it's all downhill from here.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You occasionally see people still mad that the English localizations call her Aerith instead of Aeris despite them doing it since Kingdom Hearts 1. People get really attached to some legacy names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aerith is a different thing that's just a matter of romanization. they didn't change her name at all it's just how they decided it's pronounced in native english, you wouldn't pronounce it that way in japanese because the "th" sound is not one you would commonly make