Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

John Dough posted:

If Disney is smart, they probably figure that a lawsuit gives way too much free publicity to a lovely movie that will otherwise be forgotten.

Yeah I'm sure asylum thinks any added publicity would be the goal so Disney should just ignore them. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I'm pretty sure you could pretty easily argue that the term "once upon a time" as applied to fairy tale princesses is something so common that you can't really claim copyright on it like that.

Copyright? No, it's long out of copyright.

Trademark, on the other hand, you absolutely can. No one else can produce a show titled "Once Upon a Time" because Disney holds that trademark. And because the main purpose of trademarks is prevent people from using a name or logo or something along those lines to try to cause confusion (like, say, making a lovely movie using it) it's not impossible that Disney will sue.

Asylum tends to toe the line on trademark infringement really closely and they've been slapped down a few times because of it. The description, though lovely, is probably on the right side of things. The title, on the other hand, I'd expect them to have a much harder time defending in court. And using the "Avengers" name like that is bad enough that I think Disney will (and should) challenge it.

(For Christmas all I really want is for nerds on the Internet to learn the difference between copyright and trademark.)

muscles like this? posted:

while Disney doesn't own the word "Avengers"

They do:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4806:x40loh.3.62 (plus about thirty other trademarks applying it to just about anything you could slap the word "Avengers" on). [There you go, found the trademark that's specific to films.]

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 25, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
John Water is making a G-rated version of Pink Flamingos with an all-kid cast.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Random Stranger posted:

They do:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&state=4806:x40loh.3.62 (plus about thirty other trademarks applying it to just about anything you could slap the word "Avengers" on). [There you go, found the trademark that's specific to films.]
Except in the UK, where they had to use the rather clumsy title Marvel's Avengers Assemble because of the 1960s TV series The Avengers.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Payndz posted:

Except in the UK, where they had to use the rather clumsy title Marvel's Avengers Assemble because of the 1960s TV series The Avengers.

Which is funny since I haven't spoken to a single Brit who calls it that. They've all just called it The Avengers. Which means that whole thing was done just to appease impotent lawyers and literally no one else cared.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I kind of like the Avengers Assemble title, as it fits into the naming convention for Avengers Age of Ultron more.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In my country The Avengers TV show had a supremely clumsy title ("Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone" = "With umbrella, charm and bowler hat", what the gently caress Germany) and I have no idea whether that was due to trademark shenanigans, but I'd like to think it was.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

In my country The Avengers TV show had a supremely clumsy title ("Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone" = "With umbrella, charm and bowler hat", what the gently caress Germany) and I have no idea whether that was due to trademark shenanigans, but I'd like to think it was.

That's actually a pretty awesome name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't they start doing something different with the British Avengers show recently?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

Unless the film has like a four way lesbian orgy I doubt Disney will care enough to sue anyway.

And Alan Moore awakes from his slumber to call a lawyer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Slugworth posted:

A Serbian princess. It basically just means she gets first dibs when the cargo container of clearance blue jeans arrives from America.

What about the Adidas track suits? Or are those reserved for the Crown Prince?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Payndz posted:

Do they still call it "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" there?

PriorMarcus posted:

I kind of like the Avengers Assemble title, as it fits into the naming convention for Avengers Age of Ultron more.

Oddly, that's also the name of the cartoon series they made in the US following the movie.

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't they start doing something different with the British Avengers show recently?

The last I remember anyone ever talking about it was that movie with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman in 1998.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 26, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

raditts posted:

Do they still call it "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" there?

One hopes that racism towards ninjas are all but gone now. Or does the BNP object to them on principle of something?

Unless Avengers Grimm is really crazy, it may not really match the actual Once Upon A Time where Rumplestiltskin has fangirls, Snow White and Prince Charming are younger than their adult daughter, and "fairy tales" includes characters from Frozen (as in the Disney movie, not the Snow Queen story), Frankenstein, and the sarlacc from Star Wars.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The MSJ posted:

One hopes that racism towards ninjas are all but gone now. Or does the BNP object to them on principle of something?

Unless Avengers Grimm is really crazy, it may not really match the actual Once Upon A Time where Rumplestiltskin has fangirls, Snow White and Prince Charming are younger than their adult daughter, and "fairy tales" includes characters from Frozen (as in the Disney movie, not the Snow Queen story), Frankenstein, and the sarlacc from Star Wars.

Ok. I knew about everything up to the sarlacc. What's the deal with that?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Ok. I knew about everything up to the sarlacc. What's the deal with that?

That was in the Wonderland spinoff (or miniseries). Alice had wishes given to her by a genie (her boyfriend) and Jafar (from Aladdin) was discussing with the Queen of Hearts on how to make Alice use up those wishes. They were flipping through a book looking for monsters they can use and the Queen suggested using the sarlacc (they ended up picking the Jabberwock). You get a glimpse of the sarlacc page and there appears to be an illustration that did sort of look like a sarlacc's body.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

precision posted:

Unless the film has like a four way lesbian orgy I doubt Disney will care enough to sue anyway.

They sued a kindergarden for painting Mickey on their wall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Avalerion posted:

In their defense, it was an exceptionally lewd painting of Mickey.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Avalerion posted:

That was decades ago and they learned a lot after it blew up in their faces. Today's Disney is the Disney that not only let Escape From Tomorrow happen but even reference it in their parks guide.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Where a lot of the more silly intellectual property lawsuits seem to come from is that if you don't protect your copyright in all instances its violated anytime you knowingly didn't move to protect can be used against you if you try and protect it in future lawsuits. Although the Disney lawyers might consider this to dissimilar to be an issue.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Where a lot of the more silly intellectual property lawsuits seem to come from is that if you don't protect your copyright in all instances its violated anytime you knowingly didn't move to protect can be used against you if you try and protect it in future lawsuits. Although the Disney lawyers might consider this to dissimilar to be an issue.

This is not true of copyright. Copyright is always in place no matter how well or often you defend it. Trademark, on the other hand, can be taken way if it's not defended.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Along similar lines (trademark), imagine how many cut-rate daycare centers have bootleg Mickeys on their walls. As Disney, do you want that in the background of a perp walk on the 5 o'clock news?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Do you want a first rate Mickey in that case either?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I'd rather have the perp walked by Macky Moose

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What about the Adidas track suits? Or are those reserved for the Crown Prince?

Those are for the royal guard, you can see them squatting by the throne.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently Google tried to trademark the word "glass", because King trademarking "candy" went so well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

Apparently Google tried to trademark the word "glass", because King trademarking "candy" went so well.

Trademarks are generally industry specific anyway, like Microsoft isn't going to sue your local window washer.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, Google trademarking Glass is just so Samsung can't come out with their own one and call it Samsung Glass or Apple can't call theirs Apple Glass.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Who's ready for another chapter of the Dustin Diamond Saved by the Bell biopic?? http://fox6now.com/2014/12/26/dustin-diamond-actor-who-played-screech-on-saved-by-the-bell-arrested-in-ozaukee-co/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Classy, a Christmas stabbing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, Google trademarking Glass is just so Samsung can't come out with their own one and call it Samsung Glass or Apple can't call theirs Apple Glass.

Oh come on, as if Apple wouldn't sell their copy of Google Glass as the Eye-Phones.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Google should come out with and not trademark a product called Fart just to see what Apple does.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

precision posted:

And some computer company trademarked the word "apple". Can you believe that?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

And some computer company trademarked the word "apple". Can you believe that?

Apple actually got sued by whoever represents The Beatles now because they got involved in selling music.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Bob Orci melts down at fans on a message board and says he won't be writing the Star Trek 3 script:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/26/star-trek-3-coming-july-2016-without-a-bob-orci-script/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Corek posted:

Bob Orci melts down at fans on a message board and says he won't be writing the Star Trek 3 script:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/26/star-trek-3-coming-july-2016-without-a-bob-orci-script/

Man, whoever wrote that article really seems to have it out for Orci.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Corek posted:

Bob Orci melts down at fans on a message board

Hasn't he done this a bunch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axleblaze posted:

Man, whoever wrote that article really seems to have it out for Orci.

Devin Faraci basically blew a gasket about the Khan thing from Into Darkness and he's made it his life's work to end Orci and all that he loves, more or less. He refuses to accept that it was Lindelof who forced the Khan insertion into the script, for example -- for him, everything bad comes from Orci. I mean, I was happy as anyone to see anyone else in the director's seat, but Faraci for whatever reason really hates his guts.

But then again, this is the same guy who named his website "Badass Digest" and looks ... well, exactly how you'd expect him to look.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Corek posted:

This is excellent news.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like BAD and Devin, but sometimes I don't agree or care about his nerdy poo poo. I don't like Star Trek except for JJ's Trek. He hates them, and doesn't like Abrams either. Before the Force Awakens trailer came out, every post about Star Wars was passive aggressive as gently caress bitching about how JJ ruins everything.

Star Trek deserved JJ Abrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Before the Abrams movies came out, Star Trek had gotten so far up its own rear end it was like some sort of ouroboros of lovely tepid writing.

Now, at least, they're lovely funny writing with enough action and sex appeal to gloss over how dumb they are.

• Locked thread