Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chairface posted:

Yeah let's see what happens when everyone doesn't go home nicely after dark.

While I also want to see what happens as things wear on, I don't really understand why things should turn lovely again at this point. The cops seem genuinely interested in deescalation and not quashing the protests if for no other reason than to cover their own collective rear end, and with greater pressure coming down on the police department I don't expect the protestors to feel the need to storm the police office right the gently caress now. It's in everyone's best interest, at least for the next day or two, to maintain the status quo with protestors being allowed to do their thing and the cops having a presence without shoving weapons in people's faces. I don't see how the sun going down will change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

chairface posted:

Yeah let's see what happens when everyone doesn't go home nicely after dark.

He said as long as they don't block the street, they can stay out there all night.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming

KernelSlanders posted:

He said as long as they don't block the street, they can stay out there all night.

He also did say 20-30 people, so if crowds are bigger than that, I don't know.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

While I also want to see what happens as things wear on, I don't really understand why things should turn lovely again at this point. The cops seem genuinely interested in deescalation and not quashing the protests if for no other reason than to cover their own collective rear end, and with greater pressure coming down on the police department I don't expect the protestors to feel the need to storm the police office right the gently caress now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also not all the same police. Highway Patrol and city police (I think city police are involved now?) are there to unfuck this, and don't have any ego on the line to protect how the county police hosed things up. It's not their egos on the line.

Or I could be wrong, I dunno, I'm 1000 miles away.

e: Yeah, the city police are there. They weren't before, just county police. misunderstood

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 15, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cease to Hope posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also not all the same police. Highway Patrol and city police (I think city police are involved now?) are there to unfuck this, and don't have any ego on the line to protect how the county police hosed things up. It's not their egos on the line.

Or I could be wrong, I dunno, I'm 1000 miles away.

City police aren't touching this with a ten foot taser.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

In other protests I've been in where the cops aren't shitheels, what happens is the main group of peaceful folk congregate somewhere because their numbers shrink after dark anyway. Then maybe some dumb-rear end kids start something (a fire, a fight, looting, a building occupation) and then the big difference is: Do the cops respond to the protesters at large or seek to separate the violence from the main group?

So if the police can handle arresting any dumb fucks without dispersing/attacking the whole crowd then things might go better tonight.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

They're there now.

https://twitter.com/SLMPD/status/500053538421354497

Strike that, they're at a separate vigil downtown, not in Ferguson.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

So if the police can handle arresting any dumb fucks without dispersing/attacking the whole crowd then things might go better tonight.

I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. These guys seem know their heads from their asses well enough to understand that if any disturbances aren't handled like a loving breeze tonight, everyone involved loses.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know they weren't when the county were doing everything in their power to gently caress things up, but the fact that their police chief (city) released a statement that basically said "gently caress those guys" I would actually be surprised if there weren't city police being tapped to help.

e: n/m, looks like their at a difference vigil.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
http://instagram.com/p/rsk0_jkQdU/

I don't really have anything to add to that.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Someone please post a link to the video of Capt. Johnson talking to the community and media when it becomes available. I need to show some idiots what an appropriate police response looks like.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

drat right. Jesus Christ, this is just making it clear how badly the local chucklefucks were spoiling for a fight.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Johnson: "you can stay all night, yell, shout, whatever. We just need you out of the sidewalk."

https://twitter.com/rlippmann/status/500056048674562050

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cease to Hope posted:

Can you tell me what they say at the beginning? I can't make it out.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The name of the officer who shot Brown still hasn't been released yet, right? Looking at the response now, it looks like all anyone in Ferguson really wanted was the ability to congregate without threat of being assaulted.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Jesus. It's like someone in Missouri has had a sudden stroke of competence and put the adults in charge.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Just want to know where you are going" "The quick trip" "we'll make sure you there"

Garbo
May 30, 2011
Wait, so what you're saying is treating protesters like human beings and not as A TURRIST THREAT has massively helped calm things down? Who knew.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Evil Sagan posted:

The name of the officer who shot Brown still hasn't been released yet? Looking at the response now, it looks like all anyone in Ferguson really wanted was the ability to congregate without threat of being assaulted.

It was. The protests were peaceful with nothing but a handful of bad eggs damaging property....and then the cops opened fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1SKC6dK7o

^ Actual proof that the cops shot first at this one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

leader: (shouting)

Johnson: I just wanna know where you're going

leader: Going to Quiktrip then we're stopping

Johnson: (unintelligble) Okay.

leader: This way! (starts chanting again)

Evil Sagan posted:

The name of the officer who shot Brown still hasn't been released yet, right? Looking at the response now, it looks like all anyone in Ferguson really wanted was the ability to congregate without threat of being assaulted.

No, not yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've been hearing that it's supposed to be a matter of public record and the local cops have been hiding it behind procedure - can anyone confirm that? Because if that's true then it's just a matter of time before it comes out.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. These guys seem know their heads from their asses well enough to understand that if any disturbances aren't handled like a loving breeze tonight, everyone involved loses.

Yeah, I'm really hoping Johnson pulls this off, not only for the sake of the people there, but also as an example of how proper policing works. With a gas mask on, you can't tell the drunk guy to go home and sleep it off. You do sort of get the sense that he's gone all-in on the river, though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've been hearing that it's supposed to be a matter of public record and the local cops have been hiding it behind procedure - can anyone confirm that? Because if that's true then it's just a matter of time before it comes out.

It's a matter of time. The ACLU made a request for unredacted reports of the shooting and then filed suit when the cops failed to fulfill their request after 72 hours. It might take a few weeks, but it'll shake out.

I don't trust Anonymous' sources for poo poo, so I wouldn't believe a thing they say unless it's corroborated by another outlet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Spiritus Nox posted:

From the Post-Dispatch:

quote:

A public cry for the name of the Ferguson police officer who killed Michael Brown is a fresh and uncommonly loud iteration of a recurring debate on the balance between police credibility and a public servant’s safety.

Although many departments around the country do release officers’ names and details of use-of-force investigations, there is no consensus. And it has been far from routine in the St. Louis area, where the subject has sparked controversy for years.

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch insisted Wednesday that no details of the Brown investigation will be released until a grand jury reviews them. But the National Bar Association and American Civil Liberties Union positioned themselves to fight for release of information they say should be immediately public by law.

Some people protesting Saturday’s shooting of Brown, 18, who was unarmed, have loudly demanded the officer’s name without explaining what they would do with it.

Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said Monday he would release the name once the officer and his family were somewhere safe, but later in the week declared that he would provide it only under court order or if the officer were charged with a crime.

Jeff Roorda, business manager of the St. Louis Police Officers Association, is so opposed to release of the names that as a state legislator he once tried to pass legislation to protect them. “These guys face threats during their eight-hour shifts,” he said. “They shouldn’t have to face them at home.”

Roorda said the public’s right to know can be accommodated through the normal investigative process.

“If they did something wrong, they’re going to be charged criminally and everyone should know what their name is,” he said. He also acknowledged that the name could become public if a lawsuit is filed.

Names of St. Louis city police officers who used deadly force were never officially released before 2009, although the Post-Dispatch regularly obtained them. Since that time, a policy keeps the names secret until a “threat assessment” clears them for release.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
The obvious MRA connections to this story are almost impossible to ignore. Yet the patriarchy has apparently put a media blackout on the issue.

Typical.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Probably a couple thousand people out here, maybe more. Lots of honking

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

drat right. Jesus Christ, this is just making it clear how badly the local chucklefucks were spoiling for a fight.

The counties response just reinforced my concept that most police officers want to play military / shooty man "PEW PEW LOOK AT ME I'M ARMY!"

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Spiritus Nox posted:

quote:

Except as provided in subsections 4, 5, 6 and 7 of this section, if any portion of a record or document of a law enforcement officer or agency, other than an arrest report, which would otherwise be open, contains information that is reasonably likely to pose a clear and present danger to the safety of any victim, witness, undercover officer, or other person … that portion of the record shall be closed and shall be redacted from any record made available pursuant to this chapter.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C600-699/6100000100.HTM

No dice in Ferguson. The specific requirements are going to differ by state and city, and here they are so broadly worded that the department could conceivably never release it unless they are compelled to by criminal charges.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

From the Post-Dispatch:

It's amazing how hard the Post-Dispatch is shilling for the police. No wonder their reporter had to wear body armor. Accusing the protestors of wanting vigilante violence against the officer for asking for his name is pretty lovely. I imagine they don't have much distribution in that area.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Megaphone: - Up! (I assume it was 'listen')
Jackson: Just wondering where you're going.
Megaphone: We're going to Quick Trip then we're stopping.
Jackson: ----- Just want to make sure you get there.
Megaphone: That's what we want.

Wow, beaten like hell.

KernelSlanders posted:

Yeah, I'm really hoping Johnson pulls this off, not only for the sake of the people there, but also as an example of how proper policing works. With a gas mask on, you can't tell the drunk guy to go home and sleep it off. You do sort of get the sense that he's gone all-in on the river, though.

Apparently the police don't even have their gas masks on them today. I'm sure there's a cache of them in a command center somewhere, but even little human touches like that go a long way.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

It was. The protests were peaceful with nothing but a handful of bad eggs damaging property....and then the cops opened fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1SKC6dK7o

^ Actual proof that the cops shot first at this one.

Good lord, I assume I'm hearing the LRAD?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

AngrySpork posted:

The counties response just reinforced my concept that most police officers want to play military / shooty man "PEW PEW LOOK AT ME I'M ARMY!"

Actual veterans responding to photos of the police decked out in armor has been amazing. One of them was pointing out the armored officer sitting on top of the MRAP with the sniper rifle and the veteran says, "You don't sit people on top of an armored vehicle if you think you could get shot at." The police there knew the protestors weren't going to fight back and still set up to make war with them.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Neo Duckberg posted:

Probably a couple thousand people out here, maybe more. Lots of honking

Sincerest thank you for keeping us updated from the ground through this. Goon among goons.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

bassguitarhero posted:

Actual veterans responding to photos of the police decked out in armor has been amazing. One of them was pointing out the armored officer sitting on top of the MRAP with the sniper rifle and the veteran says, "You don't sit people on top of an armored vehicle if you think you could get shot at." The police there knew the protestors weren't going to fight back and still set up to make war with them.

I like the one about that scope at that range only being necessary if you care which nostril you hit.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Coming home to STL from KC today I was passed by half a dozen state trooper vehicles burning east on I-70, lights on the whole way. Looks like they're bringing new manpower from all over the state.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Everyone seems to be excited and happy, stark contrast from just last night

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
If anyone's still wondering about Fox2Now's depressing website polls from a few pages back, here's some context:

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

The obvious MRA connections to this story are almost impossible to ignore. Yet the patriarchy has apparently put a media blackout on the issue.

Typical.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Converging at the church now

• Locked thread