Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I dont get it, they actually emailed you screenshots of your SA posts? lol?! Is there somewhere more private and goonie where I should be sharing my parody photoshops, out of the eye of cigmafia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PST posted:

Some of their TOS are in violation of EU/UK consumer laws e.g.

quote:

"You acknowledge that pursuant to applicable finance, banking, and currency control regulations, any refunds may only be made to the same payment method (credit card, Paypal or bank account), from which the payment was received, and may in no event exceed the amount of the payment received by RSI. Any taxes paid, such as VAT, are not refundable beyond 30 (thirty) days after the purchase."
UK consumer law doesn't work like that and they don't get to pocket the VAT when they refund the customer.

Hahaha holy poo poo, so they intend to issue a credit note to the customer and then keep the VAT for themselves? Oh god please please please, do this!

To put things in perspective for americans, the VAT office is like the IRS. On steroids. With chainsaws in place of hands. You do not gently caress with the VAT unless you have fetish for being mauled by a pack of rabid dogs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The paywall's not even up right now.

There's plenty of people lurking for their own amusement at this whole debacle.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Has anyone addressed the fact that they have a system called grabby hands?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bluestreak can't read the forums at work but he was nice enough to link the pic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Prawned posted:

Oh well that settles it, .gov.uk is a very fishy domain so its probably a scam or trick by gamergate.

Well, to be fair, gov.uk is very fishy — just not for any reasons that are relevant in this instance.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bluestreak can't read the forums at work but he was nice enough to link the pic.

:prepop: wat

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
MassivelyOP interviews James Hick, indie space game dev, about the game genre, Star Citizen, and even Derek Smart. He considers Derek a qualified critic of CiGs technical challenges, and addresses the question of cash reserves, hand crafted systems vs procedurally generated ones, and more.

Starts about 20 minutes in. Last's about 15 minutes.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
5am, not a coke whore

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tippis posted:

Well, to be fair, gov.uk is very fishy — just not for any reasons that are relevant in this instance.

Fishy and chipsy. :rimshot:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

ALSO CAN I JUST SAY - THIS THREAD HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, hi Sandi. I don't like your fake accent.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

lol what in the gently caress is going on? is Sandi "Pube Hating" Gardiner having some kind of meltdown and tracking down posters in SA?

Sandi, why do you hate pubes? Also what is it liek to procreate with mush mouth Crobizzle and his chronic case of hunch back?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MeLKoR posted:

UK consumer law doesn't work like that and they don't get to pocket the VAT when they refund the customer.

Hahaha holy poo poo, so they intend to issue a credit note to the customer and then keep the VAT for themselves? Oh god please please please, do this!

To put things in perspective for americans, the VAT office is like the IRS. On steroids. With chainsaws in place of hands. You do not gently caress with the VAT unless you have fetish for being mauled by a pack of rabid dogs.
[/quote]

This is A really good description of the inland revenue. If you try to gently caress with them, enjoy spending the next 20 years explaining every transaction you make in excruciating detail, and still be under suspicion of fraud.

Us UK business owners do not gently caress with the tax man.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wow, these people are a PR flack's worst nightmare.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

G0RF posted:

MassivelyOP interviews James Hick, indie space game dev, about the game genre, Star Citizen, and even Derek Smart. He considers Derek a qualified critic of CiGs technical challenges, and addresses the question of cash reserves, hand crafted systems vs procedurally generated ones, and more.

Starts about 20 minutes in. Last's about 15 minutes.

Its kind of blow my mind just how much the space genre has expanded since 2012 and the original start citizen kickstarter. Like more then a few space games are coming out that basically do everything Chris Roberts wanted and he could have been ahead of the curve if he could have just kept his ego in check.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Xaerael posted:

This is A really good description of the inland revenue. If you try to gently caress with them, enjoy spending the next 20 years explaining every transaction you make in excruciating detail, and still be under suspicion of fraud.

Ohhh someone please contact VAT and show that paragraph to them. I don't know if VAT is something like the IRS/CRA or not.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No freaking way!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
this thread delivers every loving morning i wake up god drat, bless CIG

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I suspect it's not real, but as with Swedish mafia I just want to believe.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
you do NOT want to deny bluestreak a mother fricking 'sclusie

let CIG's fate be a lesson to the rest of you

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Xaerael posted:

quote:

How are they so powerful in the UK?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

toanoradian posted:

tax agencies in most first world countries are very powerful its not really a unique thing

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Still on the VAT front, having just chatted to a friend at HMRC (albeit he works in a totally different area).

UK Incorporation date for Robert's Space Industries was 07 Feb 2014

They claimed at the start of this year that 'Starting February 1st, 2015, Cloud Imperium Games will be launching a European publishing arm based in the United Kingdom, Roberts Space Industries International, Ltd.' (and yet the company was created a year before then) And because of that, together with the change in EU VAT laws on virtual goods, they would have to start charging VAT at the customer's rate from Feb 1st.

Given they'd set the company up a year before hand then it suggests they should have been charging VAT at the standard UK rate through that year (there might be some corporate juggling as to who you were paying, but there's no reason they couldn't have kept that going if that's what they'd been doing up until then to avoid having to charge VAT on European customers.). Possibly an accountant finally looked at it and said 'what the gently caress are you doing?'

Obviously when they get round to filing their returns then there'll be more information, but together with the claim that they can withold VAT on refunds, it's enough to give the fraud line a ring (which I've just done).

Be interesting to see if they've included their VAT registration number with any receipts from people buying stuff from them (let's say since Feb 1st at least), as they have to do that.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

toanoradian posted:

[/quote]

Comes from the days when they were the king's tax collectors I think, messing around with VAT as a business owner is treated pretty much as stealing the queen's money directly out of her handbag.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tortolia posted:

Most members of the games media only get critical when it is safe to do so. If you don't dig into things or think about the unsustainable nature of the SC model then it is easy to fall into the trap of just parroting the big backer or pledge numbers and assuming that everything is OK.

that would be because the product they are selling is information produced by people who aren't obligated to provide it. it's not the media's fault that they go where the dollars are, it's gamers who would prefer to read WILL FALLOUT 4 ALLOW DOG loving? EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW than fifty thousand words about the theory of crowdfunding viability and developer responsibility in an environment without a publisher or major backers ensuring creativity is funneled into something commercially (or even just practically) viable

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
HELLO CIG, THIS ITS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER BEEN PAID ATTENTION TO EVER AND IM SOOO EXCITED :swoon:

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

PST posted:

it's enough to give the fraud line a ring (which I've just done).

God bless your heart, please report back if you hear anything :allears:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

PST posted:

Obviously when they get round to filing their returns then there'll be more information, but together with the claim that they can withold VAT on refunds, it's enough to give the fraud line a ring (which I've just done).

YES! YES! CIG being audited will be the best loving thing ever, I don't care if this poo poo isn't public.

edit: Sandi what is your opinion on working with t-rex arms on a daily basis?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 14, 2015

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Trapezium Dave posted:

Yeah, I agree with all of this post. :smith:

I'd be more okay with how the media in general were handling this is this was a regular AAA game where only the publisher will be out of pocket, or maybe even a regular Kickstarter game where the funding had already been collected. But with Chris Roberts still selling thousand dollar jpegs to the gullible then all this "wow this is a brave new world of video games" talk makes them complicit in selling the impossible dream of Star Citizen.

Even then it would be pretty bat, depending on whether you consider role of the enthusiast (gaming) press to be only an extension of publishers corporate PR (Woo! Woo! Make way for the hype train!) or to also take up the mantle of consumer advocate and watchdog.

Because they would be failing hard at the latter in their coverage of Star Citizen as everything that has erupted from Robert's fetid mouth colon for the last couple years screams - do not pre-order this game.

Edit:

Also hello to anyone from RSI reading this post. I ask that you consider the following statement: wax on, wax off.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 14, 2015

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen

Libluini posted:

And playing Space Magellan, don't forget that!

(Seriously, I'm playing Elite mostly because it has the entire loving galaxy to explore. I don't care much for trading and shooting, that's more like a neat bonus for me.)

Also I can't get over how dumb some of those Star Citizens are. "gov.uk looks fishy" "spends thousands of dollars on pictures of fake internet space ships" :allears:

:lol: if you dont think dead pigheadfuckers arent fishy

thanks for sharing your necrophilic preferences

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Unlike the game it's about, this thread delivers every day.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

:coffeepal:

Yup, sure is a good morning. We've got more moles than Lesnick's rear end and tax shenanigans abound.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

thatguy posted:

Unlike the game it's about, this thread delivers every day.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
D_Smart
Please show up at PaxSouth 2016 and host a Panel. http://south.panels.paxsite.com/main/login
Maybe something along the line of Backer Beware: The Rise and Fall of a crowd funded project
The Nov 2015 deadline will have expired and you could reach people that have missed your Blog or do not use SA.

The one thing that is constant with CIG doing events. They do not actually participate in the Pax/Gamescon event itself.
They always get off site hosting and sell tickets for their events. This could be the first and only official Panel at PAX for this "game"

Or if thats too much work, just show up and have some drinks with fellow Goons.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Hi Dave,

Could you also please confirm your status re: being/not being a garbage dick?

Thanks,
Sandi

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guess this is your friendly reminder that if you want to talk poo poo about a company you're trying to get money out of, do your poo poo talking in private or from a name that you can't be traced from, because god drat.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every single time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

I guess sandi has a lot more time on her hands now

• Locked thread