Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Looking for a unique, fun build. I've done all of the "obivous" ones (melee, mad scientist, explosives, non violent). Not completely into RPing, but if the character is cool enough who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Inudeku posted:

Looking for a unique, fun build. I've done all of the "obivous" ones (melee, mad scientist, explosives, non violent). Not completely into RPing, but if the character is cool enough who knows!

Drug-Addled-God: Take Logan's Loophole, get Chemist as soon as possible. Choose whatever combat specialization you like best, and ingest EVERYTHING. It's fun to see just how obscenely powerful drugs get when you start mixing them (don't do this in real life, it's bad for you.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Keeshhound posted:

Actually, caps aren't backed by water anymore; they have value because people agree that they have value. In fact, because House and the Crimson Caravan company both trust caps, their value is probably the most stable of the three, since Legion coins only have value for their component materials.

rope kid posted:

NCR's currency is (inflated) fiat currency. Caps are water-backed by merchants in the Hub (which works reasonably well due to the Hub's distance from natural sources of fresh water). Legion denarii and aurei aren't backed by silver and gold; they are silver and gold.

:colbert:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

(I'm not even going to entertain the thought of a Legion victory being morally equivalent to the others because seriously, gently caress Rome)

Which is pretty funny, because the NCR is far more Roman than the Legion is.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Byzantine posted:

My tolerance of how ROME a fictional nation is is inversely proportional to how consciously it's attempting to emulate the empire. The NCR's failings are almost all the failings of the Roman republic (and by extension every republic ever, notably in this case the Fallout world's United States), but the ideology behind the NCR isn't just a giant appeal to tradition fallacy (though there are components of NCR philosophy that are). The Legion on the other hand was basically started by some sperghole who read a history book and though to himself "drat the Roman army under Caesar was HELLA AWESOME. We should do that, like, EXACTLY THAT. And we need to be sure to include EVERYTHING that was bad about it". I'll admit that there are situations where the ultimate outcome of NCR and Legion policy would likely be the same, or at least equivalently bad. I guess it really makes a difference for me that terrible awful poo poo happening under the Legion is like, four out of five times the actual stated goal of the policies they implement as opposed to some tragic unintended consequence of rich, out of touch bureaucrats in California making a poo poo decision about resource management.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I guess I got caps and NCR dollars mixed up then, but that doesn't make any sense; the game explicitly states that NCR money was backed with gold that got destroyed. It cant' be fiat if it's backed by anything, so does that mean they tried to shift to fiat after the gold got blown up?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
As much as I appreciate the complexity of the faction situation in the Mojave, i'm still happy with my first playthrough where I went with Yes Man so I could use my new personal robot army to exterminate all cazadors and be friends with the Brotherhood of Steel :unsmith:

In a weird way, the thoughtfully designed interplay between the realistic failings and conflicts of the Legion/NCR/House makes it so much more satisfying that the game allows you to basically nullify all of it and replace the ending showdown at the Dam with a farcical spoiler of this random rear end in a top hat of no importance to anyone tricking their way into victory. Oh, it's canon. It's terribly, painfully canon.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kellsterik posted:

As much as I appreciate the complexity of the faction situation in the Mojave, i'm still happy with my first playthrough where I went with Yes Man so I could use my new personal robot army to exterminate all cazadors and be friends with the Brotherhood of Steel :unsmith:

Go seek out the Brotherhood without Veronica and then tell me how much you want to be friends with them. :colbert:

I actually love that part of their characterization; it feels like a return to form after Fallout 3's power armored boy scouts.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Byzantine posted:

To point out the nuance once again: Caesar knows this.

He's pretending to be Caesar's legion, not Rome. The NCR is his Rome. Real Caesar went off to Gaul, became a hero, and came back to Italy with his army to take over Rome. New Vegas Caesar goes off to Arizona, builds a Mongol-style nomadic army, and is trying to conquer California.

The NCR's weaknesses are in some (extremely tenuous) ways like the weaknesses of the Roman Republic. Caesar's trying to fix them through sheer power of anachronism.

Personally, I think a Kublai Khan motif would have probably been more accurate, but I guess that'd be stepping on the Great Khan's toes a bit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Keeshhound posted:

Go seek out the Brotherhood without Veronica and then tell me how much you want to be friends with them. :colbert:

I actually love that part of their characterization; it feels like a return to form after Fallout 3's power armored boy scouts.

I did all the Brotherhood quests before meeting Veronica, and while I can understand why that would leave a sour taste in most people's mouths I certainly can't really blame the BoS for acting that way. They're physically isolated, they don't have any friends, and as far as they know the NCR is still actively trying to hunt them down and destroy them. The fact that the code you use to enter the bunker was only given out to scout patrols that have since disappeared is just icing on the cake, and to top it all off there's an NCR Ranger snooping around the other bunkers in the area. If anything, it's a wonder that the BoS don't just shoot you and get it all over with.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I did all the Brotherhood quests before meeting Veronica, and while I can understand why that would leave a sour taste in most people's mouths I certainly can't really blame the BoS for acting that way. They're physically isolated, they don't have any friends, and as far as they know the NCR is still actively trying to hunt them down and destroy them. The fact that the code you use to enter the bunker was only given out to scout patrols that have since disappeared is just icing on the cake, and to top it all off there's an NCR Ranger snooping around the other bunkers in the area. If anything, it's a wonder that the BoS don't just shoot you and get it all over with.

I agree for the most part, but the slave collar has some disturbing implications. :gonk:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Maybe it's just because I played Fallout 3 first, and so that was the first impression of the Brotherhood I got, but I always feel the need to defend their portrayal in that game vs New Vegas. They're still jerks in F3, just somewhat more heroic jerks, and they're still sitting on the biggest pile of tech in the Wasteland, so it's not like they've abandoned their previous characterisation entirely. In F2 all I really saw of them was two polite guys who wouldn't let me into their bunker, and a third polite guy who said he'd let me in the bunker if I investigated the Enclave for him. F1's "canon" ending had the Brotherhood helping to drive away the mutants and reintroducing the tech they'd preserved among the general population. New Vegas took liberties of its own- no previous game mentioned the Codex, or the Circle Of Steel(though that's a Van Buren thing)and those things basically define the Mojave Brotherhood's story.

I get the feeling New Vegas's Brotherhood aren't really meant to be a return to the old ways, but more of an evolution in a different direction than the F3 Brotherhood. F3's guys were led by a humanitarian, well-equipped where nobody else was, had an enemy that they could look good fighting against in the East Coast Super Mutants, and were supported and loved by basically everyone. NV's were led by a warmongering jackass who got replaced by a wuss, were better-equipped than but vastly outnumbered by the NCR, had fought a gruelling war against them for years and got isolated in a bunker making them scared and angry, and everybody hated them. They're the Dark Side Ending to F3's Light Side I guess.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Maybe it's just because I played Fallout 3 first, and so that was the first impression of the Brotherhood I got, but I always feel the need to defend their portrayal in that game vs New Vegas. They're still jerks in F3, just somewhat more heroic jerks, and they're still sitting on the biggest pile of tech in the Wasteland, so it's not like they've abandoned their previous characterisation entirely. In F2 all I really saw of them was two polite guys who wouldn't let me into their bunker, and a third polite guy who said he'd let me in the bunker if I investigated the Enclave for him. F1's "canon" ending had the Brotherhood helping to drive away the mutants and reintroducing the tech they'd preserved among the general population. New Vegas took liberties of its own- no previous game mentioned the Codex, or the Circle Of Steel(though that's a Van Buren thing)and those things basically define the Mojave Brotherhood's story.

I get the feeling New Vegas's Brotherhood aren't really meant to be a return to the old ways, but more of an evolution in a different direction than the F3 Brotherhood. F3's guys were led by a humanitarian, well-equipped where nobody else was, had an enemy that they could look good fighting against in the East Coast Super Mutants, and were supported and loved by basically everyone. NV's were led by a warmongering jackass who got replaced by a wuss, were better-equipped than but vastly outnumbered by the NCR, had fought a gruelling war against them for years and got isolated in a bunker making them scared and angry, and everybody hated them. They're the Dark Side Ending to F3's Light Side I guess.

The F3 Brotherhood are completely loving retarded and totally detached from the actual brotherhood. They're not really related and don't really fit together. The NV brotherhood are very much a logical evolution of the FO1 Brotherhood especially considering their history: they horde technology so the people of the wastes don't destroy themselves with it. When they finally do open up and share and ally with the NCR, the whole thing goes terribly south as the NCR demands all theEnclave poo poo to become a dominant power, and the brotherhood goes back to their traditional style of hiding in bunkers, telling other people to gently caress off, and sending the curious on suicidal fetch quests.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

I dunno, I just have trouble seeing how House's vision for a world where he and a bunch of other rich assholes get to blast off to a new world and leave everyone else behind is at all preferable to either trying to hammer out the flaws in the NCR or trying to create a new nation by and for the people of the Mojave. (I'm not even going to entertain the thought of a Legion victory being morally equivalent to the others because seriously, gently caress Rome)

See, this is another example of trying to read modern capitalist ideals into what House does that simply aren't there. House wouldn't plan to take himself and a couple other wealthy businessmen up into space, there would be no other wealthy businessmen. Or at least, no businessmen with wealth comparable to his. House isn't Adam Smith; he's Bill Gates. He doesn't believe in the purity of the free market, he's a businessman who doesn't put up with other people messing with his poo poo. Just look at how he destroyed his brother to see what he thinks about fair competition.

There's also the fact that to House's perspective, anyone with power in New Vegas is just another tribal who he uplifted from the wasteland to be his employee.

I don't think that House's long-term goal is all that important to the fate of the Mojave from the Courier's perspective, since that's probably centuries away from even being feasible. What really matters is reestablishing industry and high tech research so that the scavenging/trading based society in the Mojave can get advancing (maybe along with forcing the NCR to not be so terribly expansionistic so they don't just steamroll over any other remaining human society).

Eiba posted:

To point out the nuance once again: Caesar knows this.

You realize, of course, that that makes him even more of a pathetic sperg.

He's cosplaying as Caesar and the dam is his Rubicon, and he won't shut the gently caress up about how his idealized version of what Rome was is so great, never mind any of the differences. The Legion follows them because they're constantly terrified and in awe of him, but nobody save for possibly Joshua and Lanius.

And really, what is more horribly spergy than using overwhelming military force to correct popular misconceptions on the pronunciation of classical Latin?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay, but what exactly is crazy about House? I mean, other than the robot sex slave thing, but honestly, the guy's stuck in a capsule, he doesn't have a lot of other options.

I'd say he kept it together pretty well. He didn't go crazy like the Think Tank, start making people worship him, nothing like that: he just wants the NCR and the Legion to leave him the gently caress alone and let him quietly push civilization forward. I mean, he's kind of arrogant I guess?

That's how I saw it. I chose House, due to my own political and personal views, but I constantly wondered if I made the right choice. But as I was exploring near the end of the game I saw the lights of New Vegas, and realized that because of House those lights would endure. No matter what else happened to the Mojove there would be a sma oasis of peace and light and Old World tech.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I was just at a small convention and this guy had an absolutely amazing Courier outfit. He had a jacket with the Mojave Express logo on it, a Sunset Sarsaparilla Deputy Badge, a BoS helmet in one hand, a plasma rifle and That Gun in a holster, a PipBoy with an actual screen that was displaying video and playing Enclave Radio, a Kings undershirt, armor on one jeans knee, a Nuka-Cola baseball cap (with desert dirt on it!) and a bag full of Nuka-Cola bottlecaps in his pocket.

...and the cherry on top is that for picking out everything in his costume correctly he gave me a couple of bottlecaps. Neat!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Ernie Muppari posted:

My tolerance of how ROME a fictional nation is is inversely proportional to how consciously it's attempting to emulate the empire. The NCR's failings are almost all the failings of the Roman republic (and by extension every republic ever, notably in this case the Fallout world's United States), but the ideology behind the NCR isn't just a giant appeal to tradition fallacy (though there are components of NCR philosophy that are). The Legion on the other hand was basically started by some sperghole who read a history book and though to himself "drat the Roman army under Caesar was HELLA AWESOME. We should do that, like, EXACTLY THAT. And we need to be sure to include EVERYTHING that was bad about it". .

A guy like that showed up in the Ask/Tell Roman History thread here, which was pretty funny and showed there's some realism in the idea of Ceaser's Legion.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

See, this is another example of trying to read modern capitalist ideals into what House does that simply aren't there. House wouldn't plan to take himself and a couple other wealthy businessmen up into space, there would be no other wealthy businessmen. Or at least, no businessmen with wealth comparable to his. House isn't Adam Smith; he's Bill Gates. He doesn't believe in the purity of the free market, he's a businessman who doesn't put up with other people messing with his poo poo. Just look at how he destroyed his brother to see what he thinks about fair competition.
That's an important distinction to make. He's a "capitalist" as in, "someone with capital" not "someone who believes in capitalism".

He's not a libertarian worshiper of individual achievement or anything, he's a man with money who understands that money is power. He's a product of capitalism rather than an advocate.

In other words he's no better than a (highly capable) feudal lord.

quote:

You realize, of course, that that makes him even more of a pathetic sperg.

He's cosplaying as Caesar and the dam is his Rubicon, and he won't shut the gently caress up about how his idealized version of what Rome was is so great, never mind any of the differences. The Legion follows them because they're constantly terrified and in awe of him, but nobody save for possibly Joshua and Lanius.

And really, what is more horribly spergy than using overwhelming military force to correct popular misconceptions on the pronunciation of classical Latin?
Oh yeah. He's a huge nerd. It's kind of hilarious. But I don't think he lets that get in the way of his ideology. All the Roman stuff is just an aesthetic. More for the sheer propaganda value of a unifying aesthetic than anything else. Stuff like his policy of zero tolerance for drug use, or his aversion to using high technology to help him in battle aren't Roman things at all. They're part of his ideology.

I really respect what Obsidian did with Caesar's Legion. When I first heard about them, they sounded silly, but under all that Roman-cosplay nonsense they're pretty legit. Inhumanly monstrous, true, but legit.

Count Chocula posted:

That's how I saw it. I chose House, due to my own political and personal views, but I constantly wondered if I made the right choice. But as I was exploring near the end of the game I saw the lights of New Vegas, and realized that because of House those lights would endure. No matter what else happened to the Mojove there would be a sma oasis of peace and light and Old World tech.
House is dreadful. That light of human achievement or whatever... what does it illuminate? For whom does it burn? Not for the people. House doesn't give two shits about that. The proud but humanitarian tribe of the Kings don't bend their knee, he doesn't care why or how he could deal with them, he just kills them all to the last. If something gets in the way of his precious industry, he just kills it if he can.

The only use he has for people is to support his industry.

Contrast with the NCR. The NCR isn't just preserving Old World tech, they're making New World tech. And they're actually doing it for the general welfare of the people. The industry of the NCR supports its people.

It's not perfect. Capitalism is loving things up, as it tends to, and the NCR is taking a far-from-ideal path, and people are suffering as a result. But honestly, it has a lot more potential than House's little fiefdom. Even if your goal was purely industry for the sake of industry, like House.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

2house2fly posted:

Maybe it's just because I played Fallout 3 first, and so that was the first impression of the Brotherhood I got, but I always feel the need to defend their portrayal in that game vs New Vegas.

The Fallout 3 Brotherhood isn't an impossible outcome; it's one of the few things that game actually explains in it's lore fairly cohesively. The reason a lot of people hate that characterization is that it feels like just another part of the old Fallout lore that Bethesda grabbed, tore the skin off of and stuffed with something that suited their vision without actually giving any thought to it's original place in the story. In all the other portrayals the Brotherhood have been at best standoffish; they don't want to involve themselves in the day-to-day workings of the wasteland because they view themselves as keepers of power that cannot be allowed back into the hands of the common people again, lest they melt themselves and all of civilization with them.

Even with a not unreasonable explanation for the schism, the East Coast Brotherhood (and to a lesser extent, the Outcasts) feel like a betrayal of that as a story element. In truth, there was no real reason to include the Brotherhood (or the Enclave) at all; the furthest the Brotherhood had gotten before that was Chicago (Fallout Tactics). Bethesda's writers could have created entirely new factions for the East Cost, using similar themes and it would have felt more natural, but instead they tried to repurpose as much of the early Fallout lore as possible, and it feels lazy and disrespectful towards those elements.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I just don't believe in the NCR enough to murder somebody who's never wronged me just because they say so (and also want all his stuff, which is rightfully theirs because they say it is).

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Speedball posted:

I was just at a small convention and this guy had an absolutely amazing Courier outfit. He had a jacket with the Mojave Express logo on it, a Sunset Sarsaparilla Deputy Badge, a BoS helmet in one hand, a plasma rifle and That Gun in a holster, a PipBoy with an actual screen that was displaying video and playing Enclave Radio, a Kings undershirt, armor on one jeans knee, a Nuka-Cola baseball cap (with desert dirt on it!) and a bag full of Nuka-Cola bottlecaps in his pocket.

...and the cherry on top is that for picking out everything in his costume correctly he gave me a couple of bottlecaps. Neat!

Got any photos? That sounds pretty awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

M.Ciaster posted:

Got any photos? That sounds pretty awesome.

I was wrong it was a New California Republic T-shirt. Also, apparently his PipBoy is made from a phone that is playing back video footage of the pip-boy itself from the game, playing over an hour of music.

That's a Vault-Boy lunchsack at his side, too!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 12, 2013

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Speedball posted:

I was wrong it was a New California Republic T-shirt. Also, apparently his PipBoy is made from a phone that is playing back video footage of the pip-boy itself from the game, playing over an hour of music.

That's a Vault-Boy lunchsack at his side, too!

This cosplay puts a smile on my face. I love it!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Byzantine posted:

I just don't believe in the NCR enough to murder somebody who's never wronged me just because they say so (and also want all his stuff, which is rightfully theirs because they say it is).

The NCR doesn't really want anything that House has, though. New Vegas seems nice on the surface, sure, but officers are keen to point out that the city is bleeding them dry. Millions of caps are flowing into the city without any positive output to show for it, and large numbers of soldiers are tied down defending it when they're desperately needed to fight Caesar's Legion. What matters to the NCR is what House doesn't have: The Hoover Dam. The problem is that House refuses to deal with the NCR directly, and no-one can be sure if House is going to keep his word (Which, if you complete the game for him, he doesn't) or if his mysterious army of killbots are going to roll over the Mojave Outpost just as the Legion attacks the Dam. Whatever Mr. House personally owns, the NCR couldn't give two shits about taking it-it's all about securing their flanks and holding onto the objective they've spent a decade fighting for.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Well, I don't believe in House enough to murder a whole community, including perfectly innocent scholars and students, even if they were assholes who kind of wronged me. :colbert:

Also, they don't want House's stuff. They just want the Hoover Dam. That dam is no more House's than it is the NCR's. It's a prewar relic. Might as well be a natural land formation or mineral deposit.

Also, you don't have to kill him. It's not your fault that he made it so you can't just disable his capitalist overlord systems without messing up his stasis pod. If the choice were presented, I'd let him keep a suite and maybe his robot ladyfriend, but if he's basically tied his robot army controls to his life support, well, that's his problem.

Because that's all they really want... for him to not have a robot army. Is that really so much to ask? It's only morally complicated because of how House set himself up.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
In Fallout 1 the Brotherhood literally sends the player to his death just as a sort of joke.

Actually reading this thread in recent days I really want to revisit Fallout 1&2. Even though some of it is really broken badly. I am asking even though this is the NV-Thread: Where there any good mods that fix the worst issues?

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 12, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Police Automaton posted:

In Fallout 1 the Brotherhood literally sends the player to his death just as a sort of joke.

Actually reading this thread in recent days I really want to revisit Fallout 1&2. Even though some of it is really broken badly. I am asking even though this is the NV-Thread: Where there any good mods that fix the worst issues?

There's totally a Fallout 1&2 (and BoS and Tactics, if you're into that sort of thing) thread still kicking around somewhere in Games. Probably on like page ten, but I remember seeing it recently.

Reading this thread has actually rekindled my interest as well; midway into all the new replies this morning and I was firing up NV, gunning down powder gangers and getting slave-collared by the BoS. Good times, maybe I'll actually get some of the achievements I never managed to before this time :shobon:

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, House pretty much either doesn't realize, or can't accept that the world has moved on without him, and happens to be in the unique position to force it to acknowledge him and his desires, regardless of what everyone else wants or needs.

I don't disagree with this, but he doesn't really have a choice because the alternative to his plan is his death. Both the NCR and Legion want to kill him solely for being in their way, and it's not like he can up and leave. Is it really his fault that he doesn't want to just lay down and die just because two different groups decide they deserve to rule his city?

Sheen Sheen posted:

But the Courier's not just "some pissant courier," he's basically a loving demi-god as far as the Mojave is concerned. Seriously, the Courier's actions over the course of a few in-game months have an infinitely larger affect on the state of the Mojave than House's 200+ years of scheming or whatever. None of House's plans are going to get realized without the Courier.

That's the thing, though: House recognizes this, and immediately recruits the courier into his plan. He basically hands you the Lucky 38 suite and encourages the courier to have at it, he never lies to or messes with the courier, you have to betray him. And really, any courier who doesn't realize what a sweet deal House is offering and chooses to kill him is a bit of a pissant :colbert:

He's also the only faction head who treats the courier as something of an equal; he makes them his protege, sets them up in the lap of luxury and even loving offers the same immortality he has. The others essentially give the courier a trophy, a pat on the back and send them on their way. Kind of a "Thanks for doing all the work, now please move along we'll handle things from here" deal. Ending aside, I can't even think of a substantial material benefit in-game for siding with the NCR or Legion; I think you get about as much money either way, and I don't remember any unique rewards for any of the paths.

quote:

And siding with the NCR will make things better for the Mojave :c00lbert:

If anything, siding with House/Yes Man will make things better for the NCR by curbing their imperialistic bullshit and knocking down men like Kimball and Oliver.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 12, 2013

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Police Automaton posted:

Yo, I've put up the Unofficial Fallout 2 Restoration Patch (as it's called) along with a high-res patch. You have to use the "Palette-stealer" application, to shut off 64-bit windows graphics to make it work. It too me forever to find the right combination, but go ahead and try it out. Otherwise just play in normal 800x600px size.

Start with installing the resto-patch and make sure your game works. The patch fixes numerous bugs, like the disappearing High Way Man. It also adds a quest to save Sulik's sister, but I found it to be pretty boring (it features a bunch of fetch x of y quests, like WoW).

The files are on my private server: http://www.definedesign.dk/lol/FalloutFiles.rar
Enjoy :)

Death by Cranes fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 12, 2013

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Death by Cranes posted:

Start with installing the resto-patch and make sure your game works. The patch fixes numerous bugs, like the disappearing High Way Man. It also adds a quest to save Sulik's sister, but I found it to be pretty boring (it features a bunch of fetch x of y quests, like WoW).

Isn't there a Fallout 2 patch that's just the fixes? Not the content? In that case you can find the Fallout 2 Unofficial Patch (which contains just the fixes) at Killap's site.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Wolfsheim posted:

Both the NCR and Legion want to kill him solely for being in their way, and it's not like he can up and leave. Is it really his fault that he doesn't want to just lay down and die just because two different groups decide they deserve to rule his city?

I think the fact that House decided that this is 'his city' puts him on just as shaky moral ground as either of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Thanqol posted:

I think the fact that House decided that this is 'his city' puts him on just as shaky moral ground as either of them.

You mean the city he saved, protects and runs? That city?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Thanqol posted:

And the part where he evicted all the tribes except his three pet tribes using the force of the securitrons. House has no claim to the city other than violent force.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You mean the city he saved, protects and runs? That city?

Servetus posted:

And the part where he evicted all the tribes except his three pet tribes using the force of the securitrons. House has no claim to the city other than violent force.

Yeah, that city.

God, this game has the best arguments. We're all talking about the exact same stuff and yet opinions are as diverse in real politics.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Count Chocula posted:

A guy like that showed up in the Ask/Tell Roman History thread here, which was pretty funny and showed there's some realism in the idea of Ceaser's Legion.

Is there a link to that post? I'm curious to read up on what part of the horrible policies were actual rule or implemented in the legions. I've read my share of the political side of Rome, but not as much of the legions

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Thanqol posted:

House is the reason that Vegas isn't just another radioactive crater so unlike the NCR or the Legion he has every right to call it his city cause no one else pulled off something like that. Anywhere. He protected it from the bombs, he united the clans, he's keeping it safe.

Vegas is his legacy and he'd be stupid if he wouldn't do what's necessary to keep it that way.

One could argue that his methods are as morally questionable as those of the NCR or the Legion but, really, we're talking about a post apocalyptic world that's struggling to survive so any kind of moral ground is shaky to begin with.

In other words, he called dibs and of all factions he's the one with the oldest rights to it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

balakadaka posted:

Is there a link to that post? I'm curious to read up on what part of the horrible policies were actual rule or implemented in the legions. I've read my share of the political side of Rome, but not as much of the legions

I have a link to it in my bookmarks folder, it's that amazing.

quote:

Politically, culturally, economically, and socially, many modern societies are flawed in certain respects compared to ancient societies like that of Sparta. Modern America, for example, is oppressed by the nobility clause, does not have an explicit class-based society, and in many ways is governed and controlled by low class people given over to money. Importantly, the institutions are designed to be vulgar and are beholden to lower class interests.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Vegas is his legacy and he'd be stupid if he wouldn't do what's necessary to keep it that way.

One could argue that his methods are as morally questionable as those of the NCR or the Legion but, really, we're talking about a post apocalyptic world that's struggling to survive so any kind of moral ground is shaky to begin with.

In other words, he called dibs and of all factions he's the one with the oldest rights to it.

All these arguments apply equally well to, say, the Tsar of Russia in today's society.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Thanqol posted:

All these arguments apply equally well to, say, the Tsar of Russia in today's society.

Difference is that the Tsar didn't rule just one city in a world struggling to survive after a nuclear war.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Difference is that the Tsar didn't rule just one city in a world struggling to survive after a nuclear war.

That has nothing to do with your arguments, which were:

- He called dibs and has the oldest rights to it
- Russia is his legacy and he'd be dumb not to do something about it
- Since the world ended, morality doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'd be interested in seeing how much House apologism and dumb Randroid libertarianism overlap.