Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JHVH-1 posted:

Excalibur and Dragon... does anyone make a jacket called wizard or merlin?

Dainese also makes Druid gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Chichevache posted:

Dainese also makes Druid gloves.

Should you be pumping hurricane or armageddon with those?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Druids cast defensive and alacrity spells. They'll make you go faster and protect your skin!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Just wildshape and regain hp after an accident.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I've got a pair of smx-6 where the heel is beginning to wear through. Is there a way to resole them?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pope Mobile posted:

Druids cast defensive and alacrity spells. They'll make you go faster and protect your skin!

They're also surprisingly comfortable!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

KARMA! posted:

I've got a pair of smx-6 where the heel is beginning to wear through. Is there a way to resole them?
If you contact Astars they will resole for a fee.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

-Inu- posted:

If you contact Astars they will resole for a fee.

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's new helmet time!

I currently wear a Shoei RF-1100, which I love because it fits me like it was made for me, and the speaker cut-puts in the liner mean I don't have to reach in and tuck my giant goon-ears back. Anways, my question is does the RF-1200 for the same as the RF-1100? are there any comparable helmets that have the same head shape and cutouts? I won't go back to a mid-level HJC (I still wear my old CL12 when I ride on the west coast, a duty my Shoei will be retired to) and the fabric is too cheap and lovely for me to deal with after being spoiled by a top teir job, but I know HJC's super-premium offerings are on sale right now, how do they stand up compared to Shoei/Arai? How about Bell?

I ask this here because none of the crappy hear shops around me in CT have a decent variety of helmets for me to try on.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rf-1100 fits a bit different than the 1200. You'll just have to try it and see for yourself.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
A frigging antique store had this sitting on a shelf so I go "gently caress it" and try it on.

Fits better than anything I've ever put on. WTF. Do old helmets just fit better, or is Arai that nice?

Are Arai worth the price compared to Shoei?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Space Whale posted:

A frigging antique store had this sitting on a shelf so I go "gently caress it" and try it on.

Fits better than anything I've ever put on. WTF. Do old helmets just fit better, or is Arai that nice?

Arai helmets are super nice. Just don't buy it used. They go on sale from time to time at Revzilla and other dealers. Get a new one, in a box.

I seem to recall that Shoei and Arai and similarly shaped, so it may be that the Arai you tried is just a better shape for your noggin.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Shoei helmets fit me perfectly but Arais definitely don't, so there's going to be some sort of difference in the fit, anyway.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Arai's are one of the few helmets I know of that still come in a rounder shape, where everyone else seems to focus on the middle-of-the-road oval shape that fits most people's heads. My girlfriend has a rounder face and really loved Arais... too bad she was shopping for her first helmet and didn't wanna drop 600 dollars on it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Space Whale posted:

Arai and shoei are pretty comparable in terms of quality.
Just don't wear one from an antique store. You've got a lovely conversation piece there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

As an aside, that color pattern is :krad:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I seem to recall that Shoei and Arai and similarly shaped, so it may be that the Arai you tried is just a better shape for your noggin.

Nope, they're pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum.

e: Except the NXR which is much rounder than the rest of the range for some reason.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 6, 2016

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I seem to recall that Arai is one of the few manufacturers that makes helmets in pretty diverse range of head shapes?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ADINSX posted:

Arai's are one of the few helmets I know of that still come in a rounder shape, where everyone else seems to focus on the middle-of-the-road oval shape that fits most people's heads. My girlfriend has a rounder face and really loved Arais... too bad she was shopping for her first helmet and didn't wanna drop 600 dollars on it.
I hadn't intended to spend more than $300 on my helmet when I bought one last time, but then I tried the $550 Arai they had and it just fit my head so perfectly that I had to buy it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Elviscat posted:

I seem to recall that Arai is one of the few manufacturers that makes helmets in pretty diverse range of head shapes?

Yeah, and proper shell sizes too instead of just putting thicker pads in one shell to do two different sizes, IIRC? My Arai Profile is for long oval heads, for example. I think the Signet Q is the current equivalent.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Aside from the Signet Q, Shoei and Arai helmets are pretty dissimilar. I went from a Shoei Quest to an Arai Signet Q, because of forehead pressure in the Shoei. The signet Q is better in the forehead, but tighter in the cheeks, which makes sense and they sell thinner replacement cheek pads if it becomes an issue.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
My hjc rpha max is a bit cheek tight but fine otherwise.

Do they have other cheek pads?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A bit tight in the cheeks is perfect. Or you can pull the cheek pads and compress the foam a bit to get them to flatten a bit.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

-Inu- posted:

The AGV is a piece of poo poo IMO. Crappy leather, cheap zippers/construction, really weird fit, uncomfortable. We had them in the store for 8 months or something and sold 0 (partially because we never showed them to anyone because none of us liked them). The Rev'it will be more versatile and lightyears better quality-wise.

Thanks, ordered the Excalibur!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lexorin posted:

Aside from the Signet Q, Shoei and Arai helmets are pretty dissimilar. I went from a Shoei Quest to an Arai Signet Q, because of forehead pressure in the Shoei. The signet Q is better in the forehead, but tighter in the cheeks, which makes sense and they sell thinner replacement cheek pads if it becomes an issue.

I wear an Arai Vector 2, it fits me perfectly. The Shoei that fit most similar was a RF1100. Just a datapoint.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Shoei and Arai are completely different head shapes, deliberately. They have an agreement to not make same head shapes so as to not cut into eachothers sales. If that Arai fits you, you just don't have a Shoei head.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Schuberth helmets only fit Germans

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any custom fit ear plugs you guys recommend? I've been using these guys for the past few years, but they're starting to fall apart.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Webbikeworld did a massive earplug review a while back and found that nothing beats the rubbery disposable foam ones. I tend to agree, and have been experimenting with all kinds since I was a kid (shooting). I use Howard Leight or 3M right now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I like the ones from earplugsonline.com that someone linked a while back. They're some kind of wax stuff that you just press in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nothing better than the blue foam Hearos IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Xtreme-Protection-14-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ86A/

Cheap and super effective.

e: huh, never mind. Reading the Amazon reviews it looks like they changed the design a few months ago and they're lovely now. Lame. At least I still have like twenty left.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 7, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Nothing better than the blue foam Hearos IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Xtreme-Protection-14-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ86A/

Cheap and super effective.

For that price you can get a 100-pack of the orange 3Ms, which are basically the same thing.

But those are still good. There's a local music venue that gives those out for free so I always grab an extra pair when I go.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've never had a problem with how well the foam ones work, but the custom fit ones just fit well. And they never get moved when I'm putting my helmet on. I've got a ton of disposable pairs from work, so I'll give them another try soon.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If your disposables move around you haven't inserted them correctly, they're too small for your ears or they're a lovely brand.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 7, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The foam ones work fine for me on many bikes, but I never knew what proper ear protection was until I used the wax style ones from http://earplugsonline.com/ . I swear to you that they feel like they protect twice as much as the 3m ones, and allow me to ride loud and sharp thumpers in comfort. Unlike the 3m, I cannot wear them to concerts, because it blocks out so much. For bikes, I heartily recommend them.

Seriously just get a pair an try it it's not expensive, you have nothing to lose.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Collateral Damage posted:

If your disposables move around you haven't inserted them correctly, they're too small for your ears or they're a lovely brand.

What he said. I bought a set of custom moulded ear plugs some years back and found that the foamies I'd been buying at the chemist poo poo all over them. Properly inserted, there shouldn't be anything protruding enough for your helmet to drag on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What he said. I bought a set of custom moulded ear plugs some years back and found that the foamies I'd been buying at the chemist poo poo all over them. Properly inserted, there shouldn't be anything protruding enough for your helmet to drag on.

I think I must have pretty shallow ear canals because even when I put plugs in right there's enough protruding to snag on the neck roll of the lid as I pull it on unless I'm very careful. Custom plugs aren't an option for me because I lose poo poo literally all the time, it's more or less a superpower.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Try using smaller plugs and insert it angled upwards. That's what I have to do.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm in the process of getting my license (in Norway, so the mandatory training is quite extensive). The instructors swear by (and the school sells) Klim jackets and pants, but the OP doesn't mention this brand. Does anyone here have experience with Klim stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I roll a plug in my hand until it's as tight as it gets, reach over my head with the opposite hand and pull up on the top of my ear, then get the plug as far in as it will go and hold a finger over it while it expands.