Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Kenzie posted:

So yeah, that should be it I think. Bacarruda, let me know what you think about this.

Looks good. As long as Velius' HMGs keep the Russian's heads down, those Russian infantry won't be a threat to the Panther.

Make sure that Grey only uses the Target command for LOS checks and doesn't actually input a Target command.

Good luck and good hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Bacarruda posted:

Keep in mind you do have a platoon of Russian infantry north of you approaching the crossroads. You may want to either move further west or have a few men facing northeast at the end of the turn.

Fixed. :)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I could really, really use some artillery on the spot in the north where currently a whole company is lying prone in a potato field!

Another question... Kenzie, you should know this I think... can a normal infantry squad pick up the HMG left after my dead guys? Or can a weapon only be picked by the squad from which it originated?

Jaguars! posted:

Yes, they should have moved to scavenge with the mortars man, but didn't. The marked HQ is actually Mortar section HQ, 1-4 Platoon HQ is the one you've given orders to in the troll forest, I believe.

Wait... I've been told that mortars require the platoon HQ to be nearby because they don't have radios of their own. If 1-4 Platoon HQ is on the other side of the river, does it mean that 1st company's mortars are destined to be out of contact and therefore useless?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think I saw a radio on one of the guys when I was compiling the casualty report recently. One more thing to check!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Eh? What? Naptimes over? Something to do? Great! Wait...

Oh. Well, that looks fine too. Catch you next turn then. :tootzzz:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Fell Fire, an idea... If your mortars are out of contact, they should still be able to fire directly on their own, right? I mean - they should be able to fire at whatever they see. You might want to try giving them a direct order to fire somewhere.

No idea what their field of view is, though.

==

EDIT: In related news, can someone with the game (Velius, Kenzie?) please check what my mortars can directly see? I'm most interested in the area around McDonalds. Thanks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now that tank gambit feels like it could make or break our northern front and with it the game. Exciting!
Oh, and Jaguars!, thanks for the logos. Thanks to that, I just realized my Crouching Tiger is, in fact, a Panther. Let's just call it another layer of camouflage.

edit: If someone's checking - I'm fairly sure my Panther should be in position to wreck some infantry, but it'd be nice to be sure.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, and Jaguars!, thanks for the logos.

Ditto, thanks! :)

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

markus_cz posted:

Fell Fire, an idea... If your mortars are out of contact, they should still be able to fire directly on their own, right? I mean - they should be able to fire at whatever they see. You might want to try giving them a direct order to fire somewhere.

No idea what their field of view is, though.

==

EDIT: In related news, can someone with the game (Velius, Kenzie?) please check what my mortars can directly see? I'm most interested in the area around McDonalds. Thanks.

Thanks for the idea! Could I get the same for my mortars? Looking at the map, I don't think they have a good LOS where they are now.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Arbite posted:

Eh? What? Naptimes over? Something to do? Great! Wait...

Oh. Well, that looks fine too. Catch you next turn then. :tootzzz:

Oh, sorry I stole your tank. :commissar: I'm trying to take good care of it I swear!:ohdear:

markus_cz posted:

Well it's hard to tell their exact spot, but I don't think they'll be able to see anything. You've been trying to get ammo off of those trucks right?

If you're trying to get some direct-fire mortar shells onto those pinned down guys near the farm, I think you'll want to move. You shouldn't have to go far though.

markus_cz posted:

Another question... Kenzie, you should know this I think... can a normal infantry squad pick up the HMG left after my dead guys? Or can a weapon only be picked by the squad from which it originated?

I'm not sure... I know they'll pick up ammo and stuff from random dead guys from different squads. One time, one of my 4-man teams did not pick up an LMG from a dead guy from a different squad, but that might have been because they already had one. MGs and panzerschrecks are considered important squad weapons, so maybe they'll pick one up off the ground if they lost theirs? I think it might be that way to prevent having a whole squad filled with MG42 guys. I don't remember now.

It's also possible for the gun itself to be physically destroyed. If you have a HMG that gets hit with a tank shell or something, it will say 'knocked out' like it does with vehicles and your guys will abandon the gun.

markus_cz posted:

Wait... I've been told that mortars require the platoon HQ to be nearby because they don't have radios of their own. If 1-4 Platoon HQ is on the other side of the river, does it mean that 1st company's mortars are destined to be out of contact and therefore useless?

Err, maybe. If someone has time they can check the videos to see if one of the mortars is 'out of contact' when Grey clicks through the artillery menu. I'll try to check it in a little bit.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

^^^Kenzie: They are definitely out of contact, we're just not sure why. Thanks for the other answers.

2/4/Mortars

Continue offloading mortar ammunition from the trucks.

Grey, please, can you tell me how much mortar ammo is left in the trucks? I want to know whether I need to carry or or if I can use the trucks for something else. Thank you!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I cannot (figuratively) wait to go and read the discussion thread for this battle and watch the soviet turns. :f5:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

markus_cz posted:

^^^Kenzie: They are definitely out of contact, we're just not sure why. Thanks for the other answers.

If they're out of contact, I think we can still use them if Bacarruda's HQ moves up nearby with their radio.

TehKeen posted:

I cannot (figuratively) wait to go and read the discussion thread for this battle and watch the soviet turns. :f5:

Yeah I'm wondering what their morale is like now. And I was wondering how accurate a picture they have of our forces so far, with us falling back all the time. They're not gonna know how much damage they've been doing to us, especially since they're attacking. When you're attacking, you often won't know much about the defenders until you start occupying their former positions and you start finding their bodies everywhere. Grey doesn't really zoom down to that level of detail though, so maybe they have no clue about the casualties they've caused, except for maybe a few here and there.

Do they think that we're falling back deliberately, as part of a strategy? Or do they think we're retreating in a frantic, disorganized rout because we can't stand up to their attack?

I don't think they know about Arbite's Panther either, or else they wouldn't have made such a crazy charge across that field. Our tanks in the town have been in reserve for so long that the Soviets probably won't even have sound contacts.

I think they might have a sound contact on anilEhilated's Panther because it was moving around recently. They might still be too far away to hear Soup Inspector's Tiger moving up though. It depends on how fast it was moving.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I really hope the panther gambit pays off. It would be pretty glorious to knock out a platoon of IS2s in the next couple of turns.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TehKeen posted:

I really hope the panther gambit pays off. It would be pretty glorious to knock out a platoon of IS2s in the next couple of turns.
That could make or break their entire northern offensive; it seems to me they have the majority of their forces down south and if we stop those IS-2s we're pretty much clear on that side.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

As long as none of their tanks start moving around too much, I think those two leading IS-2s are dead meat. The 3rd one farther back, on the railroad tracks, might be able to reverse safely back behind the treeline again.

I'm wondering what's going through their minds with regard to those IS-2s. They are caught out in the open under heavy AT fire. Are they gonna move them or stay put? If they move, they won't be able to put down accurate return fire. All of our shots have bounced so far, so they might have a false sense of security and think they can stay put and slug it out. Then the Panther will pop up on their flank out of nowhere within the next 45~ seconds or so. The 88s and Tiger should start getting penetrations pretty soon as well. I'm surprised they haven't gotten one already.

The 88s are using Target Armor arcs right? How big are they? Should we turn them off now that they seem to be firing? Just in case one of the IS-2s slips outside of the arc a little bit.

I thought we would have hit the deadline by now.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Kenzie posted:

If they're out of contact, I think we can still use them if Bacarruda's HQ moves up nearby with their radio.

My HQ will move to link up with them this turn.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Bacarruda posted:

My HQ will move to link up with them this turn.

Oh. I guess that's what happens when I get so little sleep.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Speaking of moving HQs ... any contingency orders for 1st Company's HQ? They should probably end up somewhere in town, but even getting them started moving would be nice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Orders are final!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kenzie posted:

As long as none of their tanks start moving around too much, I think those two leading IS-2s are dead meat. The 3rd one farther back, on the railroad tracks, might be able to reverse safely back behind the treeline again.

It's not the actual plan that worries me so much as Grey's ability to replicate them, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Now we'll see.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not the actual plan that worries me so much as Grey's ability to replicate them, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Now we'll see.

Well I don't think Grey can blame me for unclear orders this time at least.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I really, really hope you guys know what you're doing with that panther! :f5:

1 Kompanie needs a temporary leader to replace dralun. I'll issue some orders for their next turn tomorrow morning so to keep things running smoothly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Right map this time!

48 hours to plot, I mean give orders

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It worked! That should effectively stop the northern advance, right?
I think I really need to see what I can see and possible coordinate something with Soup Inspector's tank since it seems we're still doing gently caress-all on the eastern front.
edit: Now, if the Russians on the field head up to deal with Arbite, we could just pop out of the town and shoot them in the rear end.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Oh yeah! Sorry about your guys, Dirt Worshipper and Dark_Swordmaster but now Kenzie Arbite should really turn around and advance in another direction. That ISU bloodied it's nose and will be sorry for peeking out soon.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
RIP northern 88, you guys did your job admirably. It was nice of Grey Hunter to scatter some foxholes across that field for the Russians to use during their advance.

That Panther needs to cover armor arc towards that remaining Russian tank ASAP

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Oh man. It worked! And I think we're in a decent position to move and attack some ISUs and T34s as they retreat since they're clearly not in a great position. We could really use some AT support for the infantry near the troll forest though.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

HAHAHAH I knew it would work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kenzie, Dirt Worshipper, as far as I'm concerned you glorious motherfuckers are never going to need to buy another drink ever. That was just loving brilliant.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TehKeen posted:

We could really use some AT support for the infantry near the troll forest though.
That's what I was trying to do for the last two turns but it seems the position didn't work again - now I think the tanks in town will have to wait for how the tanks near the Dong will react because there's potential for a lot of damage should they turn north.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Also, good job my pixelmen, I think it might be you that took out the ISU commander.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
gently caress yes! If nothing else, that should give them second thoughts about trying to work north again. :black101:

anilEhilated posted:

I think I really need to see what I can see and possible coordinate something with Soup Inspector's tank since it seems we're still doing gently caress-all on the eastern front.

That would be much appreciated. I think I'm going to unbutton next turn. Not sure if I should swing north to try to smack that ISU or if I'd be better served waiting for it to (hopefully) blunder into my sights.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Ahahaha! :toot: :woop:

Everybody involved in the tank battle, including our unrelenting 75mm guns which caused at least some spalling, great job!

And Velius, you magnificient bastard, it seems they aimed the artillery at your previous position. Continue surviving and laughing in the face of death. If you survive, I will nominate you for the Iron Cross.

Oh and our trucks, our trucks... you've just survived a third direct hit by their airplane. Go, airplane Magnets!

If anyone wants those trucks to transport anything, I think we should be about done with the ammunition offloading. Anyone wants to hitch a ride? I'm looking at you, AT guys. The remaining 88 mm might use some repositioning so it points to the north. It hasn't fired a single shot yet.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

markus_cz posted:

Ahahaha! :toot: :woop:

Everybody involved in the tank battle, including our unrelenting 75mm guns which caused at least some spalling, great job!

And Velius, you magnificient bastard, it seems they aimed the artillery at your previous position. Continue surviving and laughing in the face of death. If you survive, I will nominate you for the Iron Cross.

Oh and our trucks, our trucks... you've just survived a third direct hit by their airplane. Go, airplane Magnets!

If anyone wants those trucks to transport anything, I think we should be about done with the ammunition offloading. Anyone wants to hitch a ride? I'm looking at you, AT guys. The remaining 88 mm might use some repositioning so it point north.

Yeah, this turn went about as well as it conceivably could, best case all around. Panther rush not only blindsided the armor, but it seems to be slaughtering their infantry with total impunity; (do Russian infantry even have crappy AT grenades, or are they just completely helpless?) moreover, they're wasting a large amount of arty too far to the east of my MGs.

I'm shocked they didn't target the center of the farm, or the building my team is in from the start. Anyway barring craziness the northern flank is looking extremely secure. We need to figure out how to counter the southern push, preferably leveraging some armor since we've got a bunch of shredded squads down there.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

You still might get hit by a stray shot or they might redirect the artillery. Consider hiding or something.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

markus_cz posted:

You still might get hit by a stray shot or they might redirect the artillery. Consider hiding or something.

My outside team is pretty at risk, and I was thinking of moving him in any case. I think I need to check options for supporting the town now that the infantry threat is minimized.

Edit: Worst thing about this turn is that my guys aren't firing into the field anymore, that Panther is totally stealing my thunder.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Velius posted:

(do Russian infantry even have crappy AT grenades, or are they just completely helpless?)

If memory serves, Russian infantry do have AT grenades, but they can only use them within 30m of enemy tanks. So as long as we keep our distance and/or button up, they can do the square root of jackshit to our armour.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Velius posted:

My outside team is pretty at risk, and I was thinking of moving him in any case. I think I need to check options for supporting the town now that the infantry threat is minimized.

Sorry but I want you to stay at or around McDonald's. Worst case you fall back to the town and keep your eyes on McDonald's as the Russians are taking it over. There is still about a company of Russian infantry in the north and I want to have at least two guns there. Don't worry, you will still have enough to shoot at.

If someone should reposition to support the southeast of the town, it's the 1st company's HMGs that have been idling behind you and covering your potential withdrawal. I think it's Mans? Now that the danger in the north is smaller, we don't need four HMGs there.

EDIT: Arbite will be pincered by their tanks next turn.
EDIT2: Also I'm not sure if Gradenko has been firing at all.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus Christ i want to see the Soviet thread so bad after this turn.

• Locked thread