Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Just thinking out loud here... could I mount the 2.5" PS3 hard drive into an enclosure and copy the files off of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

Just thinking out loud here... could I mount the 2.5" PS3 hard drive into an enclosure and copy the files off of it?

I'm pretty sure it's encrypted (and presumably if there was a way to get around that, people would have posted it here already as an option to recover the data).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

No, the filesystem is encrypted. This may change if someone figures out how to easily obtain the encryption key used by a PS3 (filesystem encryption keys are console specific).

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Gaaaaaaaaaah gently caress

Edit: Our resident PS3 guru actually lives in the UK so shipping would probably make this a ridiculously expensive endeavor :(

How about mounting the drive in another PS3? Just to copy files?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 10, 2011

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

How about mounting the drive in another PS3? Just to copy files?

Also doesn't work. The encryption is tied to the specific console itself, this is why putting your old drive into a new PS3 doesn't work. Soon as you put the old drive into a new PS3, it will force you to format it.

I went through the exact same thing with my last YLOD, my advice is to just suck it up and move on, basically short of fixing your original PS3 there is no way to retrieve your save games. I lost three years of save games, but then you realise that it's honestly that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I just bought a PS3 this weekend and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

I have a questions about the Frag n Stein vs. the FragFX wireless.

Which one is better and why? I'd like to get one of these ordered asap and goons are the best source of info for things like this.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

bear is driving! posted:

Which one is better and why? I'd like to get one of these ordered asap and goons are the best source of info for things like this.

Forget those. Buy an external hard drive and backup your saves on a nightly OCD basis.

bubbapook posted:

Also doesn't work. The encryption is tied to the specific console itself, this is why putting your old drive into a new PS3 doesn't work. Soon as you put the old drive into a new PS3, it will force you to format it.

I went through the exact same thing with my last YLOD, my advice is to just suck it up and move on, basically short of fixing your original PS3 there is no way to retrieve your save games. I lost three years of save games, but then you realise that it's honestly that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

From a design perspective, this is absolutely idiotic.

Oh well, there are more important things in life.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I recently decided to bite the bullet and get a new PSN ID. I had to fiddle with e-mail addresses, changing PS3 IDs as well, and the worst part was losing my save files (and my Trophies, omg). They really should allow you to change your ID, just like you can with the Xbox.

It pained me to do it, but after I lost all my saves, I realized I didn't really care and all it meant is that (if I wanted them back) that I had to play through great games again.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I recently decided to bite the bullet and get a new PSN ID. I had to fiddle with e-mail addresses, changing PS3 IDs as well, and the worst part was losing my save files (and my Trophies, omg). They really should allow you to change your ID, just like you can with the Xbox.

It pained me to do it, but after I lost all my saves, I realized I didn't really care and all it meant is that (if I wanted them back) that I had to play through great games again.

Couldn't you have backed up your saves and then transferred them over, except for certain games that wont allow it?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Apparently patience is not my virtue. I couldn't stand the thought of not having a PS3 for weeks, and the idea of maybe having to...go outside or something, so I decided to cancel my trade in and just bought a new PS3 from Best Buy. I would hold out hope of eventually restoring my old PS3 and getting the saves off of it, but I'll probably plug in my old 320G hard drive into the new one as soon as I get it, wiping it anyway. Now I just have to figure out how to get to the disk that's stuck in the blu ray drive, I'm guessing full dissassembly of the system is required?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Would this be suitable for the ps3 slim http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread...find-205027%29. Would it fit etc? Thanks very much.

You know, ive been an xbox 360 person, but the past few days (got it 2 days ago), I am really seeing the PS3 shine. Are there any essential things I should get for it? I already have the media server but dont like the stuttering, hence the bigger HD.

henpod fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 10, 2011

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

Forget those. Buy an external hard drive and backup your saves on a nightly OCD basis.

Did you quote the wrong person or do I just not understand what you're saying?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Pre morning coffee. Misread.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Palleon posted:

I'll probably plug in my old 320G hard drive into the new one as soon as I get it, wiping it anyway.

You know, if you can use voodoo or something get it back up and running (even for an hour), and can knock off anything that isn't a copy-protected save, you can do a data transfer for the rest and then dispose of it at leisure.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Insane Totoro posted:

Pre morning coffee. Misread.

Really, because I thought it was funnier reading it as this guy who wants some kind of mouse for his PS3, but you recommend he not bother getting a mouse and playing games, and instead just get a hard drive and spend all his time just backing up saves as it would be the only way to prevent ending up in your situation.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

henpod posted:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Would this be suitable for the ps3 slim http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread...find-205027%29. Would it fit etc? Thanks very much.

You know, ive been an xbox 360 person, but the past few days (got it 2 days ago), I am really seeing the PS3 shine. Are there any essential things I should get for it? I already have the media server but dont like the stuttering, hence the bigger HD.

Should be okay. I always assumed anything that was 2.5" worked just fine.

I bought this one when it was $100-ish and it ran great. Personally I think the price on this huge drive is unbeatable for PS3-use.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148371

davebo posted:

Really, because I thought it was funnier reading it as this guy who wants some kind of mouse for his PS3, but you recommend he not bother getting a mouse and playing games, and instead just get a hard drive and spend all his time just backing up saves as it would be the only way to prevent ending up in your situation.

Who needs FPS games when you can have a 16 TB external hard drive to back up saves with?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822240055

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2011

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You know, if you can use voodoo or something get it back up and running (even for an hour), and can knock off anything that isn't a copy-protected save, you can do a data transfer for the rest and then dispose of it at leisure.

The system can't even get power anymore, the PSU has to be totally fried, along with god knows what else on the board. Unless the PS3 can run off a standard PC power supply, I don't see how I can get it running again without running through a lot of hoops that may or may not work.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
OPM has a boner about this game called "Catherine".
From the team that made Demon's Souls and Persona, Katsura Hashino has made an interesting psychological horror game not unlike the animes in the vein of "Perfect Blue".
You play as a dude who cheats on his pregnant girlfriend, and cue monsters made of distorted naked lady parts. The girl you cheated with apparently sends you risque text messages and pictures warning you never to cheat on your girlfriend (:psyduck:). Also a string of unexplained murders.
Huh.

A funny: Anyone see the ad for Splatterhouse? Not only is the tagline "Consider Yourself Warned.", but the only 'good' blurb they could get was Kotaku saying it's "bloodiest game of E3". Points for effort, I guess. In the ad. Not the game.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

bear is driving! posted:

If you wanted the best and cheapest mouse emulation you'll want to build yourself a XIM. If you aren't comfortable doing this then you'll want to get a Frag n Stein over the FragFX wireless.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Digital Scumbag posted:

From the team that made Demon's Souls and Persona, Katsura Hashino has made an interesting psychological horror game not unlike the animes in the vein of "Perfect Blue".
Sorry for the derail since this probably belongs in the games thread, but is Catherine getting a North American release? I saw the cover art for the xbox and ps3 versions a while back but thought they were just the Japanese releases. The game looks pretty insane but the videos I saw didn't give much indication of what the actual gameplay was like. In my head it's like Heavy Rain but with more nudity and cat drugs.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Hey, I heard that a PS3 firmware downgrade might be possible in the near future. If that ever comes to pass, might there be a way to get inside the hard drive of my YLOD PS3? Or am I just grabbing at straws?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Insane Totoro posted:

Or am I just grabbing at straws?
It needs to boot up to get at the hard drive. With YLOD you never even get that far.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
What if I had a second PS3? I mean just to get at the save files? And I put my hard drive in a working PS3? Weren't we able to swap hard drives without reformatting on earlier firmwares?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

What if I had a second PS3? I mean just to get at the save files? And I put my hard drive in a working PS3? Weren't we able to swap hard drives without reformatting on earlier firmwares?
As I already mentioned, harddrives are encrypted with a per-console key, so if that console that was using the harddrive died, no other console will be able to read it.

Now, depending on your YLOD, you may be able to get your system to boot. (for example, if the YLOD is being caused by a BDVD failure you could unplug the BDVD and the system might boot)

gibbed fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 11, 2011

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Crap that's right I'm an idiot.

How would unplugging the BDVD help?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 11, 2011

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

YLOD is just a general hardware failure in the initial system check before the OS loads or anything. At least that's how it was explained to me. If something fails that system check it YLODs and the boot is halted. So a faulty BDROM drive could trip the YLOD theoretically, but a missing one wouldn't; I know the latter from booting half-disassembled PS3s myself. So if (if if if) it's your BDROM drive that's causing the YLOD, then disconnecting it will allow your system to boot.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Casnorf posted:

YLOD is just a general hardware failure in the initial system check before the OS loads or anything. At least that's how it was explained to me. If something fails that system check it YLODs and the boot is halted. So a faulty BDROM drive could trip the YLOD theoretically, but a missing one wouldn't; I know the latter from booting half-disassembled PS3s myself. So if (if if if) it's your BDROM drive that's causing the YLOD, then disconnecting it will allow your system to boot.

Hmmmm... is there a guide online as to see how I could do this by myself? I do have a few electrical engineering friends who could help me out on this.

How would I even tell that it's the drive causing this? I had no signs of any problems prior to actually getting the YLOD.

Edit: I assume this would void my warranty? Not that I still have a warranty, but voiding any future chance that Sony would accept a repair?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 11, 2011

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

Hmmmm... is there a guide online as to see how I could do this by myself? I do have a few electrical engineering friends who could help me out on this.

How would I even tell that it's the drive causing this? I had no signs of any problems prior to actually getting the YLOD.

Edit: I assume this would void my warranty? Not that I still have a warranty, but voiding any future chance that Sony would accept a repair?

If you open up your system, Sony will refuse to repair it. Honestly, the best course of action for you is to just accept that the data is gone and move on.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I've also been told that if you break the warranty seal, Sony won't touch the system for any reason. I don't know how true that is. But it's a bit of information you may want before you go tearing that silver sticker off to get at the bolt that holds the top cover on.

I think I used this guide. http://www.llamma.com/PS3/repair/PS3_disassembly_tutorial.htm
You can ignore the stuff about the power supply. The BDROM drive just lifts out a bit, then you disconnect (carefully!) the ribbon cable and a small plug.

Please be smart about this! Read the whole thing and decide if you really want to risk losing out on a Sony repair on the slim chance it was your BDROM that failed. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you take a deep breath first.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Oh no I certainly realize that my data is probably lost. At this point I'm mainly just curious whether or not I've exhausted all other lines of possibility first.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
You could try getting some other third party to repair it and at least get the data backed up. I did have my 60 gig model repaired when it died after playing a lot of Assassin's Creed 2 (I think we should start blaming Ubisoft for this :v: ) and later gave it to a friend. When it died again Sony did the exchange for a Slim, so I think as long as you find someone that'll repair the system the same way Sony would they won't notice the difference.

I also got myself a Slim and did the data transfer before passing it on, so even the locked saves were mine again. Don't know if that's feasible for you or not. I would look into getting it replaced if you do get it repaired since once a YLOD happens it will inevitably happen again it would seem.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
A game by itself can't cause data to go corrupt on the hard drive, right?

This happened to me yesterday. A game froze on me. I restarted the PS3 and tried to play the game again. The game was episode 3 of the Strong Bad Telltale games. When I reached the same spot that the game froze on, an error message appeared saying that game data couldn't be read. I had to use that diagnostic menu and used Restore File System. The PS3 froze on a black screen. :( After another restart, another error message said that corrupted data was found and something had to be rebuilt. After that, everything worked again and nothing was missing. I downloaded the game again just to be safe and it worked without problems.

By the way, thanks Feenix for talking about the diagnostic menu a few days ago. I would have freaked out if I didn't know about that.

I'm going to check the hard drive to see if that's failing. I have a bad feeling it is.
edit after check : no problems found with the diagnostic tests done on a computer

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 11, 2011

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Casnorf posted:

I've also been told that if you break the warranty seal, Sony won't touch the system for any reason. I don't know how true that is. But it's a bit of information you may want before you go tearing that silver sticker off to get at the bolt that holds the top cover on.

I think I used this guide. http://www.llamma.com/PS3/repair/PS3_disassembly_tutorial.htm
You can ignore the stuff about the power supply. The BDROM drive just lifts out a bit, then you disconnect (carefully!) the ribbon cable and a small plug.

Please be smart about this! Read the whole thing and decide if you really want to risk losing out on a Sony repair on the slim chance it was your BDROM that failed. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just making sure you take a deep breath first.

I never heard about the seal being a problem. I opened mine up to dust it out after I started having problems seeing as it was out of warranty anyway... I guess the only thing it would fall under is the excessive wear and tear or abuse line in the service agreement? Where did you hear about them refusing to service out of warranty machines?

edit: After some quick google action, it seems the jury is still out on the subject. Looks like I'll have to wait for a phone call from Sony... Hopefully it won't be a problem (or more expensive). I'll keep you fellow broken PS3ers posted. Keep those systems closed up people!

bigman.50grand fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 11, 2011

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Gonna send Big Bertha (my PS3) back to Sony tonight. Good night sweet princess.

Jesus Christ is everyone getting YLODs after playing Assassin's Creed?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
It was last year when Assassin's Creed 2 was still new, but it started it with graphical glitches out the wazoo...actually I had played through AssCreed 1 right before it to refresh and that started it I guess, but the glitching was more subtle. It got worse and worse through AC2, but the actual YLOD happened when I tried to look at the Minis in the store :v:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Dazzo posted:

If you wanted the best and cheapest mouse emulation you'll want to build yourself a XIM. If you aren't comfortable doing this then you'll want to get a Frag n Stein over the FragFX wireless.

Here's a silly question - Why should I go through the trouble of building this when they make XFPS Pro devices for PS3 now?

Edit: Doesn't really matter I guess. I just ordered an Eagle Eye adapter.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 11, 2011

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Palleon posted:

If you open up your system, Sony will refuse to repair it. Honestly, the best course of action for you is to just accept that the data is gone and move on.

They repaired my system after I disassembled the entire thing, I even had 4 screws missing when I sent it in.

So long as the SN isn't missing and all the internals are there they don't really care. A voided warranty only is voided if you are under warranty. For my 60gig, both times I had to have it repaired it was out of warranty and they didn't give a gently caress if I tried to repair it myself.

edit; The only thing I can think of as to why Sony would care is if it had a mod chip or some sort of hardware modification that would break the EULA or TOS.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Insane Totoro posted:

Oh no I certainly realize that my data is probably lost. At this point I'm mainly just curious whether or not I've exhausted all other lines of possibility first.

Depending on where you live, (like a big city) there may be a fairly reliable place to get a repair done. For example, if you go to Yelp > San Francisco "Geeky Hacks" the business has like 60 reviews and all are 5-stars thanking him for saving their PS3s at a fraction of the cost. There are like 2 low-star reviews because the YLOD he repaired eventually came back.

But even in those, it worked for a while and he was able to allow them enough time (I'd imagine) to get data off.

Might be worth investigating.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Digital Scumbag posted:

This is probably best discussed (actually, it has been, what with some of the crazy rear end videos that have come out lately) in the Games thread, but that's some crack team of editors OPM has there. They got the director right but failed to notice that Atlus had gently caress all to do with Demon's Souls other than publishing it and maintaining the US servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Man PS3 mice can suck it, I can't believe how nice it is playing MAG with the Move. More FPS games need Move support because that poo poo owns hard. I can actually snipe in PS3 games now!

Which is basically all I do in MAG, well that and get killed repeatedly

• Locked thread