Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Looking to replace my aging WHS box, trying to decide between the Synology DS918+, Synology DS418play, or the QNAP TS-451+. Anyone have strong opinions?

I'm running Plex on a Shield TV and all three seem like they'll do hardware transcoding at 1080p w/ limited 4k support w/o issue so long as I've got a Plex Pass. None are significantly out of line pricewise for the basic model (I'll upgrade the RAM myself). All three look like they'll run the majority of the other software I care about easily as well.

I'm leaning towards one of the Synology boxes, mostly because they seem more popular. Heard enough good things about QNAP to make me second-guess myself though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Splinter posted:

I was not, but that's pretty cool. Looks like that means I could get a 4TB Red for $90 instead of $120? Might still just go with a normal Red for convenience, but that's something to consider. Thanks everyone for the feedback, sounds like Reds are still the way to go.

The 8tb ones were just down to $130, every few weeks they seem to dip to 160 ish. The 10tb were also at 180 or 190 recently as well.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tivac posted:

Heard enough good things about QNAP to make me second-guess myself though :(
Does QNAP support growing an array with mismatched drives yet? That seems like it could be an important consideration for a consumer NAS.

Moey posted:

The 8tb ones were just down to $130, every few weeks they seem to dip to 160 ish. The 10tb were also at 180 or 190 recently as well.
My Book drives hold pretty steady at $160 from B&H and they don't collect sales tax from California. I am using one that I haven't shucked (yet). Is there any reason to pick easystore over my Book?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CopperHound posted:

My Book drives hold pretty steady at $160 from B&H and they don't collect sales tax from California. I am using one that I haven't shucked (yet). Is there any reason to pick easystore over my Book?

Not at all. Since you already have it, you can check the model of the drive inside as well. It seems those are the same drives as the EasyStores.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Easystore seems to be the Best Buy version of My Book, so they don't have to price match My Book sales.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tivac posted:

Looking to replace my aging WHS box, trying to decide between the Synology DS918+, Synology DS418play, or the QNAP TS-451+. Anyone have strong opinions?

I'm running Plex on a Shield TV and all three seem like they'll do hardware transcoding at 1080p w/ limited 4k support w/o issue so long as I've got a Plex Pass. None are significantly out of line pricewise for the basic model (I'll upgrade the RAM myself). All three look like they'll run the majority of the other software I care about easily as well.

I'm leaning towards one of the Synology boxes, mostly because they seem more popular. Heard enough good things about QNAP to make me second-guess myself though :(

I don't have an opinion on the NAS' you are looking at, but your Shield TV should play back pretty much anything without transcoding. I am not sure how to set that up in the Plex client, but you can do it with Kodi, and there is a Kodi/Plex plugin that you can use if you want to use Plex's library. I do that but with Emby instead of Plex.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is always Stablebit Drivepool which is the spiritual successor to WHS. In fact some of the original MS devs are still developing the software. It works even better if it matters.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Does QNAP support growing an array with mismatched drives yet? That seems like it could be an important consideration for a consumer NAS.

That is an excellent point I'd forgotten to research! Thank you for reminding me!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't have an opinion on the NAS' you are looking at, but your Shield TV should play back pretty much anything without transcoding. I am not sure how to set that up in the Plex client, but you can do it with Kodi, and there is a Kodi/Plex plugin that you can use if you want to use Plex's library. I do that but with Emby instead of Plex.

I've tried both, I'm currently using the Shield TV as the Plex server and it shits the bed on anything with subtitles. I'd also like the option to stream to underpowered clients later, hence looking for NAS boxes with hardware transcoding support.

redeyes posted:

There is always Stablebit Drivepool which is the spiritual successor to WHS. In fact some of the original MS devs are still developing the software. It works even better if it matters.

I'm using drivepool now, it's been great! I don't want to manage a real server any more though, I've run out of free time and was hoping for a NAS that was pretty hands off after I got it up and running. Also had a hell of a time finding modern computer in a case sized like my HP N54L.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 29, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just get a synology 918+ for now great for Plex

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
My synology DS1817+ shows up tomorrow and I can't wait to get migrated over to the new chassis, coming from a DS416j. That 918+ looks like it would have been fuckin ideal in my situation, but when I first set this up either it wasn't out or was way more expensive.

4x 8TB disks in that DS416j which is bursting at the seams, gotta copy it down to the new NAS on the newly shucked 4x 8TB whitelabel easystore reds, then move those disks from the old NAS into the new NAS for 8x 8TB, then the old 4TB i first started with into the OLD NAS where they first were in, and then I think I should be good finally!!! Pain in the dick!!

At least the staging of the drives looks like a movie prop

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tivac posted:

That is an excellent point I'd forgotten to research! Thank you for reminding me!

I've tried both, I'm currently using the Shield TV as the Plex server and it shits the bed on anything with subtitles. I'd also like the option to stream to underpowered clients later, hence looking for NAS boxes with hardware transcoding support.

I'm using drivepool now, it's been great! I don't want to manage a real server any more though, I've run out of free time and was hoping for a NAS that was pretty hands off after I got it up and running. Also had a hell of a time finding modern computer in a case sized like my HP N54L.

If I were you I would possibly move to unRAID. That is in fact the only thing on my radar and I use DrivePool too. I'd use a Synology over a QNAP personally though I prefer unRAID.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is quite a nice looking box

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/RS1619xs+

Suffers from the usual Synology trait of not having enough RAM in, but that's an easy fix. Kind of feel it's time for them to move beyond strict RAID definitions though and onto more intelligent ways of distributing blocks based on maybe setting different acceptable risk levels for data, to try and make four bay units more viable without having to set them up as RAID10.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 30, 2018

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Pulling the trigger on the Synology 918+, also gonna grab a few drives.

Are the WD MyBook 8TB worth shucking, or should I pony up for the WD EasyStore 8TB from BB? They're currently about $50 more expensive but still $50 cheaper than buying an 8TB WD Red directly.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
My Books are WD Blues afaik, 64mb cache, 5400rpm

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Can you please wait a week or two? The EasyStores almost always drop.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Tivac posted:

Are the WD MyBook 8TB worth shucking, or should I pony up for the WD EasyStore 8TB from BB? They're currently about $50 more expensive but still $50 cheaper than buying an 8TB WD Red directly.

Dec 6th, BB is supposed to be doing more deals on hard drives, per their own website. Unknown model and size at this time, but history indicates they'll probably be EasyStore, and probably 8 or 10TB.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Dec 6th, BB is supposed to be doing more deals on hard drives, per their own website. Unknown model and size at this time, but history indicates they'll probably be EasyStore, and probably 8 or 10TB.

Oh rad, I'll hang back for a bit then and see what pops!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Tivac posted:

WD Elements 8TB are even cheaper and are usually HGST DC320s.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
8TB Easystores down to $139 from BestBuy via eBay.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks for this!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

forbidden dialectics posted:

WD Elements 8TB are even cheaper and are usually HGST DC320s.
From reading posts on the computer Internet, supposedly the "DC320s" in these are actually slowed to 5200rpm, and so are functionally equivalent to the EFAX/EMAZ drives – but these are air filled where the EFAX/EMAZ drives are helium. I guess?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Also $139.99 on bestbuy.com

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Just opened a 4TB easystore to expand my pool, and it's got a WD Blue in it. Should I try and swap it? Or is it only the 8 and 10TB easystores that have red/white drives in them?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

borkencode posted:

Just opened a 4TB easystore to expand my pool, and it's got a WD Blue in it. Should I try and swap it? Or is it only the 8 and 10TB easystores that have red/white drives in them?

Only the 8TB for sure, dunno about the 10. The 4 is whoknowswhat.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've done 8 8TBs and all are red/white. My two 4TBs were blue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A friend of mine just shucked a 4TB last night and got a red. Guess he was extremely lucky.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Finally got my old NAS upgraded into the shiny new Synology chassis, pool expanded and volume expanded, with some legroom to breathe!

8x8TB WDs, half reds (EFAX) half white-label reds (EMAZ)

Hurray for no more space anxiety for a while! But there's more! This DS1817+ Synology box has an expansion port - so of course i'm going to put in the front-side SSD cache.

1 TB of Raid 0 SSD Cache? why the gently caress not

Burly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I assume you are running 10G ethernet? Otherwise I don't get what those SSDs will give you. I mean I am jealous as hell!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
It's one or the other - 10g NIC or SSD Cache board.

It natively has 4x 1G teamed nics for I/O, which is also far more than sufficient for my use case but poo poo like time capsule gets rapidly improved with the front-end read cache, regardless of interconnect pipe size.

Thanks, cheap storage? I mean the pair of 512gb Crucial M.2 Sata SSDs that do the cache were $75 each and the addin card was $150, so for $300 having small file transactions instantaneous? Why the hell not!

Sniep fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 5, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Even though I like synology, the one big drawback is its hardware age. QNAP and even ASUS have 10G units shipped without an added cost.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
At least you get to pick and choose what's more important to you - the option of either Ridiculously Fast Line Rates, orrrrr Ridiculously Fast Small File IOPS

For my use case the latter made more sense since it's just my home server, but if you wanna slop raw HD video clips around all day with a team, then sure go 10gbit vs. the built in 4gbit

It does kinda suck though that they wont just put the 10g port on the box itself tho - I wonder what it'd add to the cost of the unit if they did?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FWIW, I just shucked two of these and both were white label drives (WD80EMAZ). I'll see if I can get them to work in my old DS215j, sounds like worst case scenario is I have to tape over the 3.3v pins for it to play nice.

E: Works swimmingly without any messing with the pins. The 215j is still not exactly an awesome NAS, but it can sit next to the router and store stuff which is about all I need.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 6, 2018

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
poo poo, I popped into this thread to ask if it would be worth it to put the 2x2tb HDDs in my old, slow, and loud DNS-321 with a diskless Synology DS218j that is on sale for $135 at Amazon but lol just gonna do this instead. thanks, goons.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Xerophyte posted:

FWIW, I just shucked two of these and both were white label drives (WD80EMAZ). I'll see if I can get them to work in my old DS215j, sounds like worst case scenario is I have to tape over the 3.3v pins for it to play nice.

Same, both were WD80EMAZ and worked easily in my DS918+!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

E: Works swimmingly without any messing with the pins. The 215j is still not exactly an awesome NAS, but it can sit next to the router and store stuff which is about all I need.

You only have to do the tape mod if the power supply has a 3.3 V line in the first place. This is generally only an issue when installing the drive into a PC; external enclosures or NAS boxes probably won't provide 3.3 V.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

10tb easystore for $180 are today's doorbuster over at Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-with-32gb-easystore-usb-flash-drive-black/6290669.p?skuId=6290669

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello I would like to ask a question about safe data backups.

My computer has full disk encryption, and I would like to backup my files securely. Are there any cloud backup services that can automatically my data using PGP and only give me access to the private key?

If not, what else can I do to store my data securely, I do not want a third party have access to a private key.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I virtualize FreeNAS with an LSI card passed through for my storage. Right now I have 2 mirrored stripes composed of 2x 4TB drives each for a total of 8TB of usable space.

On the same system I virtualize Windows Server 2016 which runs most of my services. FreeNAS is only used for storage and ZFS. I take periodic snapshots of data but have never had to use them.

I need to expand the size of my pool. I had been thinking about abandoning FreeNAS, buying Stablebit Drivepool and then moving all my files over to the WS2016 install.

Doing it that way I can use my 4x 4TB drives alongside the 2x 8TB drives I want to buy. Whereas in FreeNAS I would have to add another stripe to get that space, which decreases the fault tolerance of the whole thing, I think. Any thoughts?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 6, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there any modern analogue to the HP Proliant N54L that won't break the bank? I just need something in a compact chassis that will hold 4/5 drives and supports ECC RAM. Internal USB slot for me to throw the OS on is a plus but alternatively a 5th drive slot for an SSD or NVMe drive or whatever would work too but not essential.

I love the N54L but the processor and RAM limitations are a tremendous bottleneck nowadays and the newer Proliants all have wonky issues that I don't want to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sheep posted:

Is there any modern analogue to the HP Proliant N54L that won't break the bank? I just need something in a compact chassis that will hold 4/5 drives and supports ECC RAM. Internal USB slot for me to throw the OS on is a plus but alternatively a 5th drive slot for an SSD or NVMe drive or whatever would work too but not essential.

I love the N54L but the processor and RAM limitations are a tremendous bottleneck nowadays and the newer Proliants all have wonky issues that I don't want to deal with.

I haven't seen anything like it that's not homebrewed in a mini-itx case. I'm just gonna use my N40L until it craps out then switch to the N36L on the back shelf. After that it's a 45 disk rackmount chassis with deafening fans because gently caress it.