Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

fletcher posted:

I tried simply commenting out the cryptswap1 line from fstab to see if I could get it to boot but it still froze at the Xubuntu splash screen. So I changed "quiet splash" in the boot options to nomodeset and now I just get a black screen when booting.

edit: I noticed when I press the power button, the blank screen goes back to the console login prompt for a moment before shutting down. I tried resetting my xorg.conf but that didn't seem to help.

As TelcoM said, nomodeset might cause additional problems; what you want is splash=verbose in order to disable the splash screen (what is Ubuntu using anyway? plymouth?) and see what's going on. I'm not convinced the swap setup is actually the problem, since everything looks to be fine in /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab. Could you create a swap partition via mkswap /dev/sda5, uncomment the fstab entry and comment the crypttab entry, using a normal swap partition for testing? If your problem still exists, the swap isn't the problem. If the problem goes away, we can have a proper look at what's going on.

Right now though, this looks like more than one issue happening simultaneously to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Intel integrated graphics question. Anyone know of a kernel patch that would allow xrandr set scaling for external displays? I can see a bug for radeon drivers on freedesktop.org. Weird that this hasn't been implemented yet.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
My former colleagues on the desktop team at Red Hat now have a job open for anybody interested to take over my place. You won't regret it -- it was an amazing team to work with.

https://jobs.redhat.com/jobs/descriptions/senior-software-engineer-westford-massachusetts-job-1-4732322

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Suspicious Dish posted:

My former colleagues on the desktop team at Red Hat now have a job open for anybody interested to take over my place. You won't regret it -- it was an amazing team to work with.

https://jobs.redhat.com/jobs/descriptions/senior-software-engineer-westford-massachusetts-job-1-4732322

I'm getting an SSL cert error on that page

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I have a GTK question that's making me feel very stupid.

I'm using the Cinnamon desktop and trying to use the controls from this theme, specifically the MediterraneanLight variety. The only problem is that the text for the desktop icons is dark gray, which is hard to read on my plain black desktop. So I'm trying to tweak the theme to make that text white.

If I change the fg_color value in MediterraneanLight/gtk-3.0/gtk.css from #323232 to #ffffff, that does the trick... but it unfortunately does it for too many things, like icons in file manager windows and the text in the theme settings window itself, making it all unreadable.

Obviously the color definition for fg_color is being used for a lot of things, but damned if I can figure out which one controls only the desktop icon text color.

This is making me feel stupid because I know I figured this out once before, the last time I used this theme. Can anyone point me back in the right direction?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured I'd try this thread since it looks like we have some vendor insiders in here. How do distribution vendors perform QA on their distributions and determine what combinations of packages will end up shipping as a release? I can understand doing this kind of thing for a single software product with complete control of the development cycle in some kind of continuous integration tool. I don't understand it as a series of packages from disjoint developers and vendors with their own objectives. It's something I want to know generally for some work stuff I do now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured I'd try this thread since it looks like we have some vendor insiders in here. How do distribution vendors perform QA on their distributions and determine what combinations of packages will end up shipping as a release? I can understand doing this kind of thing for a single software product with complete control of the development cycle in some kind of continuous integration tool. I don't understand it as a series of packages from disjoint developers and vendors with their own objectives. It's something I want to know generally for some work stuff I do now.

Basically, we'll never have enough time to fix everything, so...

• You file a bug (or QE does -- Red Hat QE is well-regarded for a reason, even if they just mechanically break things; almost all of my bugs come from QE, not customers)
  • That bug gets targeted against version 1.2.3, unless it gets a NAK for whatever reason (I don't have time to fix this, or it's way more involved, or something else is in the pipe which'll make it irrelevant or whatever). Hopefully the fix makes it into that version.
  • I write a patch which fixes that bug, and change the state of the bug
  • Once that patch is pulled in (merged upstream, merged upstream and rebased downstream, cherry-picked, whatever), hopefully after other people have looked at my patch and verified that it works and looks sane, the state of the bug gets changed again
  • There's an build system internally for packages, and we try to keep packages rolling for testing. So bug #1 has a patch and we say that foo-bar.1.2.3 has the fix
  • QE picks up the package and tests it (there are a number of different QE teams for virtualization, desktop, storage, etc, who pretty much just test those products and are quite familiar with them)
  • QE says: "we tested this and it fixes bugs #1,2,3 but we found new bug #4", or "we tested this and it fixes bugs #1 and #3, but not #2". Unless #2 is marked as a release blocker, it's ok if it's not fixed -- it just gets retargeted to the next version
  • If it passes QE with no blockers, it gets handed off to another team who signs it for release and tags it into a repository which says "this package is good for a release"
  • An errata gets filed (or was already filed) which has the release date of foo.bar, and the build gets attached
  • Documentation writers go look at the fixed bugs and determine whether they're interesting or confusing enough to need better explanation
  • The entire package in the errata system gets release notes (some of which are already in the package specfile, but these are what you find in the errata instead of the package changelog
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------
  • Another team whose job it is to compose Fedora or whatever goes to build an image
  • foo.bar.1.2.3 got marked as good for release, so it's part of somedistro-2.3.4
  • A script checks that everything in somedistro-2.3.4 is signed (which means all the packages tagged there have already passed QE and are ok to go)
  • If it's signed, it generates a repository including those packages
  • Official images (from kickstarts and the usual build tools, just pointing at that repository) are generated
  • Those images are attached to errata, and another QE team sanity checks the whole thing (install works, "feature" cases like install on iSCSI root or kickstarting from bonded, vlan-tagged interfaces works, or whatever)
  • If those signed images pass QE, they get the same documentation/etc treatment
  • The whole shebang is staged on FTP and in the repositories
  • Release date comes, it's available
And this misses out on a bunch of intermediary steps (snapshot builds, release candidates, vendor previews, private/internal betas, maybe dogfooding, etc).

Basic answer is that the packages are tested separately before they go into a build, then the build is tested as a whole. Too much would change even on a daily basis to make holistic testing of images to check bugs in any one package reliable.

If you're really interested, volunteering somewhere can teach you a lot. The Fedora project is always looking for interested people, and the Fedora release engineering group does many of the same things.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hollow Talk posted:

As TelcoM said, nomodeset might cause additional problems; what you want is splash=verbose in order to disable the splash screen (what is Ubuntu using anyway? plymouth?) and see what's going on. I'm not convinced the swap setup is actually the problem, since everything looks to be fine in /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab. Could you create a swap partition via mkswap /dev/sda5, uncomment the fstab entry and comment the crypttab entry, using a normal swap partition for testing? If your problem still exists, the swap isn't the problem. If the problem goes away, we can have a proper look at what's going on.

Right now though, this looks like more than one issue happening simultaneously to me.

I think you are right, something else is going on here. I tried splash=verbose and saw a some text scroll by instead of the splash screen, but then I still end up at the blank screen. I'm tempted to just format the box and start fresh. Gonna write some chef recipes to handle the HTPC config this time so I don't have to think about it next time it dies or I want to upgrade it to a new machine.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
How do you guys keep up on cutting-edge'ish technology? I stumbled across Apache Mesos and it looks awesome, but evidently it's been around for quite a while now.

Are there certain news sites that cater to new stuff?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

hackedaccount posted:

How do you guys keep up on cutting-edge'ish technology? I stumbled across Apache Mesos and it looks awesome, but evidently it's been around for quite a while now.

Are there certain news sites that cater to new stuff?

Depending on how much libertarianism and startup buzzwords you can tolerate, Hacker News sometimes has good discussions, links and projects posted. Since it's run by Y Combinator, a startup aggregator, you naturally get quite a bit of "The Uber for X" kind of posts. It's not too bad a site, though. Not sure if the things discussed are cutting-edge enough or fit your general requirements, though!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Anyone know how to programmatically get the network/subnet mask of an instance in Google Compute Engine without making actual API calls? There's no equivalent of AWS's subnet-ipv4-cidr-block available through 169.254.169.254 and the information isn't available on the interface itself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Perhaps I have just had extremely good luck over the years, but I would find it difficult to think of a laptop that didn't work flawlessly under Linux.
Funnily enough, I've been having repeated troubles getting an Arima w651di laptop to work with Ubuntu 14.04. It was working reasonably well with 12.04 back when I first installed it, with a little bit of fiddling around trying to get the touchpad to work.

Now, the bastard thing won't stop overheating and/or needing a complete reinstall every few days. I don't even do anything that demanding; just Firefox, the odd bit of writing, GIMP and Darktable. Yet the GPU and system ambient temp still hit about 60° just from sitting at the desktop, and the fan is on its medium setting all the time. The fan briefly comes onto medium in Vista if I'm working, but is otherwise quiet, so I don't think it's the system.

It seems (from looking at the output of psensor) that it's the GPU that's overworked, mostly because it's using a very old proprietary driver - the latest AMD drivers don't support the built in Mobilty Radeon 2400XT.

Things i've tried:

- Installing the Legacy Catalyst drivers from the AMD site (didn't work, followed some instructions to force it to install, system booted to a corrupted display so had to reinstall)
- Installed laptop-mode-tools (display became corrupted unless mains power was connected, had to reinstall)
- tried a script that claimed to be able to throttle the system cpu usage (probably hosed it up because I'm dyspraxic and got booted to a black screen, had to reinstall)
- installed psensor and indicator-cpufreqd, set power profile to powersave (seems to help, but the laptop keeps randomly changing the profile back to ondemand)
- Installing the Catalyst Control Centre from the Ubuntu software centre (now reboots to a blank screen, so probably going to have to reinstall)
- Gave up and played Diablo 3 on the Xbox (currently most succesful option).

Most of these options have culminated in me having to reinstall Ubuntu, which I'm beginning to get sick of doing to be honest. I mean I frigging love using it when it's working, don't get me wrong. It just seems like if you don't know what you're doing 100% (which I don't - I'm guessing my way after a lifetime of using Windows) it's insanely easy to completely break it and there's no sign of a safemode in GRUB, at least as far as I can see.

I think I had it reasonably stable last time and hosed up messing about in the software centre - ubuntu-restricted-extras didn't install correctly so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling about the same time as I tried manually installing the CCC, and it now sits at a blank screen.

So, reinstall once more...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'd like to switch to linux on this machine but I'm having a little trouble replicating what I'm currently doing in windows with GridMove. All of the mainstream linux desktop environments have more or less borrowed Windows 7+'s window snapping, which is fine on my primary display. However, my secondary display is a 24" widescreen in portrait mode, which is laid out like this in windows:

with the screen divided vertically into 2/3+1/3 instead of 1/2+1/2 (and the upper 1/3 split in half as usual). In windows Gridmove lets me define a grid and then snap windows into their tiles just by dragging them there (also hotkeys).

I've played around in KDE Plasma 4 the most and I've cooked up a KWin script that snaps windows where I want them to go but I can't find any way to change (or replace) the behavior when you drag a window to the edge of the screen. My experience in Xfce and Cinnamon has been similar, except that I haven't tried to find a workaround like the kwin script. The biggest thing, though, is I don't want to have to use hotkeys, I want to do it by dragging the windows around. Beyond that I'm not beholden to any desktop environment except that I'm not a fan of gnome 3 and I don't think a tiling window manager is what I'm looking for after a little dabbling in awesome/i3 (maybe I'm wrong :iiam: ). If I could just tell KWin to do what I've scripted when I drag windows to certain edges/corners it'd be loving perfect.

Any suggestions?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 19, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

How do I get "systemctl -P xxx" to try to authenticate me over ssh? I have a (fedora 20) desktop where it works in a terminal session in X, but sshing into it and trying the same thing doesn't work.

Also, is "systemctl -P -H host xxx" supposed to work like I want it to?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
code:
Starting nginx: nginx: [emerg] SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file("/etc/nginx/shared/certificates/my-private-key.key") failed
 (SSL: error:0B080074:x509 certificate routines:X509_check_private_key:key values mismatch)
Is there a way to verify my csr, key, and crt file are all OK with openssl?

edit: found it https://kb.wisc.edu/middleware/page.php?id=4064

And figured out my issue! The dude that sent me the crt file missed a single hyphen at the beginning of the file. gently caress that took way too long to figure out.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Embarrassingly, wrappers (python, Perl, whatever) are often better than openssl's utilities for this stuff

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm thinking of putting a Linux distribution on a USB key to keep handy. Is Knoppix still the default option for a simple and relatively full featured portable distro, or is there something better these days? I'm most familiar with Debian based stuff so would prefer that.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Where can I find a 32 bit version of libGL.so.1? I only have the 64 bit version and Dwarf Fortress needs the 32 bit version, but I cannot find it in any package.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

Where can I find a 32 bit version of libGL.so.1? I only have the 64 bit version and Dwarf Fortress needs the 32 bit version, but I cannot find it in any package.

Distro? It's probably mesa.i686 or whatever, but what distro? And are they binary drivers?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

evol262 posted:

Distro? It's probably mesa.i686 or whatever, but what distro? And are they binary drivers?

Sorry, I'm using Xubuntu. I don't know if they are binary drivers, does that just mean they're compiled? It's an ELF if that helps.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

reading posted:

Sorry, I'm using Xubuntu. I don't know if they are binary drivers, does that just mean they're compiled? It's an ELF if that helps.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=trusty&arch=i386&mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=libGL.so.1

Looks like it depends on your graphics card.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

All drivers are ELF in this case. "Binary" means "binary blob" (not open-source; proprietary drivers from nvidia/AMD, generally). Did you install "restricted" drivers? What's your GPU and the output of lsmod?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mod sassinator posted:

I'm thinking of putting a Linux distribution on a USB key to keep handy. Is Knoppix still the default option for a simple and relatively full featured portable distro, or is there something better these days? I'm most familiar with Debian based stuff so would prefer that.

Just use a regular Ubuntu USB key with persistant storage enabled.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
I want to use a raspberry pi (running Debian) as a network repeater(router?), and I think I went over my head.

This is my setup:
pre:
[Internet] ---> [cheap SOHO router A] ---LAN A---> [RPi] ---> [cheap SOHO routerB] ---LAN B
I'm stuck on a networking issue. I can't ping Router B from my RPi, even though devices on LAN B can ping the RPi. When I try to ping the RPi's NIC to Network A from devices in LAN B, I get destination unreachable.

Between the Pi and Router B, I have static IP set on the RPi, and RPi assigns IP via DHCP to the router, ip route show displays both networks as connected, and the router received the DHCP configurations.

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this.

nescience fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 21, 2014

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

nescience posted:

I want to use a raspberry pi (running Debian) as a network repeater(router?), and I think I went over my head.

This is my setup:
pre:
[Internet] ---> [cheap SOHO router A] ---LAN A---> [RPi] ---> [cheap SOHO routerB] ---LAN B
I'm stuck on a networking issue. I can't ping Router B from my RPi, even though devices on LAN B can ping the RPi. When I try to ping the RPi's NIC to Network A from devices in LAN B, I get destination unreachable.

Between the Pi and Router B, I have static IP set on the RPi, and RPi assigns IP via DHCP to the router, ip route show displays both networks as connected, and the router received the DHCP configurations.

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this.

I'm not quite clear why you need the pi here at all.

It looks like LAN B is its own little NAT universe underneath LAN A. With you so far, but why not just plug Router B's public-facing port straight into LAN A? What does the pi actually DO for you here?

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Powered Descent posted:

I'm not quite clear why you need the pi here at all.

It looks like LAN B is its own little NAT universe underneath LAN A. With you so far, but why not just plug Router B's public-facing port straight into LAN A? What does the pi actually DO for you here?

The overall project is a WAP for a RV. Certain campground charges per device access, the idea is to connect to a WLAN with the RPi, which lets my parents join the network and use a browser for any authentication that might be needed, with the RPi going to the router, they can connect the rest of their laptop/phones. The WLAN interface on the RPi is also using an externally mounted antennas to pick up signals better than the built in NICs inside the vehicle. I think my NAT/Forwarding might be messed up right now too, but I don't understand why I'm having the issue with pinging my LAN B from the Pi =/.

nescience fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 21, 2014

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Thanks for this, I installed the nvidia-331 one (I've got an NVIDIA card) and now dwarf fort works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nescience posted:

The overall project is a WAP for a RV. Certain campground charges per device access, the idea is to connect to a WLAN with the RPi, which lets my parents join the network and use a browser for any authentication that might be needed, with the RPi going to the router, they can connect the rest of their laptop/phones. The WLAN interface on the RPi is also using an externally mounted antennas to pick up signals better than the built in NICs inside the vehicle. I think my NAT/Forwarding might be messed up right now too, but I don't understand why I'm having the issue with pinging my LAN B from the Pi =/.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure they make travel routers that serve this purpose and that cost around the same as a rPi.

Maybe one of these?

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-travel-routers-1452441479

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure they make travel routers that serve this purpose and that cost around the same as a rPi.

Maybe one of these?

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-travel-routers-1452441479

All the ones in that thread doesn't seem to have a desktop-esq environment to log in to authenticate into some networks :(, also we're using a boosted antenna on the RPi. I just don't recall having this much issue with networking before, maybe I should bring this to the RPi/Networking thread? It just seemed more like generic linux networking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nescience posted:

All the ones in that thread doesn't seem to have a desktop-esq environment to log in to authenticate into some networks :(, also we're using a boosted antenna on the RPi. I just don't recall having this much issue with networking before, maybe I should bring this to the RPi/Networking thread? It just seemed more like generic linux networking.

All you have to do is login to the wifi with a connected device. See the comments on that page for more detail.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Thermopyle posted:

All you have to do is login to the wifi with a connected device. See the comments on that page for more detail.

this was the case for me with with Airport express anyway. But that was hardwired to a hotel internet using the RJ45 and client devices connecting via wifi.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

nescience posted:

Okay then, suddenly your project makes a lot more sense.

Using a pi as a wireless-to-wired bridge ought to be fairly straightforward, so let's have a look at your settings. Can you give us the output of the following:

code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep ip_forward
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
route
sudo iptables -L

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Powered Descent posted:

Okay then, suddenly your project makes a lot more sense.

Using a pi as a wireless-to-wired bridge ought to be fairly straightforward, so let's have a look at your settings. Can you give us the output of the following:

code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep ip_forward
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
route
sudo iptables -L

It was my IP tables :( when you told me to iptables -L I found the ones I was missing to accept traffic from eth0 :derp:

I still can't ping my Router B though. Maybe it's like a security feature on the WAN port? I'm feeling really dumb now.

nescience fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 22, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there an idiots guide to reading Smartctl data? It outputs so much it's hard to to get a grasp on it all.

My wife's laptop poo poo the bed and I'm trying to figure out of the hard drive is bad before I restore it and copy all her stuff back over.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there an idiots guide to reading Smartctl data? It outputs so much it's hard to to get a grasp on it all.

My wife's laptop poo poo the bed and I'm trying to figure out of the hard drive is bad before I restore it and copy all her stuff back over.

Is installing a front end not an option?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

FISHMANPET posted:

smartctl -A and then reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

nescience posted:

It was my IP tables :( when you told me to iptables -L I found the ones I was missing to accept traffic from eth0 :derp:

I still can't ping my Router B though. Maybe it's like a security feature on the WAN port? I'm feeling really dumb now.

Could be, some routers have an option to not return pings from the public side.
What I'd try next would be to plug in a regular computer in place of router B, and then see if you can ping that from the pi. That should at least tell you which side the block is on, the router or the pi.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Get the UBCD and use the tool provided by the manufacturer of the drive.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Didn't see this posted in here yet, it sounds pretty bad

http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Don't ever trust bash for anything. Service accounts (including git) should be nologin or a service shell (like git-shell). This is not the first security problem and will not be the last