Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cowcatcher posted:

I have a Torch and can install the BB Protect app, yet it doesn't work when I try to locate it from the website/send a message/ring.
I installed BB Protect on my Bold 9780 and my Dad's Tour 9630. Everything works fine and I've never associated any kind of payment system with my BlackBerry ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
It seems to take a few days to start working, and even then the service will cut out once in a while, but most of the time it will work.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Research in Motion CEO Mike Lazaridis: Media Relations savant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izUG8Zep02s#t=1m15s

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

The SituAsian posted:

Research in Motion CEO Mike Lazaridis: Media Relations savant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izUG8Zep02s#t=1m15s

Jobs and Ballmer went crazy before their companies struck gold, maybe this will save RIM

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So I (we all) got switched from windows mobile to blackberry at work a couple months ago and some of us are not understanding something. I'd never used one before. They're coming to me since I do the handheld part of the activations for our office. Helpdesk does the backend.

It is enterprise activated with a BES. When I delete messages in outlook or move them out of inbox to another mailbox folder or a pst folder it still shows in inbox of the blackberry.

Our help desk people have told me to make sure I have "delete on handheld and mailbox" checked in reconciliation options, it always is. They've had me re-do the enterprise activation (the handheld part) and regenerate encryption keys on mine and several others but the old messages are still there.

I've seen something on a forum I found googling saying that if you shift-delete messages in outlook (I do) or always empty your deleted items folder real fast the bes won't sync it for some reason. You have to let them sit and stagnate in deleted items for a while. (what if I want to move to a folder?) but all that was from 2006 and surely doesn't apply?

Something else was talking about either an exchange server patch or a bes patch that needs to be applied to correct behavior like this, any ideas?

Also, do corporate plans with Verizon typically allow tethering and is there any wifi hotpot thing I can run on here? It's a curve 9330.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 22, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Wagonburner posted:

So I (we all) got switched from windows mobile to blackberry at work a couple months ago and some of us are not understanding something. I'd never used one before. They're coming to me since I do the handheld part of the activations for our office. Helpdesk does the backend.

It is enterprise activated with a BES. When I delete messages in outlook or move them out of inbox to another mailbox folder or a pst folder it still shows in inbox of the blackberry.

Our help desk people have told me to make sure I have "delete on handheld and mailbox" checked in reconciliation options, it always is. They've had me re-do the enterprise activation (the handheld part) and regenerate encryption keys on mine and several others but the old messages are still there.

I've seen something on a forum I found googling saying that if you shift-delete messages in outlook (I do) or always empty your deleted items folder real fast the bes won't sync it for some reason. You have to let them sit and stagnate in deleted items for a while. (what if I want to move to a folder?) but all that was from 2006 and surely doesn't apply?

Something else was talking about either an exchange server patch or a bes patch that needs to be applied to correct behavior like this, any ideas?

Also, do corporate plans with Verizon typically allow tethering and is there any wifi hotpot thing I can run on here? It's a curve 9330.

To fix the shift-delete thing, your BES admin needs to enable reconciliation of hard-deleted messages. I don't remember exactly what the option is off the top of my head, but they should be able to find it.

The reason why is that the BES scans for deletes by looking at where messages move on the Exchange mailstore. If you normally delete something, it goes into deleted items, which the BES can see. If you shift-delete, then it never sees the message move, and ignores it. The fix for this is to turn on a message caching mode on the BES which keeps a record of the past 50-1000 messages in each user's mailbox which it then compares against the messages currently in the mailbox each time it rescans - if a message is gone on the mail store that exists in the cache, it realizes that the message must have been deleted and removes it from the handheld.

I don't know if you can do it on BESx, it might be BES-only.

Also you typically have to pay extra for the tethering plan. I think there's some apps you can buy that will enable it for free, though. Look for an app called 'Tether'.

edit - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04853 is the KB on how to enable the hard delete reconciliation

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Thank you, I'll pass that along. Though I really was hoping we were doing something wrong with the phones and we could check one little checkbox and be good. (We're a really tiny office of a really big company, it's hard to get them to listen to us sometimes.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can confirm I got it working with BESx too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I just switched to sprint EPRP and grabbed two blackberry styles and a incogneto for my son. We will save over 2grand in two years thanks to this.

Anyways, I came from a HD2 running cm7 and I am actually really impressed with BBOS6. My last blackberry was a bold9000, and I am in love with this phone.

Sure the browser isn't that great and flash doesn't exist, however:

The battery life is better than the HD2
The Call Quality is better the HD2
I still love the email application better than android
I think the music application is better than the stock android experiance, and better than *most* 3rd party android music players.

Overall, I would give the phone a 8/10.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So any of you guys going to make the playbook plunge? For all those... compelling reasons that I can't think of right now...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have a 64g Playbook now that I had preordered on the first day. It needs a couple of additional updates to add features that weren't ready for the release date and to deal with a few issues but so far it has been great. I am bridging it to my Storm 2 which allows me to check and answer e-mail and have calendar and PIM access as well as permitting no fee tethering access through the Bridge connection browser. I also have a 4G hotspot that I use for access as well. Multitasking and multimedia and video recording is very strong and its nice to have solid flash and html5 in the browser.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yuns posted:

I have a 64g Playbook now that I had preordered on the first day. It needs a couple of additional updates to add features that weren't ready for the release date and to deal with a few issues but so far it has been great. I am bridging it to my Storm 2 which allows me to check and answer e-mail and have calendar and PIM access as well as permitting no fee tethering access through the Bridge connection browser. I also have a 4G hotspot that I use for access as well. Multitasking and multimedia and video recording is very strong and its nice to have solid flash and html5 in the browser.

Do you know your user agent? I want to check my logs to see if anyone's using them amongst visitors.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Scaramouche posted:

Do you know your user agent? I want to check my logs to see if anyone's using them amongst visitors.
Mozilla/5.0 (PlayBook; U; RIM Tablet OS 1.0.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/0.0.1 Safari/534.8+

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

So any of you guys going to make the playbook plunge? For all those... compelling reasons that I can't think of right now...

Get an iPad 2. The iPad is a lot better "SRS BIZNESS" tablet than the Playbook which is a BlackBerry without BBM or e-mail and will probably have a joke of a development community for a long time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Get an iPad 2. The iPad is a lot better "SRS BIZNESS" tablet than the Playbook which is a BlackBerry without BBM or e-mail and will probably have a joke of a development community for a long time.

It will with that attitude mister :colbert:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yuns posted:

Mozilla/5.0 (PlayBook; U; RIM Tablet OS 1.0.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/0.0.1 Safari/534.8+

Hmm, seeing browsers but no buyers yet. I should bug head office for one so I can test if the browser can actually finalize in the shopping cart.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Godzilla07 posted:

The Playbook is actually a drat impressive piece of hardware and the QNX OS is really sweet too. We had some guys visit our office to show off the tablet in person a while back. They could hook a demo unit up via HDMI to 2 TV's playing 1080p video... which you can't do with the retail unit but it shows how powerful the little tablet really is.

Considering RIM was also sending out free playbooks for people who submitted Apps there's a good number of free apps for launch. Because of the free tablets more developers will have the tablet in hand to support. We've got a bunch of playbooks @ work for development.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

So I just switched to sprint EPRP and grabbed two blackberry styles and a incogneto for my son. We will save over 2grand in two years thanks to this.

Anyways, I came from a HD2 running cm7 and I am actually really impressed with BBOS6. My last blackberry was a bold9000, and I am in love with this phone.

Sure the browser isn't that great and flash doesn't exist, however:

The battery life is better than the HD2
The Call Quality is better the HD2
I still love the email application better than android
I think the music application is better than the stock android experiance, and better than *most* 3rd party android music players.

Overall, I would give the phone a 8/10.
Yeah, I don't know man. I don't really understand the media's hatred for BlackBerry. No they're not as shiny as iPhones and Android phones, but they're still decent pieces of hardware, and besides the browser, the OS is solid. They're leagues ahead of Symbian at least.

I do like Android, but it feels flaky and buggy. I'll probably get one eventually anyway because I like tinkering, but I'm not really in a hurry to get rid of my 9000.

I was frustrated with the low RAM problem, but it's been almost completely mitigated by getting an app to reset the phone for me.

BlackBerry gets the basics right, like calling, address books, and messaging. The basics are arguably still better than their rivals with how elegantly they work. Having the keyboard for shortcuts is something usually ignored.

While they don't have flashy apps, they have enough solid functional apps for the purposes I need, that I can't complain. Ubersocial is a fantastic Twitter app that is comparable to any platform. Trillian on BlackBerry is amazing and possibly the best iteration of it on any mobile platform, I don't know how. Google Maps is outstanding; it blew my mind when I realised I could functionally do Streetview even on my old Bold.

Even the browser is quite mitigated if you download BoltBrowser. I can surf SA and post from it at least (and have been for over a year.)

Honestly I could go on a while. (In short, I also use KeePassBB2, Evernote, Go Reader for Google Reader access, Facebook, Wordpress, RestartMe for easy resetting/RAM clearing, BlackBerry Podcasts, BlackBerry Protect, BBWeather for a homescreen widget, Google Sync, GPS Tracker to get raw data for theoretically geotagging photos)

I think the only shame insofar as apps go is that RIM bought Viigo -- a killer app for the platform -- and then apparently killed it. It's still pretty great for aggregating news, but stuff like syncing with Google Reader hasn't worked for something like a year now with no updates.

Scaramouche posted:

I'd be tempted -- eventually -- if they break the need to tether for core apps, but now that I have such a short commute I can't justify such a thing. That said, I would feel a lot more comfortable pulling out a Playbook on the bus or subway than an iPad. Those that do use iPads look so bloody awkward. I still have a ghetto old Sony ereader to get me through longer trips.

But the iPad is wonderful for the couch and bed, ha. It's almost the perfect computer for my girlfriend ... until she needs to do stuff like photo uploading and all of a sudden it's completely useless.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, I don't know man. I don't really understand the media's hatred for BlackBerry. No they're not as shiny as iPhones and Android phones, but they're still decent pieces of hardware, and besides the browser, the OS is solid. They're leagues ahead of Symbian at least.
I would say BBos6 is on par if not nicer than android or ios in some aspects, and worse in others for sure. Of course, many of these complaints would be fixed with some nicer hardware, although from what I understand the style has the same guts as the torch, just with smaller screens, and two of them.

quote:

I do like Android, but it feels flaky and buggy. I'll probably get one eventually anyway because I like tinkering, but I'm not really in a hurry to get rid of my 9000.
I got the 9000 the day it came out, and used the poo poo out of that thing, I replaced the bezel twice on it. It made me fall in love with blackberry.

quote:

BlackBerry gets the basics right, like calling, address books, and messaging. The basics are arguably still better than their rivals with how elegantly they work. Having the keyboard for shortcuts is something usually ignored.
I agree, the call quality, the contacts, the calander, the messaging, all integrated now in os6 along with the wonderful universal search is great.

Even after going away from blackberry and owning:
A G1
A hero
A palm pre
A galaxy S
A Nexus One
A G2
A HD2
A mirad of dumb phones

all in the course of two years, the blackberry keyboard is still the best I have used, bar none. Why can't other companies get it right? Funny enough, the pre keyboard was the closest.

quote:

While they don't have flashy apps, they have enough solid functional apps for the purposes I need, that I can't complain. Ubersocial is a fantastic Twitter app that is comparable to any platform. Trillian on BlackBerry is amazing and possibly the best iteration of it on any mobile platform, I don't know how. Google Maps is outstanding; it blew my mind when I realised I could functionally do Streetview even on my old Bold.

Adding to that, from what I understand people who have tons and tons of apps on thier phones tend to only use a few of them more than once, and I have a nook for that.

quote:

Honestly I could go on a while. (In short, I also use KeePassBB2, Evernote, Go Reader for Google Reader access, Facebook, Wordpress, RestartMe for easy resetting/RAM clearing, BlackBerry Podcasts, BlackBerry Protect, BBWeather for a homescreen widget, Google Sync, GPS Tracker to get raw data for theoretically geotagging photos)
Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking for Viigo the other night, now I know why it doesn't exist. :smith:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Adding to that, with the caveat of "ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT," BlackBerry has done multitasking for a long time and I think it's still implemented far better than iOS.

Another issue is that every application multitasks and exits differently which is unfortunate, but functionally still great when you're aware of it. It just doesn't do well for non-techies.

I'm mostly stuck with a 9000 because it's normal in Canada to have three year contracts. I could pick up a Nexus S now contract free (as of this month), but it's still a significant amount of money, and I feel reluctant to spend it on something where the guts are already somewhat obsolete compared to the US market.

edit: Viigo still exists! It just hasn't been updated for a long time. You've searched App World? I can definitely still see it there.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 27, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, I don't know man. I don't really understand the media's hatred for BlackBerry.

I do like Android, but it feels flaky and buggy.

I was frustrated with the low RAM problem, but it's been almost completely mitigated by getting an app to reset the phone for me.

BlackBerry gets the basics right, like calling, address books, and messaging.

Trillian on BlackBerry is amazing and possibly the best iteration of it on any mobile platform, I don't know how.

Even the browser is quite mitigated if you download BoltBrowser. I can surf SA and post from it at least (and have been for over a year.)

This post is just riddled with hilarity. Android isn't flaky and buggy. And then to immediately say your low RAM (major bug that made me hate my old Blackberry) is easily mitigated by completely restarting your phone is really funny. The basics aren't hard to get right, even a Nokia bar from 2000 gets the basics right. Trillian on BB doesn't even support push messaging does it? I believe it's all polling. And yes, if you download a third-party browser, the web experience is finally on par with Android's from a year ago!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

This post is just riddled with hilarity. Android isn't flaky and buggy. And then to immediately say your low RAM (major bug that made me hate my old Blackberry) is easily mitigated by completely restarting your phone is really funny. The basics aren't hard to get right, even a Nokia bar from 2000 gets the basics right. Trillian on BB doesn't even support push messaging does it? I believe it's all polling. And yes, if you download a third-party browser, the web experience is finally on par with Android's from a year ago!
please, blackberry wasn't built to browse the web, and don't get me started on all the posts on this forum about random rebooted and poweroffs on android phones. I had them all the time with cm7 and stock android

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I haven't looked at the browsers and which are better or not (just noticed that os6 the browser got waay better). What's Bolt browser? Is it installed by default, or do I grab it from app centre? Is it wise(r) to use on a Bold 9700?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bolt is a free, decent mobile browser. I'm using it on my 9650 as Opera Mini doesn't work with trackpads. Just go to boltbrowser.com on your phone to get it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

please, blackberry wasn't built to browse the web, and don't get me started on all the posts on this forum about random rebooted and poweroffs on android phones. I had them all the time with cm7 and stock android

"Not being built to browse the web" isn't an excuse, especially in 2011, and I've had one random reboot in over a year of owning an Android phone, and that was because of a problem that was my fault.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

"Not being built to browse the web" isn't an excuse, especially in 2011, and I've had one random reboot in over a year of owning an Android phone, and that was because of a problem that was my fault.

anecdotal evidence ahoy! Go look up the moment if you want some laughs.
And the web browser IS Getting better.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm sorry you're so offended on behalf of Google.

First, it's true that I haven't even seen Android 2.3 yet. I haven't seriously followed them or tried them recently since I decided I couldn't really afford to change to one yet. Second, until very recently, Android phones are like 6-12 months behind the US in Canada. Even then, modern phones are rare and exclusives. The Nexus S is finally available everywhere as of a couple of weeks ago, but it's not even the "best" Android phone any more (if you're measuring by hardware power anyway.)

That said, my Android-using friends and coworkers have all complained about dropped calls, freezes and restarts to the point where they regret ever buying the phones. But these are probably 1.6-2.2 builds.

As for basics, the Symbian Nokia 6790 I got was atrocious. I don't think I can actually say a single good thing about any of its basic functionality.

What don't you understand about the word "mitigated." It's a major flaw, but I found an easy way around it. It's also a three year old model and modern BlackBerries don't even have the low-RAM problem.

I don't know what Trillian does, but it's great on battery usage now (by the second build, the first one was awful) and messages appear to show up instantly when I observe. It also nicely integrates with the messages app.

Well uh yeah, thank you for agreeing with me re: browser. Because people don't download third-party apps to fix anything on Android or iOS. (As tough as Apple makes it to have anything that "replicates functionality" approved.)

Steve Moore posted:

Bolt is a free, decent mobile browser. I'm using it on my 9650 as Opera Mini doesn't work with trackpads. Just go to boltbrowser.com on your phone to get it.
I used Opera Mini for a long time, but Bolt feels infinitely faster and just renders better.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My mom owns an iPhone and her friend owns a BB. They want to text without paying the huge bill to text internationally.

I hear Kik is good, but in the iPhone app store it says RIM doesn't allow it. Is that true?

If so, what's the easiest, best and free solution to text between iPhone and BB?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been using Whatsapp, but someone above mentioned Trillian. Both of which would just use dataplans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My mom owns an iPhone and her friend owns a BB. They want to text without paying the huge bill to text internationally.

I hear Kik is good, but in the iPhone app store it says RIM doesn't allow it. Is that true?

If so, what's the easiest, best and free solution to text between iPhone and BB?

Why not just something like Google Talk?

And Blackberrys are better, but I still find them clunky. My favorite it does well though is the "just type" search they basically stole from Palm. In the end, I notice that 3G internet seems to take longer on a BBerry vs Android, and I really have no explanation on why. Great for email, improved media features, but I still feel BBErry is behind.

Very curious to try out the Playbook though.

Oh and for anyone who wants BBerry on Sprint the Style is free with contract starting Sunday.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Why not just something like Google Talk?

And Blackberrys are better, but I still find them clunky. My favorite it does well though is the "just type" search they basically stole from Palm. In the end, I notice that 3G internet seems to take longer on a BBerry vs Android, and I really have no explanation on why. Great for email, improved media features, but I still feel BBErry is behind.

Very curious to try out the Playbook though.

Oh and for anyone who wants BBerry on Sprint the Style is free with contract starting Sunday.

It's slower because it goes through the BIS, and yeah, it's annoying.

edit* I *JUST* got my styles 2 days ago, would it be a good idea to head the the sprint store to see if they would discount me the 100$ on the phones?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

anecdotal evidence ahoy! Go look up the moment if you want some laughs.
And the web browser IS Getting better.

Your example is literally the worst Android phone ever made?

Duckman2008 posted:

In the end, I notice that 3G internet seems to take longer on a BBerry vs Android, and I really have no explanation on why. Great for email, improved media features, but I still feel BBErry is behind.

RIM loves telling the carriers that Blackberry data is less pressure on networks, which I'll leave up to you to decipher

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The trade-off is that the data is compressed. I used to be surfing SA all day long at work and the max usage I ever had was 200 MB a month.

I had assumed it was slower just because of the CPU but this makes more sense, duh.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Your example is literally the worst Android phone ever made?

how about all the other problems with Samsung phones? at least my GPS works consitantly. look at the g2x, widespread freezing problems. random reboots on Motorola devices I have seen. good try though.

quote:

RIM loves telling the carriers that Blackberry data is less pressure on networks, which I'll leave up to you to decipher
its compressed through the his first.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

how about all the other problems with Samsung phones? at least my GPS works consitantly. look at the g2x, widespread freezing problems. random reboots on Motorola devices I have seen. good try though.

Samsung phones suck. No one is arguing there.

To each his own dude, but if you want to argue about phone problems, I suggest you google problems on the Blackberry Curves 8530 and 9330. Awful awful phones. Style is way better, but the Evo outperforms it every day of the week for most uses.

All smartphone platforms have their glitches, and Samsung phones at this point will just always suck, so I think arguing on any platform based on the other being glitchy is retarded. It comes down to feature set and hardware that fits what you personally want. If you love the Style, more power to ya dude, I gather it fits your needs fine. I would go nuts if I owned a Style personally. To each their own.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Samsung phones suck. No one is arguing there.

To each his own dude, but if you want to argue about phone problems, I suggest you google problems on the Blackberry Curves 8530 and 9330. Awful awful phones. Style is way better, but the Evo outperforms it every day of the week for most uses.

All smartphone platforms have their glitches, and Samsung phones at this point will just always suck, so I think arguing on any platform based on the other being glitchy is retarded. It comes down to feature set and hardware that fits what you personally want. If you love the Style, more power to ya dude, I gather it fits your needs fine. I would go nuts if I owned a Style personally. To each their own.

Thats what I said to begin with, BMG and captain charisma came in and said that android phones are perfect and NEVER glitchy.

My original post is that the browser is better on android and so are games and there are many apps, however blackberries are just fine for 90% of the people out there, and I don't understand why they have such a bad rap.

I agree with your post.

edit* I mentioned Samsung, LG, and Motorola in my post. :colbert:
Also, Samsung is a huge chunk of Android phones out there, so people are getting bad impressions of Android thanks to them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nexus S is built by Samsung. I haven't seen many complaints with that... is there something I should be aware of? If my Bold bought it overnight, that would probably be my go-to replacement.

Another thing is that the vast majority of "adults" (say roughly 35 and older) I see with iPhones don't even use apps/games. At all. Calling and sometimes email, and that's it. They'll listen to music if their kids load them up for them. But they're flashy.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??
I thought this was a Blackberry thread not a Blackberry vs Android thread, who cares, move on.

For those who aren't here to poo poo on the Blackberry I am currently using BB OS6.0.0.499 on my 9700 and its running pretty smooth. The cursor disappearing in the facebook app and other areas no longer occurs, can't confirm if the memory leak has been fixed as I haven't noticed the memmory leak on any of the earlier leaked OS's myself.

iCaPpY fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 29, 2011

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is there a way to get a cheaper plan on AT&T for your blackberry? It's just a personal phone, and I use to have this Medianet unlimited text/200mb plan for 20bux that I was using with my old HTC Wizard phone before i picked up this old Blackberry bold. In the last 3 months through AT&T changed my plan to this $45 plan for 1500 txt/2GB data.

I definitely don't need this, I already lowered the to text 1000 to save $5, but is there anyways to lower the 2GB to 200MB? I barely ever go to 100MB as is. I heard on Android, there is a way to spoof the EIN of your phone to a non smartphone. Could a Blackberry accomplish the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Femur posted:

Is there a way to get a cheaper plan on AT&T for your blackberry? It's just a personal phone, and I use to have this Medianet unlimited text/200mb plan for 20bux that I was using with my old HTC Wizard phone before i picked up this old Blackberry bold. In the last 3 months through AT&T changed my plan to this $45 plan for 1500 txt/2GB data.

I definitely don't need this, I already lowered the to text 1000 to save $5, but is there anyways to lower the 2GB to 200MB? I barely ever go to 100MB as is. I heard on Android, there is a way to spoof the EIN of your phone to a non smartphone. Could a Blackberry accomplish the same thing?

AT&T already offers a 200mb plan, are you just looking at data only plans or something? I'm not sure about those but I know I have a 200mb plan for my Torch.

• Locked thread