Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
For some retarded reason, people on reddit are liveblogging spending a ton of fifa points on opening packs. Some guy spent 12,000 fifa points and got Eto'o, IF Popov and dogshit. The other guy spent 6,800 fifa points and got Silva.

Don't buy packs, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So there's no way to change work rates? I should avoid attackers with high defensive work rates and defenders with high offensive work rates? That's pretty much it?

Edit: Saw the second post about this. Thanks for the info!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 7, 2013

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

RCarr posted:

So there's no way to change work rates? I should avoid attackers with high defensive work rates and defenders with high offensive work rates? That's pretty much it?

That's basically it. No way to change them.

It's not so much "avoid" as being careful about it. Generally you don't want to have two defenders with high/high or high/med workrates because they'll be all over the loving place. One is usually fine.

I try to avoid having a lone striker with a high/high workrate. It's usually less of a problem when you're playing with two strikers.

The "tries to beat the offside trap" trait usually trumps bad workrates, too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahaa

What a meltdown

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I guess with all the jumbo packs and super TOTWs in recent weeks the market got really flooded as I'm meeting super squad after super squad in the top 3 divisions and mine just can't keep up, I guess I should just scrap my squads and go for a bundesliga pace squad like everyone else.

edit: By the way, does anyone else feel 4-3-3 is completely superior to other formations this year? in the very least I feel that formations with two strikers up top are useless compared to ones with one striker and two wingers.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 8, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can someone tell me why a players pace is cut in half if they are on a fast break?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
To give the defenders a chance to catch up and commit numerous fouls the ref ignores, obviously.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pulling a player to the ground by their neck is a not a foul, you see.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

edit: By the way, does anyone else feel 4-3-3 is completely superior to other formations this year? in the very least I feel that formations with two strikers up top are useless compared to ones with one striker and two wingers.
I've noticed this as well. I have a brazil 433 squad and it scores more goals than my regular 41212 squad. I notice with the two strikers, they tend to drift out to the wing. Also that my LM/RM tend to drift towards the middle too much.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Once I liquidate my current squads I think I'm gonna try something like this:
http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/2206562/

I'm afraid that having inversed wingers with poor crossing skills might screw me over but at least you can fix that easily in game with the 'swap wings' tactic, it's not super pacey but two 4* skill wingers and what should be a solid defense could possibly make a solid squad. I already own Silva and he's pretty much the best defender in the game, it's a shame not to take advantage of that Dante link.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010

http://www.easports.com/uk/fifa/football-club/ultimate-team/show-off?showoffId=h90kLeoKnKrqj:pc

Bpl/bundesliga squad I'm currently playing around with. Willian is really fun to use.

darklink28
Nov 16, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

Are there any good youtube channels to watch for just straight gameplay? Tutorials and guides are alright but I feel like I need to watch someone who doesn't suck at this game play for a bit.

I'd like something similar too. I like seeing Youtube videos of games but I'd like a happy medium between cutting in a second before the shot on goal and the entire game.

I like MrVimtoJoe's Randomer series, he's got a very calm presence.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

blue footed boobie posted:

That's basically it. No way to change them.

It's not so much "avoid" as being careful about it. Generally you don't want to have two defenders with high/high or high/med workrates because they'll be all over the loving place. One is usually fine.

I try to avoid having a lone striker with a high/high workrate. It's usually less of a problem when you're playing with two strikers.

The "tries to beat the offside trap" trait usually trumps bad workrates, too.

I have found that keeping play on the ground and making an effort to start an attack from the middle of the field with Tevez and Cavani up front has really upped their goal tally. Previously just trying to abuse the cross, I could never get Tevez in to scoring chances as much as I wanted. Additionally, when you set your tactic for "Offensive" it tends to keep them both on the attacking side of the pitch. It has been more difficult to get Vidal to pay dividends as an attacker unless I just hold up play till he comes clopping along in to the offensive 3rd. FWIW, I run a 4-4-2 and tend to average 1 or 2 goals a game out of Cavani/Tevez up front.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

New patch notes:

Career Mode lag when subbing players
Fixed several FIFA Ultimate Team hangs, including:
* One instance of a crash when entering the FIFA Ultimate Team main menu
* A hang when comparing players after accepting a trade offer
Skill Games pad arrows now switched to pass receiver when he gets the ball
Virtual Pro numbers defaulting to 9 after a match
Corrected instances of kit clashing
New kits on Creation Centre showing as EA Kit 1
Fixed some audio scenarios
Co-Op Seasons squad changes will be reflected on teammate's screen
Added Bahia licensed kits and crest

Nothing about refs, lob balls or headers.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Because theres no issue with lobbed balls or headers

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Lob balls and headers are fine I just want them to fix player switching.

Edit: also I've run into a couple situations where my player will seem to be on rails and won't go the direction I'm pressing, that, too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'd like "contain" to work like it did in 12 and 13 where it's not a button that makes your player actively avoid standing his ground and intercepting dribbles. It would also be nice if players would keep marking if you switch out of them.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
I just feel that this version of Fifa is just not fun anymore. If you have a bit of lag, just a little bit your players play like poo poo due to the FIRST TOUCH system. Every pass you receive will either bounce away or just first touch the wrong way. Passes will be either too strong or too weak. Once in a while you get a good stable connection this is quite fun, but it just feels like lag is too important.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Taff posted:

Because theres no issue with lobbed balls or headers

Well, that's wrong. Headers maybe not so much but lobbed through balls are still very much dead accurate.

Also the No.9 problem still exists. Patch didn't do poo poo.

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
They stealth fixed the online virtual pro skill moves bug where it switched to a different star level each game. I didn't notice anything else but it's definitely not a complete set of patch notes so who knows what else they tinkered with.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Haha. This guy was in my drop in pro match and it sounded like he was in a toilet. He sounded like he was talking a middle eastern language but there was a very clear "gently caress YOOOOOOUUU!!!" When our keeper decided to play as an outfielder.

Pro clubs is loving hilarious.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

How do you all defend crosses in the air? The defenders in the game are AWFUL at jumping, or getting to the ball before the attacker. Any trick I am missing?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You have to anticipate which player to mark, switch manually to the closest defender and stand between the attacker and the ball, usually about half a meter ahead of the attacker to avoid getting overpowered and have the attacker get the ball through your defender. Then mash clearance, if you want to play it safe you need to clear in the direction your defender is facing, if you're feeling confident and your defender is either good at heading or is in a position to clear with his stronger foot you can try to clear upfield instead.

Defenders will make absolutely no effort to get to balls on their own unless you control them, using your fullbacks to try to close down the cross is very risky in 14.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Alternatively, it really sucks you can only have one person in the air to defend or attack at a spot and time. Next gen solves that apparently.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Another thing I recommend is to use super-cancel if your defender is jostling an attacker from behind. Instead of slowing trying to push your way in front of an attacker, you can just run right around them quickly.

e: try that in the defending crosses skill game and you'll win every header.

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

runoverbobby posted:

Another thing I recommend is to use super-cancel if your defender is jostling an attacker from behind. Instead of slowing trying to push your way in front of an attacker, you can just run right around them quickly.

e: try that in the defending crosses skill game and you'll win every header.

How do you super-cancel?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
LT + RT is suppose to cancel any action you have queued or whatever.

I have 60k and want to build a new squad, already have a Russian league squad, BPL, serie a, Portuguese.. So I'm thinking of either la liga or bundesliga. I don't like how the only real decent fullbacks in the bundesliga are super expensive. At least there are some are some RB's in the 7k range but at LB there's... Alaba and Alaba. He's so overpriced so gently caress that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

zeldadude posted:

I have 60k and want to build a new squad, already have a Russian league squad, BPL, serie a, Portuguese.. So I'm thinking of either la liga or bundesliga. I don't like how the only real decent fullbacks in the bundesliga are super expensive. At least there are some are some RB's in the 7k range but at LB there's... Alaba and Alaba. He's so overpriced so gently caress that.

It's pretty easy to work cole into a BPL / Bundesliga hybrid with Schurrle. Might be a little out of your price range though.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

zeldadude posted:

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/2238307/

?

If you're on PS3 you could repleace aubameyang with Huntelaar, Heung Son-Min or Diouf

EDIT: Whole lot of nonsense

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 9, 2013

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

zeldadude posted:

Fuchs is fantastic. He will more than likely be your go to free kick taker as well. Really underrated.

Rafihna is the cheapest RB and he's ok. Pizcheck is miles above him.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

Alternatively, it really sucks you can only have one person in the air to defend or attack at a spot and time. Next gen solves that apparently.

Here's a producer making that very claim

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/fifa_14_xbox_one_and_ps4_elite_technique_and_in-air_gameplay.html

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Bundesliga LB = Pander

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Cech is so stupidly good in this game it's basically a handicap no to use him. He's even light years ahead of Buffon.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm afraid that having inversed wingers with poor crossing skills might screw me over but at least you can fix that easily in game with the 'swap wings' tactic

I haven't noticed a significant difference between a player with a high crossing stat putting the ball in compared to a low stat. For example, last year Lukas Podolski was terrible dribbling or shooting on his 2* weak foot but crosses were still pinpoint. In 41212 one of the strikers can move wide and cross or FBs can overlap and cross, having dedicated wingers isn't necessary; I won my last (D4) game 3-1 with Diego Costa supplying 3 assists from the left flank.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

The SituAsian posted:

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/2238307/

?

If you're on PS3 you could repleace aubameyang with Huntelaar, Heung Son-Min or Diouf

EDIT: Whole lot of nonsense

Yeah I came up with a squad that's similar, I'll probably take khedira out depending on whether I actually use Elia or not. This is what I got, I definitely want to keep aubameyang up top either way.

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/1532987/

Thanks for all the advice guys!

On a side note, UT single player season is pretty fun. If you rage super hard online like me I would say give it a try to unwind!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

zeldadude posted:

Yeah I came up with a squad that's similar, I'll probably take khedira out depending on whether I actually use Elia or not. This is what I got, I definitely want to keep aubameyang up top either way.

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/1532987/

Thanks for all the advice guys!

On a side note, UT single player season is pretty fun. If you rage super hard online like me I would say give it a try to unwind!

It's like that now. Once you get to div 4 it starts to get just as frustrating. I made it to DIV 1 by cheering headers off of Traore.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ragle posted:

I haven't noticed a significant difference between a player with a high crossing stat putting the ball in compared to a low stat. For example, last year Lukas Podolski was terrible dribbling or shooting on his 2* weak foot but crosses were still pinpoint. In 41212 one of the strikers can move wide and cross or FBs can overlap and cross, having dedicated wingers isn't necessary; I won my last (D4) game 3-1 with Diego Costa supplying 3 assists from the left flank.

Well I did get to Div 1 with a 41212 and now I've been shamefully relegated to div 5 with a 4-3-3 so I really dunno what to think anymore.

In seasons I got to Div 2 with Madrid in a 433, it was real easy. gently caress this game forever.

However I do feel that crosses with the weak foot are less effective than crosses with the stronger foot, but it's just 'how i feel'.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

You're a dumb if you don't play seasons with either Madrid, Bayern or Columbia for the 4.5 star crowd

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly I don't care about people crying about 'always facing Madrid or Munchen why don't you play Swansea or Norwich', Madrid are super fun to play and Ronald is a loving stud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Are those chemistry styles worht it? I just slapped sniper on my strikers, it doesn't actually improve the stat number on the card. But it should make their shooting and header better :confused:

And also, since I backed out of every game where I'm not the host, the lag has gone and I don't have to play with those ugly black balls anymore. Those are so hard to see, I don't understand why you'd ever pick that. And what was the name of that always sunny stadium again? King something something

• Locked thread