Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dammit I really want some of that weird red/yellow rice wine now

I have been unsuccessful at finding that poo poo so far over here
Unlabelled clear bottles in the refrigerator of Chinese stores. Also, they sell yeast balls everywhere for a reason, you just need to let those sit in some watery glutinous rice for a week, then strain:
http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Rice-Wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Drone_Fragger posted:

we'd built a 2275 bar pressure vessel

What the gently caress were you building

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Groda posted:

Sounds like fun time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Groda posted:

Groda posted:

Authentic 1880s steamboat, with authentic 1880s metallurgy and authentic 1880s boiler explosion.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

Unlabelled clear bottles in the refrigerator of Chinese stores. Also, they sell yeast balls everywhere for a reason, you just need to let those sit in some watery glutinous rice for a week, then strain:
http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Rice-Wine

just bought some of the yeast balls online, hell yeah

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blistex posted:

Re-visiting Chinese interests in the South China Sea...

"We have a legitimate history of occupying these waters that dates back hundreds of years!"

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/asia/china-south-china-sea-reclamation/

What a wonderful world we live in when the most effective means of territorial aggression is constructing landfill islands, and the most effective response is to wait for the next big typhoon. :allears:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If the number of Chinese users I have that change there names to Jeff, David, or Mark is any indication, we already won the culture war

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Klyith posted:

What a wonderful world we live in when the most effective means of territorial aggression is constructing landfill islands, and the most effective response is to wait for the next big typhoon. :allears:

It's like Anno 2070 in real life!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Strudel Man posted:

No one can resist the allure of low, low prices for a product that looks equivalent at first glance.

Isn't that the truth.

Two companies back we had a Chinese supplier for a gas distribution hub thing. This was aerospace so we had some pretty tight tolerances and requirements. One day I got a call from our assembly shop telling me that the hub they pulled for the engine in process had some burn marks on the edges of the holes in the piece. Then they pulled the next one and the next one, same thing. I brought the pictures they sent me to my supervisor to ask what he wanted to do. He ended up having to call the company's manufacturing agent in China about this. Apparently this wasn't anything new, every couple months the Chinese factory we used would go from pressing the holes to using a laser to cut the holes. Every one of those had to be rejected due to structural requirements on the holes. I was put on the task of getting them back on track (via teleconfrences) and then the next thing we knew the shop closed down and our tooling wasn't returned to us. A couple weeks later I got a call at work from another company that happened to be making the hubs and wondered if we wanted to buy some.

Those were custom designs so if they had it they probably got it from our previous supplier or were owned by the same concern.

ElGroucho posted:

If the number of Chinese users I have that change there names to Jeff, David, or Mark is any indication, we already won the culture war

That's apparently a think according to Poorly Made in China as a way to make the American customers feel a bit more at home and to make it easier to pronounce their name. One of the guys in the book called himself Kevin and said he was from LA. When pressed he admitted he had been there a few times, but loved it so drat much he felt he was from there.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lazyfire posted:

Those were custom designs so if they had it they probably got it from our previous supplier or were owned by the same concern.

Same exact company, owners, factory, employees, and equipment. "Go out of business and re-open not long after with no changes except a new name and try to get all the old clients back" is a sound Chinese business strategy. Sometimes they relocate, sometimes not.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Happy New Year!

$75 in USD depicted.

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013

Hobohemian posted:

You really don't get the nouveau riche do you?

Not really, i'm not completely clear to why there's a whole society aspiring to be jabba the hut

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bling bling bilal posted:

Not really, i'm not completely clear to why there's a whole society aspiring to be jabba the hut

Everyone wants their very own personal Leia. The movie is really just a cautionary tale about chain management.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

5er posted:

$75 in USD depicted.

Well knowing Chinese propensity to cut corners its probably just $10 in that the top bill is the only real bill in the stack. It's all about the show.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

新年快乐

time to 干杯 every loving two seconds with old people who stopped caring a long time ago

hows your new year

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013
It's like donetsk here, been setting off some serious explosives as per tradition. I feel sorry for pets in china during this time of the year hey

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lazyfire posted:

That's apparently a think according to Poorly Made in China as a way to make the American customers feel a bit more at home and to make it easier to pronounce their name. One of the guys in the book called himself Kevin and said he was from LA. When pressed he admitted he had been there a few times, but loved it so drat much he felt he was from there.

I don't think it's entirely deceptive, just about every asian person I've known has a 'white person' name that they or their peers in school choose, and it's not just the snake oil salesmen from the mainland. This includes second and third generation north americans and not just immigrants. Some make sense phonetically like Xian -> Sean and others are just odd like Wen Ching -> Joanne. One guy I've known for decades just decided to call himself Patrick when he was 13; it had no relation to his chinese name. "I just like the sound of it" he said.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello, my name is Optimus Prime. When I leave the classroom I yell "AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT!"

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Saw a guy working at a petrol station in Australia who had dubbed himself "Cornelius Wang"

Zipline
May 9, 2013
So wait, why isn't Something Awful blocked in China? These images are not kind to the Celestial Kingdom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zipline posted:

So wait, why isn't Something Awful blocked in China? These images are not kind to the Celestial Kingdom.

People in China know what China looks like. They should probably ban pictures of Canada or something though. Only allow pics of other filthy smog-filled shitholes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Zipline posted:

The only feelings we hurt are our own.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bro Dad posted:

heres a 44 dollar pbr:

I already knew about this but it's still the funniest goddamn poo poo.

Then again considering how pisswater flavorless Chinese beers are this might be almost understandable.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zipline posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

What kind of drugs do chinese people do?

weed? heroin? coke? meth?

crazy other drugs that i might like to try?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ketamine and meth

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Opium

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Lazyfire posted:

Isn't that the truth.

Two companies back we had a Chinese supplier for a gas distribution hub thing. This was aerospace so we had some pretty tight tolerances and requirements. One day I got a call from our assembly shop telling me that the hub they pulled for the engine in process had some burn marks on the edges of the holes in the piece. Then they pulled the next one and the next one, same thing. I brought the pictures they sent me to my supervisor to ask what he wanted to do. He ended up having to call the company's manufacturing agent in China about this. Apparently this wasn't anything new, every couple months the Chinese factory we used would go from pressing the holes to using a laser to cut the holes. Every one of those had to be rejected due to structural requirements on the holes. I was put on the task of getting them back on track (via teleconfrences) and then the next thing we knew the shop closed down and our tooling wasn't returned to us. A couple weeks later I got a call at work from another company that happened to be making the hubs and wondered if we wanted to buy some.

Did your company do business with them again?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Hong Kong
Established by the Hong Kong Narcotics Division of the Security Bureau, the Central Registry of Drug Abuse (CRDA) maintains a database of all the illicit drug users who have come into contact with law enforcement, treatment, health care, and social organizations. The compiled data are confidential under the The Dangerous Drugs Ordinance of Hong Kong, and statistics are made freely available online on a quarterly basis. Statistics from the CRDA show that the number of ketamine users (all ages) in Hong Kong has increased from 1605 (9.8% of total drug users) in 2000 to 5212 (37.6%) in 2009. Increasing trends of ketamine use among illicit drug users under the age of 21 were also reported, rising from 36.9% of young drug users in 2000 to 84.3% in 2009.

Taiwan
A survey conducted among school-attending Taiwanese adolescents reported prevalence rates of 0.15% in 2004, 0.18% in 2005, and 0.15% in 2006 in middle-school (grades 7 and 9) students; in Taiwanese high-school (grades 10 and 12) students, prevalence was 1.13% in 2004, 0.66% in 2005, and 0.44% in 2006. From the same survey, a large portion (42.8%) of those who reported ecstasy use also reported ketamine use. Ketamine was the second most used illicit drug (behind ecstasy) in absconding Taiwanese adolescents as reported by a multi-city street outreach survey. In a study comparing the reporting rates between web questionnaires and paper-and-pencil questionnaires, ketamine use was reported a higher rate in the web version. Urine sampling at a club in Taipei, Taiwan showed high rates of ketamine use at 47.0%; this prevalence was compared with that of detainees suspected of drug abuse in the general public, of which 2.0% of the samples tested positive for ketamine use.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BONGHITZ posted:

the air around them

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

BONGHITZ posted:

weed? heroin? coke? meth?

crazy other drugs that i might like to try?

Shitloads of Special K: http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-great-k-hole-of-china

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JaucheCharly posted:

Did your company do business with them again?

I believe they sourced the part in China again because it was on the cost reduction list for the engine. To be honest my job was the kind where I only got involved if something really hosed happened so it must have been smoofh sailing with the new supplier.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I love this thread, reading it is hilarious and I will never stop laughing at Chinese drivers and fake islands.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zipline posted:

I had GLadder on by default because I'd get annoyed by GIS only showing the first few results, or not being able to access wikipedia. I forgot why, but I turned it off and SA was still accessible.

Here is a handy website that will tell you if a site is blocked in China. http://www.blockedinchina.net

bling bling bilal
Sep 30, 2013

Zipline posted:

About 2/3 photos and links on SA is blocked, the almighty firewall doesn't seem discriminate based on content as much as the fidelity of the image hosting website.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

happy new year!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I already knew about this but it's still the funniest goddamn poo poo.

Then again considering how pisswater flavorless Chinese beers are this might be almost understandable.

Chinese people value clarity and lightness in beer. They also drink it at room temperature.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I thought Snow brand beer in China was pretty good, and I can't find it in the US. It was served cold though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
beer is fine as long as it's cold and isn't in one of those goddamned green glass bottles that's been exposed to the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Code Jockey posted:

the air around them

Breathing the air is probably a lot like doing whippets, same amount of oxygen

• Locked thread