Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FuriousGeorge posted:

In other news, I'm starting a Kickstarter to fund... Darklands 2
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

My favorite thing about this is Tim didn't even have to make a pitch. He didn't have to go into a room full of CEOs and justify making a video game, or whip out any documents to show how a point and click adventure could generate ad revenue.

He literally just went on the internet and said "Hey internet, I'm Tim Schafer and I want to make another point and click game" and the internet gave him half a million dollars to do it.

I'm now imagining a click and point with ad revenue systems in place...

Do you pick PEPSI MAX?

Player Selects "No"

You lose the game. PEPSI MAX is your God.

Betting it's made over $600 k about...now.

Edit- Twas 3 minutes off. Curses! :)

Temascos fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 9, 2012

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

:getin:

I gots 15 bucks right here with "Darklands 2: Obsidianized" on them.... Make me spend them!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Crappy Jack posted:

My favorite thing about this is Tim didn't even have to make a pitch. He didn't have to go into a room full of CEOs and justify making a video game, or whip out any documents to show how a point and click adventure could generate ad revenue.

He literally just went on the internet and said "Hey internet, I'm Tim Schafer and I want to make another point and click game" and the internet gave him half a million dollars to do it.

More importantly, he won't have to justify the end product to those CEO's either. Nobody will be able to make 'content suggestions' or demand that it be more 'market friendly', and nobody will be able to force it out the door early to meet the holiday season. It's just one big pre-sale with badass promotional items, and any money donated above and beyond can go into marketing, Q&A, additional content, or just giving a bunch of programmers who seem to get repeatedly screwed by their publishers a nice big bonus for continuing to do awesome work.

I'm down with that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Double Fine Insider Secrets! :ssh:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Eagerly awaiting Al Lowe kickstarter project. Donate $1000 to get an autographed leisure suit and go to a stripclub with Al :)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

No one is late to the party until the funding closes. There is so much time to throw in your fifteen or more bucks.

What I meant was, my $15 doesn't go towards the making of this game. It goes towards...extras I guess? But that doesn't really matter. I still gave my $15, because something this great should be supported. It's an awesome idea, and if not only meeting the budget, but going well over the budget, will encourage more like it, then I'll gladly pay for that.

edit: Also, I love Tim Schafer.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 9, 2012

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

thrawn527 posted:

What I meant was, my $15 doesn't go towards the making of this game. It goes towards...extras I guess? But that doesn't really matter. I still gave my $15, because something this great should be supported. It's an awesome idea, and if not only meeting the budget, but going well over the budget, will encourage more like it, then I'll gladly pay for that.

"Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Das Butterbrot posted:

Eagerly awaiting Al Lowe kickstarter project. Donate $1000 to get an autographed leisure suit and go to a stripclub with Al :)

I'd donate for a real LSL game instead of the last two piles of trash we got.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

thrawn527 posted:

He's already said additional money will go toward the making of this game. Who knows, your $15 could pay for celebrity voice acting or a symphonic soundtrack by an acclaimed film composer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shadley Puffin posted:

"Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game."

I hope "additional release platforms" means Mac OS or XBox 360, because otherwise I won't even be able to play the game I just donated money towards. (Still worth it for the documentary)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I watched the video, refreshed the page and the donations went up $8,000. :psyduck:

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

thrawn527 posted:

I hope "additional release platforms" means Mac OS or XBox 360, because otherwise I won't even be able to play the game I just donated money towards. (Still worth it for the documentary)

Well, if there's a PC release of a point-and-click, it's likely only a a hop skip and a jump to a Mac release. And an iOS dev could probably say how easy porting is to that platform, but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult, mostly implementing touch, that sort of thing.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Probably Mac first, getting a game onto the Xbox takes a long time for certification. It's a really closed platform

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shadley Puffin posted:

Well, if there's a PC release of a point-and-click, it's likely only a a hop skip and a jump to a Mac release. And an iOS dev could probably say how easy porting is to that platform, but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult, mostly implementing touch, that sort of thing.

That's a good point, iOS would be great too. So...yay my $15 went for something that might actually help me play the game!

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Someone needs to get a Kickstarter together for Dark Seed 3. Mike Dawson could probably use the money.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You guys should try reading the page a bit more:

quote:

Q: Will there be a Mac, or iOS version?

A: We would love to do both of those things! They are at the top of the list for things to do if we raise more funds than we are asking for.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You guys should try reading the page a bit more:

I guess I should. Thank you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Man, I'm a poor motherfucker and I still want to donate towards this. I'm literally so poor I haven't been able to afford Trenched or Stacking.

*Checks bank*

-$61

I feel like starting a kickstarter project. It'll be called "Please Give Me Money Because I'm Hungry"

Joking aside, all this kickstarter business has me curious. I've been working on and off on a record, my first project as a producer and it's coming along quite well. Has anyone here actually used Kickstarter before? I'd really like to fund the record and, you know, get it mastered, printed, buy gear I've been unable to afford. That sort of thing. I'm apprehensive about using it though because it seems like it's geared towards projects that already have a following or a reputation (such as, you know, Double Fine's impeccable reputation). Is it possible to use it to fund projects even if you're a unknown commodity like myself?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Crappy Jack posted:

He's already said additional money will go toward the making of this game. Who knows, your $15 could pay for celebrity voice acting or a symphonic soundtrack by an acclaimed film composer.

The soundtrack had better be by Peter McConnell or it ain't a Tim Schafer game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tsurupettan posted:

I watched the video, refreshed the page and the donations went up $8,000. :psyduck:

Those aren't even donations anymore. The goal was met. Whoever's putting money in now is buying a pre-order and, maybe, getting a few LE extras along.

A new game is born.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Saoshyant posted:

Those aren't even donations anymore. The goal was met. Whoever's putting money in now is buying a pre-order and, maybe, getting a few LE extras along.

A new game is born.

I don't think you understand how kickstarter works. The goal is the minimum they need before they'll be allowed to take the money. The money doesn't stop being useful after they hit the goal.

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

cat doter posted:

Is it possible to use it to fund projects even if you're a unknown commodity like myself?

Definitely. You won't get the huge overnight explosion of generosity above and beyond your wildest dreams, but plenty of absolute-nobodies use Kickstarter successfully. It really comes to your pitch and what you're offering in return for donations, from what I've seen. Some really interesting things get ignored, though, and sometimes people hurl their money at the dumbest poo poo. It's kind of a crapshoot but it's worth a shot.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cat doter posted:

Man, I'm a poor motherfucker and I still want to donate towards this. I'm literally so poor I haven't been able to afford Trenched or Stacking.

*Checks bank*

-$61

I feel like starting a kickstarter project. It'll be called "Please Give Me Money Because I'm Hungry"

Joking aside, all this kickstarter business has me curious. I've been working on and off on a record, my first project as a producer and it's coming along quite well. Has anyone here actually used Kickstarter before? I'd really like to fund the record and, you know, get it mastered, printed, buy gear I've been unable to afford. That sort of thing. I'm apprehensive about using it though because it seems like it's geared towards projects that already have a following or a reputation (such as, you know, Double Fine's impeccable reputation). Is it possible to use it to fund projects even if you're a unknown commodity like myself?
The existence of the Arkh Project suggests that, yes, it is.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

maxnmona posted:

I don't think you understand how kickstarter works. The goal is the minimum they need before they'll be allowed to take the money. The money doesn't stop being useful after they hit the goal.

I think he's saying the people who are donating now know that the project is already funded, but they want to get in on the action and get their preorder/beta access.

Threw in my $15, Tim Schafer is awesome and I love me some adventure games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

maxnmona posted:

I don't think you understand how kickstarter works.

And I don't think you understood my point. The goal was met. It's a product now and most people will see it as that considering there's no danger it won't be made now. This should silence some of the dumb criticism of this initiative.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Really glad they hit the donation level already. Double Fine is at their best with storytelling, characters, and jokes so this is a logical to return to a neglected genre.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't know what these darkland and darkseed games are you guys are talking about, but i'd chipin on a kickstart for a new darkcloud game :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I may of missed it, but curiosity takes me, when he does make the new point n' click game, would you want it with sprites or polygons?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shadley Puffin posted:

And an iOS dev could probably say how easy porting is to that platform,

Depends on a lot of things, really. For one you don't program games in Objective-C on the PC so you might have to port your entire engine over to the iOS which would take quite a lot of effort.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Pangalin posted:

Definitely. You won't get the huge overnight explosion of generosity above and beyond your wildest dreams, but plenty of absolute-nobodies use Kickstarter successfully. It really comes to your pitch and what you're offering in return for donations, from what I've seen. Some really interesting things get ignored, though, and sometimes people hurl their money at the dumbest poo poo. It's kind of a crapshoot but it's worth a shot.

I've no idea how much to ask for, realistically thinking about where the money goes on a record and maybe even throwing in some fancy extra crap like signed vinyl or T-shirts means that if I lowball it, it'll just bite me on the rear end in the long run.

quakster posted:

The existence of the Arkh Project suggests that, yes, it is.

I went to some website about this thing and I don't even know what the gently caress.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Since when does Steam permit this sort of thing?

The Super Monday Night Combat beta was done through Steam. You even used Steam to sign up for the beta in the first place.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Hopefully this turns into a success, that way we can have more of these kickstarters and start getting more developers who are smaller or not backed by a big restrictive publisher.

drat, somebody get Brian Moriarty on the line and have him kickstart the continuation of the Loom trilogy. Or hit up these guys: http://forge.freeiz.com/ who are working on a promising fan-made sequel of their own.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

thrawn527 posted:

Your $15 also buys you the game, which is probably at least on par if not better than what you would buy it for, so even if it's sitting at 20 million it'll be worth clicking.

brm
Mar 8, 2010
This is really cool even though I'm not a big fan of the genre. The idea that a developer can fund an entire niche project from small investors will have a positive impact on the quality of games...

now time to send Brain Rynolds a strongly worded letter suggesting he make AC2

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Tossed in my 30 bucks. I suppose one of these days I should play Psychonauts (I suck at platforming) and finish Grim Fandango.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Der Shovel posted:

Depends on a lot of things, really. For one you don't program games in Objective-C on the PC so you might have to port your entire engine over to the iOS which would take quite a lot of effort.

Ah. So is bridging a different language over one of those things that's just Not Done, particularly? Is it easier to stay 100% Obj-C for performance and stability reasons, so you only have to rely on Apple keeping the APIs up to date? I'm not a programmer, but I imagine there's gotta be some tradeoff involved.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Der Shovel posted:

Or you'd just write your iOS version in straight C/C++ for 99% of it. OpenGL is pretty much always straight C.

Shadley Puffin posted:

Ah. So is bridging a different language over one of those things that's just Not Done, particularly? Is it easier to stay 100% Obj-C for performance and stability reasons, so you only have to rely on Apple keeping the APIs up to date? I'm not a programmer, but I imagine there's gotta be some tradeoff involved.

C, C++, and Obj-C are all native on iOS. Objective-C is a superset of C, you can always drop down to C.

It is normal for an Objective-C project to have C/C++ code in it, particularly OpenGL apps and games, either as part of the engine, or from a library, such as the popular physics engine Box2D which is C++. OpenGL ES is entirely C based, meaning your OpenGL code is entirely C, but integrates with iOS Obj-C frameworks like Cocoa Touch.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shadley Puffin posted:

Ah. So is bridging a different language over one of those things that's just Not Done, particularly?

No it can be done, but depending on the original language it will require quite a bit of adaptation or a total engine rewrite. This is one of the reasons Unreal Engine is so popular: building for a different platform requires very little effort since the engine exists natively on pretty much every platform ever.

quote:

Is it easier to stay 100% Obj-C for performance and stability reasons, so you only have to rely on Apple keeping the APIs up to date?

Mobile platforms generally have one accepted Official Language (Obj-C for iOS, Java for Android and C# for Windows Phone 7), everything else requires a bit / a ton of work.

The good news is that if their engine is in C++, porting it over to iOS platforms isn't that big a hassle. I haven't done native C++ on iOS but apparently the integration is pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Shadley Puffin posted:

I have no experience with iOS, but I doubt a port would need more than an Objective-C wrapper around the desired parts of the Cocoa API, which the game engine is designed to interact with. The complexity would vary depending on how graphically intensive the game is (probably not very), and if they'd want to support platform specific features like multi-touch gestures. The bulk of the engine would compile for and run fine on iOS or Mac, assuming a sane choice of language.

• Locked thread