Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Geop posted:

:psyduck: I had no idea you could parry the Metal Gear. He's never used two or so of those melee attacks on me, to boot (tail whip and the first one that Chip parried).

Also, those Konami guys in the Behind Rising documentary all sounded so sad :smith: I guess having to scrap a couple years'-worth of work and passing it to another studio isn't something you tend to be proud of.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. They just couldn't handle making the game on their own- understandable, since it's pretty different from a typical MG game. It's like they developed that sweet "cut anything" mechanic and then couldn't really figure out how to make a game around it. Oh well- game certainly wouldn't have been as good without Platinum, and now we have a chance at a second game developed by Platinum with an actual budget and development cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Did I tell you that I really appreciate the art of the parry video? Teaching me how to win at the game.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Chip Cheezum posted:

Edit: The MGS3 LP was four years ago??? Good lord.

My God, I was just rewatching those videos myself. :psyduck:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I've been eagerly waiting for this LP. I bought this game even though I don't own a PS3 and was playing it at a friend's house. She and I were constantly amazed at how over the top this game can get while still staying completely awesome. I even got pretty far into the game, but at one point I hit a challenge I wasn't good enough to beat, and I didn't have regular enough access to the game to get good at it, so I had to put it down.

Now not only is there an LP, but it's coming out on PC as well. gently caress. I'll be following this thread closely.

Herr Tog posted:

Did I tell you that I really appreciate the art of the parry video? Teaching me how to win at the game.

Keep the phrase "gently caress it-- Parry it!" forever in your heart. :kamina:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can't parry the plasma cannon, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You cannot, but as Chip says, you can invincibility frame through it with the right timing, though it's not easy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I really want to say "of course not", but I realize now that there's absolutely no drat way to actually tell unless you go out and try it a couple of times. After all, it'd make as much sense as anything else in this game!

But you probably can't.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

When Platinum released the game, they put out two different soundtracks, one with a preorder and one on its own. One just has the instrumentals, the other has the voices. Viciousreiven decided to mix the two together to get the full experience. Here's Rules of Nature, the song from the fight against UG Ray:

Thank you very much for posting this!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Siivola posted:

I really want to say "of course not", but I realize now that there's absolutely no drat way to actually tell unless you go out and try it a couple of times. After all, it'd make as much sense as anything else in this game!

But you probably can't.
I was fairly certain you couldn't, if only because Chip doesn't, but I wasn't sure give how you can apparently parry every single other attack the Ray has.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

I was fairly certain you couldn't, if only because Chip doesn't, but I wasn't sure give how you can apparently parry every single other attack the Ray has.

I'm 99 percent sure you can't parry the laser - you can't parry bullets (leaving aside Ninja Run's immunity) rockets or many kinds of projectiles. I doubt the big fuckoff plasma cannon would be one of the few exceptions.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I didn't know this would come out on PC. Any word on if it'll be paired with any obnoxious online thing like Origin or similar?

Nothing confirmed, but one of Platinum's producers was seen visiting Valve's HQ last September, so there's some hope.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
No, you can't parry the plasma cutter. But you can actually parry most missiles.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Nothing confirmed, but one of Platinum's producers was seen visiting Valve's HQ last September, so there's some hope.

It has been confirmed in the past couple of days on Hideo Kojima's podcast and this guy's twitter.

E: ↓ - Ah right, I missed that.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 19, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Aurain posted:

It has been confirmed in the past couple of days on Hideo Kojima's podcast and this guy's twitter.

Yeah I know the PC release is confirmed, I was responding to the "Any word on if it'll be paired with any obnoxious online thing like Origin or similar?" question.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Considering Dark Souls II is abandoning it, I think even Japanese developers have gotten the hint that GFWL sucks. (also it's not an EA game so it won't be Origin either.)

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

cobalt impurity posted:

Keep the phrase "gently caress it-- Parry it!" forever in your heart. :kamina:

Unfortunately, that advise is a tad bit dubious for reasons we should see later. But yeah, almost every attack is parryable because swords in the future are really, really good.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I only have a single comment, and it's that this LP is a a thousands times better purely because of how enthusiastic you are, Chip. It's like a kid showing off his new action figure to his best friend (Ironicus), and being so dang happy, and it adds a lot in my opinion.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

When Platinum released the game, they put out two different soundtracks, one with a preorder and one on its own. One just has the instrumentals, the other has the voices. Viciousreiven decided to mix the two together to get the full experience. Here's Rules of Nature, the song from the fight against UG Ray:

Actually it was in-game mixed with the OST because the OST didn't have the full length versions, even the instrumentals where short.

and hey Chip, feel free to use those tracks in the OP if you want to.
I still haven't gotten around to doing Sundowner's theme... time to rectify that.

Reive fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 19, 2013

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.
You should post music that has played along with the updates. The music is SUPER RAD and it would be nice if they were included.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, this game was a surprise to me. After hearing Platinum I thought it would be good, but it was even better. It's just packed full of neat little touches as well. I'm a big fan of what they did with the music too. And something I never thought I'd say about an MGS game, the cutscenes are generally brilliant. Also Boris rules.

The fighting is really fun and intuitive as well. Cutting up everything is a nice bonus too. I could gush about how much I like this game all day. :allears:

My dog doesn't like the title screen though. That thunder makes him bark like mad.

I love how they just straight up throw a Metal Gear at you five minutes in, and then Raiden just does that to it. Really sets the tone.
fake edit:Oh wow, you had perfect timing parrying that blade just as the "rules of nature" bit kicked in.

Looking forward to seeing you show off all the amazing stuff you can get up to in this. And I'm fully expecting you to show me a bunch of things I missed. You've already started, what with that big leap attack of Sam's.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 19, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

McDragon posted:

fake edit:Oh wow, you had perfect timing parrying that blade just as the "rules of nature" bit kicked in.

That's actually scripted - the music automatically introduces lyrics and jumps to that point in the song when you start the finisher. It does that sort of thing a lot and it's really awesome.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's actually scripted - the music automatically introduces lyrics and jumps to that point in the song when you start the finisher. It does that sort of thing a lot and it's really awesome.

I am a sucker for variable mixes like that, and soundtracks that sync up to what the player is actually doing. At the risk of sounding trite, it really does kick up the cinematic feel for the gameplay itself, rather than saving all the sweet choreography for the cutscenes only.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
This LP looks crazy good, as usual per Chip/Ironicus productions. Wanted to get MGR on PS3 but I'll wait for the PC version. The soundtrack combines all the worst music trends in the last 15 years and it sucks balls as a result but I guess it fits the over-the-top nature of the game.

Got the question about the first video: Ironicus, I don't get why that big scissor sword boss guy looks like he's Polish? Is it because of his drunkard face? :poland:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh wow, I'm learning things about this game already.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Guess I'll need to pay a bit closer attention for news about it from now on, then. I really want to try this game but don't know if I could stomach fiddling about with GFWL and such.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010
*about to watch video*

Oh Jesus Christ, they're going to try and make Whiny Emo McCyborg look awesome again.

*watches video*

You win, Konami. Raiden just became loving awesome. As far as I'm concerned, once you've tossed a fifty-foot mech into the sky and sliced it in half with a sword that's nowhere near long enough to do so, you've earned the right to whine and cry as much as you want.

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

As soon as I saw Scissor-Man I immediately mindjumped to "Texan." All he's missing is a ten-gallon hat and he looks like a Greater Houston Area used car dealer / mattress salesman. Also, he is literally :clint:

I'm stoked to see where this goes and to snap it up on PC when it comes out.

High-Water Marx fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 23, 2013

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Good lord is this game absurd. Hard to believe they managed to make a game staring Raiden awesome, those days when he got peed on by a guard are long gone.

Gerpy
Feb 23, 2010
If anyone bought DmC they should trade it in to buy this game, I did and I never looked back.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
If anyone's worried that Raiden's going to be a whiny character like in MGS4, don't worry about it. He's passed that stage and now he's moved on to being a nerd who really wants to be as cool as Batman.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I played the demo and wasn't really impressed with the controls. Slicing stuff was clunky and it didn't really feel like a metal gear game. Does it get easier/better or would I likely be better off just watching this LP?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
For the slicing controls, make sure you are just letting go of the stick to do cuts instead of swiping it all the way across. I know some people have been doing that and it makes cutting really difficult. You could also try going into the option and trying out (I think) control setting D. It flips the sticks for cutting so that the right stick is the camera and the left stick in the angle of the cut. That allows you set up the angle of the cut with the left stick, and then you can just hit light attack to perform the cut. No matter what the game has a bit of a learning curve to it, though. The majority of Platinum's games are like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

the littlest prince posted:

I played the demo and wasn't really impressed with the controls. Slicing stuff was clunky and it didn't really feel like a metal gear game. Does it get easier/better or would I likely be better off just watching this LP?

The controls are really smooth actually once you realize you can just flick the stick to cut down that line.

And this game is NOT Metal Gear Solid. It never tries to be, it doesn't want to be. This is Metal Gear Rising my friend, and what it does it does really drat well.

Don't worry though. This game is still like 105% Metal Gear when it comes to setting/writing. Soon enough we'll be talking about philosophy on the battle field with Bosses.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sadly, after this level, [fakespoiler] we switch to playing as Solid Snake on the dogracing circuit for the rest of the game, as a backwards tribute to MGS2.[/fakespoiler] Disappointing, to say the least.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

the littlest prince posted:

I don't know about everyone else, but I ended up using square and triangle instead of the stick. It says that square does horizontal slices, but it'll slice in any direction you have the arc at. You can just aim with the stick and slice with square if stick controls are too cumbersome.

Either way, blade mode isn't really the creamy center of the game. It's the seamless attack-parry-counter-slice-dodge-attack without missing a beat that makes the game really shine. I say get it, it's a fun action game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, this game is incredible. Thank you so much for LPing it, since this type of game is just one I am completely inept at. Seriously, I probably never would've experienced the joy of seeing a robot-man slice a RAY in half without this thread.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

johnboy3434 posted:

Whiny Emo McCyborg look awesome again.

Ahem. Cryborg.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Speaking as someone who got this game because of Platinum and knew next to nothing about the rest of the series (I'm halfway through the MGS1 LP now), it's kind of hilarious seeing how violently my image of Raiden seems to clash with everyone else's. :v:

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm 99 percent sure you can't parry the laser - you can't parry bullets (leaving aside Ninja Run's immunity) rockets or many kinds of projectiles. I doubt the big fuckoff plasma cannon would be one of the few exceptions.

:eng101: Actually, you can parry bullets, it's just kinda useless. I think Chip parried a bullet by mistake in Ray 2, a little bit after the 21 minute mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Here we go. I'm greatly looking forward to you making me look like a total chump at this game in comparison. I think I got all of 2 S ranks during my first trip through.

• Locked thread