Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does anyone else think there's a strong possibility that we will see Richard Dragon maybe this season? Possibly in the flashback? I mean in the comics at least I am pretty sure he's one of the top martial artists in the Dc Universe in fact I think he trained Batman and some others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
I maintain a strict no applauding or cheering things that happen during scripted TV or movies policy.

Arrow is the lone exception

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hollis posted:

Does anyone else think there's a strong possibility that we will see Richard Dragon maybe this season? Possibly in the flashback? I mean in the comics at least I am pretty sure he's one of the top martial artists in the Dc Universe in fact I think he trained Batman and some others.

A revamped version of him just started showing up in their non-tie in Green Arrow comic, which is where they just brought in Diggle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Now that they've introduced Black Canary and others I'm hoping we'll see more of the DC Martial Artists peeps. Also it'd be kick rear end if Starman showed up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder of the quick mention on the news of a particle accelerator being built by STAR Labs is supposed to be foreshadowing something... maybe how this version of The Flash gets his powers?

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

hcreight posted:

I wonder of the quick mention on the news of a particle accelerator being built by STAR Labs is supposed to be foreshadowing something... maybe how this version of The Flash gets his powers?

I'd bet money on it. I was thinking the exact same thing. Central City? Particle Accelerator? Both of those together just screams "Flash". It's a nice way to tweak/update his origin too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just caught the episode and holy poo poo, what a comeback. I loving love this show.

I really should have seen the ending coming, though. :v:

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
How aggressive do people think they're going to be with introducing new heroes?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Absolutely fantastic start to the new season. So good.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My first thought when the blonde-wigged fighter showed up was that it was supposed to be Summer Glau's character. But if that's Laurel, that probably makes a lot more sense and explains some of her attitude and actions in the episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The showrunners or producers or whatever have said we'd be getting some heros, but their all really grounded Green Arrow stuff. They're drawing semi heavily from the very good Green Arrow run from the 80s by Mike Grell.

The League of Assassins will probably come into play at some point, I don't know who that white haired asian girl is she's not Lady Shiva I don't think.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollis posted:

The showrunners or producers or whatever have said we'd be getting some heros, but their all really grounded Green Arrow stuff. They're drawing semi heavily from the very good Green Arrow run from the 80s by Mike Grell.

The League of Assassins will probably come into play at some point, I don't know who that white haired asian girl is she's not Lady Shiva I don't think.

Eh, Flash isn't really grounded Green Arrow stuff.

Kelly Hu plays China White.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My first thought when the blonde-wigged fighter showed up was that it was supposed to be Summer Glau's character. But if that's Laurel, that probably makes a lot more sense and explains some of her attitude and actions in the episode.

It's not Laurel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think that is Laurel, actually. Someone posted in the thread earlier, it sounds like the Black Canary is a separate actress - and, thus, probably a separate character. Here's the quote:

quote:

How will the introduction of Black Canary (Caity Lotz) push Laurel in a new direction?
Guggenheim: You'll get your first glimpse of Black Canary in the premiere. Laurel needed a bit of a makeover. Last year, as a result of her job at CNRI and her relationship with Tommy, it sometimes felt like she was in a different show. One of our main goals this year was to really bring her into the fold in a way that made her an integral part of the stories we were telling. Black Canary's appearance is going to coincide with Laurel really struggling with a great number of things. We're throwing a lot of things at Laurel this year.

After seeing the episode, I don't think most of this is a spoiler anymore, but I left the tag on just in case.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadpool posted:

Eh, Flash isn't really grounded Green Arrow stuff.

Kelly Hu plays China White.

Yeah but supposedly he shows up as Barry Allen first then he has the accident and that is suppose to lead into the Flash series their hoping to spin off . He probably doesn't appear in costume

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I don't think that is Laurel, actually. Someone posted in the thread earlier, it sounds like the Black Canary is a separate actress - and, thus, probably a separate character. Here's the quote:

It's not her now. She still will be eventually. The current one is...

Second part in a different spoiler, just to be sure you want to know before you hover. All this stuff was mentioned freely in interviews, but I know some went into blackout mode

Sarah, the sister.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollis posted:

Yeah but supposedly he shows up as Barry Allen first then he has the accident and that is suppose to lead into the Flash series their hoping to spin off . He probably doesn't appear in costume

Well, they've already said he'll have a version of the costume. But much later this season. He shows up first as Barry Allen in episode 8 and closer to the end of the season will be the Flash episode that serves as a backdoor pilot of sorts for the new series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadpool posted:

Well, they've already said he'll have a version of the costume. But much later this season. He shows up first as Barry Allen in episode 8 and closer to the end of the season will be the Flash episode that serves as a backdoor pilot of sorts for the new series.

Oh I see I didn't know that about Them making a sort of backdoor pilot that's pretty cool.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just caught up, and yea, that was awesome.

It seemed like every major element, while not perfect, was better. Even Laurel and all her stuff seems more relevant and connected, and despite one really soapy scene they seem to putting will they/won't they on the back burner, which is a good thing.

I'm also super curious how they're gonna do the effects for the Flash and make them not look awful.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Frankly, the only thing that DC has done right in a long while. I love this show. So glad it's back. I agree, it seemed like everything was just streamlined to an even smoother show. Laurel wasn't what I usually hate about her and the season started off on a cylinders firing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From the pilot of the show.

Seems that Summer Glau is on the list.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Good God it feels great to have this show back.

"A representative from Central City says construction on the STAR Labs particle accelerator should be completed by Christmas..." OH MY GOD :flashfap:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That was a rockin premiere, can NOT wait for more, this season is gonna be great.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I really missed this dumb show. Fantastic premiere, got me really excited for basically every character this season.

*shoots rope arrow into sky*
*magically flies away*

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I love love love this show. My only complaint is Laurel. She's duddy'd up like a prostitute in nearly every scene. She sticks out like a sore thumb, takes me right out of the show and reminds me its the CW. Who the hell goes to a cemetery in a skin tight pink dress with a push up bra? Rggh. She's worse than Hannah McKay.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ProfessorLoomis posted:

She's worse than Hannah McKay.

Whoa! Let's not get crazy here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This show loving owns. So glad it's back. Great season opener; it was a much needed refresher after I had to struggle to get through Agents of Shield. :allears:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh man the opening with Lian Yu where they showed that sunken ship and then at the end of the flashback with the ship :aaa:

Also I'm hoping there isn't a love triangle with Slade/Shado/Ollie but I have to guess they have to start causing a rift between him and Deathstroke sometime soon to get to the point where we see his mask on the island ala the pilot and tonight's premiere.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

VDay posted:

Man I really missed this dumb show. Fantastic premiere, got me really excited for basically every character this season.

*shoots rope arrow into sky*
*magically flies away*

Ah! That was so goofy. I wonder if they wanted to make that scene appear badass (and failed) or if they intentionally made it humorous.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm extremely disappointed in this premiere. They had a perfect chance for a guard to say "NO TOUCHING!" and didn't take it. For shame, CW. For shame.

(the episode loving owned i'm so glad arrow is back)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I love love love this show. My only complaint is Laurel. She's duddy'd up like a prostitute in nearly every scene. She sticks out like a sore thumb, takes me right out of the show and reminds me its the CW. Who the hell goes to a cemetery in a skin tight pink dress with a push up bra? Rggh. She's worse than Hannah McKay.
Her makeup really bugs me. I'm a guy and don't actually know anything about makeup so I don't know what it is about it, but she always looks like she's wearing a plastic mask and I always find it distracting. It doesn't help that I also don't think she's a particularly good actress, but for some dumb reason the makeup is always the more distracting part for me.

seravid posted:

Ah! That was so goofy. I wonder if they wanted to make that scene appear badass (and failed) or if they intentionally made it humorous.
I don't know and I don't care.

MY PLANET NEEDS ME

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awesome season opener... Whoever is ragging on Laurel's clothing needs a pimp slap.

She's a stone fox and i want to see her in a variety of revealing outfits this season

calling it now... OG Black Canary is Laurel's self defense coach and is friends with laurel, dies just after she passes on a bag of leather and fishnets.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 10, 2013

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

VDay posted:

Her makeup really bugs me. I'm a guy and don't actually know anything about makeup so I don't know what it is about it, but she always looks like she's wearing a plastic mask and I always find it distracting. It doesn't help that I also don't think she's a particularly good actress, but for some dumb reason the makeup is always the more distracting part for me.

It's quite odd to me too. It seems that it's a combination of poor make up direction and inappropriate lighting setup for her scenes. Especially strange since the show's been good at scene construction in the past.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show continues to be the greatest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm so glad Arrow is back. It was pretty much everything I could have ever hoped for :swoon:

Rocksicles posted:

Awesome season opener... Whoever is ragging on Laurel's clothing needs a pimp slap.

She's a stone fox and i want to see her in a variety of revealing outfits this season

Thank you for your insightful criticism.

:stare:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Sober posted:

Oh man the opening with Lian Yu where they showed that sunken ship and then at the end of the flashback with the ship :aaa:

I was wondering if that was the ship you saw in the hilarious parachute sequence.

Ollie braining that chap :drat:

At least he didn't say "Up, up and awaaaaaaaaay!" as he flew off :v:

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
I'm continuously amazed that this show is awesome.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rope-arrowing away better be how Ollie escapes from every single situation from now on or else I just don't know what to think of this show anymore. :colbert:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Rope arrow is awesome. Arrow does a great job of embracing the absurdities and cheesiness of superhero media.

Also, rope arrow is one step closer to boxing glove arrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hi liter posted:

Rope arrow is awesome. Arrow does a great job of embracing the absurdities and cheesiness of superhero media.

Also, rope arrow is one step closer to boxing glove arrow!

And guaranteed non-lethal.

• Locked thread