Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

limeincoke posted:

What are the rules on NCAA football fields? Like, could Oregon just turn their field into a tifo every game, with ridiculous turf designs?

I'm pretty sure they changed the rules a few years back so that they have to be green, but Boise and a few other school were grandfathered in but if they change their field they have to go to the standard green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
The blue field started in 1986, and, well, the 80s were a strange time.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Apparently Fresno wants to maybe win this?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

drunk leprechaun posted:

I'm pretty sure they changed the rules a few years back so that they have to be green, but Boise and a few other school were grandfathered in but if they change their field they have to go to the standard green.
Boise was the only non-green field for over two decades, but now there are six (one is an NAIA team and one is in DII). Eastern Washington turned Roos Field red in '09, and Central Arkansas plays on this purple-and-gray nightmare that's ugly as sin. It's kind of gone unnoticed because they're still about as terrible as they've ever been, but Eastern Michigan actually changed their field to gray just this year and are apparently promoting it as "The Factory" now.

The rulebook just seems to say the lines and such have to be white.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
This is like the 3rd time this year we've busted out the pass-to-the-QB stuff. Fun to watch.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
boise st with the halfback-to-qb TD pass

owns

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wheez the roux posted:

owns

The Boise we all know and love...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't like the colored fields. They hurt my eyes.

More stadiums should have H shaped goalposts though. I like those.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

wheez the roux posted:

owns

Pullin' out the trickery to beat Fresno State. They used to do that against giants like Oklahoma, but now...

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Overpriced Grocery Store Stadium

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Pullin' out the trickery to beat Fresno State. They used to do that against giants like Oklahoma, but now...

Hey

Hey

Hey

Shut up :mad:

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Isn't trickery just another form of misdirection? I don't see why teams don't more things like halfback passes and throwbacks part of their base package. I'm sure it would piss some DC's off if they had to tell their guys not to rush rush lanes because the RB flips it back to the QB 10 times a game.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

limeincoke posted:

Isn't trickery just another form of misdirection? I don't see why teams don't more things like halfback passes and throwbacks part of their base package. I'm sure it would piss some DC's off if they had to tell their guys not to rush rush lanes because the RB flips it back to the QB 10 times a game.

I think because they are so high risk. And they take practice time away from the basics. Yeah trick plays are fun, but are usually high risk high reward.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Another boise win

Another football tragedy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nice block there rear end in a top hat (Temple I mean)

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

drunk leprechaun posted:

I think because they are so high risk. And they take practice time away from the basics. Yeah trick plays are fun, but are usually high risk high reward.

All I've seen from "trick" plays is either a incompletion or a good gain/touchdown. Like really if a team actually made them a part of their offense all it would do is give the QB like, 2-3 seconds to read the defense with no pressure at all.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Boise State wasn't perfect, but they got it done and 5-2 is a nice place to be.
One of the commentators said he thought Mississippi was the #1 team in the country, and I really can't defend that statement. The Bulldogs have a better resume and a steadier quarterback. Florida State is better too, I think.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lol there are Friday night commentators? Why?

I've only ever watched the Friday game at a bar on mute.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Dear Notre Dame

Please beat the Seminoles. gently caress Florida State. Please beat them into the ground.

Then, if you would be so kind, please lose to Navy. Thanks in advance.

With Love,
fffff

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Holy poo poo what a terrible quarter for Temple.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Basil Hayden posted:

Boise was the only non-green field for over two decades, but now there are six (one is an NAIA team and one is in DII). Eastern Washington turned Roos Field red in '09, and Central Arkansas plays on this purple-and-gray nightmare that's ugly as sin. It's kind of gone unnoticed because they're still about as terrible as they've ever been, but Eastern Michigan actually changed their field to gray just this year and are apparently promoting it as "The Factory" now.

The rulebook just seems to say the lines and such have to be white.

I just looked up the Central Arkansas one and all I can say is holy gently caress that's ugly. Feast your eyes:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

I just looked up the Central Arkansas one and all I can say is holy gently caress that's ugly. Feast your eyes:

I don't see the problem here

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Strobe posted:

I don't know what you're complaining about, that's fabulous!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Holy poo poo what a terrible quarter for Temple.

A thing said about most quarters of Temple football

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Strobe posted:

Don't show this to K-State or they'll get ideas.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Probably Magic posted:

Are you kidding? K-State never does anything weird or original. Have you seen their jerseys for the past four decades?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Basil Hayden posted:

Boise was the only non-green field for over two decades, but now there are six (one is an NAIA team and one is in DII). Eastern Washington turned Roos Field red in '09,

I really thought I'd hate the Eastern Washington field, but it looks awesome with their uniforms.

Probably Magic posted:

I guess they could put a track around the field, that might be fun.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Grittybeard posted:

I really thought I'd hate the Eastern Washington field, but it looks awesome with their uniforms.
Yeah, when I heard it described, I was wary, but when I watched them beat Villanova in the 2010 FCS semifinals I had to pretty much admit that Field of Blood is a pretty cool idea (even if they call it "Inferno" instead for some reason apparently).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

wheez the roux posted:

i hope the huskies win out and go into the apple cup 11-1 ranked somewhere in the top 15 at which point we blow them out and stomp on their dreams

I would be cool with them going 10 and 2 and then you guys can blow them out

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

The-Mole posted:

I would be cool with them going 10 and 2 and then you guys can blow them out

tbh either of those would be far beyond my expectations so I think I'd still be okay with them

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Manoueverable posted:

tbh either of those would be far beyond my expectations so I think I'd still be okay with them

Hell yall could go to the playoffs for all I care, as long as the 15 year streak of beating washington continues.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

limeincoke posted:

All I've seen from "trick" plays is either a incompletion or a good gain/touchdown. Like really if a team actually made them a part of their offense all it would do is give the QB like, 2-3 seconds to read the defense with no pressure at all.
The only time trick plays were a solid part of the offense was the Wildcat, but that was a trick formation that was actually a really old formation that nobody remembered how to defend. The magic wore off pretty fast.

I'm all for more fake punts / fake kicks though.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

The-Mole posted:

Hell yall could go to the playoffs for all I care, as long as the 15 year streak of beating washington continues.

wazzu winning the apple cup is literally the only thing left that can give us even a taste of positivity in this loving dumpster fire shitheap of a season

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I really don't get how wsu looks so much better but still isn't winning much

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

The-Mole posted:

I really don't get how wsu looks so much better but still isn't winning much

the past 4 years we had the best kicker in the ncaa and now we have one of the worst, a number of games have hinged on field goals

basically everyone in the pac-12 is rapidly improving as well (except oregon but that's because they're coming down from being a top 3 national team for the past 5 years)

the highs of mike leach offense paired with the lows of mike leach defense

probably a bunch of other factors but those would be my big 3

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wheez the roux posted:

basically everyone in the pac-12 is rapidly improving as well (except oregon but that's because they're coming down from being a top 3 national team for the past 5 years)

Does this go for Colorado out of curiosity? I mean it wouldn't be exactly hard for that to be true but I haven't paid any attention to them the last couple of years,.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Does this go for Colorado out of curiosity? I mean it wouldn't be exactly hard for that to be true but I haven't paid any attention to them the last couple of years,.

honestly I have no idea, i haven't seen them play this year

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
gently caress Florida State, but also gently caress Notre Dame... makes you think...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I see that boycott didn't turn out so well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

GET OFF MY TV TIM TEBOW

• Locked thread