Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a patch today. Did They Add The Fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
No idea, I've been playing space cowboy/trucker to awesome tunes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Normal Adult Human posted:

There was a patch today. Did They Add The Fun?

I've just spent 27 turns hunting 3 rats before Alt+F4ing. Didn't have Fun

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how they can make this game fun for release but I think persistent multiplayer might help a bunch. Blood bowl is also an awful game besides that.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

persistent multiplayer

I think that really is/should be what this game is about, leagues, persistence, and warband management.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
so they added persistent multiplayer today and made demons not automatically always without exception attack your guys

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Demons will gently caress your face. Holy poo poo.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
So is this released as a full game yet, I remember seeing the 5th of November on an advert, yet steam still shows it as easy access.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just about. I think there's one more big rear end update planned first.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just about. I think there's one more big rear end update planned first.
If it's not a dumb question, is this game any good? I've been watching it for a while and really hoping but I hear a lot of mixed stuff about it :ohdear:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
no it's bad. if you bought and enjoyed blood bowl it's about on that level of play.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
if you want a turn based tactical strategy game play xcom. if you love stupid warhammer grimdark poo poo get vermintide. if you are a spookygaming roguelikeliker get darkest dungeon.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I tried playing this a couple of weeks ago, I got a map with about 40 spawn points. Discovered the only way to select spawn points was using the A and D to cycle through them in a disorientating way that seemed to also spin the camera randomly. Quit.

Why the gently caress would you not be able to select spawn points or at least jump to one using the over head camera? Why are there over 40 spawn points all right next to each other? If they are releasing this with complete failures of basic UI like that, that's ridiculous.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Oh, that sucks. Oh well, thanks for the info. Guess I'll keep half an eye on it to see if it ever gets good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zephro posted:

If it's not a dumb question, is this game any good? I've been watching it for a while and really hoping but I hear a lot of mixed stuff about it :ohdear:

I enjoy the hell out of it. The turns can sometimes feel long and in the beginning you'll get your rear end kicked a lot, but it feels worth it after a while. They recently introduced a feature to eliminate the save scumming people were doing to try and avoid the nasty things that were happening to their warband, so now if you alt+F4 out of the game you automatically lose the fight you're in. I both like and dislike this new feature. I like it because save scumming is for assholes, and I dislike because I can be a save scumming rear end in a top hat when I make a stupid mistake and get my warlock killed. Again.

loving Warlocks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Theswarms posted:

I tried playing this a couple of weeks ago, I got a map with about 40 spawn points. Discovered the only way to select spawn points was using the A and D to cycle through them in a disorientating way that seemed to also spin the camera randomly. Quit.

Why the gently caress would you not be able to select spawn points or at least jump to one using the over head camera? Why are there over 40 spawn points all right next to each other? If they are releasing this with complete failures of basic UI like that, that's ridiculous.

Those spawn points all over the place are for strategic placement of your dudes. Instead of your guys getting randomly splashed around so that both your marksmen end up next to each other with no melee backup, you can set yourself up for success. This is especially important when you get into the higher difficulty missions.

no it's bad. if you bought and enjoyed blood bowl it's about on that level of play.

This is wrong and you are wrong.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
I know why the spawn points are there, it's just actually using them is terrible. Why not just give me spawn areas and let me place my guys inside? Why not let me select them from the strategic view instead of cycling through all of them using a and d? Moving between them is incredibly disorientating in a game I already find difficult to orientate myself in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Those spawn points all over the place are for strategic placement of your dudes. Instead of your guys getting randomly splashed around so that both your marksmen end up next to each other with no melee backup, you can set yourself up for success. This is especially important when you get into the higher difficulty missions.

The main problem with the gazillion spawn points is that you can only cycle through them one at a time instead of freely choosing whichever you like, all while you're on a timer. With only 30 seconds to spare you don't even have enough time to look at each one in any detail.

As for the overall quality... I actually quite like it. It's still rather rough around the edges, but nonetheless I actually found myself playing this drat thing for hours even just in singleplayer. The allure of "just one more mission" is certainly there. My main criticism is that the effects of many weapons and skills is just a tad too granular to feel meaningful. Almost everything is just 2% to this or 4% to that, having more discrete and unique effects would make leveling much more interesting.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Theswarms posted:

I know why the spawn points are there, it's just actually using them is terrible. Why not just give me spawn areas and let me place my guys inside? Why not let me select them from the strategic view instead of cycling through all of them using a and d? Moving between them is incredibly disorientating in a game I already find difficult to orientate myself in.

That's true, moving between them is a huge pain in the rear end. I'm glad they are changing that already.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
They're updating the spawn points? If I could just learn how to orientate myself and what all these weapon choices actually mean, I might like this game!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Zephro posted:

Its not a good game. Until you gain levels basic strategy is "do 2 on one fights and pray". Don't play sisters, they dont have any ranged at the start.

If you like bloodbowl you MIGHT like this.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Theswarms posted:

They're updating the spawn points? If I could just learn how to orientate myself and what all these weapon choices actually mean, I might like this game!

Weapons choices were something that took me a while and a lot of experimenting to figure out. Human halberds are amazing, they hit like a 2-Handed Axe but allow you to Parry as well. Swords are the all-rounded weapon and adds a small parry bonus as well. Hammers and Maces are fun for smashing and really great if you want to build up a fighter to be a crit machine. Spears don't do a lot of damage but they get through defenses really easy, I rarely have even a Skaven dodge my spears. Pistol are OK placeholders until you get Dueling Pistol. The Blunderbus is terrible and should never be used. The Handgun does high damage and crits easy but is totally outshined by the Hunting Rifle which has the longest range in the game and any decent marksmen can thread a needle with it. With humans never duel-wield, it's dumb and takes away from the Humans one real advantage, armor and defense. If you are duel-wielding, even a sword and dagger, you can't parry. I think that's pretty stupid really.

Armbands are used by hitty characters like Mutants, Rat Ogres, Demons and a few other troop types I haven't seen yet.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This is wrong and you are wrong.

They are so incredibly obnoxious to use in almost every map that i just random deploy.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I compare this game to blood bowl because it is a deeply, deeply flawed game and most of the flaws are too ingrained in the system to ever patch out without fundamental redesign but it is meant to cater to a very specific group of people who will enjoy it for what it is despite it not being very good. Blood bowl was fun but not good. Mordheim is kind of fun but not good, maybe multiplayer campaigns will make it fun.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I compare this game to blood bowl because it is a deeply, deeply flawed game and most of the flaws are too ingrained in the system to ever patch out without fundamental redesign but it is meant to cater to a very specific group of people who will enjoy it for what it is despite it not being very good. Blood bowl was fun but not good. Mordheim is kind of fun but not good, maybe multiplayer campaigns will make it fun.

I can see it catering to a specific group of people. I actually didn't enjoy Bloodbowl, despite like the PNP game. I'm enjoying the hell out of Mordheim.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Missing Eye: Perception is increased by 10% instead of being reduced and Initiative is increased by 10 (the 10% penalty remains to Melee and Ranged hit chances)
idgi

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Don't you know that missing an eye just makes you a loving badass and isn't actually a serious disability?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It is clearly traded for wisdom.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Don't you know that missing an eye just makes you a loving badass and isn't actually a serious disability?

Also, missing an arm apparently makes you better at dodging. After all, there's less of you to hit! :pseudo:

But yeah, on the whole these changes should make the death spiral for struggling warbands not quite as severe. As it stands right now, one bad break during the first few missions means you might as well re-roll, as you often simply don't have the necessary buffer in wyrdstone to sit on your rear end for a week until everybody's recovered.

Full notes for posterity:

quote:

General

Unlocked the Rank 7 for Warriors and Wardbands
Steam Achievements will now be there and unlock properly
Take note that these are NOT retroactive
Fixed an issue where only Bloodletters were spawning if a Daemon was to be present. Now all Daemons will be in the rotation of enemies
Reduced the Base Wounds of Bloodletters, Daemonettes and Plaguebearers by 65 Wounds
Fixed an issue were Daemons were always spawning during Brutal and Deadly missions. They will not always be present anymore
In Skirmish the option to add Daemons will be set to OFF by default now
The chances to suffer from an Ambush or to be Ambushed after selecting a mission has been reduced from 15% chances to 10% chances
Added more potential nodes for Ambushers in Ambush scenarios
For the Story Mission 1-3 of the Possessed, Players are not forced to gather all 3 Lures anymore, they only need to gather 1
The Chaos Ogre has been added to the potential list of roaming monsters
Fixed an issue with Fylch that should hopefully prevent him from getting trapped into the ground
Save Game during Single Player Missions
Fixed an issue where the Liberator’s Boon buff was applied when it wasn’t supposed to be
Updates on Combat GUI to provide better feedback of what happens to Players (first pass, more to come as this is still a Work in Progress)
New GUI button in the Warband management to browse available Hired Swords even when your warband is full
Modified the description of the Mutation “The Eye” to mention it prevents the warrior of equipping Light and Heavy armor
Improved the message to include which campaign is to be deleted when attempting to delete a campaign
Added Warriors' footsteps and shout variations on multiple animations and sequences.
New retroaction GUI display during mission (Still a work in progress, not yet localized)
Fixed the missing parry animation on Mercenaries and Possessed one handed weapon failed attack
Fixed the missing parry animation on Skaven with claws
Fixed an issue where the AI wouldn't use action zones properly
Fixed an issue that could prevent skirmish games (exhibition or contest) from loading when Daemon were added to the game.
Added combat log localization
Tweaked AI

Injuries
In order to increase the will of keeping a veteran in your warband, we’ve toned down and adjusted a multitude of injuries.

When rolling for injuries, reduced the chances to get “Multiple Injuries”
Added a new Injury named Deep Wound. The injury takes 5 days to recover, but has no long term effect
Reduced the recovery time of Severed Arm, Severed Leg and Missing Eye to 5 days instead of 7
Reduced the recovery time of Concussion, Internal Wound and Maimed Hand to 4 days instead of 5
Severed Arm: this injury now also provides a 20% bonus to Dodge
Severed Leg: now doesn’t prevent the use of Charge and Ambush actions anymore. Now reduces movement by 1 instead of 2
Missing Eye: Perception is increased by 10% instead of being reduced and Initiative is increased by 10 (the 10% penalty remains to Melee and Ranged hit chances)
Mysterious Ailment: the penalty to wounds has been reduced to -10 instead of -15
The rating reduction provided by the injuries Concussion, Internal Wound and Skull Fracture has been increased to -15 instead of -5
Megalomania: the injury doesn’t prevent spellcasting anymore, instead it increases the costs of spells by 2 OP

Items

Draught of Lucidity and Draught of Calm have been removed from the loot tables since the injuries Half-Crazy and Paranoia are not yet in the game. If you already have some of those consumables they can be sold.
The rating of items based on their quality has been modified as follow (Normal/ Fine / Masterwork):
Consumables: 2 / 4 / 6
Helmets & Pendants: 5 / 10 / 15
Armor: 10 / 20 / 30
1H Weapons & Shields: 5 / 10 / 15
2H Weapons: 10 / 20 / 30
Range Weapons: 10 / 20 / 30
The rating of Runes/Mark based on their quality has been modified as follow (Regular / Masterwork):
Helmets & Pendants: 5 / 10
Armor: 10 / 20
1H Weapons & Shields: 5 / 10
2H Weapons: 10 / 20
Range Weapons: 10 / 20

Rune & Marks

Mark of Conspiracy now also increase chances to cast spells by 10/20% (5/10% for 1 handed weapons)

Known Issues

You will see Warriors reposition themselves after a mission reload
Using multiple delays with mission reload might skip Warriors' turn, in some specific cases.
If you reload a mission while your Warrior was on an action zone (jump, climb, etc...) you will need to walk out and back in, the action zone, to see the action available.
The 1st tutorial message, that pops up at the beginning of the 1st mission, will reappear after a mission reloa

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Lassitude posted:

If you're Skaven, you just cram a chunk of warpstone in the empty eye socket and your vision improves.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Two Beans posted:

If you're Skaven, you just cram a chunk of warpstone in the empty eye socket and

And if your Cult you jam it in there believing that your vision improves and your balls drop off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well I'll be damned, they actually fully released it now. Release patchnotes here:

quote:

Updates

- Up to 7 Languages available to play the game: English, Français, Deutsch, Español, Italiano, Polski, Русский

- Unlocked progression to Rank 10 for Warriors and Warbands (max rank)

- Unlocked story missions of Act 2

- Added the introduction video for Mordheim: City of the Damned!

- Voice over for Prologue and Epilogue of Story missions have been added

- It will now be possible to select a Morale threshold for PvP matches. Be aware that once this threshold is reached, a Morale check will trigger

- In Skirmish missions, we added a Rating restriction field when creating a lobby

- Added multiple sound FX and narrator lines during missions and in the menus

- New musics for all bosses

General Fixes

Fixed the opacity of Quest Helpers to make them more visible in all maps
The Tiring debuff effect has been reduced from -20% to -15%
The Dual Wield debuff effect has been reduced from -30% to -25%
Fixed a quest FX that was not placed properly in the second mission of the Mercenaries
Changed the starting position of the Chaos Ogre in Mercenaries Story mission 4
When a caster suffers from the curse “Smite” or “Tzeentch’s Wrath”, during the next injury roll it can only get one of the following results:
Amnesia
Trauma
Deep Wound
Full Recovery
Near Death
Fixed an issue in Tutorial 2 where the keys to cycle between targets were displaying A & D instead of Q & E
Modified the text for the achievements about looting Chests. It will now properly indicate you must search Loot Points
A message has been added on Round start to let Player know that Out of Action warriors dragged themselves away from the battlefield, thus taking their weapons with them
It is now possible to view the Injury Tab while training skills and spells
We’ve split the Buff and Debuff panels in two different panels instead of being on the same one
Repositioned the Offense and Strategy Points and grouped them 2 by 2 to improve their visibility
Moved the Hired Sword list in the Reserve panel and specified it was View Only (no hired swords can be hired from there)
Fixed multiple assets issues with LODs and materials
Fixed buff animation not playing on the Bloodletter
Updated all shouting sounds for all Warriors and Daemons
Changed references to "Campaign" in the Main Menu to "Warband"
Fixed issues with the attack camera
Multiple miscellaneous bugfixes and tweaks

Well, I guess I know what I'm doing this evening.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
so.. are we gonna start a goonheim league or waht

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want the man wearing a pig as my commander

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
theres only 4 warbands? are thre gonna be more

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

theres only 4 warbands? are thre gonna be more

Not a doubt in my mind, will we have to pay for them? Idk.

I'm down for a goon league. So down. Do you think we would be better suited to meet on like a Saturday for like 4 hours? Get a couple rounds in at a time?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

always be closing posted:

Not a doubt in my mind, will we have to pay for them? Idk.

I'm down for a goon league. So down. Do you think we would be better suited to meet on like a Saturday for like 4 hours? Get a couple rounds in at a time?

I'd be down for goon on goon league. Also I hope they add orcs, cause I love em.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
so does this have online matchmaker? hows the pvp?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
doesnt look like there's a matchmaker or league support. theres exhibition matches which count for progression and skirmishes which don;t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
conquest matchmaker would make this game a+

• Locked thread