Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
so if we take the people who say the a-10's airframe is worn out and we HAVE to retire them soon at face value, say we wanted to replace them with more a-10s instead of the lovely f35, is it possible to make more of them? or would it be a giant pain in the rear end to remake the tools and dies and whatever the gently caress i dont know what im saying factory stuff to do it? im sure at least the blueprints are still around. and certainly they still make parts for the ones in the field right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The A-10 is a really old design by now, so simply cloning the blueprints would honestly be a waste. On the other hand, letting it be redesigned as an entirely new plane with modern technology and tools taken into account would probably lead to a similar monstrosity to the F-35, unless it gets strangled in the cradle.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Damo posted:

so if we take the people who say the a-10's airframe is worn out and we HAVE to retire them soon at face value, say we wanted to replace them with more a-10s instead of the lovely f35, is it possible to make more of them? or would it be a giant pain in the rear end to remake the tools and dies and whatever the gently caress i dont know what im saying factory stuff to do it? im sure at least the blueprints are still around. and certainly they still make parts for the ones in the field right?

I'm sure the jigs are probably gone now. Fairchild doesn't even exist as a company anymore and I'm not sure who owns the type cert on it. By the way I don't know too much about the F-35 program specifically (except that it's a huge loving boondoggle) but I do know an insane amount about aviation and I hope the OP doesn't ever post about it again.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 16, 2015

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Shadeoses posted:

The A-10 is a really old design by now, so simply cloning the blueprints would honestly be a waste.

Holy poo poo stop posting. You are loving dumb as hell. Also every EVERY military procurement plan has gone over budget except black programs (which most erroneously believe are the worst offenders) and the F-15, which only came out under budget because of utilizing the same process as a black program. If you want look up the book Air Superiority Blue an excellent read on military procurement and aircraft design.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

David Copperfield posted:

Is the Osprey still a deathtrap or just was one for decades? (Ignoring that it's taking you to places with Marines)

It's because the gov was gonna cut the program but it was so far along the Air Force stepped in and said "poo poo's ours now, don't touch." And flight test was done like a year later. The problem wasn't the aircraft, the problem was that the USMC has terrible mx practices.

If the USAF really wants to save money they get rid of my baby, the B-1. 30 man hours of mx per 1 hour of flight time is pretty bad. Love that jet but it's a mx disaster, though it's electrical multiplexing makes it good for wire mx at least. Per the F-14 earlier, once the A+/B models came out with the bigger engine it was fine, still mx intensive but it's a carrier bird so that's mainly the environment. The Iranians had a great waxing Mig-23's and Mirage F-1's with it.

Ok I'm done posting.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 16, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
'All military planes go over budget' is a better argument for not wasting so much money on them than it is for defending the f-35

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Splode posted:

'All military planes go over budget' is a better argument for not wasting so much money on them than it is for defending the f-35

I didn't say planes, I said all military procurements for anything, ever. Also I didn't defend the F-35 I actually said "boondoggle"

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Crow_Rodeo posted:

It's because the gov was gonna cut the program but it was so far along the Air Force stepped in and said "poo poo's ours now, don't touch." And flight test was done like a year later. The problem wasn't the aircraft, the problem was that the USMC has terrible mx practices.

If the USAF really wants to save money they get rid of my baby, the B-1. 30 man hours of mx per 1 hour of flight time is pretty bad. Love that jet but it's a mx disaster, though it's electrical multiplexing makes it good for wire mx at least. Per the F-14 earlier, once the A+/B models came out with the bigger engine it was fine, still mx intensive but it's a carrier bird so that's mainly the environment. The Iranians had a great waxing Mig-23's and Mirage F-1's with it.

Ok I'm done posting.

Ever since they took the nukes away from the Bone is aint had a mission. Cool rear end plane that serves literally no purpose other than looking bad rear end as gently caress

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Crow_Rodeo posted:

Holy poo poo stop posting. You are loving dumb as hell. Also every EVERY military procurement plan has gone over budget except black programs (which most erroneously believe are the worst offenders) and the F-15, which only came out under budget because of utilizing the same process as a black program. If you want look up the book Air Superiority Blue an excellent read on military procurement and aircraft design.

:saddowns:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Crow_Rodeo posted:

I didn't say planes, I said all military procurements for anything, ever. Also I didn't defend the F-35 I actually said "boondoggle"

So you're not really making a point, you're just yelling at the OP for not being as big a milsperg as you?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

its ok i liked your op and we can keep making fun of the f35 lightning 2 itt

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going to go cry in my enormous swimming pool full of million dollar notes (I am the humanoid form of LockMart)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The F-35 is actually really good.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Crow_Rodeo posted:

All procurement programs by the most insanely corrupt organization in human history (in absolute terms, dragging the floor with the best the soviet union could ever muster).

This is a good metric!!! Wait, what were we originally talking about, again?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Splode posted:

So you're not really making a point, you're just yelling at the OP for not being as big a milsperg as you?

He's talking with authority on a subject he's clearly not very well versed in.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I'm kind of dismayed knowing that the F-35 will NEVER be sent into a combat mission, not once till the day it's retired. It's sad, because we'd all like to see how badly it gets destroyed by antiquated AA technology. But we're almost certainly never going to see that, because no General in his right mind would ever send an F-35 against actual enemies.

The best we'll get to see is how well the F-35 can handle itself against wedding ceremonies and funerals. Not very satisfying.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Not sure how the air force plans on handling an integrated AAA defense when they scrapped all of their wild weasel and electronic warfare aircraft

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

Not sure how the air force plans on handling an integrated AAA defense when they scrapped all of their wild weasel and electronic warfare aircraft

The F-16CJ is the current Wild Weasel and the navy has the EA-18G growler for ECM, and you can strap HARMs and cluster munitions to pretty much anything.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bolow posted:

Someone hasn't heard about the magical toxic skin that is stealth coating the F-35 :smuggo:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

this is A Good Article

thanks

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Crow_Rodeo posted:

Ok I'm done posting.

good

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

stay safe the ghost of poverty

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wait how exactly do we know that black programs don't go over budget? and if they don't why don't they?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ArmZ posted:

wait how exactly do we know that black programs don't go over budget? and if they don't why don't they?

Every military procurement program has gone over budget. Black programs just have a hell of a lot more wiggle room when it comes to hiding the costs from congress and the public. Even procurement successes like the F-16 were still over budget, just orders of magnitude less over budget than the rest of the pack. A procurement program that doesn't go over budget is a failure, as it didn't put enough money into the right pockets.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Crow_Rodeo posted:

ok smart guy, point by point correct his dumb op

we're all here to learn aerospace man!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Crow_Rodeo posted:

*in a high pitch mocking tone*

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
op was a nancy boy who scrubbed the op so i had to find this f-32 pic myself

During testing in the late 90's, aviators nicknamed it the Monica. guess why

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

op was a nancy boy who scrubbed the op so i had to find this f-32 pic myself

During testing in the late 90's, aviators nicknamed it the Monica. guess why
Oh my god OP did

OP, you fuckin commie turn-coat

Put that poo poo back!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crow_Rodeo posted:

happy now?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Oh no someone who knows about stuff corrected me. Better change my original post, instead of chalk it up as a learning experience. -OP

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

million dollar notes

Op is also clearly not Murican.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The F-35 is actually really good, though.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

The F-35 is actually really good, though.

Do you get mad when the mechanic tells you whats wrong with your car?

Do you get mad when the Dr. tells you whats wrong with your body?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Name one thing wrong with the F-35 :colbert:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

Name one thing wrong with the F-35 :colbert:
It doesn't turn well
it can't fly if there is moisture in the air without catching on fire
it smells like farts

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Op you're such a bitch, fix that post

e: BE TRUE TO YOURSELF

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
*gay voice* oh no got owned i should edit my post so i dont look like a huge massive idiot bitcj

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OP get your poo poo together

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
op your op was funny
why did you edit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gimme back the original OP dude. It was great

Also landing gear...yeah...cool stuff.

• Locked thread