Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
me? well, it's not my fault you guys dont know the definition of a plothole (or that you apparently can't follow a plot, hah). there were no plotholes, or next to none as far as there can be a movie with no inconsistencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

you should have paid attention

he was shown studying a lot of languages for a long time, iirc one of the writings looked a lot like the hieroglyphs the goo panel had. stupid, maybe but totally explained.

did you watch the movie? just before he told weyland he will find out what the black goo does if put inside a human. then he asks how far should he go, and weyland says as far as it takes. he's a cold mofo.

i don't think he did? did he? i can't remember this anymore.

Every weird thing David did was because Weyland told him too, it's in the movie

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

concerned mom posted:

Every weird thing David did was because Weyland told him too, it's in the movie

this is how i remember it, but apparently it wasn't rubbed in your face hard enough. PLOTHOLE!

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Even the parts that did have David were loving awful in places. How did David know how to use the goo-panel to open the door in the ship? Why did he infect the dude scientist with the black goo, and how did he know that the dude scientist would knock up the chick scientist to create an alien baby?

dumb

David could see in infrared and ultraviolet light so he just pushed the button with a glowing sign that said "push here to open door" that the humans couldn't see.

What, your version of the movie didn't have a scene that explained this? Were you watching a copy that had been edited for syndication or something?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

when you think about it transformers 4 is the perfect movie

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

when you think about it transformers 4 is the perfect movie

i've heard good things about the crank and fast & furious franchises as well

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
See, this is why you should decide from the beginning if you're making a stupid space monster movie or a 'makes you think' space movie. If you try to slop it up the middle, you get some Mommy's Special Little Fatass who leaves the theater feeling smart and defends it to the bitter end because he got a good score on a standardized test back when his BMI was double digits

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tujague posted:

See, this is why you should decide from the beginning if you're making a stupid space monster movie or a 'makes you think' space movie. If you try to slop it up the middle, you get some Mommy's Special Little Fatass who leaves the theater feeling smart and defends it to the bitter end because he got a good score on a standardized test back when his BMI was double digits

you don't exactly need that much brain power to follow a movie like prometheus. you guys are making a big deal out of it because you just missed poo poo. it might be dumb, but it's there.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tujague posted:

Just say SETI picked up a blip recognized as a beacon and telescopes determined its coming from a planet
no archaeologists no creator retardation no ancient weyland trying to extend his life
unethical android stays in the movie though and we can still have charlize theron in her panties

wait thats alien
they made alien and covered it with stupid stuff

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's like pitch black and the new one, riddick? they remade the movie, just worse

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i like the scene in tranformers 4 where they crash into a bud light truck and theres bud light BEER cans all over the street and mark whaulberg takes a big chug of bud light beer!!!

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dyna Soar posted:

you don't exactly need that much brain power to follow a movie like prometheus. you guys are making a big deal out of it because you just missed poo poo. it might be dumb, but it's there.

Hey, look, we just said the same thing from two different perspectives!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

it's like pitch black and the new one, riddick? they remade the movie, just worse
the chick in the 3rd riddick movie is hot as gently caress tho

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

the 3rd riddick movie
what is this moon language

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tujague posted:

Hey, look, we just said the same thing from two different perspectives!

i dont get why this makes you so mad, though. i mean i'm not defending the stupid poo poo that's in the movie, just saying that the plot is mostly sensical and that some of the so called plot holes were actually explained in the movie, like davids behaviour for example. it's not perfect by any means but ppl are saying it's dumber than it is.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The running in straight line thing is funny because imagine your average goon in that situation and realise that most people wouldn't have the faintest clue what to do

Now you guys have got me seriousposting

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 11, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
While there's a lot of really hard criticisms you can level at Prometheus, "Too smart/Too complex" isn't one of them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Smiley4 posted:

Admittedly I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but I don't recall either of those. I just remember walking out of the theater totally confused about the whole movie and feeling frustrated that something almost awesome turned into such poo poo in the last 20-30 minutes when things went batshit stupid and they didn't bother to explain much of the previous parts of the movie either.

David is shown talking to somebody in an isolated room (we don't know about Weyland yet, officially), but we can't hear what he's saying. Then he takes the goo and puts it into water - as he presents it to the archeologist, he asks him "How far would you go to accomplish the goal that brought you here". The answer is "As far as I needed". Clearly Weyland instructed him to find out if anything they found could be used to give him his health back. David creates an equivalence between Weyland's mission, and the archeologist's mission, implying that both are justified in using extreme means to produce results, effectively saying "yoi would kill to get what you want, too".

also im gay

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

who left the prehistoric star markers though?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

concerned mom posted:

The running in straight line thing is funny because imagine your average goon in that situation and realise that most people wouldn't have the faintest clue what to do

I'd do a sideways roll like an athlete and survive no problem

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

id also be smoking all the dope/meth my suit could fit and that would explain a lot of poor decisions

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That marker thing is a legit complaint cause even if the aliens had imprinted the map on people's consciousness or something why would they put a map down to a biological weapons base

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

just need a few lines of coke to calm down

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it would have been pretty funny if the chick would have dodged to the side and impaled herself on something. why the hell didn't they do that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

concerned mom posted:

That marker thing is a legit complaint cause even if the aliens had imprinted the map on people's consciousness or something why would they put a map down to a biological weapons base

we can only speculate that either it wasn't a biological weapon, and people hosed poo poo up, or the jockeys originally didn't intend to destroy humanity, but changed their mind, or...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

concerned mom posted:

wasnt that drat thing like two blocks wide, it doesn't really matter what direction you are running then

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
maybe there was a real nice beach resort on the other side of the planet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

it would have been pretty funny if the chick would have dodged to the side and impaled herself on something. why the hell didn't they do that

what would have been a good movie is this trillion dollar mission takes off and while traveling, one by one the crew accidentally trips on sharp poo poo and kills themselves due to being too stoned/dumb to not kill themselves and then they get to the planet and its ALL DAVID FOR 2 HOURS

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

and if this movie was made before alien, how come all the computer systems were so much better? better than anything in any of the alien movies? holograms of an guy pearce? holograms of the planet? an awful movie

ridley scott only has 1 good movie. the director's cut of kingdom of heaven

heh..just stirring you guys up, but he has more stinkers than winners

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

we can only speculate that either it wasn't a biological weapon, and people hosed poo poo up, or the jockeys originally didn't intend to destroy humanity, but changed their mind, or...

or they hired damon lindelof to rewrite the script and hilarity ensued

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dyna Soar posted:

Or just scuffed her shoes and the film ends on a close up of her mildly inconvenienced expression

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

maybe there was a real nice beach resort on the other side of the planet

Come to beautiful Plum Island Animal Disease Center

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
prometheus was an annoying combination of smartness and stupidity that made it hard to tell whether the audience was supposed to think what was happening is stupid or not. i left annoyed, i give it one thumb at half mast.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

and if this movie was made before alien, how come all the computer systems were so much better? better than anything in any of the alien movies? holograms of an guy pearce? holograms of the planet? an awful movie

ridley scott only has 1 good movie. the director's cut of kingdom of heaven

heh..just stirring you guys up, but he has more stinkers than winners

There's a very good film somewhere in kingdom of heaven

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I watch it like once a month, it's so shiny

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

concerned mom posted:

Come to beautiful Plum Island Animal Disease Center

this is like a goon EVE corp recruitment thing

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

wasnt that drat thing like two blocks wide, it doesn't really matter what direction you are running then
the trick is to jump right before the elevator hits the ground

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

if your biggest complaint is that they should have ran sideways they you must be one of those people who contributes to the GOOFS section in IMDB and you should hate yourself.

quote:

Just before Dr Holloway points out the area to land, he unstraps himself from his chair. While leaving the chair he bumps it and you can clearly see the chair is loose on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

O cool what was that unequivocal explanation again

polar bears were raised at the island outpost to operate that magic time wheel in the cave where it was really cold. the end.

• Locked thread