Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Coaches Poll
code:
1.  Ohio State
2.  TCU
3.  Michigan State
4.  Baylor
5.  LSU
6.  Clemson
7.  Utah
8.  Florida State
9.  Oklahoma
10. Alabama
11. Texas A&M
12. Florida
13. Ole Miss
14. Northwestern
15. Notre Dame
16. Georgia
17. USC
18. Stanford
19. Oklahoma State
20. UCLA
21. Michigan
22. Cal
23. Iowa
24. Boise State
25. Memphis

Others Receiving Votes:
Oregon 64; Duke 59; West Virginia 31; Toledo 24; Kansas State 17; Arizona State 16; 
Temple 16; Mississippi State 14; Navy 12; Houston 11; Kentucky 6; Arizona 5; 
North Carolina 4; Missouri 4; Wisconsin 4; Illinois 2; Indiana 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
First time Iowa's been ranked since the second to last week of 2010 (immediately before losing to motherfucking Minnesota)

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Thoguh posted:

Looking at Sander's record, Oklahoma State played Texas Tech in Tokyo that year. Apparently that was a thing for one game a year from 1977 to 1993. What the hell?
Yeah they called it the Mirage Bowl and then later the Coca-Cola Classic. You've got me as to why, exactly, but it apparently resulted in two different NCAA records being set in Tokyo (the single game passing record Connor Halliday broke last year was set there by David Klingler).

Also who is voting for UK in the coaches' poll seriously we just needed OT to beat an OVC team

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dango Bango posted:

Nice ol' Grandpa Riley needs to go. Bullshit that the coaching staff is throwing Armstrong under the bus instead of owning what was a terrible play call. Not to mention getting outcoached by an interim coach for Tim loving Beckman.

:mad:

The nice ol' grandpa image must be working, all the Nebraska fans I know are still trying to make excuses for Riley.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Noctone posted:

The nice ol' grandpa image must be working, all the Nebraska fans I know are still trying to make excuses for Riley.

He passes out butterscotch candies at booster events. He isn't going anywhere.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Hoosiers... bitch... :unsmith:

All things considered, IU went out there and scared OSU. We were in position to win even with the backup QB and RB in the game. That's drat fine work and it was an awesome game to watch.

Zeke Elliot is a grown rear end man and Cardale Jones is real bad. Go Hoosiers

Dishwasher posted:

Indiana didn't go out like bitches, which is the usual. The IU fanbase is waiting for basketball, but our football team is scrappy. We got two more wins in the tank I think. We might be in a bowl. :unsmith:

Feels good man

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 4, 2015

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I would normally say leave tOSU on top since they are the defending champions and no one has beaten them yet. But really, they have some very uninspiring wins over Northern Illinois and Indiana. I guess if they aren't that great, someone will beat them, and we can let it settle itself.
The only possible excuse for Riley is that he just showed up. His track record is mediocre and there's no reason to think it'll become much better overnight. He's like 65 so you get what you get at this stage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So Baylor won its fifth straight BUTT bowl 63-35 while basically just sitting on Texas Tech for the duration of the second half, and I really don't have a ton to complain about. The offense was stupidly good (admittedly against a bad defense) and as balanced as Baylor loves to be. Russell only had to throw 20 passes or so, the run game was just stupidly effective all day. Shock Linwood was maybe as good as I've seen him, had over 200 yards and a career-long 73 yarder to kick things off early, which is the longest run Baylor's seen since Lache Seastrunk was trying for the heisman. The defense was...okay. Orion Stewart had a pretty bad game, Oakman was too quiet, and Grant Campbell missed some easy opportunities on Mahomes, at least one of which let them get a TD on a 3rd or 4th down, but Mahomes didn't seem to be too far below his usual performance and he's the sort of player that's a loving rear end in a top hat to try and defend, especially for a team like Baylor that likes to leave its DBs on islands. Gave up some big passing plays and a lot of yards, but I don't know if there's many teams that Tech won't manage that on, they're ranked 2nd in S&P+'s offensive ratings and I doubt they drop out of the top 10 this year - and we made enough big plays on 3rd and 4th down to make a lot of those yards come up empty. I thought the front seven did quite well, too. Bottled up what had quietly been a pretty good rushing attack and got tons of penetration on a good offensive line. Mahomes was running for his life a lot during that game, and while he's a good enough player that he could make some things happen a lot of the time we got him running, we were also able to force him into a lot of bad throws.

Overall, I'm not crowning them Big 12 champs yet, but it's an encouraging start. Got a bye week (I mean Kansas (I mean a bye week)) to get ready for WVU.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

You know, I was able to conceivably write off almost any loss Nebraska was going to have this year. Except Illinois, loving Illinois.... when we had them beat for almost the entire loving game. Nebraska could possibly go winless in conference play and we'll be lucky to be bowl eligible this year. Or perhaps we'll get our poo poo together and end up in the big championship because lol big west.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

So Baylor won its fifth straight BUTT bowl 63-35 while basically just sitting on Texas Tech for the duration of the second half, and I really don't have a ton to complain about. The offense was stupidly good (admittedly against a bad defense) and as balanced as Baylor loves to be. Russell only had to throw 20 passes or so, the run game was just stupidly effective all day. Shock Linwood was maybe as good as I've seen him, had over 200 yards and a career-long 73 yarder to kick things off early, which is the longest run Baylor's seen since Lache Seastrunk was trying for the heisman. The defense was...okay. Orion Stewart had a pretty bad game, Oakman was too quiet, and Grant Campbell missed some easy opportunities on Mahomes, at least one of which let them get a TD on a 3rd or 4th down, but Mahomes didn't seem to be too far below his usual performance and he's the sort of player that's a loving rear end in a top hat to try and defend, especially for a team like Baylor that likes to leave its DBs on islands. Gave up some big passing plays and a lot of yards, but I don't know if there's many teams that Tech won't manage that on, they're ranked 2nd in S&P+'s offensive ratings and I doubt they drop out of the top 10 this year - and we made enough big plays on 3rd and 4th down to make a lot of those yards come up empty. I thought the front seven did quite well, too. Bottled up what had quietly been a pretty good rushing attack and got tons of penetration on a good offensive line. Mahomes was running for his life a lot during that game, and while he's a good enough player that he could make some things happen a lot of the time we got him running, we were also able to force him into a lot of bad throws.

Overall, I'm not crowning them Big 12 champs yet, but it's an encouraging start. Got a bye week (I mean Kansas (I mean a bye week)) to get ready for WVU.

Kansas is going to surprise one team this year and given Baylor being the worst team in the world away and can never do anything or move the ball or even call plays right... I just hope its Texas instead

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

How has civilization not disintegrated in Texas yet?

I thought the Horns being vaporized by TCU would be an unthinkable event on-par with evolution, interracial dating or climate change.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Where is Bo Pelini these days?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

Kansas is going to surprise one team this year and given Baylor being the worst team in the world away and can never do anything or move the ball or even call plays right... I just hope its Texas instead

If Baylor loses to loving Kansas I might swear off of the sport forever. This KU squad might be worse than Lamar.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I gotta pump the breaks a little, but the Mountain West is so down that UNLV might be able to go to a bowl game. The key is if QB Blake Decker isn't out for an extended period of time.

If things go right then a new on/near campus stadium becomes way more likely.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DOOP posted:

Youngstown State. They're 3-1 with a loss to Pitt.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

DOOP posted:

At the moment he's sporting a 3-1 record at Youngstown State.

e:f,b

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also - the BUTT bowl wasn't nearly as chippy this year as it has been in the past few, which I appreciated. Weren't any targeting calls, no knees to the face, no real cheap shots on QBs, don't appear to have been any serious injuries - felt like the past 4 have all had some combination of those, so it was nice to get away from that. There was that one rando in a red bandito mask who told me to go gently caress myself while I was on my way for a nice halftime piss, but I think he might just have been drunk, so I'll let it slide.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Basil Hayden posted:

At the moment he's sporting a 3-1 record at Youngstown State.

e:f,b

yeah but he yelled a lot

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

How has civilization not disintegrated in Texas yet?

I thought the Horns being vaporized by TCU would be an unthinkable event on-par with evolution, interracial dating or climate change.

because we're not the awful fans everyone projects on us?

idk, I totally get the immense pleasure everyone besides the longhorns is experiencing with the season so far, but for most fans I know it's simply worse than the bad season everyone braced for.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Louisiana-Monroe quarterback Daniel Fitzwater died at the age of 20, no reason is known/given at this time. I feel awful for his family, parents aren't supposed to put their kids in the grave :smith:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Chump Farts posted:

i just dont know what type of team we are or what michigan is

michigan always looks good and then can still end up falling down against tough opponents

that said, msu can barely stumble through winning against bad teams

at least we are bowl eligible if we beat a lovely rutgers team!

How hurt does Sparty make you feel when your reaction to be ranked third in the nation is "we'll be bowl eligible if we beat Rutgers!"

eeeeeeeeeee

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Quandary posted:

It's officially Texas Hate Week and so even though Texas is super bad this year, the point still stands that gently caress Texas Forever And Ever Amen

the last time we were playing this horribly you promptly lost to Case loving McCoy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

All the points will be scored in Salt Lake next week.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Big XII refs, everybody.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

How hurt does Sparty make you feel when your reaction to be ranked third in the nation is "we'll be bowl eligible if we beat Rutgers!"

eeeeeeeeeee

after 2012 i will never take being bowl eligible for granted

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Northwestern is already hyping up their inevitable Rose Bowl appearance this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG4Ck_bOhaA

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

K-State is getting a letter for that one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

now k-state knows what its like to be playing them!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

go3 posted:

It's K-State, not Texas (Or Kansas come basketball season)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can't the Big XII just fire all their refs and borrow some from like, the MAC or something?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

New S&P+ rankings hit and even Bill Connelly isn't quite sure what the gently caress. A sample: Arkansas at 17th over Texas Tech at 27th over both TCU and Baylor at 36th and 39th. Kind of fascinating, since most other computer rankings I've seen, like FEI, like Baylor just fine at #3 and TCU around that same range.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

go3 posted:

Also, KSU gets away with less mockery because they're alleging incompetence rather than racist conspiracy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

New S&P+ rankings hit and even Bill Connelly isn't quite sure what the gently caress. A sample: Arkansas at 17th over Texas Tech at 27th over both TCU and Baylor at 36th and 39th. Kind of fascinating, since most other computer rankings I've seen, like FEI, like Baylor just fine at #3 and TCU around that same range.

good model, minnesota is ranked over northwestern

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

good model, minnesota is ranked over northwestern

And TCU.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SOS seems to be a big part of it. TCU and Baylor's SOS rankings to date are absolutely woeful (which I don't entirely get since TCU's played a Minnesota and a Texas Tech team that the formula really likes), and they've both been held back by poor early defense, though Connelly recently mentioned that he doesn't think either team is as bad on defense as his model is alleging.

Moon Polls are fun.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A&M's offense stalled out a few times in the second half against MSU (having speedy noil hurt and RSJ ejected definitely hurt), which would have led to us losing the lead last season. Last night the defense got stops and limited big plays and it was glorious. Myles Garret is the truth and the defense did a good job forcing fumbles to kill drives.

The offense needs to work on converting 3rd and shorts and not settling for field goals in the red zone. It's happened against Arkansas and Miss St now and we have to convert to have a chance against Bama or LSU.

Please score points on Bama.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Fournette is a monster. Who are the top running backs behind him this year?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Spiritus Nox posted:

UNLV in the top 100, I'll take it!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

S&P+ loves loves loves loves loves loves Arkansas and has since last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Louisville is #13 in S&P. Penn State is #20. How do you publish that without thinking that the algorithms may not be up to par

• Locked thread