Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry y'all, still ended up feeling like garbage.

Glad you went ahead with things! Good job making the menagerie bigger :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
So just to make it absolutely clear:

My final departure mid-session last Thursday evening was not a system issue, but a deliberate quit. This game has been edging further and further into the zone of "let's get into clumsy unnecessary fights because they will always be an ECL+0 at worst and the plot will follow along on a string", and it's starting to piss me off.

I will be taking next week off. I will decide around that time whether I am leaving for good. If everyone else is happy with the tone of the game as it currently stands, please say so now as it will make my decision much easier and stop wasting everyone's time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bacon, I'm sorry to hear you're dissatisfied with the game. To your points:

1. I'll be the first the admit that the way I've handled the module has been a mess, probably even worse than just running Shadowfell straight. It's gone off the rails quickly and if the group has kept blundering into the next plot point, it's because I've not been that good at adapting it on the fly. I'm hoping to get to a narrative end to this module by next week, just so we can switch gears into a more open-ended format that hopefully will jive better, but I'm also willing to do a larger retcon/reset to get out of the morass faster. I'm open to ideas.

2. As for the difficulty, I can escalate. I acknowledge that I've been running the encounters mostly by the book, but only because I don't downscale to adapt to people dropping out, and the monsters are supposed to be doing more damage than usual. If it's still too easy, I can play more viciously and/or with harder monsters.

For what it's worth, once it became clear to me that the group was going to explore every room of the first floor, I decided not to make any more combat encounters because I figured they wouldn't really mean anything in the larger scope of the plot.

Thank you for your feedback.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just to set expectations, I mostly play 4e for the tactical combat, and the adventure itself is going to be heavy on the combat. I'm pretty open to creative ways to approaching encounters, but the encounters themselves are pretty much always going to be there, it's just a matter of which one you want to do first and how you'll try to gain some additional leverage.

You know what you signed up for. :shrug:

I'm getting exactly what I want out of the game; socialization and tactical fights. I'd be happy with this even if the veneer of plot wasn't there and this was just a dungeon crawl/arena style combat game used to test out encounters. The plot being present just makes it easier to joke around with my character which is just a bonus.

e:^ I wouldn't mind harder fights sure, but I'm fine doing what we're doing. We're offered a chance at the end of every session to voice our opinions and no one has done so, none of this is on the DM.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 16, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Haha nah it wasn't clear at all that anyone was disappointed with the game, just that everyone was zonked, zombified, tired as gently caress. But yeah with advance notice I can be a little less drunk and goofy and a little more tactical and in-character and stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Game is on for tonight, folks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Level up to 6

2. Let me know your ideas as to where you want to go. Some rough ideas:

- explore the Shadowfell further, maybe secure a new resource/facility for the Umbraforge. Fight undead and other monstrosities!
- secure your hold over the Umbraforge by bringing the other factions in line. Think Gangs of New York or The Warriors
- use the Umbraforge's portals to explore Athas and start some poo poo with the Sorcerer-Kings
- use the Umbraforge's portals to do your regular mercenary thing
- use the Umbraforge's portals to explore [some other locale that you think would be cool], such as heading to exotic locations to find more pets for the menagerie

3. New houserule: you can spend multiple action points per encounter

4. You can remodel your character any which way, if you like, just let me know

5. I still owe y'all loot, will post later. Let me know of at least one wishlist item if you have something in mind.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

A couple of things. First, I'm planning on rebuilding Balasar to be a different Leader class. Currently leaning Bard, but not 100% set yet. I'm finally understanding the complaints people had about the PP classes not really having variety (namely that all of my non-utility encounter powers are just slightly bigger versions of my at-wills).

Second, I mentioned having your macros ask you for any bonuses/penalties as you roll. So let me give you an example of part of one of my current macros:
code:
Attack vs AC: [[1d20+11+?{Modifier|0}]]
Damage: [[1d10+5+?{Damage Modifier|0}]]
You'll note two bits there: ?{Modifier|0} and ?{Damage Modifier|0}. Roll20 interprets ?{SOMETHING} as a request for input from the user. So adding in ?{Modifier} would pop up a box with the text "Modifier" and a blank text box, and it will use the entered value anywhere you have ?{Modifier} in your macro (that's why I use two differently named ones). The "|0" tells it to default the text box to 0 instead of blank, so I can just click okay immediately if there's no modifier to add, otherwise you'd have to manually enter 0.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hooray macros!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Clara is up to date

Claiming the Baldric of Tactical Positioning officially.

Changing out my Level 5 Daily for Light of Truth which lets me inflict 1d10+wis and 10 save ends radiant damage with the kicker that the target takes a penalty to any saves equal to the number of my allies adjacent to it until the ongoing damage ends.

Menacing presence wasn't really doing it for me and we're all up close enough that the penalty to saves should see some use. The change will also let me actually use the item power of my implement to inflict another 5 ongoing fire and radiant(making them a different damage type than the flat radiant damage of the attack which lets them stack.)

Picking up Soul Seeker as my level 6 utility it lets me summon a minor sustain conjuration that I can use as a flanking buddy for the party. If I kill my oath target while they're next to the thing I get to reassign it for free. The big kicker is that I heal actual health every time I kill anything next to it giving me a nice boost to my ability to lone wolf it up. :v:

Picking up Battle Awareness as my feat this level just to make me a bit stickier, it gives me the ability to make an OA against an enemy adjacent to me that shifts or makes an attack that doesn't include me once per encounter. It also grants me a skill which I used to pick up endurance for fun.

Location-wise as much as I grumble about Clara not wanting to be in the shadowfell, I am perfectly fine with being in the shadowfell :v:. Fighting undead is kind of my jam and I don't mind going around and shoving people into their place. The lure of going to Athas while in possession of a very large amount of metal weaponry for selling is very tempting though. :black101:

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what to do with Myna's level 6 utility + feat, so no update there yet.

For what we want to do though, I'm kind of enchanted by the idea of enforcing and expanding our hold over the Umbraforge/Shadowfell, officially taking us from MurderHobos to MurderLandlords :v:

e: and maybe after that starting some poo poo with the Sorcerer-Kings. Myna lives to start poo poo, let's be honest

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Since everyone else is saying their build stuff, Li's new utility is Run Rampant, an encounter minor action saving throw (or check)with +Str (5) against basically any movement affecting condition: grabbed, immobilized, restrained, or slowed. For a feat, I managed to find one that increases defenses: Deva Heritage, which gives a daily inverse Myra stance: -2 to attacks against you until you're bloodied. Also you shed 6 squares of bright light, for all the non darkvision people in the party.

For a wishlist item, all I really got is a Symbol of Hope–a mere level 3 item. I'll never actually use it to hit things, just for its daily, which lets me use my reaction when I or someone w/in 5 squares of me gets hit by a save ends effect. They get to roll a save right then, and get a +5 power bonus to saves against that effect. Basically we aren't I'm not getting cc'd ever again if I can help it. Except for stunning I guess--the most dickish of status effects.

Also maybe some Meliorating Armor: it's the OP one that increases its enhancement bonus by 1 for every milestone you reach, until after an extended rest. Since everyone seems to save all their dailies all the time anyway, and the choo choo train rarely stops, by the time we get to the hard boss encounter maybe Li will actually be tanky.

As for where we should go: gently caress Athas. No metal means no gold, so whatever we actually get for crashing the economy will also only be worth anything in Athas. Which has no metal, so no cool weapons or armor for basically anyone in the party.

Let's go beat up some undead. They're not only things that can protect whatever they're buried with, they also kill all the tomb raiders and grave robbers that come at them and basically steal their stuff too. They probably won't be stupid enough to let us walk up and cutscene kill them, but whatever.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I might rebuild Clara as a ranger, her power set is a little too focused on her using the same power again and again(lol ranger whoops), and her daily and encounter powers are so insanely situational that I end up hardly ever using them.

We're also are pretty sorely lacking in the ranged department leading to things like a pack of gnolls on the stairs slapping us around while we deal with their melee department :v:.

e: If I end up respeccing I'll leave the baldric of tactical positioning on the table, it'd actually be useful to our melee people.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 23, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I'm making backup characters!! Right now I have a Swordmage|Wizard, and an Invoker|Cleric. They both have really annoying AOEs!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Location-wise as much as I grumble about Clara not wanting to be in the shadowfell, I am perfectly fine with being in the shadowfell :v:. Fighting undead is kind of my jam and I don't mind going around and shoving people into their place. The lure of going to Athas while in possession of a very large amount of metal weaponry for selling is very tempting though. :black101:

slydingdoor posted:

Let's go beat up some undead. They're not only things that can protect whatever they're buried with, they also kill all the tomb raiders and grave robbers that come at them and basically steal their stuff too. They probably won't be stupid enough to let us walk up and cutscene kill them, but whatever.

Chic Trombone posted:

For what we want to do though, I'm kind of enchanted by the idea of enforcing and expanding our hold over the Umbraforge/Shadowfell, officially taking us from MurderHobos to MurderLandlords :v:
This is good feedback, thanks! We don't have to completely decide in the thread, but would be good to narrow it down to a few possibilities. I'll work on prepping something Undeady.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Didn't someone mention such and such busted Rituals? One of my backup characters can get the ability to use those.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To help everyone with their planning, here's the first bit of loot.

Everyone take 2 700 GP each

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Backup character can buy basically every ritual with that.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Vicious shortsword was sold it's been in the party inventory for too long.

Sold Myna's dwarven chain mail on her behalf and added the coinage to her on the cheat sheet.

I'm hoping the group as a whole can pony up some gold to get Adar Comrades' Succor. The ritual allows us to swap around our healing surges at the cost of 10gp. Ritual itself costs 150gp to buy.

Baldric of Tactical Re-positioning is on the table for someone to claim, Myna would probably benefit from this and it'd allow her to set up a flanking buddy for either herself or someone adjacent to her target as a minor action.

Ranger Clara is now online.

Powers
At-Wills
Nimble Strike- Shift and attack.
Twin Strike- Two tiny attacks, two chances to crit!

Encounters
Two-Fanged Strike- Two attacks with bonus damage if they both hit.
Disruptive Strike- Interrupt attack that inflicts a negative 6 to the triggering attack.
Death Threat- Lets me reassign my hunter's quarry for free when I murder a dude. In addition to giving me combat advantage against the target.

Daily
Sure Shot- Damaging attack that lets me reroll the attack and any of the damage dice once.
Stalker's Mist- Create an encounter long heavily obscured zone(only for the enemies) that I can move around.
Splintering Shot- Heavy damage and an encounter long -2 to attack rolls on the target.

Items
Swaps
Robe of Eyes(level 2) is swapped for Acrobat's Boots (Level 2)
Badge of the Berserker(Level 2) is swapped for Eagle Eye Goggles(Level 2)
Vanguard Execution Axe(Level 3) swapped for Delver's Hide (Level 3)
Guardian's Whistle (Level 4) swapped for Gauntlets of Blood (Level 4)
Icon of the Silver Flame (Level 4) swapped for Bracers of the Perfect Shot(Level 3)
Iron Armbands of Power (Level 6) swapped for Longbow of Speed(Level 5)

Carry over items
Thieves' Tools
Gray Rain Cloak
Potion of Spectral Form
Listening Cone
Grappling Hook+Rope
Flotation Bladder
Investigation Gear

Purchased Items
Firestorm Arrow +1 x5 150gp
Freezing Arrow +1 x5 150gp
Lightning Arrow +1 x1 150gp
Reaving Arrow +2 x2 250gp
Firestorm Arrow +2 x2 250gp
Amulet of Resolution +1 520gp
Power Jewel 1000gp
Belt of Vigor 520gp

Remaining Gold 61.47 gp

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I can also pick up disenchant and transfer and create magic items, so we don't have to always sell cheaply.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VlNFX2lrLxbmNSNFNZcHdzUkU

Here's the guy. I haven't figured out what his equipment rituals and component costs or how much of that is part of of chargen. His specialty is exploding many things, slowing them, having combat advantage against them all the time, doing a little healing and buffing and such, and being kind of hard to hit despite his role and lovely HP. He worships some evil BDSM god I don't know the details.

e; apparently he's the underdark god of torture and suffering and such. I didn't have a choice because there are like no gods with the right domain (earth) that lets this character be really annoying. The other choices were boring Chauntea and some red pill orc goddess favoring subservient female orcs. Gross.

e2; actually eff that I'll go the crazy oozegod: ghaundaur.

I can also spec him into the AOE proning man, if the rest of you want to get stuff like Headsman's Chop and Grounded Shot.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 25, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

On second thought. We're getting a bard, who should have rituals covered, and controllery things. I've always wanted to play a fighter and am addicted to hybrids and gods and stuff, so I idk remade Li to be more of a defender and less of a glass cannon.

Also the character is less evil this way. Not evil.

Drive

orokos

cute version

epic versions

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 12, 2016

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
So since it appears the other players want to continue taking the game sessions in a direction I was not that comfortable with, I think I will bow out now permanently. Good luck to you all.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So I'm still fiddling around with Bardasar. I'm mostly done, just working on gear and rituals. I've never really worked with rituals before so I don't know what ones I should be looking out for.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Balasar's new sheet.

Summary of his abilities:
Class abilities
Virtue of Cunning: If you're within 9 (5+Int+Tactician's Mail) squares of me and get missed by an attack, I can slide you 1 (1/rd)
Song of Rest: If you spend healing surges to heal during a short rest you add 4 (Cha) to the amount healed per surge

At-Wills
Staggering Note: Minor damage, push, and free MBA from an ally.
Vicious Mockery: Damage and a penalty to attack rolls.

Encounters
Dragonfear: You all know this one already.
Majestic Word: Healing surge +1d6+5 (Cha + Healer's Brooch) at this level.
Words of Friendship: +5 to next Diplomacy check
Hypnotism: Slide target, or it makes a MBA with a +4 against target of my choice. From Wizard Multiclass.
Blunder: Bigger version of Staggering Note.
Impelling Force: Big slide that must end the target next to one of my allies.
Moment of Escape: Slide an ally 4 squares.
Revitalizing Incantation: Target can spend a healing surge +1 (Healer's Brooch) and gains THP equal to their surge value.

Dailies
Stirring Shout: Allies that hit the target regain 5 (Cha + Healer's Brooch) HP.
Compulsion: On a hit repeatedly slide the target (save ends). On a miss, slide the target once.

Items
Swaps
Manifester Greatspear +1 (Level 2) to Belt of Vigor (Level 2)
Verve Scale Armor +1 (Level 4) to Healer's Brooch +1 (Level 4)
Skull Mask (Level 5) to Tactician's Ring Mail +1 (Level 5)

Keeps
Couters of Second Chances (Level 5)
Boots of Rapid Motion (Level 5)
Various mundane items

Purchases
Accurate Staff of Sleep and Charm +1 (Level 3)
Power Jewel (Level 5)
Fochlucan Bandore +1 (Level 3)
Various rituals and components

Remaining gold: 34 gp, 7 sp, 7 cp

senrath fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 29, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I am being called in to work super-early tomorrow so I won't be able to run the game. So if you guys need more time to hash out your characters, feel free.

Sorry about that - I think after this week my schedule should be a lot more stable though, maybe we look into a "make-up" session or something.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

That's fine by me, gives me more time to make 50 builds and try to choose between them!

e; 50th times the charm!

Edis "Edie" Kt'fisto\

Swordmage|Cleric, for all your tanking and buffing needs. Basically a space alien come to see if all these places are ripe for planar harvesting or worth preserving.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VlNFX2lrLxa1ZoWFBFZlV5VHc

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7837

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 28, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Almost forgot but we should be good for a game tonight.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
I got caught up in work and can't make tonight's session. :(

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I don't have PM so let me know if this isn't the right place to ask:

I've been looking for a more proper 4e group for a few years now and this thread looks like my best candidate in a long while. I'm not picky about class/role so I shouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes in regard to combat space. If you guys have need of another player, I'm ready and raring to go.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Sinistral posted:

I got caught up in work and can't make tonight's session. :(

Gonna have to flake tonight too :(, my grandma is back in the hospital and I'm the only family member in town at the moment who's been able to head in there and deal with her.

I'm just absolutely drained from dealing with her (we do not have a good relationship at all and I wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been requested of me by my folks) and I'm in a rancorous mood. I can't imagine me snapping at people and being in an overall bitter mood for a few hours would be fun for anyone.

If we can find a day to do a make up game that works for everyone I'd be open to playing one and I'm available all this upcoming week. it'd be nice to get the new ball rolling, but if people are busy that's understandable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. I houseruled giving Myna the ability to buy Portable Doors: 15 gp apiece, and it lets her instantly deploy a door in any situation that normally would not have one. The doors are made of wood.

2. Please let me know if y'all are available to play on Wed night, May 11, 9 PM EST so we can do a "catch-up" thing. If not, we'll just have our regularly scheduled session on Thu, May 12

RyuHimora posted:

I don't have PM so let me know if this isn't the right place to ask:

I've been looking for a more proper 4e group for a few years now and this thread looks like my best candidate in a long while. I'm not picky about class/role so I shouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes in regard to combat space. If you guys have need of another player, I'm ready and raring to go.

Yeah, okay, go ahead and make a character and show up for the next session (including the note I posted above if you're available), and let's see what happens.

The OP should have the chargen details, but also start at level 6 and start with 3000 GP instead of 100 GP.

Post if you have any questions and with your completed character. If you don't have PMs you can also reach me at gradenko2000 <at> gmail, but posting in this thread is also fine.

Backstory fodder: how did your character end up in an armed mercenary camp in the middle of the Shadowfell? What's their personal goal?

FYI, the current party is composed of a Warlord, a Bard, a Druid, a Ranger, and a Swordmage/Cleric

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
So that's 3000 GP instead of the standard magic items?

e: That date and time works for me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RyuHimora posted:

So that's 3000 GP instead of the standard magic items?

What I mean is, buy any magic items usable for your level with the 3000 GP, if that helps.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

buy any magic items usable for your level with the 3000 GP

Yeah, that's what I wanted to know; the DMG details how to give magic items to characters created above level 1, which Inherent Bonuses are supposed to be in place of, but my experience is that it's a crapshoot whether or not the DM heeds the 'instead of' part. Thanks!

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Timm, the Human Wizard is sick of having to bunk with these smelly mercenaries and is ready to get out of this drat camp: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxMBEw0CHjaLLUxPZjl5LVhXS2s

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

We still on for tonight?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I'm ready and waiting.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I'm still up for it. And I won't be as tired as I thought, since the game I normally have before hand didn't happen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah I'll play. I thought the game was now for some reason.

Probably just gonna be Li again. I reworked the build to be a little tankier and do a little more damage. All that's otherwise different is -1 speed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5VlNFX2lrLxZk1nTTFjNU5JWWs/view?usp=sharing

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7838

• Locked thread