Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Fair enough.

I think dropping artillery along Route 23 will be sufficient to delay that movement. If you have spare resources I would look at devoting them further south - the more we can delay them moving into the western hill country, the more time we can get set up there.

When we actually get everyone moving out we can talk about what 1st Coy will actually do when it gets to the target zone. Setting up an ambush covering the south-west portion of Ravaged Path is of course a priority, but I am counting on good Recon work to determine how aggressive they should be. This is not terrain you want to be attacking in to, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel"
BTR1 with 3/1/1 Inf and 3/1 HQ
BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf

Deploy next to roads as not to hinder traffic, let other parts of the battle group pass first.

Try to keep the eager troops to keep to this company schedule if possible:
3HQ
3/3
3 Armoured
3/1 <-
3/2
When on the turn have about 20 seconds between each vehicle.

Move the BTR1 (red) with loaded 3/1/1 Inf and 3/1 HQ into the town, park next to the house and deploy, keep BTR behind the house concealed.
Move HQ into the 1/1 double house. Face SE
Move 3/1/1 Inf into the house. Face S

Move the BTR2 (orange) along the roads and deploy in the woods, keep the BTR a bit away from the infantry which take the front. Face SE

Move the BTR3 (dark red) along the roads and deploy in the woods, keep the BTR a bit away from the infantry which take the front. Face S

Company pals any objections or ideas?

edit:
bolded the added commands, 05/Oct

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 5, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Do we have an orders spreadsheet up? We will need that.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Do we have an orders spreadsheet up? We will need that.

It's the second page of the spreadsheet that you linked earlier.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Hey Davin, what do you think of this slight alteration to the plan?

The whole point of this is to try and deny them the use of their roads. If we target the Fiery Path and Route 23 like this, they either have to thread the need between Geodude Draw and our bombardment of Route 23, or go over one of the wooded draws in the south. If they were planning to use Route 23 they either have to wait or try to navigate their way through backyards of the village first.

Or charge straight through, but that's a long corridor of firepower to try and run a large group through.

Thoughts and concerns?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Their vehicles should be at least as good as offroading as ours, if not more. This fire plan leaves a big gap of farmland totally unmolested. In fact, if anything, I'd change the Route 23 fire mission to an area attack.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

--AGS-17s, and Igla HQ and 3 Iglas, are hereby chopped to 2nd Company to deploy as they see fit

Just noticed this, I'll edit my orders accordingly.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

I think if arty lands as soon as possible, we can at least draw if not win a "race" to set up our ATGMs. If we try to get cute and time for hits, I absolutely guarantee they'll have tanks set up along Victory Road and shooting at us as we get into position. We aren't the US--arty is a mass suppression and area denial tool first, cute tank destroyer second. Come to think of it, I can add an extra 120mm barrage running parallel to and just south of Victory road for an extra bit of denial, if you'd like.
I agree with your overall point of view; the point should't be about "timing to get kills." But there are other valid uses for artillery than area denial, and while our ammo quantities are significant, they are far from endless. As illustrated by the Americans in the last game, artillery can also be used as a way prevent enemies from establishing effective bases of fire by forcing them to keep moving. And we also have a town to assault at some point.

I'm just concerned that the artillery as planned will come too soon, not last long enough, or be too intermittent to accomplish its tactical objective. If they try (and succeed) to get significant forces up to the crossroads before 5 minutes is up, I'll eat my hat.

I think a smoke mission across the field from the crossroads could accomplish the task of screening 3 coy's deployment and would be a superior allocation of resources.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

abelian posted:

I think a smoke mission across the field from the crossroads could accomplish the task of screening 3 coy's deployment and would be a superior allocation of resources.

The grey line is supposed to be a preplanned smoke mission from the mortars. It's a little kinked because I also wanted to screen Mount Silver a bit.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Executive decision time, the artillery be used to deny enemy the use of their best paths north-west to grant our own forces as long as possible to set up in the north. The very presence of our artillery barrage may make them abandon their routes and disrupt their advance enough that I feel the ammunition expenditure will be worth it.

However Davin I think your point about area targets is well made. Please look in the roll20 for my ideas - instead of a long linear barrage a more focused area barrage at the edge of the village and the area between Arbok and Geodude Draws will force them to either wait, risk a dash through 152 fire, or take a trip through some steep woodlands with no clear paths like the ones we have.

I also approve the smoke screen mission - although that one may well need to be on a delayed timer. I don't know how long a smoke screen will last in the rain, although maybe these non-WWII smoke screens will be more stable. Don't want to lay a smokescreen that will have dissipated by the time it would become relevant.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

1/2 Orders

Deployment
Transports three-in-a-line, platoon command in third transport.

Movement
- Pause 30s60s, then travel QUICK along the path depicted
- Travel MOVE across the ford
- Travel QUICK up to the road

How does this look? :ohdear:

E: modified the delays
E2: Updated as per commander's orders
E3: MODIFIED THE DELAYS AGAIN

Hubis fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 6, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

Executive decision time, the artillery be used to deny enemy the use of their best paths north-west to grant our own forces as long as possible to set up in the north. The very presence of our artillery barrage may make them abandon their routes and disrupt their advance enough that I feel the ammunition expenditure will be worth it.

However Davin I think your point about area targets is well made. Please look in the roll20 for my ideas - instead of a long linear barrage a more focused area barrage at the edge of the village and the area between Arbok and Geodude Draws will force them to either wait, risk a dash through 152 fire, or take a trip through some steep woodlands with no clear paths like the ones we have.

I also approve the smoke screen mission - although that one may well need to be on a delayed timer. I don't know how long a smoke screen will last in the rain, although maybe these non-WWII smoke screens will be more stable. Don't want to lay a smokescreen that will have dissipated by the time it would become relevant.

We have a couple days yet before orders are due, so I'd at least request that you let me at least test out how the barrage order plays out before we finalize things.

Regarding the smoke, keep in mind that this smoke will not block IR, so US vehicles and ATGMs will be able to see through it (but probably not UKR).

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Oh did GI say that was alright? Ok, cool, let me know.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

1st Company Armour Platoon

Text Orders:

Deploy in the yellow box as shown below and then Wait One minute and thirty seconds and then advance Quick following the drawn lines on the map below.

Map Orders:

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 5, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

koolkevz666 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WpgNHMR.png

1st Company Armour Platoon

Text Orders:

Deploy in the yellow box as shown below and then Wait One minute and then advance Quick following the drawn lines on the map below.

Map Orders:

I reduced my delay to 30s so we should be OK, but make sure you don't run into 1st platoon

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is 3 coy. Weapons and Armor still empty??

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016
No, not any longer for 3/5

Though still missing the same for 2 coy.

Also, how are weapons platoons being handled?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, they're company level assets, so probably either Phi deploys them himself or delegates them. (Not to me, I have enough to handle right now!)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was assuming somebody was gonna take the Weapons Company. If not I'll order them myself tomorrow.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You didn't cut this down, did you? I opened it up and the page for the download mentioned it was a master map similar to Market Garden in which the whole thing wasn't intended to be played at once.

itrunssofuckingbad and I have no units on map yet.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You didn't cut this down, did you? I opened it up and the page for the download mentioned it was a master map similar to Market Garden in which the whole thing wasn't intended to be played at once.

itrunssofuckingbad and I have no units on map yet.

Nope I have made a Poor Decision and I'm running with the entire thing since it was the biggest map I could find. The last game Grey Hunter ran was on a stock 'huge' map and with the way that ended I was kinda traumatized.

I managed to run the scenario for enough turns that all the units arrive on the map and it's a bit choppy, but stable with everything turned down.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
3rd Coy has been assigned 2 Iglas teams I recommend you have them deployed at the start, to cover our initial advance.

2nd Coy can deploy theirs once they arrive around Victory Road, and we can leap-frog a bit if necessary to keep our coverage over our forces.

I've started moving random units on Roll20 - putting the mortars in the back of the deployment zone along the road, and putting the engineers behind 1st Coy. Just trying to keep track of all the various bits and bobs we have floating around.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Just added tables to the roster sheet to track what support assets have been attached to the companies.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Deploy as located in order of 3/1, 3/2, 3/3. HQ should be in the trailing vehicle with 3rd Squad.

Initial orders should be to move Quick down the main road 'til north of Viridian City, at which point they should move south into the city before going between the houses to go into the field. Squads should dismount and take up positions in front of the BTRs Facing as indicated. This way if some random long shot ATGM or tank shell should hit the BTRs the infantry should be relatively safe.

You'll have to use your best judgement for pathing as far as how many or how few waypoints get added. Same with the pause orders. You're driving, not me, so I can't push either pedal down.

e: Station the Iglas behind houses near the last bend in the path. I want to keep them absolutely covered from any possible attacks since they're valuable.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 5, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I signed on for a tank but managed to miss the sheet, so that's sorted out.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Somewhere in the last page Phi allocated you a couple of Iglas from battalion. Enjoy!

e: here

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Recon Platoon

Deploy with infantry mounted in a column with the commander at the rear. Follow the path Quick with each BTR's path ending at the designated location. Stagger the BTR movements so that there's a 5 second gap between each of them moving. At the final location, the northern commanding BTR should hide to the west of any building with east-facing windows while the squad dismounts and goes inside. The southern two BTRs should dismount and disperse at least 15m away from the BTR once they are stopped.

I'm trying to get into a few good reverse slope positions to spy on the NATO forces, while keeping an eye on the canyons. Don't think the BTRs will get that far in 5 minutes, but we'll see!

Decoy Badger fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 4, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Somewhere in the last page Phi allocated you a couple of Iglas from battalion. Enjoy!

e: here

ohoops

I'll update tomorrow then.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Plot of the move orders so far:

Fat lines are where more than one platoon uses the same route.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Is there any other viable path south through the Flo Rida Swamps besides that one chokepoint?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Decoy Badger posted:

Is there any other viable path south through the Flo Rida Swamps besides that one chokepoint?

There is an alternate path but it's rough terrain so slow and pathing is sorta random and unexpected. I would use it outright but I fear getting stuff stuck. Still, some 1st Company platoons have it as an alternate route if the main one is problematic.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

There is an alternate path but it's rough terrain so slow and pathing is sorta random and unexpected. I would use it outright but I fear getting stuff stuck. Still, some 1st Company platoons have it as an alternate route if the main one is problematic.

I had also questioned whether our ostensibly amphibious BTRs could ford the swamp outright, but was led to believe they'd end up bogged down and thus totally stuck. If anyone is able to confirm (or test this out themselves) that would be a great data point as well.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

I had also questioned whether our ostensibly amphibious BTRs could ford the swamp outright, but was led to believe they'd end up bogged down and thus totally stuck. If anyone is able to confirm (or test this out themselves) that would be a great data point as well.

very high possibility either the truck will actually bog down or the AI will gently caress it up and bog it down

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

--AGS-17s, and Igla HQ and 3 Iglas, are hereby chopped to 2nd Company to deploy as they see fit

--AT-14s and 2 Iglas are hereby chopped to 3rd Company to deploy as they see fit

Can I get some clarification on this? Who gets how many Iglas?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh bollocks, I thought we had 5 iglas. Okay, 2nd company gets the HQ and 2 Iglas. Sorry about that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Wait, where's 2nd company's tanks even ordered to go?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh bollocks, I thought we had 5 iglas. Okay, 2nd company gets the HQ and 2 Iglas. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Gamerofthegame posted:

They're currently assigned to Yooper's 1st Platoon. He's got orders for them here.

~24 hours left. I need orders from Fuligin and NastyToes. If either of you guys need to make a map, I've got a separate 2nd Company page set up in Roll20 with unit markers for you. Feel free to move Yooper's and my units out of the way if you need to.

dublish fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 4, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Hubis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGwmI6RDQI

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yup, I got em going hull down on the reverse slope on Victory Road. If we've got a spare dude who wants them I've got no issue handing them over.

As long as I'm bribed with vodka and Adidas wind pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orders for 2/2 Inf and 4/2 Weap

Deploy in column with embarked ATGM and Machinegun squads in front, followed by Infantry 1 2 and 3. Wait for Battalian Recon to get underway and then follow quick at 10 sec intervals. Wait at the crossing if 1st company is still crossing. Disembark squads at BTR positions and move squads to indicated positions with rough firing arcs facing is what I wanted here. Oh, and respective headquarters in ATGM BTR and Inf 3 BTR

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 5, 2016

• Locked thread