Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Jerry Cotton posted:

All these arts look like 80s microcomputer programming book covers. Just slap "COMAL for the ZX81" on there and Bob is you are uncle.

Funny you should say that: here's a page from a book I have from my primary school days. That ship fits right in with this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Funny you should say that: here's a page from a book I have from my primary school days. That ship fits right in with this thread

My sister had this and I had loving Walt Disney Teaches You poo poo About BASIC *Goofy Holler*. But now I have both.

e: That had the space colony game didn't it? I played it a lot.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

It's got a couple of space colony themed games actually. One about running a mine and one which is a rescue mission.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I've got all the Terran Trade Authority books. They're pretty sweet but there's so much stuff in them I can't upload it all. Anyone got any requests?

The Space Wars book on the right is different, but it's a similar series.

A couple of album covers:

ELP - Tarkus

And its gatefold

The Sword - Warp Riders

I have spacewrecks, spacecraft and great space battles but not starliners or the other one, does it also have short stories with the paintings? Either way I'd like to see some from either! I always loved the world building. loving Proxima Centaurans!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

http://coolvibe.com/digital-art/scifi/ has alot of stuff you peeps might like!

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

The Sword - Warp Riders

Beep boop good sci fi art album covers from good bands incoming (also the sword are awesome)

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

I have spacewrecks, spacecraft and great space battles but not starliners or the other one, does it also have short stories with the paintings? Either way I'd like to see some from either! I always loved the world building. loving Proxima Centaurans!

Yep, both have stories to go with the paintings. Starliners is the same universe as the other TTA books, but Space Wars isn't. Similar concept though.
Apologies for the lovely photos, my scanner isn't big enough to scan two pages at once.

Starliners:

Space Wars:

Isn't that painting something to do with Starship Troopers?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yep, both have stories to go with the paintings. Starliners is the same universe as the other TTA books, but Space Wars isn't. Similar concept though.
Apologies for the lovely photos, my scanner isn't big enough to scan two pages at once.

Starliners:

Space Wars:

I've read the book with this cover, but I sure as hell can't remember what it was.

Also, I noticed old pulp science fiction publishers really loved sexy covers.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

No Idea,

I have seen it before but a reverse google image search doesn't really give me any more info.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
just whispering "hell yeah" to myself constantly while reading this thread. thank you, i needed this

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Those paintings get reused constantly. I think I've seen that ship from the Forever War from page one on like four different books

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The original Alien concept art is fuckkked

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Romeo Rose???

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

some more moebius

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2017

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Beep boop good sci fi art album covers from good bands incoming (also the sword are awesome)

These are amazing thank you.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

A LOVELY LAD posted:

No Idea,

I have seen it before but a reverse google image search doesn't really give me any more info.

Scaramouche posted:

Those paintings get reused constantly. I think I've seen that ship from the Forever War from page one on like four different books

Makes sense. Thinking back, I probably saw it on the cover of some edition of Starship Troopers or something like that, hence why I asked.

naem
May 29, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stunning lack of Ron Cobb needs to be rectified...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This dude is pretty cool

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

Can someone recommend me good sci fi books similar to the culture novels because I'm starched. I'm reading imperial radch right now and it's pretty good but it's lacking somewhat. This fits the thread because the ancillary X books use the artist from the OP as covers.

I just finished the Revelation Arc series by Alistair Reynolds. Can't recommend it enough for weird long time span slower than FTL travel brit sci fi. The first two books are absolutely fantastic.

Edit: This whole thread is loving great and I love Professor Shark for starting it even more than the PAWG thread.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 2, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Offworld Trading Company is pretty great I should play it again

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm currently reading the latest Expanse novel. I originally caught into them because the cover of the first novel caught my eye:

The rest of them have been similar, but not as great. Here are a couple I found, I don't know if the artist reads the books because the covers don't really line up with anything in the novels.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Polish artist Jakub Rozalski decided to paint a whole bunch of pictures where robots are rounding up a bunch of eastern european peasants.

Here's the rest of them:

http://designyoutrust.com/2016/12/bizarre-paintings-of-mecha-robots-attacking-east-european-peasants-of-the-early-20th-century/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ultrabindu posted:

Polish artist Jakub Rozalski decided to paint a whole bunch of pictures where robots are rounding up a bunch of eastern european peasants.

Here's the rest of them:

http://designyoutrust.com/2016/12/bizarre-paintings-of-mecha-robots-attacking-east-european-peasants-of-the-early-20th-century/

These are for the board game Scythe and it owns.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MC Hawking posted:

I just finished the Revelation Arc series by Alistair Reynolds. Can't recommend it enough for weird long time span slower than FTL travel brit sci fi. The first two books are absolutely fantastic.

Edit: This whole thread is loving great and I love Professor Shark for starting it even more than the PAWG thread.

Thanks man I'll check it out!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those pictures are cool as heck and I'd like to see an alternate WWII movie with them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Boobs, :nws::nws:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

Can someone recommend me good sci fi books similar to the culture novels because I'm starched. I'm reading imperial radch right now and it's pretty good but it's lacking somewhat. This fits the thread because the ancillary X books use the artist from the OP as covers.

Try stuff by Alastair Reynolds. His Revelation Space series deals with a far future where humanity is spread through the galaxy but there isn't FTL travel so each system gets weird but nothing is as weird as the people who travel between the stars. Also he has another separate setting in House of Suns which is about a group of people who travel around the galaxy but they're all clones of one person who share memories.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I love this pic. I first saw it in an art anthology book called 100 years of science fiction illustration. It's apparently a depiction of two brothers who were space miners and who found out about a claim at around the same time, who traveled out there in those big mining machines and fought each other to the mutual death in an effort to get that sweet, sweet space ore. :allears:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

killian eng, love the colors

bonus Star Wars poster by philippe druillet

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Star Wars poster is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU