Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Because I decided I hate my arms I made the Bouchon Lemon Tart with a basic crust.

Pretty happy with the result considering this is the first time I've made a tart, let alone a sabayon to fill one with. Still waiting on it to set in the fridge before I cut into it but the leftovers in the bowl were delicious. Gonna go ice my arms now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What about your arms?

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

They were just shot after ten minutes of constant whisking over the double boiler to make the sabayon since I don't have a hand mixer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That is a beautiful goddamn tart.

I'm right with you on the no-mixer front. Actually a funny story about that: One time I was making this tres leches cake

I've got the eggs in a bowl and I'm beating them with the whisk and I'm going at it with what feels like all my strength, for forever and nothing is happening.

Eventually, I'm sitting cross-legged on the floor, this bowl in my lap, whisking with my aching, burning arm when I suddenly realize.... I don't feel quite right.

I put the bowl down and get up just in time to do a full-tilt vomit-run-vomit to the bathroom.

After cleaning up and getting rid of the eggs, I lay down and sleep for the next 14.5 hours.

Two days later, I put eggs in a bowl, and in just a minute or two of beating them with minimal effort, they're beautifully peaked.

The cake was delicious.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

:stonk: That doesn't seem good.

Looks lovely, though.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I made my first apple pie ever. Turned out pretty drat good. I wish I got a little more color on the top crust, but the bottom crust was perfectly crispy. The only problem was that it was hard as poo poo to get out of the cast iron cleanly so it was more of an apple pie cobbler by the time it was on plates.

(yes my phone picture are always that dark inside, who knows)

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
What was wrong with the eggs? Why did they make you throw up?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

im full of poo poo posted:

What was wrong with the eggs? Why did they make you throw up?

No the eggs were fine, I was just sick. The difference in how much effort it took to beat eggs sick vs. well was just funny to me. Like, I completely and brutally failed at step 1 of a simple cake recipe.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

First try at making macarons

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
wow did not know about this at all

first time i have seen the thing on the left in my life. what are they like

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Good ones are insane and bad ones are about the worst thing you can legally put in your mouth.

e: They're a super light, sweet pastry with complementary flavor matching between either side of the pastry sandwhich and the center spread. They're super difficult to make.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

VelociBacon posted:

Good ones are insane and bad ones are about the worst thing you can legally put in your mouth.

e: They're a super light, sweet pastry with complementary flavor matching between either side of the pastry sandwhich and the center spread. They're super difficult to make.

Pretty sure they're easy to make; McDonalds here has been making them for years.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Its easy to gently caress up the shape of the macaron if you're not careful.

Pic is from a course I took a few years ago. Haven't made them since, too much effort.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I never even tried to make macarons, because I heard they're so goddamned easy to gently caress up and I'm a mediocre baker at best unless it's like, roasting a chicken.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Don't mind me was going for sarcasm

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

One is kosher for Passover!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I feel like they have a bad reputation, just like croissants and soufflé. They're not that difficult once you understand the technique and as long as you can regulate your oven temperature.

The flavor and texture was spot on in this first attempt. Only issues where a few hollow shells and some imperfect ruffles (Also I'm terrible at piping). Pretty sure I can fix all those problems next batch. I wouldn't say that two or three tries for a good product is that bad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

Im bad with the Internet and have never used Amazon.

When i lived in Michigan i could generally find Colmans in the ethnic aisle of larger supermarkets, or Cost Plus World Market if you have one of those.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

When i lived in Michigan i could generally find Colmans in the ethnic aisle of larger supermarkets, or Cost Plus World Market if you have one of those.

oh I ordered a bottle of amazon. I just never even thought of using that venue to get what I wanted. I also have a new monitor coming. Also a chair.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mexican chocolate macarons. Cinnamon flavored cookie with chocolate-chili ganache.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Beetroot and Apple, Shaved Fennel, Roast Asparagus, Crispy Salon, Horseradish Creme Fraiche

Onions glazing for...

Mushroom and Walnut Stroganoff.

Hot and Sour Green Tomato Soup, Soy Marinaded Quail Eggs, Char Sui Pork.

Mac & Cheese, Red Jalapeno & Bacon Relish (Courtesy Serious Eats)

Crispy Pigs Ears and Frise Salad, Sorrel, Carrots, Quail Eggs.

Goat Cheese Tart (The crumbly edges make it rustic)

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude
drat that food looks good. I made pizza. It has salami and cherry peppers.

bummer dude fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

bummer dude posted:

drat that food looks good. I made pizza. It has salami and cherry peppers.

this is a beautiful pizza pie

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tacos!

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Cavenagh posted:

Beetroot and Apple, Shaved Fennel, Roast Asparagus, Crispy Salon, Horseradish Creme Fraiche

Onions glazing for...

Mushroom and Walnut Stroganoff.

Hot and Sour Green Tomato Soup, Soy Marinaded Quail Eggs, Char Sui Pork.

Mac & Cheese, Red Jalapeno & Bacon Relish (Courtesy Serious Eats)

Crispy Pigs Ears and Frise Salad, Sorrel, Carrots, Quail Eggs.

Goat Cheese Tart (The crumbly edges make it rustic)

First off, absolutely fantastic! Could you possibly break down the Mushroom and walnut stroganoff recipe if you get a chance?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Nhilist posted:

First off, absolutely fantastic! Could you possibly break down the Mushroom and walnut stroganoff recipe if you get a chance?

Seconded!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I think this is what I probably did for the Mushroom Walnut Stroganoff, ensuring I come out looking my best of course:

Take about a pint of chicken / beef or veg stock, heat it. Use hot stock to re-hydrate some dried mushrooms.
Toast of some roughly chopped walnuts. They're to add a crunch here and there, not be in every fork load, so er on the side of too few. Not quite a garnish, not the meat of the dish. Reserve your nuts.
Blanche and peel a good handful of pearl onions. Brown in pan with butter. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Reserve
Add butter, oil and garlic to pan. Throw in many mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, paprika. I use halved button or crimini mushrooms. Because they're what I can get and I always have some in the fridge. Saute until they've released their moisture and are a gorgeous deep brown. Reserve.
Add a fine dice of three or four fat shallots to the pan, with oil. A couple of well populated thyme sprigs. Soften.
Add stock to pan. Scrape all the fond. You could deglaze after each step too of course. I might have done.
Season with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce.
Take a little of the stock and add it to a good blob of sour cream / creme fraiche. Whisk it in, then return mix to pan.
Add the reserved Mushrooms and Onions in. Season. Take a good quantity of pasta and toss it all together.
Chop up a good fistful of Parsley and Chervil. Use the stems. They have flavour. Mix the walnuts in, mix into the Stroganoff, toss it all, taste it all.
Serve with blob of sour cream / creme fraiche.
Drink brandy.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Casu Marzu posted:

Mexican chocolate macarons. Cinnamon flavored cookie with chocolate-chili ganache.

This sounds pretty amazing. I'm a sucker for chocolate-chilli anyway.

Lamb shank dupiaza, on saffron rice, topped with caramelised onion.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Fried chicken and potatoes! Homemade Raisin' Cane's style sauce, and a bourbon honey Sriracha glaze.

Tasty home food.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

Sure, but it's barely a recipe. Just get your skillet nice and hot with a little fat. Preheat the oven to 400ish, dont matter much.

The skin on the thighs should be as salted and dry as you can conceivably get them. Pop em in the hot skillet skin down and respect that first moment of contact: leave them unfucked-with until you can smell them nearing the burning point, then flip and do the same on the other side.
At this point, I surrounded the thighs with lemons and onions. Pour the mustard sauce in the space between thighs, leaving the skin uncoated. The meat will simmer in the mustard sauce while the skin crisps. Pepper and spice to taste, and let it bake until that skin looks irresistible. (And chicken is 165°f but it will be) Rest a few minutes. Serve with rice, quinoa, or cous-cous.

Couple pages back, but I remember this sounding great so I tried it last night

Dried & salted the skin, and shoved some cracked white pepper and ground thyme underneath the skin. That skin came out delicious. Served with steamed ears of corn and roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic reduction. The sprouts & balsamic combined with the red onion and mustard sauce from the pot is an out of this world combination, will definitely be making again. Thanks for the idea!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kumbamontu posted:

Couple pages back, but I remember this sounding great so I tried it last night

Dried & salted the skin, and shoved some cracked white pepper and ground thyme underneath the skin. That skin came out delicious. Served with steamed ears of corn and roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic reduction. The sprouts & balsamic combined with the red onion and mustard sauce from the pot is an out of this world combination, will definitely be making again. Thanks for the idea!

Oh hells yes, that looks yummy! Good choice on sprouts and corn, top of the line veg

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mustard Sauce?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Xoidanor posted:

Mustard Sauce?

Not sure what the "proper" way to make it (if there is one) is but mine was

2 Tbsp each of honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 smallish squirt ketchup
1 big rear end squirt mustard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kumbamontu posted:

Not sure what the "proper" way to make it (if there is one) is but mine was

2 Tbsp each of honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 smallish squirt ketchup
1 big rear end squirt mustard

Sounds good as gently caress to me!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Shakshukaaaaaaaaaaaaa

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Shakshukaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That place is like some MC Escher poo poo, I'm getting lost in it.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Shakshukaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Man I need to make that again; thanks for the reminder.

Last night, I upgraded my mom's "school lunch" dinner:

Local grass-fed ground beef with onion, garlic, purple carrot, and cremini mushrooms in brown gravy plus red wine and infused with fresh herbs... over red-skin mash... with peas and raw milk.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Roasted kabocha squash filled with chili (aka ground beef stew with beans and tomatoes),
topped with shredded cheese and spring onions

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Oh my god, that is loving beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

paraquat posted:

Roasted kabocha squash filled with chili (aka ground beef stew with beans and tomatoes),
topped with shredded cheese and spring onions

I am making this as soon as possible.

• Locked thread